Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

♥Beginner's Modeling Bootcamp♥ ~ Closed

MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
Banner
(Closed)
The previous thread is here.
Modeling Competition Directory
Share your before and after edits here!
Note: Make sure to read this entire first post, and The Sims Modeling, Hosting, and Judging Guide before you ask questions. Thank you!

The modeling community now has a modeling forum! Everyone, even people who don't model (we have CC, stories and legacies, building, etc. sections) are welcome to join! Sims 2, Sims 3, and Sims 4 are welcome! The forum is able to be updated and adapted to anything the modeling community needs, and you won’t be banned for silly stuff like EA does. http://simmetrydesign.forumotion.com/

Simmetry Design Forum Version here.

This is an open competition! You can participate as an application model or as a lurker. Details are below!

Hello everyone, and welcome to the Beginners Editing & Modeling Competition! This competition is here to teach new models how to edit and model, and use their resources to the best of their ability.
This is more of a community project then a competition. This is because I want people to participate and have fun, and I also hope that people who already know how to edit will give their tips, write tutorials, or participate as a judge. Sims 2, Sims 3, and Sims 4 are allowed to participate, so use whichever game you prefer!
Even if you know how to edit already I suggest you follow us for each assignment to see if you can gain any new tips that you maybe didn’t know before. I even taught @Eliavah some new tricks, and she’s an advanced editor!
Banner
If you don’t want one of the prizes when you win, say so.
*The CC pack (or individual items) are not to be shared among friends or published by you. It is for personal use only.
1st Place:
♥Exclusive CC pack made by @Eliavah and I. (Contains two dresses, shoes, and some accessories. More may be added later.)
♥Ability to test my CC before it is released, and will possibly receive a few more exclusives in the future
♥First access to my modeling pose pack
♥Maxis nomination of your choice, if wanted
♥Signature

2nd Place:
♥Choice of one of the exclusive items in the CC pack
♥Signature

3rd Place:
♥Choice of one of the exclusive items in the CC pack
♥Signature

4th-Max # Place
♥A participant signature, because everyone deserves a little something!

All models
♥(WIP, may or may not make it) A chance at a signature such as Most Improved, Best Dressed, Fierce Competitor, Judge's Favorite, etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quick-links:
Model Wall
Tutorials
Assignments
Challenges
Submissions
Assignment Results
Assignment Results Continued
Lurker Results
Challenge Results
Challenge Results Continued
Previous A & C Winners
Banner
This competition runs very differently from most, and that is because I want it as relaxed as possible for everyone. Please make sure to read through everything to understand this competition.
  • There are no eliminations, even when you submit late or are a no-show. This is an open and laidback competition.
  • The winner of the competition will be chosen based on several points/discussion rather than whoever wins the finale. This is to make it fairer. Previous assignments, how much they’ve improved, how creative they were, plus a few more, will help determine the winner of the competition. This means that even if you are at the bottom each week, you still have a chance to win. (Depending on feedback this may or may not change).
  • Runs for 6 assignments/challenges (plus mock) with each assignment/challenge lasting for two weeks.
  • Two weeks are to give everybody enough time to juggle other time commitments, including other competitions.
  • Assignments are the required material for each week. Challenges are a completely optional but highly recommended edit, and are meant to be difficult compared to assignments. Challenges are scored slightly harder than assignments.
  • I will only make assignment/challenge winning signatures for those that request one.
  • (WIP, may or may not make it) You have a chance of winning an extra signature at the end of the comp based on stuff such as Most Improved, Best Dressed, Fierce Competitor, Judge's Favorite, etc. along with your placement signature for the competition.
  • Assignments/Challenges are all different with varied themes, which means we have some that are fashion based, editorial, fantasy, action, and sci-fi to teach you how to deal with different themes. Assignments are more fashion/editorial based, with possibly a few whimsical touches added, while challenges are a mix of everything, but focusing on the fantasy, sci-fi, etc. Think of this competition as an introduction competition to the world of modeling. Also, the difficulty goes up each week for both.
  • What you learn is cumulative for each assignment. This means that once you learn how to cut sims properly and edit the errors away, you must keep doing so for each assignment. Obviously, some things won’t be used again, and that is okay, but if we spot something you should have done we will mention this during scores.
  • If you are struggling with ideas, need help, or want to attempt an idea but you're not sure how, please ask us! We are here to help you. While we can't do any of the editing/work for you, we can link, write our own mini-tutorials, or explain in great detail on how to do something, etc. Please do no hesitate to ask us!
  • Since this is laidback and open, you can either sign up or submit whenever you want. If you want prizes though, you must sign up and submit for every assignment. If you don’t want prizes, but still want to participate, you can submit anytime for any assignment/challenge as a lurker.
  • Lurkers may complete and submit any assignment/challenge past the due date, and they will still be scored.
  • Lurker assignments will be placed into a different post when scored and ranked. Lurker and application model challenges will be ranked together.
  • If all application models submit the assignment before the deadline, and no one is working on the challenge, the competition will move forward. Lurkers may still submit whenever they feel like it.
  • Extensions are changed in this comp, they will instead act as a notification of being late. This is to keep the competition on track. If you do not notify me that you will be late, you will lose a few points once you submit. If you do notify me, you will not lose any points. Once you submit we will score you and place you into your respective rank, so in the end being late doesn't really affect you as long as we're notified. If an emergency happened the day of the due date and you were unable to notify me, you won’t lose points (please do not abuse this).
  • If you would like to participate still, but must disappear for a few weeks (vacation, emergencies, work, etc.), you can notify me. When you come back, which must be before the finale, you must submit ALL assignments you missed in order to be eligible for prizes or placement. Scoring will be a bit more lenient if you were gone until the finale due to the rushing of submissions.
  • We (the tutorial writers) only cover Gimp and Photoshop at the moment. Eventually I will translate everything (if possible) into Pant.net for those that use it too. However, I will always recommend Gimp as a free editing software, instead of Paint.net, as it is more powerful. If you can, I further recommend Photoshop. There is a reason why it is famous!
That should be it. If you have any questions please post here or message me.

Here is what our schedule looks like for tutorials. Note that this is not final and may change at any moment, nor does it show all the tutorials to be made. We are doing the basics for each category as this is a beginner's competition. More in-depth tutorials and techniques will be done in the intermediate and advanced competitions that are planned for later.
Schedule:
Week/Round 1:
  • Setting Up Your Game
  • Modeling Terms
  • Fashion Terms Moved to another week since it is so massive, but I'm not sure which week.
  • Get to Know Your Program
  • Editing Basics and Tips
  • Beginning Your Assignment/Challenge
  • Last minute adjustments
Week/Round 2:
  • Cutting out Sims and Objects
  • Adding in Objects
  • Adding in Backgrounds
  • General handling of backgrounds/objects and blending
Week/Round 3:
  • Corrections (fixing issues with the body and clothes, etc.)
Week/Round 4:
  • Adding Effects (nothing hardcore, snow, sand, sparkles, rain, adding tints or filters, etc.)
  • Brushes, Fonts, Borders, Actions, Stocks, and PSD's
Week/Round 5:
  • Sim Editing (skin shading for instance)
  • Shadows and Lighting (basics)
Week/Round 6:
  • No tutorials! This is finale week where you show the judges just how much you’ve actually improved. Bring your best A game!
Banner
  • If you are just now joining us in the modeling competitions, please read my modeling guide located here. It explains everything you need to know.
  • Please use Gimp or Photoshop (follow this guide to download Adobe’s Free CS2). If you would like to purchase/subscribe to the latest PS for only about $9.99 (which includes another editing program in the package, plus more), click here. Or you can download PS from a friend (or find a copy online).
  • Prizes are only for those who have been here since Assignment 1 and didn’t miss an assignment. This is to be fair and because we can’t make a decision if someone submitted only one assignment. (We may think of something for lurkers though.)
  • Be respectful! No fighting, insulting, or belittling yourselves. (Seriously, we were all beginners once, so don’t feel upset!)
  • If you are verging on intermediate (meaning you already know at least half of the material but nothing more) you are still allowed to participate. Full intermediate (you know everything and more), or advanced, are not allowed to participate. If you are unsure of your level, feel free to message me privately, or post here, with a link to your image host/album.
  • Sims 2, Sims 3, and Sims 4 beginners are allowed.
  • You may use one sim of any gender (I do mean any!), but they must be YA. No supernatural or fantasy sims. Any size, or race, models are welcome too. Models used in previous or current competitions are allowed.
  • CC is allowed and highly recommended, but not required.
  • Remember, models are not allowed to be altered during the competition. This is a standard requirement for majority of comps and is explained in the guide. You can't change the body, skin, eyes, skin details (freckles, beauty marks, scars, etc.), and tattoos (if possible for skin details and tattoos, I know some are placed with makeup and can accidentally be changed). You can change the hair color and style though (this may change depending on the host), as well as anything else if the host/assignment/challenge asks for it. For example, if we do a fantasy assignment/challenge that requires a creature edit, you can add contacts, change the skin, and do other things to make the creature as close as possible. Once the assignment/challenge is over you revert back to the models original appearance.
  • I am now allowing redos/resubmitting to help beginner's correct their mistakes and to make this season easier for tutorials. Do your absolute best to not change the theme/story of your assignment, but feel free to make corrections whenever. Inform me when changes are made, otherwise the front page will not be updated with your entry and the judges use that to judge. Do not alter it 4+ times, at that point just take it down and work on it without submitting.
  • Editing is obviously allowed, and is required. No faceplastering (pasting real/drawn faces or body parts onto a sim, or the other way around) or photoskinning (taking eyes, noses, skin details, etc. and placing them onto your sim). Taking accessories, clothes, etc. is welcome, but do not go overboard.
  • For multiple reasons, please refrain from attempting advanced techniques, such as hair drawing, in the assignments, but feel free to do them in the challenges (will still be scored like normal though). While it is not against the rules and you are still allowed to do them, note that you can lose points for failing at them, just like with any other attempted material, beginner or not. Instead, focus on the basics since that is why you are here. Basics are the foundation of any edit, to be successful and move ahead you must know them well. (I mentioned this already in the Assignment scoring.)
  • If you suffer from a terrible graphics card, meaning you can’t set your settings to high during picture taking without your computer freaking out, please make sure to inform me when you submit your application.
  • Extensions are different this time (including if you need to drop). Please read up above in the “What to expect” section as they are a bit too long to post here.
  • Everything is due by 11:59 pm EST. I will include a timer, but here is a nifty timezone converter: http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/
  • If you have questions or concerns, say something! Don’t hesitate and cost yourself points or stress because you weren’t sure of something.
  • Have fun and learn! ;)
Post edited by MizoreYukii on

Comments

• MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    edited October 2016
    Banner
    Signups for prizes are closed! This is an open competition though, so feel free to pop in whenever to participate.

Model Wall

Needs to check in

Checked in

Assignment submitted

Who uses what
    This is for my personal use, it helps me know how to help each person.
    Banner
    Judge Headshots

To be a full-time/guest judge (meaning you know how to do basic editing and have modeling experience), or to write a tutorial, please contact me! Thank you!
    edited October 2016
    Banner
    Our tutorial links go here! This time the tutorials will be posted in a side thread.
    Note: The tutorials will be updated and changed over time. I will post in the thread when an update is made. If you see any errors, or have more information to add to one of the tutorials, please post here or contact me. Currently the tutorials are only for Gimp and Photoshop, but some material from Gimp can be applied to Paint.net. I will eventually translate everything (if possible) to Paint.net for those that use it, however, I will always recommend Gimp as it is a more powerful free editor.

If you are still having trouble with something in these tutorials, or need more help, please post here or contact me or the other authors.

Please read these in order. I give tips and new information about the programs in each tutorial and they are written as if you read the previous ones.

The tutorials are going to receive updates over the course of the new competition, as they need some work.
    To avoid overwhelming the new beginners, I have not linked the previous tutorials. If you would like to read them now rather than wait, please go here.
    Banner

Banner
    Banner
    edited February 2019
    Banner Assignment
    Even lurkers can participate, so I encourage you to join us!

Assignment

Requirements

Due date: NA - [url=]Timer[/url]
    Example(s):

Banner

Banner
    Note: The scoring rubric may be changed or adjusted as the contest continues, especially for certain assignments/challenges. Please keep this in mind!

Scoring Rubric
    Image Quality - /10
    Image Composition - /10
    Creativity - /10
    Model Appearance - /10
    Use of Tutorials - /5
    Requirements - /5
    Total - /50

Each week will be scored according to what you know. For example, during A1 we will not focus on or subtract too many points for having badly cut out sims since we technically haven't learned it yet! We still have to deduct at least one point though, otherwise there would not be much to score on and everyone would have perfect scores as a result (I'm sure you'd disagree though!). xD Attempting advanced material however, such as hair drawing, will result in subtracted points if done incorrectly. Note that we are not discouraging you from attempting advanced stuff, just know that if it fails badly (ex. overly smudged hair) we will have to deduct points in the category it effects. We'll give feedback on what you attempt of course and give pointers, but we would prefer you not bother in the first place. We want you to focus on beginner material only, with the occasional intermediate technique thrown in, to make sure you've got the basics down perfectly. The basics are the foundation for every edit and knowing them is key to success, so please just focus on what you have come to achieve.

Scoring Breakdown
    Image Quality - Your image should not be blurry, nor too sharp or pixelated. Other obvious things, like a white/other colored outline around the sim, overly blurred sim edges/hair (you shouldn't be able to see them!), horrible background quality, etc. are also considered and looked at. Errors like glitching clothes, fingers, hair, etc. will be looked at too.
    Image Composition - Everything should work together, have a purpose, and be proportionate. For example, don't add a dolphin in the middle of a building for the heck of it (unless asked to). :tongue: Your image and everything you add to it should be accurate and proportionate, meaning your sim should not be bigger than a house (unless the assignment calls for it). Images should also not be "empty", meaning you shouldn't have wide open space with nothing in it, and I do mean nothing/bare minimum. Filters, lighting, effects, etc. are considered as well.
    Creativity - Did you go above and beyond? Was your idea out of the box? Are you truly using your resources to the best of your ability? Is your image similar to another submitted image?
    Model Appearance - Was the model styled appropriately for their location and/or situation? And if the requirements says so, were they fashionable? Did you remember to accessorize for that fashion shot? How is their pose?
    Use of Tutorials - How well did you follow and use the tutorials for this assignment? And whether or not you skipped a tutorial that would have helped your image, such as skipping filters.
    Requirements - Read the requirements carefully and follow them. This one is always easy points.
    edited October 2016
    Banner Challenges
    Please remember that challenges are meant to challenge you, so it's okay if you struggle! You will encounter difficult edits like these in intermediate and advanced competitions, so they are great practice for future competitions.
    Also, even lurkers can participate, so I encourage you to join us!

Challenges are optional. If you don't want to do them, can't do them, etc., you are not required to.

Challenge
    The predicted levels I write below may be different depending on the person and what they attempt in their edits.
    Level: Low/Medium Advanced

Requirements

Due date: NA - [url=]Timer[/url]
    Example(s):

Banner
    Banner
    Note: The scoring rubric may be changed or adjusted as the contest continues, especially for certain assignments/challenges. Please keep this in mind!
    Challenges will be scored slightly harder than assignments, but not by much.

Scoring Rubric
    Image Quality - /10
    Image Composition - /10
    Creativity - /10
    Model Appearance - /10
    Requirements - /10
    Total - /50

Since challenges are meant to be more engaging and test your abilities, we will be scoring like a normal competition compared to the assignments. That means we will be scoring on everything as we normally would, even if we didn't cover it in the tutorials. Feel free to attempt advanced material (like hair drawing) here, but remember that it is still scored like a normal competition.

Scoring Breakdown
    Image Quality - Your image should not be blurry, nor too sharp or pixelated. Other obvious things, like a white/other colored outline around the sim, overly blurred sim edges/hair (you shouldn't be able to see them!), horrible background quality, etc. are also considered and looked at. Errors like glitching clothes, fingers, hair, etc. will be looked at too.
    Image Composition - Everything should work together, have a purpose, and be proportionate. For example, don't add a dolphin in the middle of a building for the heck of it (unless asked to). :tongue: Your image and everything you add to it should be accurate and proportionate, meaning your sim should not be bigger than a house (unless the assignment calls for it). Images should also not be "empty", meaning you shouldn't have wide open space with nothing in it, and I do mean nothing/bare minimum. Filters, lighting, effects, blending, etc. are considered as well.
    Creativity - Did you go above and beyond? Was your idea out of the box? Are you truly using your resources to the best of your ability? Is your image similar to another submitted image?
    Model Appearance - Was the model styled appropriately for their location and/or situation? And if the requirements says so, were they fashionable? Did you remember to accessorize for that fashion shot? How is their pose?
    Requirements - Read the requirements carefully and follow them. This one is always easy points.
    edited October 2016
    Banner Submissions
    Banner
    Emma with Sasha
    23u1jdu.jpg
    49007-50.jpg
    cocktails-520x306.png
    sg-tr_1.jpg

Alex with Nina
    erfFEfm.png
    CyAiVC5.png
    IjADSii.jpg
    4cOXMl7.png

Trish with Daisy
    oh36zo.jpg
    24c6wsz.jpg20qxqv8.jpg

Pebblycat with Sarah
    Sarah%20Rain_zps1ctnuelk.png
    Umbrella_zps0hvwfkbk.jpg
    earmuffs_zpsraldgwco.jpg

MissBirdie with Elle
    summer_zps0bjsahec.png
    added_zpsujjfbzeg.png

HappyPanda with Vivian
    hYftBfg.jpg
    m9Bg2go.jpgUI5nDPe.jpg

Jen with Alysia
    summer-nature-wallpaper-background_zpslwyrvbo9.png
    3%20cutouts%20for%20assignment%202_zpsp2rf1ohp.png

Penguin with Sabrina
    W2ij0vF.jpg
    dDAjDpE.png
    samTNun.jpg
    HBQXQYY.jpg

Pammiechick with Kasey
    autumn2.jpg
    2663936-colorful-autumn-leaves-over-white-background-with-clipping-path.jpg
    images.jpg
    leaf2.png

Banner Challenges
    Emma with Sasha
    2pyxpvm.jpg
    pentagon.jpg

MissBirdie with Elle
    avantgarde_zpsb7ze6k4r.png
    19.53.b6.EUR001.RE_01.pngstadium-cup-16-oz.jpgfeather_PNG12958.png

Jen with Alysia
    3d%20abstract%20desktop%20wallpapers%2010_zpsij3ezcmj.png
    il_340x270.589364180_iseq_zpscqyvwvg6.jpg0fee15d8-98ff-4cc1-8777-42d68d46be1c_zpsxeufatxn.jpg84415201-9b25-4783-ad1d-9bc73aa39786_zpsvlwywhvd.jpg
    15432039e61e509945dc86b5205ca65b_zpsiosdgszc.jpg49453be3ca7c6430e7088adcba517f9a_zpswgg3grzh.jpgimages%209_zpsclfbfsjp.jpg
    edited October 2016
    Banner Assignment Results
    Note: Read the other models' feedback and scores too. This will help you know what else to avoid and so you don't repeat a mistake that someone else did, or teach you something that you weren't aware of before.
    Please remember that these comments are here to help you improve, and that they are not in anyway meant to be mean or make you upset. Remember that we are also human, we make mistakes. If you have questions about the feedback or scores please ask here or message the judge. If you see a mistake (ex. scores are calculated wrong), please point it out.
    edited October 2016
    edited October 2016
    Banner Lurker
    Lurker assignments go here, unless we have an influx of challenges, then lurker challenges go here as well.
    edited October 2016
    Banner C1
    Note: Read the other models' feedback and scores too. This will help you know what else to avoid and so you don't repeat a mistake that someone else did, or teach you something that you weren't aware of before.
    Please remember that these comments are here to help you improve, and that they are not in anyway meant to be mean or make you upset. Remember that we are also human, we make mistakes. If you have questions about the feedback or scores please ask here or message the judge. If you see a mistake (ex. scores are calculated wrong), please point it out.
    edited October 2016
    edited October 2016
    Banner Previous Winners
    Previous assignment and challenge winners go here.
  • JoyfulSimsJoyfulSims Posts: 287 Member
    edited February 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by JoyfulSims on
  • JenLadyBird88JenLadyBird88 Posts: 553 Member
    JoyfulSims wrote: »
    Please don't randomly tag me. I choose the competitions I participate in myself and it makes no difference whether you tag me or not, it actually confuses me a lot. I'm currently not participating in any more competition since I'm in two already.

why are you being so rude? @MizoreYukii is helping people to do better and you could only say no thank you please :)
  • JenLadyBird88JenLadyBird88 Posts: 553 Member
    im loving to join, thank you for all your help :heart:
  • buydebugbuydebug Posts: 197 Member
    Please make sure there remains a spot for me!!! I'm definitely interested. Thank you for the warm welcome to the modeing community :kissing_heart:
    A little sad that no one else has officially reserved or posted yet, but a slow start is kind of expected I guess. :sweat_smile: I wonder if me tagging both threads at the same time caused everyone to miss this one? The view count didn't go up much since I was last on. *Scratches head in confusion*
    Maybe I need to post some pictures of what is going to be in the pack to entice people? :sunglasses:

@JenLadyBird88 So happy to have you on board! This is going to be fun! *Dances*

@buydebug Sure thing! And you're welcome. ;)
    Updated the opening post with new prize information and edited the "What to Expect" section a bit so some sections make more sense.
  • PebblycatPebblycat Posts: 861 Member
    Reserve a spot for me please :)
    My Origin ID: Pebblycat
    Visit Pebblycat's Showcase to see what I've created
  • Chaos_FairyChaos_Fairy Posts: 324 Member
    Please reserve me a spot - your tutorials are amazing, Mizzie and Jojos model pics are always fabulous, so I am really looking forward to learning lots from you 2 <3
    @Pebblycat Yaaay! *Claps* You got it!

@Chaos_Fairy Thank you! Reserved! <3

Heading to bed now, I wound up staying awake till 9 am again. :sweat_smile: Schedule is all out of whack from getting this comp and the other thread up! Lol!
  • EmmaSmileEmmaSmile Posts: 1,843 Member
    Hey! This looks great. I'll be sure to sign up soon, so reserve me a spot for sure!
    deva4j.jpg
  • Zita1966zZita1966z Posts: 9,641 Member
    I need some TLC and serious touching up on my editing. Count me in :) Yeah
  • LeslieM25LeslieM25 Posts: 2,766 Member
    Yay! @MizoreYukii I'm so happy you got this up and running! I'm not entering but I'll be hanging out here a lot and checking out everyone's stuff. :smile:
    Come check out my poses and more on my Simblr!
    http://lesliem25.tumblr.com/
    GqsONVc.gif
  • gramatiquegramatique Posts: 526 Member
    I think I'll just lurk around this time. Good luck to those who wish to enter though!

Though that haute couture is very, very tempting...
  • xJojoxxJojox Posts: 6,878 Member
    @gramatique - maybe you can guest judge for our host :)