Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 has already sold 5 million copies

Comments

• PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Scobre wrote: »

The Sims 2 only sold 6 million because most PC's couldn't handle it back in the day. That's why it sold 7 million on other platforms.
    It's also why EA released performance friendly version of the game: Life Stories & Pet Stories. They were actually quite popular and only $30.

I knew so many people that played those instead of the actual game.

---

SimGuruNinja seems to be referring only to the base game in his comment and confirmation in his reply,
    What? That isn't true. The Sims 2 actually ran better than the Sims 3 did. But yes, it was nice having a laptop version separate from the PC games. There is nothing wrong with Sims being on console either. I wish they had done that for the Sims 3 and 4. Would have less complaints of performance and not having enough content that way. Both are two extremes to cater to only one type of computer. I wish people would remember that there wouldn't even be a Sims 4 if the Sims 1, 2, and 3 hadn't sold well. I think I'm with @luthienrising these iteration debates are becoming pointless bickering.

In 2004, most people didn't have a strong PC. The Sims 2 does run really well, but only if you had the PC to run it. Most people in 2004 didn't have the type of video card to run The Sims 2. They were still standard up until 2009 or so.
    By 2007 or so, people caught up but by then The Sims 3 was coming out.

That's why EA pushed out Life Stories and Pet Stories. To use the processer instead of video card for lots of things.

I'm just saying The Sims 2 not being a huge hit was not due to it flopping it was due to the fact people just didn't have the PC for it.

The Sims 4 almost outselling The Sims 2 in 18 months is probably due to the opposite, lots of people can play it. Finally a Sims game where the entire audience can play it. And with the new lighting, it looks AMAZING on high, but can be played on a toaster if need be.
    I think you're highly exaggerating with the term "flop" here...TS2 did not flop in the slightest.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    TS2 platform games didn't come out in the first 2 years, did they? I don't remember.... I just bought them because they were different. :lol:
    It didn't come out until the fourth quarter of 2005. Source: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims_2_(console) The Sims 2 was released in September 14, 2004. So consoles came out a year later. The Sims 2 sold 6 million on PC and 13 million across all platforms as of 2012. Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/587-best-selling-game-list.html
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited June 2016

The Sims 3 was front loaded and died quickly, which is probably one of the reasons why EA were going to try online.

It sold heaps in 2009, and the sold barely anything in the following 5 years. It sold about 6 - 7 million. EA said it sold 10 million on all platforms by 2014. Which even includes things like Mobile and Console.

The Sims 4 is at least selling 20 months on quite strongly, which gives the impression it may live on longer than 3 did.

Which is a shame because 3 could have been saved if EA fixed it. A non-hardcore fan wouldn't have understood the "fixes" for trapped Sims, or lost Cars etc that slow the game down.

EA didn't need to make an online game, they just needed to fix the game they had.

EA said it sold 10 million on all platforms by 2011:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2011/04/06/the-sims-live-life-to-the-fullest-in-eas-the-sims-3-generations-expansion-pack

I don't recall hearing that it "died out quickly." In fact the Sims 3 starter pack was number 2 on the same list that put Sims 4 in first place in 2014: http://simsvip.com/2015/05/29/esa-report-the-sims-4-top-selling-pc-game-of-2014/

Do you have a source?
    IHJCfa6.jpg
    edited June 2016

In 2004, most people didn't have a strong PC. The Sims 2 does run really well, but only if you had the PC to run it. Most people in 2004 didn't have the type of video card to run The Sims 2. They were still standard up until 2009 or so.

That's why EA pushed out Life Stories and Pet Stories. To use the processer instead of video card for lots of things.

I'm just saying The Sims 2 not being a huge hit was not due to it flopping it was due to the fact people just didn't have the PC for it.

The Sims 4 almost outselling The Sims 2 in 18 months is probably due to the opposite, lots of people can play it. Finally a Sims game where the entire audience can play it. And with the new lighting, it looks AMAZING on high, but can be played on a toaster if need be.
    Like I said, speak for yourself. I didn't even know about video cards back then and it still ran great. I ran it on a desktop, not a laptop of course. I was in the silent majority at the time and yes the Sims 2 ran well on multiple computers at my house. Anyway, the "sides" debates are just throwing this topic off topic. Why not celebrate the Sims 4 sales figures being released instead of bashing previous games that built it? This should be a happy day. I had to stop taking you seriously after calling the Sims 2 a flop anyway. XD It is still a fan favorite even after 12 years later. I call that a success. Still my go to game. :smile:
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    edited June 2016
    Woah.

Let's not get carried away here.

Define sold.

EA could sell x million copies of TS4 - 50% might get a refund (ie return it), then re-buy the game on sale.

EA, being EA, would just stack the sales on top of each other.

Great Game Guarantee can't be factored in here - although it probabaly has - multiple times.

Some people may have activated the return policy multiple times everytime there is a sale.

There was a kid in Germany who installed the TS4 dozens of times - just to see if it got any better - he ain't stupid.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @SimGuruDrake Thanks for popping in :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    TheSimer wrote: »
    It is pretty much confirmed now :)
    Thanks to The Simscraper and Simguru Ninja
    KT0YDZM.jpg

I hate to say this, but he can't know this either. NPD Group in trying to stay relevant puts out wildly inaccurate charts that they try to pass off as far more accurate than they are. Here's how they get their numbers -- retail sales (this is pretty good) plus consumer surveys of a fairly small sample which they hope is representative to learn of digital sales.

It's why you don't see EA touting (officials from EA, not a guru) how Sims 4 is the best selling game of the year for two years running with Sims 3 still at number 2. Because they just don't know.

While he could know how many copies of Sims 4 has sold digitally, Steam doesn't release its sales figures (neither does Apple). So there's no way of knowing who released the best selling PC game.

The ESA (the people who release the yearly charts on this stuff) is a coalition of nearly every major game developer/publisher. This includes EA, Ubisoft, PWE, Blizzard, Bethesda, Microsoft, Disney, and many many more. I think they know their own sales.
    edited June 2016
    plopppo wrote: »
    Woah.

Define sold.

EA could sell x million copies of TS4 - 50% might get a refund (ie return it), then re-buy the game on sale.

Great Game Guarantee can't be factored in here - although it probabaly has - multiple times.

Some people may have activated the return policy multiple times everytime there is a sale.

There was a kid in Germany who installed the TS4 dozens of times - just to see if it got any better - he ain't plum.

Interesting points.

But you you constantly buy and refund a game every other day though?

I mean you could buy TS4 on a Monday, refund it on a Tuesday, buy it later that day only to refund it again the next morning?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    TheSimer wrote: »
    It is pretty much confirmed now :)
    Thanks to The Simscraper and Simguru Ninja
    KT0YDZM.jpg

I hate to say this, but he can't know this either. NPD Group in trying to stay relevant puts out wildly inaccurate charts that they try to pass off as far more accurate than they are. Here's how they get their numbers -- retail sales (this is pretty good) plus consumer surveys of a fairly small sample which they hope is representative to learn of digital sales.

It's why you don't see EA touting (officials from EA, not a guru) how Sims 4 is the best selling game of the year for two years running with Sims 3 still at number 2. Because they just don't know.

While he could know how many copies of Sims 4 has sold digitally, Steam doesn't release its sales figures (neither does Apple). So there's no way of knowing who released the best selling PC game.

The ESA (the people who release the yearly charts on this stuff) is a coalition of nearly every major game developer/publisher. This includes EA, Ubisoft, PWE, Blizzard, Bethesda, Microsoft, Disney, and many many more. I think they know their own sales.

The ESA has also criticized the NPD, even though they use their numbers. NPD doesn't take digital sales into account and The ESA feels that's somewhat misleading.

http://n4g.com/news/1850847/esa-slams-npd-for-misleading-2015-video-game-sales-numbers
    IHJCfa6.jpg
    Simanite wrote: »
    So they've earned approx. $300,000,000 from the base game yet they complain about the cost and time it takes to make things in add ons?!

Who complains? We like to explain how game development works, they aren't complaints they are the facts :)
    It is actually interesting hearing how it works. It was nice hearing from the Gurus that making a life simulation game is challenging and probably why a big competitor hasn't entered the market yet although there have been a few similar games in the past. I hope that the Gurus come on forums when they can to explain how things work more. I've been enjoying the Simulation Tech thread. Congrats on the 5 million sales. It still is a new and scary experience for me since joining forums. I spent so many years hiding away in the Sims games, I never really bothered wondering what the community is like or who worked on the Sims games. It wasn't until I joined Gaiaonline in 2010 that I ran into a former Maxoid artist for the first time.

I really hope that more play styles are catered to. I'm still not enjoying feeling alienated from this iteration I admit. :( I would like to have that feeling changed and not remain like how it did for the Sims 3. I'm sick of having mixed feelings with the Sims 4. I want to enjoy it like how I used to. Not sure if it will take a miracle to do but I'd like to be proven wrong that the Sims 4 can be a game that players like me and others can enjoy. I didn't speak up with not being happy with the Sims 3 and I still have doubts with being more vocal with the Sims 4. I miss being able to play my dysfunctional family stories and building to my heart's content with having plenty of space. I don't know if I'm making sense, but the Sims 4 still feels like I'm a baby confined to the crib object. I want to be able to explore more with my creativity and stories.
    @Scobre well said :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    plopppo wrote: »
    Woah.

Define sold.

There was a kid in Germany who installed the TS4 dozens of times - just to see if it got any better - he ain't plum.

Interesting points.

But you you constantly buy and refund a game every other day though?

I mean you could buy TS4 on a Monday, refund it on a Tuesday, buy it later that day only to refund it again the next morning?

There's limitations on the return policy:
    Refund requests can be made within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game’s release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first. And if you purchase a new EA game within the first 30 days of its release date and can’t play it due to technical reasons within EA’s control, you can request a refund within 72 hours after you first launch the game instead of 24.
    However, you can re-purchase games that you have previously returned - ie you can buy a game full price to try it, then refund it and re-purchase it on sale.

ie, someone can buy TS4, think it is okay - return it, then re-purchase it on sale and probably get it in a bundle.

The point I am making is - do EA count this as mutiple units sold or one sale?
  • Icy_LavaIcy_Lava Posts: 5,461 Member
    edited June 2016
    @plopppo I doubt they even consider refunds in that figure because it would look really dreary if they did. It always sounds "oooh! We sold this many", as opposed to a very accurate figure. And if it was repurchased after a refund, they probably count that too.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

The Sims 2 only sold 6 million because most PC's couldn't handle it back in the day. That's why it sold 7 million on other platforms.
    It's also why EA released performance friendly version of the game: Life Stories & Pet Stories. They were actually quite popular and only $30.

I knew so many people that played those instead of the actual game.

---

SimGuruNinja seems to be referring only to the base game in his comment and confirmation in his reply,
    What? That isn't true. The Sims 2 actually ran better than the Sims 3 did. But yes, it was nice having a laptop version separate from the PC games. There is nothing wrong with Sims being on console either. I wish they had done that for the Sims 3 and 4. Would have less complaints of performance and not having enough content that way. Both are two extremes to cater to only one type of computer. I wish people would remember that there wouldn't even be a Sims 4 if the Sims 1, 2, and 3 hadn't sold well. I think I'm with @luthienrising these iteration debates are becoming pointless bickering.

I think you're highly exaggerating with the term "flop" here...TS2 did not flop in the slightest.

I said the Sims 2 was not a huge hit because of it flopping (as in the fact it sold only 6 million doesn't not make it a flop) I said for the time, it was good.

People are saying the fact that the game sold almost what The Sims 2 did in 8 years or whatever doesn't make 2 a flop compared to 4.

Like I said, speak for yourself. I didn't even know about video cards back then and it still ran great. I ran it on a desktop, not a laptop of course. I was in the silent majority at the time and yes the Sims 2 ran well on multiple computers at my house. Anyway, the "sides" debates are just throwing this topic off topic. Why not celebrate the Sims 4 sales figures being released instead of bashing previous games that built it? This should be a happy day. I had to stop taking you seriously after calling the Sims 2 a flop anyway. XD It is still a fan favorite even after 12 years later. I call that a success. Still my go to game. :smile:

You've misread my post. I never said it was a flop.
    I said the reason why The Sims 4 has almost sold The Sims 2, IS NOT because the Sims 2 was a flop. It was because most people didn't have a good enough PC.

This is factual, because that's why laptop friendly versions exists.

I'm saying, just because the Sims 4 may be about to outsell 2, doesn't make 2 a "weak seller" because there is context around it.

The Sims 3 was front loaded and died quickly, which is probably one of the reasons why EA were going to try online.

It sold heaps in 2009, and the sold barely anything in the following 5 years. It sold about 6 - 7 million. EA said it sold 10 million on all platforms by 2014. Which even includes things like Mobile and Console.

The Sims 4 is at least selling 20 months on quite strongly, which gives the impression it may live on longer than 3 did.

Which is a shame because 3 could have been saved if EA fixed it. A non-hardcore fan wouldn't have understood the "fixes" for trapped Sims, or lost Cars etc that slow the game down.

EA didn't need to make an online game, they just needed to fix the game they had.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2011/04/06/the-sims-live-life-to-the-fullest-in-eas-the-sims-3-generations-expansion-pack

I don't recall hearing that it "died out quickly." In fact the Sims 3 starter pack was number 2 on the same list that put Sims 4 in first place in 2014: http://simsvip.com/2015/05/29/esa-report-the-sims-4-top-selling-pc-game-of-2014/

Do you have a source?

EA said in 2011 that it had just reached 10 million. In 2014, they said it was "over 10 million" which means it didn't cross over the 11 million mark.

The link is on SimsVIP's website, when EA wrote up a article about the Sims in early 2014.
    @plopppo wrote: »
    Woah.

Define sold.

There's a specific amount of time before a game denotes as a sale, which is why companies wait to release sale figures if any at all.

By law, you cannot count any purchased goods as a sale until the refund validation period is over. The same way you cannot count a "service" as yours until the cooling off period is over.

They don't count a sale as soon as the game flys off the shelf.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    @charlotteprice Sure they lure out. Every company do but not as EA does. When you buy a nice pair of shoes, you do it willingly. Nobody forces you to buy them. You bought them because you wanted them.

However what EA does is to FORCE you to buy their expansions and packs. Why do you think the base game was stripped of everything people loved and get used to see? Because they know that as we want them so much, we will buy without thinking. Let's talk about the dishwasher. It was available on the base game since Sims 1 so obviously it would be logical to find it on the Sims 4 basegame as well right? Instead you could ONLY get it by buying the kitchen stuff pack, an useless one except for the dishwasher. As people wants the dishwasher they have no choice but to buy the pack. That logic works for every single one thing. The dishwasher is just one example among many other. The Jacuzzi is another example. Just open your eyes.

Like I said, I won't invest a dime on that game because it will never end. If that's what the future sims game will look like, TS3 will be my last one.

My eyes are open now after a long well rested sleep, LOL

I don't feel I am being forced to buy anything, but I do buy everything because I choose to. To me, everything they have came out with is worth the money I paid for it. Each pack has good stuff in it and I don't use everything in them, only what I want.

When I buy a pair of shoes, its because I need them because my other ones is worn out, I don't keep a stash of shoes around. I have never ever been forced to buy anything in my life. I buy what I want or need.
    edited June 2016

You've misread my post. I never said it was a flop.
    I said the reason why The Sims 4 has almost sold The Sims 2, IS NOT because the Sims 2 was a flop. It was because most people didn't have a good enough PC.

This is factual, because that's why laptop friendly versions exists.

I'm saying, just because the Sims 4 may be about to outsell 2, doesn't make 2 a "weak seller" because there is context around it.
    So based on assumption? Ok got it and yes I think you know by now I can never take assumptions/speculations seriously. Assumption isn't factual. It is just your "opinion". Useless to pass subjective opinions as facts. The Sims Life Stories didn't come out until 2007, which was three years after the Sims 2. I doubt "not good enough PC" was the excuse to develop it. Why not ask the Gurus themselves why it was made rather than assuming the reason yourself? The Sims team developed the Sims games on multiple platforms. Laptop was just a new platform. Simmers wanted to play Sims on the go. The Sims Life Stories offered a new experience through linear gameplay. Actually makes me wonder why a sequel for the Sims Life Stories wasn't made for the Sims 4? It would have done really well. People could have had a laptop friendly game to play that wasn't hindered by "patches" and the PC version could get all the growth it wanted. Each theme would have been separated. People are already complaining that the Sims 4 isn't going to run well on their PC with the patches, so I really don't see a benefit of combining desktop and laptop versions again. I should have guessed features were going to be limited like the Sims Life Stories in order to keep it "laptop friendly." Oh well, can't travel back in time. I just hope with the future Sims games, they treat desktop and laptops as separate platforms. I do not want to see the Sims 3 and 4 alienation of players repeat again.

Laptops are kind of phasing out anyways with the tablets and phones. No use to carry a laptop around, when tablets and phones are more convenient. I actually noticed this while attending college. People were using tablets with keyboards more in class. I think the Sims 4 might be the last Sims laptop game. Might see desktop and mobile versions next time. I'm actually phasing out laptops myself. I'm done with them. Yes I'm stating my post as opinion.

But huh interesting the Metacritic rating between both games. Sims Life Stories got a higher rating of 72%. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-life-stories The Sims 4 got a rating of 70%. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-4
    edited June 2016

Do you have a source?

EA said in 2011 that it had just reached 10 million. In 2014, they said it was "over 10 million" which means it didn't cross over the 11 million mark.

The link is on SimsVIP's website, when EA wrote up a article about the Sims in early 2014.

This one?
    http://simsvip.com/2014/02/03/sims-fun-facts-timeline/

That's pretty much the same as the link I quoted, it's just from a write up in 2014 as opposed to the original from 2011. They said "more than 10 million" in both cases. If it sold poorly in the years after 2011 it probably wouldn't have been #2 in best selling PC titles in 2014 (with several of its expansions in the top 10). More than 10 million means just that, more than 10 million. They didn't give any real numbers to compare.

Again, do you have a source to provide for TS3 "selling barely anything" after release?
    IHJCfa6.jpg

Do you have a source?

This one?

That's pretty much the same as the link I quoted, it's just from a write up in 2014 as opposed to the original from 2011. They said "more than 10 million" in both cases. If it sold poorly in the years after 2011 it probably wouldn't have been #2 in best selling PC titles in 2014 (with several of its expansions in the top 10). More than 10 million means just that, more than 10 million. They didn't give any real numbers to compare.

Again, do you have a source to provide for TS3 "selling barely anything" after release?

Because sources reported The Sims 3 did extremely well in 2009, as well as EA. In 2010, EA stayed silent and The Sims 3 wasn't reported as a significant seller by anyone.

EA waited to report sales next until it had been released on every platform avaliable at the time, which said 10
    Million in 2011. That means from end of 2009, to mid 2011, the game sold 5 million accross PC, PS3, 360, Wii, DS, 3DS, Android, iOS and Mobile.

The fact it took that long, and that many platforms for EA to match the first 6 months sales on PC, after 12 months, says the PC game sold very little in that 12 month window. As NPD data says the console games sold about 1 million on PS3, 2 million on 360 and 1 million on Wii alone.

Do you have a source?

This one?

Because sources reported The Sims 3 did extremely well in 2009, as well as EA. In 2010, EA stayed silent and The Sims 3 wasn't reported as a significant seller by anyone.

EA waited to report sales next until it had been released on every platform avaliable at the time, which said 10
    Million in 2011. That means from end of 2009, to mid 2011, the game sold 5 million accross PC, PS3, 360, Wii, DS, 3DS, Android, iOS and Mobile.

The fact it took that long, and that many platforms for EA to match the first 6 months sales on PC, after 12 months, says the PC game sold very little in that 12 month window. As NPD data says the console games sold about 1 million on PS3, 2 million on 360 and 1 million on Wii alone.

It was the #3 best selling computer game of 2010 as reported by the ESA. And they only count physical copies.
    http://www.isfe.eu/sites/isfe.eu/files/attachments/esa_ef_2011.pdf

It wasn't exactly doing nothing during 2010. I still don't see anything concrete that says that it fell off or did poorly after its release. And simply saying that they reported on sales in 2009 and then again in 2011 doesn't prove to me that it "sold barely anything in the following 5 years."
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Maylee2Maylee2 Posts: 179 Member
    More than SF5....
  • Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Actual sales vs. projected or targeted sales are completely different. For example;

You start a dinner party, the first week, a handful of people come.. Let's say, 5. They loved it, and made it obvious they'll be back for the next one. They tell their friends, you try to attract more people for the second dinner party. This time there's those same 5 people, plus now you have an additional 5 people there due to personal advertising. And it continues.. Give or take some numbers. The same applies with The Sims.

Hardcore fans are typically going to buy it, we've always loved the Sims and wanna believe these games we love will continue being great. So majority of us will buy it. PLUS people (usually, younger ones who maybe have never sims before) who have been drawn in by advertising, and word of mouth. But I guarantee the sales projected were not equal to actual sales. This game has the worst gaming review of the entire franchise and that is what speaks volumes.