Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What about Build Mode?

ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
The Sims 4 has been out for 2 years now and we have seen a lot of things added to Live Mode and Buy Mode. But, what about Build Mode? We have seen very little added to the game that pertains to Build Mode. And, I am not talking about objects that have been added to Build Mode such as trees, bushes, tiles, wallpaper, and the such, but I am talking about build tools like something dealing with landscaping and terrain building. And, what about tools that work with world building and adding more lots to the worlds... we really need more lots! What about more roof types, we really need round and octagonal roofs. I could go on and on, but if you stop and think about it, there has been very little changes to Build Mode in the past 2 years. What about it Aron? What have you been doing to add to Build Mode?
fkgck4xkargo.png
"If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams

Comments

• VickiVampiressVickiVampiress Posts: 211 Member
    2 years already? Wow. I'm convinced at this point we'll pretty much never get landscaping tools. I think the game just wasn't built for that. We all know Maxis promises a lot, and usually at some point they do get around to actually doing what they said, but I would avoid any wishful thinking.

I also feel it's a bit odd any missing build mode mechanics have been placed so low in terms of priority.
    1Q6xf0t.jpg
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    @MarcyEatsMonsters said: I also feel it's a bit odd any missing build mode mechanics have been placed so low in terms of priority.

Exactly my point! We have seen very little improvement with Build Mode in the past 2 years!
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    Pools. Basements. 3 floors down. 4 floors up. Locking doors. Pool water recolors. I wouldn't say we've gotten nothing. Newcrest.

I would enjoy a builders stuff pack.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I'd love to see the platform come back.
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    At this point, I'll just be happy to see different stairs. The massive ones we have now ruin all of my room planning.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
    Pools. Basements. 3 floors down. 4 floors up. Locking doors. Pool water recolors. I wouldn't say we've gotten nothing. Newcrest.

I would enjoy a builders stuff pack.

I am not saying that we have not received anything new for Build Mode, I am saying we have received VERY LITTLE when it comes to Build Mode. @Inna Minnit Your list, of things we have received is pretty short, don't you think?
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    Would love to have terrain tools back. Also the option to have seperate foundations on one lot. I don't like the fact every room on the lot needs a foundation or no foundations at all.

• ST7_MTNMANST7_MTNMAN Posts: 172 Member
    As a new simmer I too was surprised at the limited build tools since the Gallery is one of their selling points to the game. Building expansion pack would do Enormous amount of rekindling to the game.
    fullspiral wrote: »

@fullspiral I am a new simmer could explain to me please what the platform is?
    ST7_MTNMAN wrote: »

A platform is separate from the foundation and can be added with or without a foundation. Think of it as a "stage", which is what most people used it for.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

It explains it, and it's possibilities best in this thread:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/817859/wanted-stage-platform-tool-for-building-stairs-sims-2-style/p1
  • surfingrocketssurfingrockets Posts: 60 Member
    edited May 2016
    You know just the other day there was a glitch in my game where I was building and the terrain slanted up around a fountain a bit. I had built a room, which the game mistakenly thought had foundation (you know how sometimes you get the top of the foundation border on the ground next to a foundationless room?), and I built a fountain right up against the wall. The game did not like that and it ended up deleting the floor tiles I had outside next to the fountain and the terrain slanted upwards around the fountain just like it would if I had used terrain tools. I wish I had snapped a screenshot of it, but it made me wonder if terrain tools were possible.

But yes, I desperately want new build features too. I don't even play in live mode anymore.
    You know just the other day there was a glitch in my game where I was building and the terrain slanted up around a fountain a bit. I had built a room, which the game mistakenly thought had foundation (you know how sometimes you get the top of the foundation border on the ground next to a foundationless room?), and I built a fountain right up against the wall. The game did not like that and it ended up deleting the floor tiles I had outside next to the fountain and the terrain slanted upwards around the fountain just like it would if I had used terrain tools. I wish I had snapped a screenshot of it, but it made me wonder if terrain tools were possible.

But yes, I desperately want new build features too. I don't even play in live mode anymore.

I believe that you are right in that the game has the ability for terrain tools. We should have them after 2 years of development.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • cryskcrysk Posts: 657 Member
    Hmm you can actually make octagonal roofs with the existing ones, so I doubt we are going to get them.

And I would love to have foundations with different heights on one lot and be able to raise or lower the terrain.
    ccBcpyk.jpg
    crysk wrote: »
    Hmm you can actually make octagonal roofs with the existing ones, so I doubt we are going to get them.

And I would love to have foundations with different heights on one lot and be able to raise or lower the terrain.

Have you ever seen octagonal roofs in real life like the ones we can make in the game? EA knows how to make an octagonal roof like they did in previous versions.... :/
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • cryskcrysk Posts: 657 Member
    mFw4Uma.png

Close enough to an actual octagonal roof for me
    ccBcpyk.jpg
    crysk wrote: »
    mFw4Uma.png

Close enough to an actual octagonal roof for me

Though it is not perfect, it will do. But why should we have to "create" it? Why don't they just give us one like in previous versions? And, how do you create a round roof with what we have?
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    Of course I 'd like more. But I think build is pretty good as is. I never played with terrain tools, so I don't miss them.

Things I would like to see:

The ability to build outbuildings that could be not on foundation of the house was, and also to have different wall height.

The ability to have a favorites folder that you could put your go-to items in. I have certain doors I like better than others. Also if we could sort all build items by style, that would be pretty sweet.

More stair options. Spiral, stairs with landings that switchback. A better way to make stairwells for multi-story homes. And windows that could be placed in stairwells without #MOO.

Elevators?

Mirrors that are decorative and don't obscure gameplay. I would use mirrors more if they didn't block views.

Curtains that would fit windows. Honestly the scales don't often match.

I would love more color options but I would be thrilled if the color swatches we have were uniform. And if there was a way that you could easily find matching/coordinating items. Searching for "blue" is not that useful as you get many options. Again, uniform color swatches please.
  • DaemonPawsDaemonPaws Posts: 192 Member
    I would kill for ladders and spiral staircases. More carpet textures and colors. Hell, just more flooring and wall options in general. We need more roofing options, or better ways to make oddly shaped roofs. It's so frustrating getting it almost right every time. I also really love the different water types they gave us for pools and would be thrilled to see more options there. Would LOVE to be able to put different buildings on the same lot at different foundation heights or different wall heights. That would be awesome.
    Origin - DaemonPaws
    ehaught58 wrote: »

A platform is separate from the foundation and can be added with or without a foundation. Think of it as a "stage", which is what most people used it for.

So the same as split levels?
    ehaught58 wrote: »

So the same as split levels?

Well, kind of, the platform and foundation would not recognize each other. If they were side by side and touching, you couldn't have a Sim walk across it because they wouldn't recognize each other... weird!
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited June 2016
    I would like a ceiling tool

like how "T" toggles the build perspective to Top view.
    I want "F" to toggle the build perspective to floor view.

and then retexture the ceiling.

and polygonal roofing

other than that I can't think imagine a world editor, unless it was build outside of the game, and what ever you edit you have to import it into The Sims 4.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
    Oh! And fix the annoying camera bounce. Give us a level lock.
  • keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    You know, sometimes I wonder whether or not terrain tools would work. Would it cripple sims path finding? How would the foundation system work? Is it something that needs to be there from the beginning and worked around or can it be added later? Of course, I'm no game dev so I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to do.

However, there is an old photo of the sims 4, very very early in development, that shows a very sloped lot, which means terrain editing was at least being explored. So maybe there is a possibility of it coming back. 36d.jpg
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    -Multi-level columns.
    -Octagonal and round roof
    -More roof textures
    -A glass roof (dome, triangular and flat) for greenhouses and observatories
    -A lot of more windows, including multi-level windows. If they can make different wall height windows, what's so difficult about multi-level?
    -Terrain tool, because having everything flat looks excedingly boring. This would include terrain raising, lower and pond tool.
    -More realistic textures and landscaping. The clay-looking trees just don't work for me, and the fakeness of the water in ponds and rivers around the world, make me want to cry. Basically my favourite thing about the Sims 3 was the beautiful landscaping. I spent half of my time playing it admiring the scenery when my sims were busy or sleeping. So this needs to be adressed.
    -More landscape objects.
    #Fallen-over trees
    #Very big rocks with tree roots around and through it
    #Moss-covered rocks, trees etc.
    #Decorative mushrooms (different types, like normal and red with white dots etc.)
    #More wall-climbing shrubs to be placed on walls, including ivy, moss etc. (realistic!)
    -Stages/raised platforms
    -Different foundation hights for different buildings on the same lot
    -Ability to build a fountain indoors
    -More fountain objects.
    #Rock/glass walls with waterfall over it (modern)(comes in different sizes from small to the size of an actual wall for cool indoor areas)
    #Stone statues like a woman "crying" with the water trickling out of her eyes; someone pouring water into the fountain from a pot, etc.
    #Abstract glass figures with water flowing through it/out of it etc.
    -Spiral staircases, ladders, L-shaped stairs and more rotating options for stairs
    -When a beach EP comes out, ability to build on water and boats
    -Sliding doors
    -Auto-roof tool
    -Garage doors
    -Attics!
    -More transparent pool water. If you add paint or bricks etc. to the pool interior, you can barely see it. In Sims 3, I once had a vampire and I made his pool with red walls so it looked like blood. It would be fun to more clearly customize the pools. With the different types of pool water available now, there could be a new "transparent" colour so people who like the current water can keep it.

These are more buy mode, but would be nice to have as well:
    -More lights. We need some more types of lighting. Raw lightbulbs, little sky lights that look like stars etc.
    -More fireplaces. Big classic stone ones, very small ones, modern glass ones etc.
    -More curtains (that actually fit the windows!)
    -More items that fit perfectly to the whole lenght of a wall.
    #Whole-wall bookshelves
    #Modern glass panels with water or lava flowing over it