Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

☆☆ Sims 4 Quality Control Practice Challenges ☆☆

Comments

• PwhiskersPwhiskers Posts: 43 Member
    @Cbear13 Sorry I thought I had added the link - I've edited to add this now! Thank you :smile:
  • Liziann1Liziann1 Posts: 1,461 Member
    @Cbear13 WOW, Thank You so much for the detailed feedback and the before and after pictures are really great!
    your right I do tend to rush placement, and I do like bare spaces lol
    I think my kitchen was big to place the island,
    I will definitely take on board your feedback, and you can *slap* me if I dont ;)
    I really appreciate all your work on the forums x
    Check out My showcase thread
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/853211/dizzisquirrels-showcase#latest]
    or look for me in the Gallery
    aka DizziSquirrel

• Cbear13Cbear13 Posts: 6,278 Member
    edited May 2016
    Hehe there will be no slapping haha @Liziann1
    These challenges are for pushing you out of your box and comfort zone so really try push yourself to do things you wouldn't normally do. I like space and things being clean and organised but remember it came come off as very bare which will look unfinished.
    One thing Id really love you to practice is working with small spaces, make small rooms. call it a challenge just for you
    New%20siggie%2011th%20Nov%2015.jpg
    ✦✦ Origin ID: cbear1313 ✦✦ Gallery: cbear1313 Gallery ✦✦ Cbear's Creations ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    ✦✦ Quality Control Practice Challenges ✦✦
    Ok one small home coming up ! @Cbear13 ;)
    Check out My showcase thread
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/853211/dizzisquirrels-showcase#latest]
    or look for me in the Gallery
    aka DizziSquirrel

edited May 2016
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,581 Member
    Lockhart is a very nice home! @Liziann1 :) Very nice exterior of the home! The roofing is very nice! The wall decor item from perfect patio pack, the greenery and the planter boxes look very nice on the exterior walls. Nice chess nook on the outdoors patio for sims to enjoy playing chess at the table in the outdoors air. They will enjoy meditating on the stool in the sunshine. Very nice furnishing of the living room! The grey and yellow colour scheme looks very nice. It looks great the type and colour of the curtains, which complements well with the wall pattern. The flowers and plant are nice touches of nature either sides of the sofa, and the books and flowers look nice placed on the fireplace ledge . Sims will enjoy sitting resting on the sofas there watching tv or reading in front of the fire.
    The home is very nice :)
  • VioletRedVioletRed Posts: 261 Member
    @Cbear13 Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate the effort you put into this especially combined with your the other threads you manage and RL.

Regarding the underside of the lattice, I saw the white but I COULD NOT find how to color it. I clicked around like crazy then I finally thought that there was no way and that the way it had to stay. Where do you find the option to add trim to lattices??

And yes I did go a little overboard with the ambient light. I was so worried about it being too dark I stuck them everywhere on the first floor LOL. Even inside the walls.
    Origin ID: Xieria
    @VioletRed your very welcome
    When in build mode you click on the build button where you would choose your roofing and on the house you click the Friezes and exterior trims button
    then select the exterior trim that you would like to use and place it on each section of your lattice roofing.

I would practice building without the ambient light and use the ceiling lights, table lights and wall lights.
    ✦✦ Quality Control Contest ✦✦ QC Monthly Contest ✦✦ QC Create A Room Competition ✦✦
    Sorry for the delay on feedback I will be getting some more done soon
    The next challenge is going to be something a little different and hopefully fun for you guys
    @emere feedback for Challenge 2 - Part 3
    My QCPractice 3/3

I hope your not planning on getting a ton of feedback on these because I barely find anything wrong with your builds these days especially in your challenge entries which is awesome I love that.

Ok so I love the style and use of different wall coverings very fitting for this fairytale style.
    I did find the ballerina statue with the water coming out through her head a bit weird but nothing wrong with it lol.

Upstairs where the fish fountain was is also very strange as the water was going through the planter box and on the flowers on the floor which would flood the house and having a computer next to that would be a fire hazard haha. Also the planter box next to the wall in here is sticking partly into the wall

The upstairs bedroom is so enchanting I love it. Becareful placing the flowers on the wall make sure they arent to high that when your in play mode they stick in the ceiling. The room was also kind of dark but it added to the enchanting feel to it

emere%20p3%201.jpg

I would of also put some shelving in the bathrooms to add a bit more personality and put some items like soap or things on them.

I love the shelving in the kitchen and creative island.
    My fav is the feature wall behind the fireplace I love the use of wall coverings here and the half wall with candles to break up the room is very nice.

I love how this house came together with its fairytale theme great job
    @Amiejaidenalbie_1988 feedback for Challenge 2 - Part 3
    QC Practice Challange

I have to say its not going to be long til we see you up with the big guns in comps, so much improvement.

I love the interior colors scheme its so soothing and really fits in well with your exterior.
    If I had to pick on something I would say watch your space and room size, I felt the lounge was a bit big and you could possibly of fit in maybe a desk and computer or chess or some kind of other activity.
    Personally with my own building I do try to include as many activities as I can in the houses.

I love the tv wall surrounded by cabinets but it feels a bit bland and needed a bit of something as there is so much white with the cabinets.
    Maybe getting creative with subtle color (just an idea), I tried out doing a pattern. I think its because its next to white walls that it makes it look to plain.

Amiejaiden%20p3%201.jpg

The other option is to add a bit more color in the room as everything seems to be white and it needs breaking up, I didn't want to spoil your theme going on so I just changed the couches to a subtle color and also the rug

Amiejaiden%20p3%202.jpg

Great kitchen I love the oversized shelf and I love the clutter around the room, I also love the dining room and the benches at the back of it.

The feature wall behind the bed is very pretty, just be careful with the bed side tables they needed to be slightly moved using the ALT button as they were slightly sticking into the columns.

The bathroom was a bit large to remember you can use half walls to break up a room to make it look not so big I think putting one in there with some decoration would of been nice, and maybe some shelving on the walls.

Overall though this place looks great everything fits in well together :) Keep up the great work.
    @popettypop2012 feedback for Challenge 2 - Part 1, 2 and 3
    Japanese Family House

Part 1: Landscaping
    So first thing I noticed was the fencing at the front and decoration out the front, a lot of people forget to make this attractive or decorate it, so here is a few ideas to dress it up a bit.
    I love the green hedges used for japanese theme but how about mixing up the different hedges, there is two different heights you can use and I just did every second one with the taller hedge and it has a really nice effect. Then I just added a little bit more greenery and flowers for decoration nothing much. (please excuse my tester sim loitering outside your house).

bzf1VgX.jpg

The front garden is divine, I love your creative decorations with the gardens. Great creativity, great use of terrain paint and really fitting for your japanese theme. Be careful with your placement your lollipop tree trunk is sticking out of the solid rock.

The back yard is great to, I know you dont like to over clutter things but you have done a great job filling space and making it look beautiful using minimal things. I love the centre of the pool and the lattice roof on the spa decking it all looks gorgeous.

The step to the spa deck looked a bit strange being half white and I feel looks better using a matching stair

XdGYHCt.jpg

Also the area in front of these stairs was the only spot that felt a bit bare and could really benefit from some decoration, I would of tucked a bin here instead of out the front, also some wall decoration (part 2, exterior) and added some more plants or plant pots to dress it up a bit.
    I put gardening tools and a hose on the wall, a bin, outdoor bench with some bushes and 2 plant pots 1 on each side of the step.

Sorry for the not so good after pic was trying to get it all in one pic

jWrgSvT.jpg

Part 2: Exterior and roof

Firstly great night view I love the style of lights you used, there is one dark area on the right side of the house that could of used a light but overall it looks amazing.
    I cant really critique you on much here it looks great, except for that one wall bit at the back near the spa its well decorated. I love the style and the use of the balconies. You could get a bit more creative with the roofing and use more than one piece but honestly it doesn't always have to be complicated. I think you have enough decoration on the exterior and different things catching your eye that the roofing looks fine being quite simple.

The only issue I found was the front piece of roof is going through the glass fencing, you can use the shift button on the arrow of the roofing to bring just the back piece back more, but as you can see in the picture it still slightly sticks through. Even when I put a smaller roof trim on it, it still sticks through. Bit of a game fault I think it should adjust that it doesnt stick through but you would have to either change the fencing or the roofing to fix this problem.

0FxhA6V.jpg

Fantastic lattice roofing and I love both patios they are well decorated and I love the side door to the patio on the ground.

Part 3: Interior

I love the brown and green its looks amazing, the ground floor looks a little strange as the bedroom is so small and then there is this beautiful open living that feels spacious. Also don't forget to place dressers in the bedrooms as they are a necessity.
    Be careful with placement the keys near the door were slightly odd looking in placement on the door frame, hold down the ALT button while placing to put them in a better spot

SZMeWgG.jpg

Add some decoration to the top of your fireplace it looks a little bare.
    I love the kitchen and the kitchen island. Great work with the columns and large glass window its looks fantastic, also great relaxing dining area.
    The bin is in a bit of an awkward spot it was partially blocking the side door.

isXvW9P.jpg

I didnt see much in the way of shelving and moo, but I love the bedroom feature wall. Shelving is great in bathrooms and kitchens as it adds character and gives them a bit of uniqueness if you choose what to put on them.
    I love that you managed to fit 3 bedrooms but I probably would of stuck with 2 as the bottom one feels really cramped. the top one looks like a great size.

Up the top of the stairs the starblossom plant was sticking through the glass fencing, I find these flowers are always sticking into things when people use them haha.

Overall this is gorgeous I love the japanese theme and the interior compliments it so well. Great job
    I feel with you as you love your clean bareness use these challenges to push yourself with decoration and filling. Even if you over decorate really push your boundaries with it. And as you know just be super careful with placement the ALT button is a must for placing items so always check whatever your placing isn't sticking into something its next to. If you just place with the game mechanics of putting in a tile a lot of items will stick into something else.

@Pwhiskers feedback for Challenge 2 - Part 1
    QCPractice Challenge 2

I am so sorry for the delay I don't normally take this long but have been very busy lately. Its great to see a new face here and I hope your enjoying the challenges so far. No need to say sorry you are not slow at all and you can do any of the challenges at any time.
    As I tell everyone don't take anything to heart I am not always right and can only give you my opinion from a judges point of view. Im also learning a lot from people that enter the challenges and seeing what people create so these challenges are helping me as much as you guys.

Ok so having a look at your landscaping.
    I love when people get creative with shapes with fencing instead of being just square and around the lot border and I love the creative entrance you made, I understand the creativity with the tall shubbery put over the entrance but just be careful with it sticking into the mailbox.

I would of decorated the front a bit more with some plants, flowers and rocks. The decoration is what will give your builds the uniqueness and set them apart from everyone else. So anything looking bare or plain add something to.
    The landscaping doesnt have to be neat either to look good. Also ignore my sim in the pics hes not a stalker he just likes to hang around strangers houses.

i82w63Y.jpg

I love the mix of fencing and great little area for the bins. The back yard I absolutely love, you are so creative with shapes it looks amazing with the great decking and pool.
    I found over near the rocks that some lights were weirdly sticking into the rock

80NQ0P4.jpg

Some areas were a bit dark at night and one thing we love here is a spectacular night view, add some lights in the pool and around the decking and even hang a ceiling light from that gorgeous lattice roofing over the pool. I will check out the nightview again though once the exterior is done if you end up doing that part to :)

Great pathing around the whole build its not over done and still has a lot of greenery around.

I cant wait to see more from you I think you have amazing creativity.

Ok I think I am all caught up on peoples feedback, though if I have missed you please slap me and point me to the post because I must have missed it.

The next challenge is going to be very different from the last 2, with the help of some of the qc judges we are just finishing off getting it ready to post so it should be up in the next day or so.
  • popettypop2012popettypop2012 Posts: 1,318 Member
    @cbear13 Thank you so much for your feedback, I should use more clutter objects next time. I don't do shelving very much because overtime I try, it just looks silly, so I scraped them off. I love what you did with the hedges for fencing and also how you filled up the area in front of the stairs. You give me such good tips :) I'm really looking forward to the next practice challenge.
  • popettypop2012popettypop2012 Posts: 1,318 Member
    @cbear13 Also, your sim is so cute. He keeps popping up on the pictures:)
    @popettypop2012 your very welcome and you have no idea how many times I redo things on my builds, but dont be afraid to use these to practise the shelving even if you leave some your not sure about we can fix them together
    Oh I know he likes to loiter around where I want to take them I test things and then he wanders off and ends up in the next shot, its like he can read my mind where Im going to take pics next
  • Amiejaidenalbie_1988Amiejaidenalbie_1988 Posts: 224 Member
    Thank you so much for your feedback @Cbear13 it's so nice to have a fresh set of eyes to look over the build as you see things that I don't even think of and give great ideas.
  • Amiejaidenalbie_1988Amiejaidenalbie_1988 Posts: 224 Member
    I can't wait for the next challange :)
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

@Cbear13 thanks for the feedback <3 OMG those plants, I need to move my camera in different angles :s I feel my bathrooms are always too small, I do not pay attention to them. They are boring but clean lol. I will try new things :#
    @Cbear13 Thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it :smile: I agree the front was looking a little bare, I think I ran out of steam a bit after doing the back ha!

For the light sticking out the rock, I have a question. It was meant to be attached to it (see this photo below) as I used moveobjects and elevated it off of the ground to make it look like it was on the face of the rock. Obviously this hasn't worked after uploading it! Is there a way to get it to stay put?

05-08-16_1-32-07nbspPM_zpsnzarsxkl.png
  • XenamiXenami Posts: 160 Member
    @Pwhiskers the only way to keep things elevated in the exterior is to raise them from a basement room right below that. Items will not stay raised if they are not attached to a room. I think someone may have posted a tutorial on that somewhere in this practice forum. Though with raising them from a basement, you do have to watch their color. It can get weird if you don't add light to your basement room.

@Cbear13 I am working on my challenge 2. I submitted part 1, but I will have all 3 parts finished and posted by tomorrow. No need to worry about critiquing just part 1 (I slightly changed the exterior since then anyway). Also please don't wait on me to post challenge 3! I'm just a little behind the times.
    Thanks, @Xenami I'll check that out

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top