Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sometimes I Can't Stand This Game

There's a family I've been playing for 3 generations, and I've been playing this particular household for a couple months...

...and now they're corrupted. Because of the recent events, I kinda wanted to escape into the sim world with my family, and now I can't (at least, with this particular family). I mean, I love this game, but when things go wrong, they really go wrong, which is so incredibly frustrating. This thread doesn't really have a purpose, but if anyone else wants to share corrupt household woes, I'd appreciate it. I can't be the only one who gets kinda frustrated with the sims, right?

Comments

• GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    I feel your pain. I came very close to losing my city-rebuild save, but thankfully I had a back up save! There were a few tears shed out of frustration at first though for sure.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • KandyKandy Posts: 2,008 Member
    Goulsquash wrote: »
    I feel your pain. I came very close to losing my city-rebuild save, but thankfully I had a back up save! There were a few tears shed out of frustration at first though for sure.

oh man. I know someone who lost an entire world they rebuilt... it was devastating. I'm glad you had a backup, though! My backup would kinda be like starting the game over, which... well, I'm a bit too frustrated to do that. :wink:
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    Ah, that always sucks too. Then you have expectations for how their game will go, and things rarely go the same way twice. Hopefully you can get back into the swing of things without too much anger soon! :)
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I felt that way once when the social worker took my family's baby away and the save got so badly corrupted I had to delete it because it wouldn't even load.I ended up having to start Modding my game out after that and other saves lost to corruption or glitches like EA's bugfest.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • PaullettePaullette Posts: 34 Member
    Oh my god, there are so many times where I will be playing and I will get so far and so much done in that one sitting...and forget to save. Sure enough, the game will crash and I'll lose everything I had done. When that happens I get so mad that I scratch the family or don't play for a while, ugh!
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I had it happen to me once. In my case it was when they gave us a patch. They had patched something in about the zombies, and told us to save our familes to the bin, and then start them in a fresh new game save. The mom in the family would not save at all. I could save the rest of her family, just not her. This couple/family was very special to me, and I don't get attached to very many families. I ended up saving the children, the eldest was just turned into a young adult. I didn't have the heart to save the husband without his wife, because they were that attached to each other, it would have felt more like a death if anything else. I ended up moving the daughter and son into another town, pretending that it was just the kids moving away. :'(
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    This won't fix your problems now but I recommend using "Save as" every time you save and keep backups.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Fields007Fields007 Posts: 126 Member
    I normally make 2 saves, and I never ever leave by save and quit, sometimes though the 2nd save hasnt always saved me though unfortunatly but if you are doing a massive game like you said it might be worth making a weekly save of that family, that way hopefully you can go back a week, sure I can imagine it would be depressing having to maybe go back several weeks, but at least you might be able to recover something rather than losing the whole family/game
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    This games issues really do frustrate me and sometimes make me wonder why do I bother? But in the end it always makes me come back. Sending you some :heart:
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    This won't fix your problems now but I recommend using "Save as" every time you save and keep backups.

Great advice @Simasaurus09 ... :)

I do the same thing ... and when I make any significant changes in the household I start another series of "Save As" files.
    I randomly go back and delete older save as files if I know the game has not been corrupted.

I also take the opportunity to occasionally go into "Edit Town" and then "evict" and save a household I like to the Library.
    It won't save all the stuff in the world ... But it will save the household should something become corrupted.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • KARDASH1988KARDASH1988 Posts: 136 Member
    I prefer to save as..after every play
    oY6RhfG.jpg
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    I prefer to save as..after every play

Good advice, although I do something slightly different. I make a copy of my town/game when I start up the game. Then when I save off and on throughout that play session it is to the newly named save.
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Corrupted how?
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I understand your frustration. With Sims 3, I always use Save As and rotate between, at least, 4 save names when everything is just normal gameplay. Then when something significant happens, I change to a new name and rotate between 4 new save names. And when I know I'm good and not having issues with the game, and I finally delete some of my saves, I keep at least 4. An older save, and the three newest saves.

Also, if I'm really invested in the family, I'll save them to the library every once in a while thru edit town. I'll also save their current house (separately).

I've never been extremely frustrated at Sims 3, while playing. My frustration with it comes in all the setup to install, download store and CC and mods, and all the other little bits you have to do to get the game running right.

I know this is a bit off topic, but not too much in the fact that how you got to the point where sometimes you can't stand this game, I got past that point for the first time ever with a sims game just yesterday.

I've been playing Sims 4. I should have known better, but I didn't. I saw the Dine Out and thought... hmmm, maybe that will help me enjoy that game more. I keep looking for anything that will make me not feel I wasted all the money I put in it (yeah, so I sink more money in it. Not bright, I know).

Well, don't get me wrong. Dine Out is okay. But it didn't change the core problems I have with Sims 4. But I was determined to play the game and not waste the money I just spent.

So the last few days, I've been playing Sims 4. A lot of it is troubleshooting, too, as now with an origin update, my game is crashing at start up for the first time ever.

So anyways... I was in the middle of playing and I was growing more and more frustrated at my sims. Cancelling my queued up actions, waving their arms cause they can't wait 5 seconds for the other person to come from the other room and get food out of the fridge. It was a bunch of stuff really.

I growled very loud in frustration and basically screamed, "I BLEEPING HATE YOU!"

My husband was like, "What? Did you just say you hated a Sims game?" His look and sound of shock was priceless.

In 16 years, thru all the frustration of all the sims games, I have never lost it before or gotten to the point that I hated my games.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2016
    Those of us who have played this game for a long time, with or without mods, have probably all encountered some form of sim or game corruption along the way at some point. Or had a game session that just didn't "go right." I can't imagine not using Save AS and thus keeping at least 4 recent saves with slightly different names of each ongoing game so that one can revert if something goes wrong along the way. Relying on the one backup save the game should make automatically when not changing the save name is never a safe way to proceed.

I must have around 100 saved copies of my ongoing 4.5 year old game taken throughout time and stored on different hard drives. That's overkill for most players, but the point is it shouldn't really be possible for me to lose the entire game all at once.

I think the notion of managing our own "backup" copies this way comes more naturally to those of us who in the past, back when programs, hardware, and even servers were generally less stable, managed to lose days to weeks worth of work on very large word processing documents and spreadsheets for work/school when the unexpected happened. But regardless, it's a good habit to get into to preserve at least some semblance of sanity. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    OMG this would kill me if it happened!

But as others said I save the game every 30 minutes using NRAAS saver and use different numbers and stuff and back them up just incase!!

I've had the same family for like 2 and a half years now (well the great,great,great,great,great,great+ grandchildren of the same family anyway ;D) and I would literally go out on a spree killing if anything happened to them :open_mouth:
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2016
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    I had it happen to me once. In my case it was when they gave us a patch. They had patched something in about the zombies, and told us to save our familes to the bin, and then start them in a fresh new game save. The mom in the family would not save at all. I could save the rest of her family, just not her. This couple/family was very special to me, and I don't get attached to very many families. I ended up saving the children, the eldest was just turned into a young adult. I didn't have the heart to save the husband without his wife, because they were that attached to each other, it would have felt more like a death if anything else. I ended up moving the daughter and son into another town, pretending that it was just the kids moving away. :'(
    I had exactly this happening once, and very lucky for me two saves prior to my last one, he did save properly. I have no idea what had happened to him but going back to that previous save saved things for me. Like I said that was luck though, it's a bug you don't notice when you just play them, just when you try to save them to the bin. My sim was a witch by the way, curious if yours was too? (because you mention zombies, which indicates Supernatural)

Can't you save the sim to CAS, OP? I realize she'll lose skills and everything, but when she's dear to you. And I think you can restore family ties with NRaas mods?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • loriburcherloriburcher Posts: 38 Member
    Paullette wrote: »
    Oh my god, there are so many times where I will be playing and I will get so far and so much done in that one sitting...and forget to save. Sure enough, the game will crash and I'll lose everything I had done. When that happens I get so mad that I scratch the family or don't play for a while, ugh!

No kidding! So have I. I would forget to save and the game would crash . Just try to remember to "save as" next time every now and then. hugs, Lori
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2016
    It has become a habit for me to save every night. As soon as speed 3 hits, Pavlov starts working and makes me save automatically now ;) Only while building this tip doesn't work unfortunately :s There you really have to force yourself (every other finished room for instance) to save the game or the lot to the bin.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    A few years ago my computer's graphics card broke down (the screen went pink while I was playing WA...) so I needed to get a computer. You betcha I paid extra to save my hard drive. I could stand to lose documents or photos, but not my precious sims :lol:. The moral of the story is to backup in multiple places and save all the time in case something goes wrong. Try the Saver mod, it's a real (no pun intended) life saver :wink:.

I'm curious though, what became corrupted?
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Hi :)

Yes, TS2 taught me to back up my favorite neighborhoods and TS3 has kept me in the habit. I hear TS4 is the same... it's a game thing; if you love it back it up. :(
  • R3B3CKVHR3B3CKVH Posts: 473 Member
    I always save my families and houses just in case. I'm not even sure how to do back up files, because I usually have 3-4 different games going, and my launcher only offers the main save.
    Split Reflections: A Sim Story by R3B3CKVH
    www.splitreflections.wordpress.com
    Be Sure to Subscribe
    "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
    tumblr_lz7l7oGCyn1qevqqyo1_500.gif

• McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    R3B3CKVH wrote: »
    I always save my families and houses just in case. I'm not even sure how to do back up files, because I usually have 3-4 different games going, and my launcher only offers the main save.

Just copy/paste the saves folder somewhere ;P
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    R3B3CKVH wrote: »

Always use Save AS, not regular Save and never Save & Quit. One strategy would be if the name of your ongoing game is MySunsetValley (not very imaginative, I know), change the name on the first Save AS to MySunsetValley1. The next time, MySunsetValley2, etc. When you get to 4 or 6 or however many different versions through time that you want to maintain, then start over with 1 to overwrite the oldest one.

The Saver mod prompts you to do this on a regular basis, as per its settings, and suggests the next number in line for you on the Save As.

Copying some of the save folders to be stored elsewhere, including on an external drive, is a very good idea too for other reasons. But if a game save is actually corrupt to the point where it cannot be loaded up, the exact copy of that save folder will probably be just as much so.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • loriburcherloriburcher Posts: 38 Member
    I'm curious as well, what got corrupted?