Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

a complete collection question re screen size and how to change it

SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
Hi,

I installed the complete collection for the first time ever on a windows 7 home build desktop PC without any problems however when I went into game the neighborhood and the lots all have great looking graphics but my Sims look blurry and jagged?

I remember when installing a message popped up a about 800x something and another resolution size 10 something but I cannot remember the exact resolutions and I clicked on the highest one to run in as I have a decent graphics card and I thought if I needed to change anything I would be able to do so in game but I cannot so I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to change it so I can try resolve this problem..

Or if this may not be a resolution problem at all and may need to try something else?

Below is a pic of how my sims look

WBfqE4i.jpg

Comments

• WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    The Sims has two resolution modes (800x600 and 1024x768). Also The Sims is in 4:3 so it probably won't look good on newer TVs/Monitors that have a 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio compared to 5:4 and 4:3 monitors. Most newer monitors usually have a resolution of 1920x1080 but I have a Dell UltraSharp 1907FP which has a resolution of 1280x1024 so The Sims looks good on that monitor.. The Sims and The Sims Bustin' Out on console also has similar problems on HDTVs as my GameCube versions are also in 4:3 in 480i NTSC.

The game by default runs in 800x600 but you can run it in 1024x768. There is a shortcut in your Start Menu which is located in Start > Programs > Maxis > The Sims > The Sims 800x600 or 1024x768 which will allow The Sims to run in two different resolutions.

You can also run the game using the Run prompt (Windows Key + R). The first runs it in 1024x768, second is windowed at 800x600, and third is windowed at 1024x768
    Sims.exe -r1024x768
    Sims.exe -w
    Sims.exe -w -r1024x768

For some reason, I had to type the directory which was C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims\Sims.exe so I had to type C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims\Sims.exe -w to run it on Windowed mode.

If you run The Sims on windowed mode, Windows will run in 16-bit color.

It's also interesting that you can run The Sims because Windows Vista through Windows 8.1 usually has the security update KB3086255 which prevents The Sims from running unless you remove the update, use a modified Sims.exe file to bypass the CD, or enable SafeDisc from Command Prompt. On my Vista PC, I had to enable SafeDisc since that PC had the KB3086255 update installed which would prevent the game from working.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @WinMacSims3

Thank you so much for your response as I simply could not understand what to try next. I posted a new discussion about this because I rarely have to mess with resolutions as sims 2, 3 & 4 appear to play/run naturally without any tweaking necessary plus it can be changed in game in options if need be and I have noticed in 1 there is no option to change the resolution in game which confused me.

Installing 1 was easy on my windows 7 system I just had to remember to uninstall the Microsoft update that conflicts with the game and off I went.

I am a little worried because other players who have posted on other websites re resolutions have tried windowed mode or a smaller resolution and state they can barley see anything and I don't want that to happen as I am practically blind already :)

I am almost certain when installing the game it asked me if I wanted to run at 800x600 or 1024x768 and I believe I chose the latter and am quite astounded at how good the graphics are except for my sims..

Could you advise which resolution to try if you have any experience as I would prefer to make do with how my sims look now rather than mess around and get it all wrong :)

since installing 1 and removing the Microsoft update, I have played 2 and 3 series so far without any hiccup :)
    edited May 2016
    @SPARKY1922 I will try to help get The Sims to look good on your monitor. It won't be easy to get The Sims to look perfectly on modern monitors or laptop displays compared to The Sims 2, The Sims Stories, The Sims 3, The Sims Medieval, and The Sims 4. The Sims 1 only has a maximum of 1024x768.. I'll provide an example of what The Sims looks like on my Dell 1907fp monitor (and also the Dell Soundbar). It was taken on my iPod touch 4th Gen which doesn't have a good camera like the later iOS devices have.
    untitled_by_didlilgirls-da0ymyl.jpg

For fullscreen, the best resolution is 1024x768 although the video will be upscaled and stretched depending on the GPU configuration.

There are some settings on NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel graphics that can have the video not upscaled so if a 4:3 resolution is used, the computer renders it in 4:3 rather than stretching the video to 16:9. Assuming you have a 16:9 monitor, you can test this by running the Windows 7 desktop in 1024x768. If the entire image is shown on the monitor, the GPU is set to upscale the video. If you see black bars on the side or black bars around the video, the GPU is set to Aspect ratio or No scaling. I think it could help with The Sims since the game is 4:3.

I don't know what video card you have but I'll provide instructions for NVIDIA and AMD cards. Intel also has settings for it but I don't have a PC with Intel HD Graphics, I only have a 2009 PC running Windows 10 Pro (was Windows 7 Home Premium upgraded to Windows 7 Professional) has the AMD Radeon HD 5670 graphics card while my Vista PC (Dell XPS 410) now has the NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (previously the ATI Radeon X1300).
    • For NVIDIA cards: Right click the desktop and click on NVIDIA Control Panel. Look for Display and click on Adjust desktop size and position. On the Scaling tab, select Aspect ratio. Click Apply.
    • For AMD cards: Right click the desktop and click on AMD Catalyst Control Center and click on My Digital Flat-Panels and click on Properties. Check Enable GPU up-scaling and click on Maintain aspect ratio and click Apply.

If you want to run the game in Windowed mode, you will want to find the resolution of your monitor to determine the size of a game in 1024x768. In lower resolutions like 1360x768 or 1280x1024, the window is bigger compared to resolutions like 1920x1080 and 2560x1440 where the window is smaller.

Right click the desktop and click on Screen Resolution, this will show you the highest resolution. The Recommended resolution is the native resolution, this is important for Windowed Mode since it could be bigger or smaller depending on current resolution. To run The Sims on Windowed mode at 1024x768, use Sims.exe -w -r1024x768. It could also help to lower the Windows desktop resolution to make The Sims window bigger.
    Post edited by WinMacSims3 on
    @WinMacSims3

Thanks for taking the time to help me with all that extra info. I changed my screen resolution via desktop on my 23 inch monitor to 1024x768 and went back into game and the sim detail was worse but the graphics still encompassed the whole of my screen.

The monitor resolution is set to its highest for normal use and playing other sims series at 1920x1080

my graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 770 and while I understand your instructions for changing the display as soon as my control panel opens I get a Microsoft message that it has stopped working and shuts down, I have not been able to resolve this yet however when I do I am worried that if I change something in my graphics card itself it will be permanent and effect my other sim games and graphics for other programs? or would I have to change something back and forth every time I want to play 1?

Also windowed mode 1024x768 Sims.exe-w-21024x768 I cannot find this anywhere I go into my Maxis folder in my documents and search the x86 files but cannot find anything that looks like this in the Deluxe folder it is Deluxe.far? not Sims exe? I have tried searching on line but still have no clue where that file is actually located sorry..

Please be aware I am not that techie minded so I am probably misunderstanding so apologies for that in advance :)

The problem with newer monitors is if you run a lower resolution that isn't a native resolution especially 4:3 resolutions, it doesn't look good due to the upscaling.

If you don't want to use the Run prompt every time you want to run the game in windowed mode, you can make a shortcut. To find out where the Sims.exe file is located at, open the Start Menu and type Sims.exe in the search box. Right click Sims.exe and click Properties and then click Open File Location. A window will open. Right click Sims.exe and click Create Shortcut. Right click the shortcut, click Properties and then type -w -r1024x768 in the Target field. It should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims\Sims.exe" -w -r1024x768

Move the shortcut to your desktop. If done correctly, The Sims should run in windowed mode in 1024x768

Does the Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered error message appear when you open the Windows control panel or the NVIDIA Control Panel? Here's the article explaining the Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered error. I think getting a new driver http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers/results/100902 could help fix the error but be aware that The Sims 3, The Sims Medieval, and The Sims 4 will have the options reset if you update your video card's driver.

When you change the Windows resolution, it only applies to the OS whereas any resolution changes made in a game only affect the game. Games in fullscreen will always run in their own resolutions regardless of Windows' resolution settings. For example, Windows is set to 1920x1080 while The Sims 4 is set to 1366x768 so when you run TS4 at 1366x768, the monitor will display the lower resolution but will go back to displaying 1920x1080 when you quit The Sims 4. When you run The Sims at 1024x768 in fullscreen, only the game will run at that resolution while Windows will still use 1920x1080. The scaling setting apply to Windows and any fullscreen game.
    @WinMacSims3

I tried to find the Sims.exe before in the way you suggest and all I get is a sims 1 blue game icon that once clicked on opens a box with the following name Sims properties with the headers, general, compatibility, security, details, previous versions. I also went into Maxis folder in programx86 and right clicked on the application and got the same box open as previously detailed so I am not sure where else I can look..

I have also searched the Maxis folder in x86 for the program file you have highlighted above but can find nothing that looks like that anywhere, I also placed this in the search bar and it just keeps coming up with the sims 1 icon in program files which in turn opens the same box????? I cannot understand what I am doing wrong.

I realize after I tried simply changing the resolution on my monitor that it would probably not change anything in the game but tried anyway just to see. I do understand what you mean when you state the game with play at a certain resolution regardless of the OS but as its auto with 2, 3 & 4 I have never had to try changing anything before.

Can you think of any other way I can find the Sims.exe as this is what appears to be holding me back.. as for the control panel thanks for the article info that's never happened to me before as far as I know and my graphics card/drivers are up to date..

edited May 2016
    The Sims has a blue icon, this is what The Sims' application icon should look like: (Windows Vista 64-bit)
    ts1_exe_file_by_didlilgirls-da157ks.png

If you don't see the .exe extension on the Start Menu Search or The Sims' directory, it's likely that the Hide extensions for known file types is turned on. You can change this setting by pressing the Alt key (between the Windows key and Spacebar) on a Windows Explorer window and clicking on Tools and then clicking Folder Options... In the Folder Options dialog, click the View tab and look for Hide extensions for known file types and uncheck it. Click OK or Apply. Now you will see the file extensions. It's normal that the extensions aren't shown because they not shown on Windows by default.

The Sims 2, The Sims Stories (Life/Pet/Castaway), The Sims 3, and The Sims Medieval will always default to 1024x768 in fullscreen (windowed for The Sims Stories unless the -f [fullscreen] is used) when you first launch it (when the game creates a folder in your Documents folder). However, The Sims 3 and The Sims Medieval will default to 1024x768 if you update your drivers.

Click Show for an explanation on why settings are reset in The Sims 3, Medieval, or 4.
    This is because the lastdevice in Options.ini (or Options) file was changed. The lastdevice string is changed when you play the game on a different computer, change your video card, or update your video card drivers. The string looks like this (the text on the lastdevice will vary between computers)
    lastdevice =

The file is located in C:\Users\user\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3
    Click Start and click Documents, click on Electronic Arts, and click on The Sims 3, and then click on Options.ini or Options. The Sims Medieval and The Sims 4 are also in the Electronic Arts folder and the Options.ini file is also on the respective game's folder.

If you move the original Options.ini file out of the game's folder and start The Sims 3, The Sims Medieval, or The Sims 4 to allow the game to create a new Options.ini file, you can get the new lastdevice line.
    1. Move the Options.ini file out of The Sims 3 folder and then launch The Sims 3 and quit it. This is so TS3 can create a new Options.ini file.
    2. Go to your The Sims 3 folder and open the new Options.ini file.
    3. Look for the lastdevice line and copy the new lastdevice line. After copying the text, close Notepad.
    4. Open the original Options.ini file and look for the lastdevice line. Paste the old lastdevice line with the new one, Save the file and close Notepad.
    5. Delete the new Options.ini in The Sims 3 folder and move the original Options.ini file back to the folder.
    6. Start The Sims 3. The game should should use your current settings rather than the default settings.
    You can also paste the new lastdevice line in The Sims Medieval's and The Sims 4's Options.ini file without starting those games. It's the same process as The Sims 3 except you don't have to move the file out of the folder.
    @WinMacSims3

After following your directions, Hide extensions for known file types and uncheck it the blue sims 1 icon in the Maxis folder program files x86 suddenly displayed the exe as shown above in your screenshot.

I then followed your directions from the earlier post and am still a little confused do I right click and the extra text to the sims exe in program files x86 or add the extra text after right clicking sims exe in program files x86 in the sims exe properties box which is the same as before with headers general, compatibility, security, details and previous versions header and the only place it looks like I could add any text is under general in the box to the right where is displays sims exe?

apologies if I have not explained properly I tried to take screenshots of the properties box to show you what I mean but could not find out how to do it but trying I have messed up something on my pc to do with picture taking so you can see why I am cautious.

Basically do I add the string of text after sims exe in the screenshot you post or do I add to the one in the proprieties box that opens after right clicking on the sims exe in program files?

Thanks to you I am sure I will get there which is as said appreciated.. :)
    It's not usually common that you do this on shortcuts but here's a screenshot of a dialog.
    ts_properties_by_didlilgirls-da19q6x.png

If you don't see the Shortcut tab, you might be selecting the actual exe file rather than the shortcut. To make a shortcut, right-click Sims.exe and click Create Shortcut. You should see another Sims icon which is a shortcut, it has an arrow. Move that shortcut to the desktop.

On the Shortcut tab of your Shortcut Properties, there's a field known as Target. At the end is -r1024x768 which has The Sims run in 1024x768 rather than 800x600. For example, if you wanted to run The Sims in Windowed mode, you would put a -w in the Target field or -w -r1024x768 to run the game in windowed mode at 1024x768. On the Start Menu, there's two The Sims icons which has the game run in 800x600 or 1024x768, the other shortcut has the -r1024x768.
    HI @WinMacSims3

It was snapshot to outline the properties box I was trying to take a pic of yesterday and failed-)

I went back to the sims exe in the Maxis folder in program files x86 and right click and again I get a sims properties box but not one with a shortcut.

I then went back into my hard drive and noticed the blue sims icon and right clicked that and was able to make a shortcut which appeared on my desktop.

I went to click it to go into my game and it asked me if I wanted to play in 800x600 or 1024x768 so I tried playing in 800x600 and the sim detail was worse and then came back out and clicked to play in 10x24 which was better but the same sim detail I posted the pic about above.

So if this is what you mean then 1024x768 is the better option for me despite the sim detail not being very good but if that's the best I can hope to get then there is not much I can do about it I suppose..

what I have noticed is now I do have a properties box with the shortcut header like the one shown in your pic but in my target box it is just G:\ and nothing else?? no mention of program files or the sims exe in the target box?

Does this mean I have done something wrong again?
    The Target and Start In fields should point to the Sims directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims\
    Target should be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims\Sims.exe"
    Start In should be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims"

The reason of why The Sims doesn't look good is due to the game being designed for CRT monitors which ran at 800x600 or 1024x768 (keep in mind The Sims came out in 2000). The Sims actually looks good on the older monitors, it won't look really good if you're playing the game on a modern monitor or laptop with higher resolutions. The same issue can also occur with HDTVs when playing games that were designed for 480i/576i TVs (mainly CRTs) instead of the 720p and 1080p HDTVs although this could vary by system.

You could address the 1024x768 problem by getting a 5:4 monitor such as the Dell Ultrasharp 17" 1707fp for £22.99.
    @WinMacSims3

I have worked out that this G:\ in the target field on the Sims properties refers to the disc making magic I think which is in my disc drive and enables me to play when I fire the game up..

I cannot for the life of me work out why the target is not C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims\Sims.exe" as obviously that's where it is actually installed although I am assuming now as I was given the choice in what resolution to play after adding the shortcut to desktop then those are the only 2 actual options I now have?

I hear what you are saying about a different monitor and while I do have a smaller one I keep in case my main one breaks down I doubt I would want to keep changing the monitor to play the game as its just not practical..

If the only way I can play is my sim still looking as the above pic then I will have to accept that but I posted the question as I thought it may have been something I was doing wrong and could have been changed to make it look better. The only thing I have not tried is windowed mode because other players have written that its too small to look at so I thought I would give that a pass..

Thank you so much for trying to help me with this at least now I am sure there is nothing more that can be done to make it better :)
    You're welcome.

The windowed mode is useful on monitors possibly up to 1080p resolution but isn't useful on large HDTVs or higher resolution monitors such as the Ultra HD monitors where it would be harder to see the game. It's more problematic on the higher resolution monitors with The Sims due to being capped at 1024x768. The Sims 2 through The Sims 4 allow higher resolutions which makes windowed mode less of a problem although The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories on Windows requires modification of the Graphics Rules file to allow resolutions higher than 1600x1200 such as 1920x1080 or 2560x1440.

I don't think I have anything further to say. I'm glad I could help.
    @WinMacSims3

you did help me a lot thank you for taking the time. Just one last little question. I was talking to my PC techie today and he suggested using an old laptop, ie choose the screen size and OS, it would of course probably come with integrated graphics which I am not used to but like he pointed out whenever I want to play I can simply pick up the laptop and use it for that purpose.

I really like this idea and he would put it together for me at a reasonable cost so was wondering what you could advise me what to look for that would work just for sims 1?
    edited May 2016
    The best OS to get for The Sims 1 is probably Windows XP. Remember when I said that Windows Vista, 7, and 8.1 has problems with the KB3086255 update that prevent The Sims 1 from working? With Windows XP, you won't have that problem! Also used PCs that have Windows XP are cheaper than modern new PCs that are offered on sale.

The Sims pretty much works on any graphics even the integrated graphics like a Intel GMA 950 so it shouldn't have issues.

I found a Compaq NC6320 for £49.99 that is in the U.K.
    • Windows XP Professional
    • Intel Dual Core T2400 (Core 2 Duo) at 1.83 GHz
    • 2GB RAM
    • 40GB Hard drive (5400 RPM), SATA 1
    • Intel GMA 950
    • 15" 1024x768
    • 802.11g

This is probably the only suitable laptop I could find that isn't from the United States. Since this is in the United Kingdom, you don't need to get a plug adapter, it does come with a mains charger.

Finding laptops on eBay is possible but trying to find laptops that aren't missing anything (power adapters) isn't. Some laptops I found state that they don't include the charger and most often shipped/posted from the United States. Getting PCs or monitors from the United States shouldn't be a problem to use in the UK because computers and monitors have a multi-voltage power supply from 100-240 volts 50/60Hz. For desktops, be sure the switch is on 230 volts.
    @WinMacSims3

Thanks for pointing that Laptop out and the specs that will be good for the game, I think this is a better way to go as I can just pick up a laptop and play rather than thinking about changing monitors etc :)