Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Restaurant Challenge!

Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
Do you have a Sim who has dreams of opening restaurants all around the world? Take the restaurant challenge! It’s simple. Open one restaurant in each of the six worlds. Yes, Magnolia Promenade too! Get your restaurant to at least 3.5 stars before you consider purchasing another restaurant. I would say 5 stars, but a restaurant can be very profitable at 3.5 stars, and you may not want to reach five stars with your casual restaurants.

Are you taking the challenge? Introduce your Sim and tell us about your restaurant journey!

October 6 Update:
City Life is coming! Yay! But, with it comes a new world, so here is what we’re going to do. For the test subjects inaugural challenges, we will be grandfathered into the old rules and will only have to have five restaurants instead of six. But, for those of you who want to take on San Myshuno, you may choose which five worlds you want to build in. Anyone beginning this challenge after Nov. 1 will need to own six restaurants.

June 20 Update:
Restaurants can be built, downloaded from the gallery, and/or the pre-made Maxis ones. As far as owning restaurants in each world goes, my original thought was that they would be placed as you're able to "unlock" them. However, if you want to go ahead and place one restaurant in each world first and then acquire them as you go, I don't see a problem with that either.

June 10 Update:
Ok, I've been thinking about this and I think there needs to be a little bit more structure, so here are some guidelines (I'm hesitant to call them rules lol).

1.) Start the first restaurant in the Sim's home world.
2.) For an extra challenge, don’t use money cheats!
3.) Keep all restaurants at the 3.5 star level or above throughout the challenge. The first five restaurants must be at this level before you may open the last one.
4.) Max out all employee skills before opening the next restaurant.
5.) This challenge can be done with aging on or off. If you will be playing with aging on, you may want to do long life as it will take a bit of time to do.
forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
Post edited by Jes2G on

Comments

• Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    edited June 2016
    I’m using my generation 9 heir for my mine! His name is Jonathan. I’m actually writing a little story to help make this more fun for myself. If you care to read it, you can follow it here. I personally will not be using any money cheats, so it may take him a while to do this, but hopefully it will remain fun.

Jonathan hasn’t opened his restaurant yet because he’s still trying to get the money, but I play tested it Tuesday night, and I got the restaurant to 3.5 stars in about 3 hours. This is the restaurant I fell in love with and will be using.

ETA: Forgot to share Jonathan’s picture!
    jonathan3.jpg
    Post edited by Jes2G on
    forum_final.png

• UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    YAY! A thread! Lol. I'm for sure gonna do it. I had a plan to have my sim run 3 restaurants already...what's 2 more :p

Anyway, I'm going to be using a sim I created a while ago to give another sim some more family: Agatha Sager.
    pEZK2xY.png?2
    She's the daughter of George Sager and Nora Sager, and has a twin. Her dad's brother (her uncle) is Nate Sager...which makes Rose Sager her first cousin.

I planned on doing a story for Agatha anyway -- so far I've outlined 55-60 chapters -- so this challenge will be awesome for testing the restaurants before I get to the actual story.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
    Oh cool, @DreamsInPixels! A Sager!
    forum_final.png

• VIRTUALEEVIRTUALEE Posts: 2,507 Member
    ::sneaks in, clears throat and says with a creepy voice:: fouuunnnnd youuuuu ;)
    VIRTUALEE wrote: »

Oh geez…I gotta get a better disguise! :p
    forum_final.png

Jes2G wrote: »

Oh geez…I gotta get a better disguise! :p

LMAO!
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    This is going to be so much fun! (and... are Jonathan's eyes cc?)

@DreamsInPixels I'm excited about Agatha to try this, too! Nate's niece! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    CathyTea wrote: »
    This is going to be so much fun! (and... are Jonathan's eyes cc?)

@DreamsInPixels I'm excited about Agatha to try this, too! Nate's niece! :)

Yep! I like those eyes because they look a little bit real, but still a lot like Maxis eyes. They can be either default replacements (which I use), face paint, or just plain ol cc eyes. I love the colors because they’re more realistic, but sometimes I miss how bright some of the blue and greens are of the default. http://alf-si.tumblr.com/post/129303707742/default-eyes-non-default-eyes-face-paint
    forum_final.png

Ok, I played last night, and Jonathan now has bought his restaurant! I hired some folks and got their uniforms together. Tonight when I get home we'll get started on this thing and see how it goes.
    forum_final.png

• CritterCritter Posts: 58 Member
    Looks like fun! Suggested add: start with the city you live in!

I haven't gotten Dine Out yet, but will soon! In the mean time, I've been setting up my characters and setting. I will be using Nan and her granddaughter, Ally, who are rearing and ready to go!
    ff5x4z.jpg

1zlymp1.jpg

dpb961.jpg
    Critter wrote: »
    Looks like fun! Suggested add: start with the city you live in!

I haven't gotten Dine Out yet, but will soon! In the mean time, I've been setting up my characters and setting. I will be using Nan and her granddaughter, Ally, who are rearing and ready to go!
    ff5x4z.jpg

1zlymp1.jpg

Oh that's a good one! I just happened to start Jonathan's in his own city. I'll add that. Nan and Ally look like they'll be all about the home cooking! Mmmmmmm
    forum_final.png

I said this to @VIRTUALEE, but I'll mention it here too. Because I'm not going to use any cheats, I think it would take FOREVER to save money to buy the next restaurant. Here's what I'm going to do. Jonathan just got promoted to executive chef and is off Tuesday through Thursday. I'll have him work at the restaurant on those days so he can still keep his job to help make extra money.
    forum_final.png

Yes, it isn't easy making money at all - I had to have my sim start a garden and take up painting because her staff are specialtons and don't help expedite the incoming funds LOL
    Yes, it isn't easy making money at all - I had to have my sim start a garden and take up painting because her staff are specialtons and don't help expedite the incoming funds LOL

Tee hee, this is going to be fun lol
    forum_final.png

• cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I will definitely be lurking on this thread, it looks like such a cool challenge

@Jes2G are there any rules out what to do with your old restaurants once you've moved to the next one? I assume that your business can't be open and operating without your Sim physically there, right?
    I will definitely be lurking on this thread, it looks like such a cool challenge

@Jes2G are there any rules out what to do with your old restaurants once you've moved to the next one? I assume that your business can't be open and operating without your Sim physically there, right?

Good question! Actually, you can have a restaurant open without you being there! That's how it's possible to have an actual chain of restaurants which is sooooo cool! I'm gonna have Jonathan's restaurant(s) open while he's at work until he's able to quit his job. Unfortunately, if your restaurant is open while you're not there, the quality goes down and you'll need to go there and get things back on course. So I imagine that we'll be bouncing between all the restaurants when we get to that point. However, maybe I should add a rule that says the previous restaurants can't fall below 3.5 stars. I'll consider it while I'm playing this weekend. I'm making this up as I go! :D
    forum_final.png

Good question! Actually, you can have a restaurant open without you being there! That's how it's possible to have an actual chain of restaurants which is sooooo cool! I'm gonna have Jonathan's restaurant(s) open while he's at work until he's able to quit his job. Unfortunately, if your restaurant is open while you're not there, the quality goes down and you'll need to go there and get things back on course. So I imagine that we'll be bouncing between all the restaurants when we get to that point. However, maybe I should add a rule that says the previous restaurants can't fall below 3.5 stars. I'll consider it while I'm playing this weekend. I'm making this up as I go! :D

I think that's a great rule to have to keep all the restaurants above 3.5 stars. That can add a layer of challenge, which can be nice since I've seen a few people saying they don't find the restaurants too hard to manage (though I think that's more about a roll of the employee die than anything else).

I think that's a great rule to have to keep all the restaurants above 3.5 stars. That can add a layer of challenge, which can be nice since I've seen a few people saying they don't find the restaurants too hard to manage (though I think that's more about a roll of the employee die than anything else).

I like the way you put it. Done!
    forum_final.png

edited June 2016
    So, the Pruetts just finished their first day! Before I sent Jonathan to the restaurant, it suddenly occurred to me that his wife can help! So I sent her too. Lunch service was not busy which worked out to their advantage. They were getting hungry, so I had them request a table, but as soon as they did, a bunch of customers came in including the food critic! They wined and dined her, and she gave them a 4 star rating which boosted them to an even 3 stars! I had the host stop accepting new customers around 7:00 so they would only have to deal with the remaining ones…which were stragglers. Needless to say, the restaurant was open for 12 hours lol. The employees were troopers though! No quitters! They all got praised and checked on throughout the day although they’re pretty meh about their jobs. They’re all going to training, so we’ll see what happens tomorrow…which I’m about to play right now! Oh…the waitress only dropped two trays lol. They got 710 perks points. I want to use 600 to get patient patrons, but I’ll save them for the inspirational speech. See what that does! The customers were surprisingly patient. Only had one table dip down to 2 stars because of wait times.
    forum_final.png

I’ve finished the Pruetts second day, and I’m gonna add more to the rules section. The restaurants can’t be as successful as they could be without the proper staff. With low skilled and unmotivated staff, the restaurant will never make lots of money and will not thrive, so I’m going to add that before you can move on to the next restaurant, all the employees should max out their required skills before opening another restaurant. By investing in training, it shouldn’t take long to do. All my employees are at levels 4-6 in various skills on just the second day with training.
    forum_final.png

You are the master!! I am technically starting my restaurant anew - had a mishap but my story continues were I left off...I am making it work LOL... So technically my story has them on their first day - but I have really been at it for a week :(
    You are the master!! I am technically starting my restaurant anew - had a mishap but my story continues were I left off...I am making it work LOL... So technically my story has them on their first day - but I have really been at it for a week :(

All the play tests don’t count, he he. Like calories on Christmas lol. Anywho, I’ve just finished their third day, and am going to bed because I’m as tired as they are LOL.

All my employees are at the point where they can receive standard training! I can’t wait to see where they’re up to when I get back to this later on today. I think I’ll promote them all too. Just cuz! We’ll see what happens.

Observations from a writing perspective:
    Although managing a restaurant is SO much easier than running a retail store and you can actually THINK about a storyline while you’re playing lol, it’s still hard. I’m taking picture, but I haven’t take enough to take you guys through their daily journey. So, my story will be more like this happened…then next week this happened lol. Also, because this is so time consuming, I doubt I’m going to have much family type chapters for them. That’s fine for the purposes of the challenge, but people love their Pruetts! I need to figure out some sort of balance between actually making money and growing the restaurant and showing the children’s lives because as of now they have none!
    forum_final.png

I’ve finished the Pruetts second day, and I’m gonna add more to the rules section. The restaurants can’t be as successful as they could be without the proper staff. With low skilled and unmotivated staff, the restaurant will never make lots of money and will not thrive, so I’m going to add that before you can move on to the next restaurant, all the employees should max out their required skills before opening another restaurant. By investing in training, it shouldn’t take long to do. All my employees are at levels 4-6 in various skills on just the second day with training.

oooh, that's another great rule. I think it will be quite essential to keeping the stars from dipping too fast while your restaurateur is at a different site.
    @Jes2G I'm a terrible lurker! just terrible. And.... I think I'm going to do this challenge now, lol.

All the play tests don’t count, he he. Like calories on Christmas lol. Anywho, I’ve just finished their third day, and am going to bed because I’m as tired as they are LOL.

All my employees are at the point where they can receive standard training! I can’t wait to see where they’re up to when I get back to this later on today. I think I’ll promote them all too. Just cuz! We’ll see what happens.

Observations from a writing perspective:
    Although managing a restaurant is SO much easier than running a retail store and you can actually THINK about a storyline while you’re playing lol, it’s still hard. I’m taking picture, but I haven’t take enough to take you guys through their daily journey. So, my story will be more like this happened…then next week this happened lol. Also, because this is so time consuming, I doubt I’m going to have much family type chapters for them. That’s fine for the purposes of the challenge, but people love their Pruetts! I need to figure out some sort of balance between actually making money and growing the restaurant and showing the children’s lives because as of now they have none!

Totally understandable and regrettably the cost of a challenge right?! I am not making money fast enough so I am hoping Lee's painting skills and lilly's help her move forward with 'Abuelita's' rest chain soon... :) all that to say it is a super fun challenge though regardless of all the faux paus and random glitches I am experiencing **cough** clowns **cough**