Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why so many townies?

2...Next

Comments

• TriX0099TriX0099 Posts: 850 Member
    when you go into edit town, the top right hand corner there's a tab where you can edit. choose not in world and you'll have pics of all those not in the world, all those not in a house, you can delete them, click and choose delete. someone else can probably explain it better, maybe with pics to explain it.

ok. main screen, right top, Household management. click that. then choose unplayed not in world. delete those you don't want. leave enough for jobs. like coffee shops and disco.

I found all that but here's what happens.........when I go to unplayed households and choose the town I'm playing (WC) all it shows is that O have no unplayed households and when I closed the game the last time there were a lot of townies I didn't add running around in the game.

I also bulldoze any empty homes so townies don't move in.

I bulldozed the entire town and I build a house, add a Sim(s)....then I go on to build the next house and so on.

Don't choose the town you are playing. That would only show you any that have moved into the town (which mine never do). To get the townies, just set it to show unplayed, and then show all.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    TriX0099 wrote: »
    when you go into edit town, the top right hand corner there's a tab where you can edit. choose not in world and you'll have pics of all those not in the world, all those not in a house, you can delete them, click and choose delete. someone else can probably explain it better, maybe with pics to explain it.

ok. main screen, right top, Household management. click that. then choose unplayed not in world. delete those you don't want. leave enough for jobs. like coffee shops and disco.

I found all that but here's what happens.........when I go to unplayed households and choose the town I'm playing (WC) all it shows is that O have no unplayed households and when I closed the game the last time there were a lot of townies I didn't add running around in the game.

I bulldozed the entire town and I build a house, add a Sim(s)....then I go on to build the next house and so on.

Don't choose the town you are playing. That would only show you any that have moved into the town (which mine never do). To get the townies, just set it to show unplayed, and then show all.

Okay....I'll give it a shot.

But no simple cheat to just shift click delete or something when I spot them in game?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't want to mod the game so the game will stop culling or generating unwanted townies. I would like to set this from the get go. I bulldozed all of WC, Oasis Springs and left NC empty before I bulldozed all of WB. I had a story in my head and wanted to play that story. I rebuilt most of WB for my story (just a few vacant lots left) and most of WC and the others. That was a heck of lot of work for me. Then I started playing (mind you this was the fifth time I had done this because of bugs). The game generates townies that make no sense to me. I have to go delete them, or change their clothes, or add other Sims to their homeless household. Then on Sunday it culls them and starts all over. It gets on my nerves.

I can't even build a special pub for my own Sims on rotation. At first all my Sims were the ones showing up, now, after it started generating the homeless townies it is those Sims not in world it sends and forget my Sims meeting each other there. I had to take my Sims to my other Sims houses so they would meet and become friends. Unlike TS2 where I knew my Sims would eventually show up. Not in this game.

Then it started to cull my own Sims relationship after they met my other Sims. :s It gets old when you can't play it like you wanted to play it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

But no simple cheat to just shift click delete or something when I spot them in game?

Sadly no. Not without a mod >:)
    @Cinebar I feel for you. I had just added a Sim version of Lucy Liu and was adding things to fix the omissions left by CC after I downloaded her......so them Saul Goodman (from Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad) appeared at her door. She let him in and they immediately fell for each other. That's all I wanted..... the Sims I placed there interacting with other Sims I placed there.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright

I guess I would have the option to shift click and use add to household and have a hungry cow plant though.......muahahahahaha >:)

I guess I would have the option to shift click and use add to household and have a hungry cow plant though.......muahahahahaha >:)

Just remember to get rid of the ghost after, as they count towards the culling limit too :)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I have a really silly question. If the game only allows 20 Sims in any area where your Sim goes, then why does it need to generate all these townies and why do all the houses need to be filled my premades when you first start the game? A player could fill those up and the game only generate the NPCs it needs and not generate any other homeless townies couldn't it? and still send the 20 which it isn't doing for months now. Anyone is lucky to see seven or more in any area. Like if you made all the townies for your own game and it was more than 20 then there is no reason to have the other nonsensical homeless townies.

That would be a truly tightknit town.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I'd just kill them all with my cursed painting mod >:) . Mods don't really help me enjoy sims 4 though because there aren't enough out there in my opinion. It's kind of a shame how I can get mods to get certain stuff the creators took a while to add like locked doors and the trick items from that challenge. I'd rather just add the mod but I get tired of removing it when they finally add something. I don't have to worry about removing violent mods though.

Just remember to get rid of the ghost after, as they count towards the culling limit too :)

Instead of the live townies I'd rather have unfashionably dressed ghosts to haunt the Sims I put there. Too bad our Sims don't get scared.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I have a really silly question. If the game only allows 20 Sims in any area where your Sim goes, then why does it need to generate all these townies and why do all the houses need to be filled my premades when you first start the game? A player could fill those up and the game only generate the NPCs it needs and not generate any other homeless townies couldn't it? and still send the 20 which it isn't doing for months now. Anyone is lucky to see seven or more in any area. Like if you made all the townies for your own game and it was more than 20 then there is no reason to have the other nonsensical homeless townies.

That's kind of what I was envisioning. I wanted to walk into a bar and see a Sim I placed in the town as a the bartender. I saw that often in my TS3 games.

That's kind of what I was envisioning. I wanted to walk into a bar and see a Sim I placed in the town as a the bartender. I saw that often in my TS3 games.

Yeah, they won't be used for the NPC jobs, but your sims will be used for walkbyes if your population pool is diverse enough. I have so many children in my game, that the game never spawns a child (even when I go to the park) and uses my kids instead. To avoid townie spawning as much as possible, you need some sims of all ages and genders, unemployed or retired people are very good, as they are always "available" for the game to borrow to fill lots. I used to delete all that spawned, then got a bit tired of the amount needed every sim day, so I started keeping the appropriately dressed ones and grouped them up by the NPC jobs they fill (2 mailmen, 1 ranger, 1 hermit, 2 pizza delivery people etc) and now the game spawns way less new ones - almost only when I go on vacations.
  • kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    edited May 2016
    Do you have a lot of time on your hands? Because what am about to suggest may take a while, why don't you try to make a whole town of 200(I think that's the limit) and see if you see all the sims you made instead of just random townies? I'm going to try this myself with aging off for the long weekend. But if anyone knows that this doesn't work then please let me know so I don't waste my time :)
  • kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    @Cinebar thank you for letting me know. I don't like the sound of that though :/
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited May 2016
    Do you have a lot of time on your hands? Because what am about to suggest may take a while, why don't you try to make a whole town of 200(I think that's the limit) and see if you see all the sims you made instead of just random townies? I'm going to try this myself with aging off for the long weekend. But if anyone knows that this doesn't work then please let me know so I don't waste my time :)

That is a lot of work. But I also thought about it, and I play on long life and aging off for played households and on for townies. They live a very long time. But I think the game will still cull your townies in the not in household category every Sunday if it needs to or not.

I never had the game cull any Sims at all till a few months ago. It really does depend on your total Sim count - which includes dead Sims in played-Sim genealogy. I don't have those in most of my saves; for me, hitting the 210 didn't happen till I had full worlds *and* was generating townies on bar nights *and* in an active career. It was my first cull. (It took a favorite bartender, so I rolled back and started managing my population a bit more thoughtfully. I've got culling turned off now while I'm playing an active career in one full-of-Sims save.) If you're getting a cull every Sunday, your total population including the dead could be fairly high.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

I bulldozed an entire town and started placing lots and building. I still have empty lots. haven't even begun game play and I'm seeing a lot of townies. I bulldozed the whole town....built a house, placed a Sim and then went on to build the next house. I have no empty houses.

I don't know when the game might start culling. I just know that in the past a fairly new game started culling Sims. I doubt it had time to hit the limit.