Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share WINNERS' CIRCLE: Find out results and discuss the entries here!

Comments

• Options
    SimLover48702SimLover48702 Posts: 153 Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm not all that well with building, but I love it. Can't wait for next months build!
    tumblr_mub46s5VJ51so0aeto1_500.gif
  • Options
    BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #168 THE NOVELIST

VannaRed
    Nice job capturing Fire's style with this Gothic-inspired house. The arched windows and gingerbread gable trim are lovely touches. With such a tall house, I would like to have seen some variation in the exterior wall treatments, but I do like that the CASt you used makes the house blend into the surroundings, adding to the secluded factor. Good use of terrain paints. You made some great object choices, especially on the main floor with the Victorian artwork and ornate furniture pieces. I love that you gave Fire multiple places for writing - you really took advantage of the view out back! The open loft area on the third floor gives a very dramatic feel to the home, without straying from the architectural style you chose. I wish you would have landscaped more in the front, as it feels rather empty. However, you did a beautiful job on the landscaping around the pool. Overall, the home feels very cozy and intimate. Great job!

iampes23
    This Second Empire Gothic home is definitely dramatic like Fire wanted, from the very first street view! The bold colors and the fog add to that drama. Good use of terrain paints and landscaping to create a secluded feel without obscuring the spectacular views all around the house. Your furnishings are in keeping with the Gothic style, and your color palettes are mostly cohesive, with the exception of the purple rooms - the red doors/windows stick out a bit, so I wish you had CASt them to match those rooms. Overall, though, you stuck to your palettes nicely. The library/study area is gorgeous - easily my favorite room in the house! Nice use of MOO to create a vanity in the master bathroom. While your curtains throughout the house are pretty, I wish you'd chosen styles that didn't cover the windows so much - you miss the views in a lot of those rooms. You made great choices in objects and clutter, and you clearly put a lot of thought into Fire's writing environment. Well done!

And the winner is....

iampes23! Congratulations!

Winner of the optional challenge is also iampes23! It was entertaining to learn about Fire and see her enjoying her home, despite that stinky llama! Way to go!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    ADVANCED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #168 THE NOVELIST

Moonandsixpens
    Gothic and modern are two very different styles that aren't easy to blend together, but you've combined them so well with this build! The architecture is visually striking with the varied roof heights, the pool down the center, the bridge, and the nice mix of exterior wall treatments. You really take advantage of the views with so many windows. Your landscaping is sparse, as is the furnishing on your outdoor patio areas. It can be tough to stay under budget. A tip in this case might be to make the patio/pool space a little bit smaller and then fill in with inexpensive plants, like the hydrangeas that are only $1. You can also use terrain paints for free to create landscaping interest. Your interiors are so beautiful. I love the bold patterns you used on the flooring and focal walls - it's so easy to overdo, but your execution was wonderful here. Your furnishings and objects, while sparse, were well chosen. Nice use of MOO in the bathrooms and the master bedroom - that headboard is dramatic and elegant! Fire is beautiful - I loved getting to "know" her a little bit. Wonderful job!

Mederouin
    Ohh, Mederouin, you have really outdone yourself here! What a stunning build! An island lot is the perfect place for both seclusion and dramatic views from all sides. That waterfall is GORGEOUS and perfectly proportioned for the size of the lot - it doesn't look out of place at all. I love how you married the relaxed coastal style with a bit of a modern flair, particularly with the multiple fencing styles you chose on the exterior. You did a great job mixing different textures and patterns in your interior. Good use of MOO throughout, especially the grouping of hanging lanterns in the 2-story entry foyer. Love the writer's loft! Your clutter is great, and you really got creative with some of those buydebug lights! Good job using the platform tool to create level changes - that can be tricky. I really like the color palette in the spare bedroom, so soothing. The grouping of clocks is fun and quirky. I really don't have a lot of criticism for you, only to fine-tune some of your color combinations. It felt a little haphazard in a few rooms with so many different shades of blue. Overall, though, it's a beautiful build. Well done!

And the winner is.........

Mederouin! Congratulations!

The winner of the Optional Challenge is Moonandsixpens!

GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    moonandsixpensmoonandsixpens Posts: 553 Member
    Thank you very much for the comments! And congrats to @mederouin , sir/lady you did a really wonderful job with the landscaping :D
    tumblr_noncvdlzEI1unxm84o1_540.png

• Options
    VannaRedVannaRed Posts: 167 Member
    Congrats to all the winners. Your houses were amazing! So were the rest of the houses though. I wouldn't want to be a judge. ;)
    Thanks for the feedback on my build.
  • Options
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #169 A PATCHWORK FAMILY

SimLover48702
    The exterior of your build is architecturally interesting. You kept it from feeling overly boxy with the cantilevered portions and added interest with the varied exterior treatments. Your roofing choice is very contemporary. The taller gable in front above the three arched windows should have been dragged back to meet the main roof. I like the way you softened the stark lines of the house with flowers and bushes, making it homey and welcoming. Inside feels very warm and inviting with the wall color you chose. You made good object choices in the living room, especially the wall art. I would have liked to see a floor rug to break up that large expanse of wood floor. The kitchen is a good size, with plenty of room for a big family to gather for a meal. Try to use the CASt tool more so that your furnishings and wall treatments are more cohesive. The orange chair cushions don't make sense next to the green, red, and pink wallpaper. The nursery is very cute! I like that you used the giant panda as a nod to Liling and Lihua's heritage. The baby gates were a smart choice, too. The animal rug is a nice touch in the boys' room. I love Aleela's room with all of the wood, the canopy bed, and the side table you chose. It looks like a little hut! Nice clutter in the master bedroom. Overall, this was a great build. My only big critiques would be to use CASt to make your palettes more cohesive and to use every penny you have to flesh out the house. You had almost $12K leftover that could have been used for rugs, wall art, mirrors, and clutter. The Salvadors will have plenty of room to grow in the house you built for them. Great job!

And the winner is......

SimLover48702! Congratulations!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    ADVANCED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #169 A PATCHWORK FAMILY

Mederouin

You may not be on FLW's level, but you certainly understand his design philosophy! The lines of this build are fantastic. It has a solid presence, without taking away from the surroundings. Great use of CFE and the terrain sculpting tool to create the tuck-under garage and basement. The retaining wall is a nice continuation of the house and flows well with the outdoor space. The terrain paints look very natural with the landscaping you chose. I love what you did with the roof! Adding the floor tiles around the perimeter really accentuates that prairie roof line. The porches give the family a lot of extra outdoor space. The interior floor plan is well thought out. There is plenty of room for 8 people in the common areas of the house. You made so many great object choices throughout, and while it was challenging to marry so many different ethnicities within an arts-and-crafts style, you really nailed it. It ends up feeling eclectic and bohemian, just like the Salvadors. Nice use of accent walls, with the exposed brick in the basement, the boys' room, and the art space for Serena. The living room seating area works so well, with plenty of space for the whole family to sit there and enjoy the fire or curl up with a good book. Loved the raised dining area and the diagonal island in the kitchen. You made such great use of MOO and clutter throughout the house. The built-ins are a nice FLW touch. I really don't have much in the way of suggestions. I thoroughly enjoyed every nook and cranny of this build. Well done!

And the winner is...

MEDEROUIN! Congratulations on a well-deserved win!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    BEGINNER RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #171 THE SWAN SONG

blair2396
    Ivy Crest is such a nice build! The footprint of the house is architecturally interesting. Watch your roof lines when you draw them - be sure to draw them all the way into adjoining roof sections so you don't end up with gullies (see the 1x5 tile bump out on the left of the house for an example). You used a very cheerful palette on the exterior, and I like the way the blue flowers contrast with the warm tones of the house. The backyard could have used some more landscaping, but it certainly looks like a great place to hang out. Love the pond! Great use of terrain paints. Your object choices are wonderful throughout. The clutter really makes it look homey and comfortable! The kitchen is so spacious and would be perfect for Sims with the natural cook trait. I think my favorite parts are the teen bedroom and the little sitting nook in the bay of the master bedroom. A few tips when taking your screenshots are to make sure all the lights are turned on and to use the Q and E controls in Camera Mode to get down at Sim's-eye level. Overall, this is a wonderful build that you should be proud of. Even though yours was the only build, your win is well-deserved. Great job!

And the winner is...

BLAIR2396! CONGRATULATIONS!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    ADVANCED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #171 THE SWAN SONG

mederouin
    Another fantastic build! You really managed to meld a tree house feel with a modern aesthetic. The rustic stone and wood elements work well together, and the strong columns are both contemporary and evoke the feeling of tall tree trunks. The landscaping choices you made--both plants and sculpting--feel very natural and in keeping with your overall theme. The waterfall is a lovely touch. Nice use of clutter in the kitchen. I like the juxtaposition of the rough wood of the table legs and cabinets with the more sleek light fixture and tile around the island. It feels eclectic. Your palette is mostly in harmony with the colors of the surrounding views, which is very soothing. Nice custom artwork. Great use of MOO in the living room over that fantastic glass floor. You really took advantage of views in ALL directions! I like the layering of artwork in the bedroom with the Murphy bed. LOVE the master suite--it's so tranquil! The nursery is really fun with the wave and the coastal theme. The multi-layered decking allows for nearly 360-degree views. Beautiful job!

AND THE WINNER IS...

MEDEROUIN! CONGRATULATIONS!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #171 THE SWAN SONG

FLSTRider
    The exterior of your build is beautiful! The diagonal garage placement is visually interesting and can be tricky to roof, but you incorporated it well. Your exterior color scheme is harmonious and pleasing, and it is accented nicely by the landscaping choices you made. Great use of terrain paint. Your layout appears to be well-thought out. Nice use of MOO with the TV and bookcase in the living room. You made good object choices, particularly in the garage. It's hard to say for the rest of the build as there aren't pictures of many of the individual rooms. We generally advise taking several shots per room at a Sim's eye level to really showcase your work. My only other suggestion is to play with CASt more to make your color palettes more cohesive. It's a very solid build; I just wish I could see more of it. For screenshot tips, read the end of this post. Also, some tips for staying in budget are to recolor less expensive items to look higher-end, using the free wood flooring, recoloring the cheaper wall treatment options (like the $4 wallpaper ones), and using free items like lighting from the buydebug catalog. I really enjoyed your build and hope to see more from you in the future!

iampes23
    What an interesting build! The cantilevered rooms around the exterior of the main shell hint at a spiral, which, while still boxy, somehow soften all of the hard lines a bit. They are a fun architectural element. You made great use of terrain paints and landscaping to further soften the sharp lines. The garden is lovely! I do wish the exterior were not so stark. It's an awful lot of black-on-black, which makes it hard to see where doors and windows end and walls begin. Inside feels very sleek and modern. You made great object choices, particularly in the powder room and the master bathroom. Love the gallery feel near the stairs on the 2nd floor! Nice use of MOO with the shelves in the master bathroom. The space-themed bedroom is especially fun, with theme-appropriate details like the light fixture. Very cute! I also really loved that you put all of the artwork at kid height on the 3rd floor. I wish that there were more pops of color to balance the black-and-white monochrome effect a bit more, but overall this is a great build!

symphonicecho
    This is such a conceptually cool house! I love that you brought a hive to life and the way you echoed the octagonal shapes of the rooms with hedges outside. The circular windows work well, giving a sort of honeycomb effect to each room. I like the thoughtful placement of the pollinator garden right next to the actual beehives--beautiful and smart! Inside felt a bit chaotic to me. There were so many themes and patterns going on that it didn't feel cohesive like the outside. Be careful when combining patterns; make sure that they work together rather than fighting for visual attention. Also work on honing your color palettes so they're more harmonious. Octagonal rooms can be difficult to work with, but I think you made great choices in placement of your objects. You really made sure that there's something for everyone, and each space flows well from one area to the next. Try to make sure grid lines are not visible in your pictures, either by taking pics in Live Mode or by turning the grid lines off in Build Mode. This was such an unusual idea - I love the way you executed it!

Jessabeans
    What a darling house! I'm so in love with the exterior...the stone, the shingles, the rough-hewed wood timbers. It's all so cohesive and well done. Your landscaping choices match the rustic, country feel of the home and create an idyllic outdoor space, particularly the pond with the art gazebo. The outdoor dining area looks like the perfect place for a farm-to-table family meal. The playground is really fun and provides lots of opportunities for tag, hide-n-seek, and imaginative play. Inside, you managed to make a large home feel cozy with the warm, wood tones and the aspen room dividers. It feels cozy and spacious at the same time. The girls' room is very sweet, with great clutter objects. I love the personal touch of the wedding photo above the mantel in the upstairs living area. This home feels loved and lived-in. I just wish there were more photos of the individual rooms. Next time, try to get 3-4 of each room to really showcase your work. Also, we need the cost of the build before you play it and it depreciates. Lovely build!

Glen1974
    What a sleek, modern build! Your exterior wall treatments are very complementary and evoke the colors of the water view. Great use of friezes and CFE to create cantilevers and multi-levels. Your landscaping is tastefully done and appropriate for the style of your build. I love the choices you made in the long planter by the grill. The curves of the pool balance the strong, straight lines of the house, and the wide, expansive stairs echo the horizon line. I love the way you laid out the master bedroom suite, using the free-standing wall as a divider and a focal point. I also like the way you staggered the fixtures in the master bathroom--both practical and modern. You made a lot of great choices with CASt, particularly the geometric mirror outside the master bedroom; it captures all of the colors and textures of the surrounding objects and pops against that green wall. I also really liked your use of focal walls in all of the bedrooms. It's a great, inexpensive way to add visual interest. You definitely took advantage of the stunning views. What a view, indeed!

paneinger
    This is such a cute Craftsman house! I like the way you mixed exterior wall treatments and the way you used terrain paints and flower beds to tie the garage/barn to the main house. Your landscaping is appropriate for the style of house, and the floral pergolas are a nice touch. Great open layout to the main living areas. Your kitchen is very cute and set up nicely, although I wish there was more color. The cabinets are a lot of white. Maybe a different color on the island base cabinets would have balanced it a bit more. I love the hanging herb garden over the farm sink! Great use of MOO throughout, particularly the little desk in the living room. I like the idea of the arch over the master bed, but it feels out of place in the room, especially given how it obscures half of the windows in the bay. I did really enjoy the colors and patterns. It was close to being too busy, but you managed to walk that line and make it quirky and fun. All of your bathrooms are beautiful and soothing, as are the nursery and the guest room. I like the way you used the platform tool to make porches without using an actual foundation. The story was really fun to read through and helped elaborate on your concept. Well done!

suzes
    This is an adorable build! It's so cheerful and homey--looks like a wonderful place to raise a family. Your landscaping choices complement both the house and the landscape of the surrounding town. Beautiful outdoor spaces, with the garden, the deck and porches, and the inground pool. The layout appears to be well-thought out and flows nicely. Your entire interior color palette is harmonious and soothing. I love the little CASt details that tie everything together like the wicker touches in the master bedroom and the accent columns in the LR/DR that tie in with the wood of the wall and door trim. You did so many subtle things in CASt that really unify all the spaces together. You made lovely object choices throughout, and the custom art is a nice touch. The kids' bathroom is darling with that little sailboat toy. I also really liked that you used the anchors on the front and back gables where there would normally be a window or vent IRL--very creative! Great use of MOO with the shelves above the stove in the kitchen as well as with the furnishings in the study nook. It's a beautiful home!

ElleDaes
    The architecture of your build is very interesting. I would have liked to see a mixture of wall treatments rather than all one treatment, but your roof lines are well done. I like the way you incorporated the balcony on the second level. The patio lights that meet at the central post are very cute and festive. The stocked pond and high fence around the garden area will be appreciated by avid gardeners. Inside didn't feel very cohesive, unfortunately. Some rooms seemed empty and unfinished, while others had patterns and colors that didn't make sense together. I also found all of the different door styles confusing. I did really like the way you added curtains and a mirror around the 4-poster bed to make it more grand; it worked well with the heavy timbering on the wall treatment. The curtained dressing nook up on the platform in the master bedroom was a great touch. Nice job!

Tied for Second Place are...

Jessabeans and Glen1974!

And the First Place Winner is...

SUZES!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    glen1974glen1974 Posts: 86 Member
    Thanks so much and well done to everyone who took part.
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Thank you so much! All the entries were very nicely done. It was loads of fun to look at them all and get new ideas. Thanks to the organizers and judges for your efforts and a well run challenge.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    flstriderflstrider Posts: 1,912 Member
    Thank you for the feedback I really enjoyed doing this very much but I think I will stick to the world building for a while. I will keep an eye on the various contests and enter every so often to keep up and improve my lot building skills. Thank you again for such great contests and I do so hope that they will continue
    My World's thread linked in Sig
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #172 FALL DESIGNER SHOWDOWN

blair2396
    It was obvious from the start which object you chose with this cute coastal-themed house. Great use of terrain paints to create a beach-y feel in the yard, which will be a fun place to hang out for a laid-back family. Watch your roof lines where they meet the 2nd floor walls; you don't want the roof to slope down toward the wall and create gullies. I love how the coastal theme was literal in some cases, like the waves on the wallpaper in the entry and more subtle in the upstairs bathroom wall treatment, with the textured aqua and sand wallpaper. While some rooms felt a bit empty, the clutter you chose was really wonderful and right in line with the theme. The louvered interior doors, the oceania orb lanterns, the bayside cabinetry, and all of the coastal tchotchkes were great choices. The custom artwork was a lovely touch. Be careful when taking photos that you don't zoom out too much and create a fishbowl effect. Overall, you did a great job. I think my favorite room was the large, homey eat-in kitchen. It's a perfect space for a large family to hang out!

linzlulubell
    Fantastic curb appeal! The choices you made in exterior wall treatments are very complementary, and the tin roof adds to the coastal feel. Great landscaping choices. The garage doors appear to be in a different place than they were in the shell. The back patio is very cute--love the way you made the raised platform for the hot tub! Inside, you made so many great choices with your clutter objects and artwork. I like the way you configured the cabinets in the kitchen to create a natural flow - good use of space. The aqua felt a little bit overused, but you clearly spent a long time in CASt coordinating everything. I particularly loved what you did in CASt with the pillows on the love seat in the upstairs loft area, as well as the red-and-white striped planter in the red and blue bedroom that looks like a lighthouse. Nice use of MOO with the desk area in the red and blue room. The mermaid room is bright and fun. Although I do wish the brown wicker on many of the walls was not so dark and heavy, you made great use of different textures throughout. Your artwork is beautiful and captures that coastal feel so well. Overall, you did a wonderful job!

Symphonicecho
    This is definitely one very WILD house! I loved reading the backstory of the Ungles and getting to know them. The bit about how Jewel was conceived had me laughing out loud. The exterior wall treatments were a very bold choice--maybe a bit too busy--but it was clear that the tigervine plant was your inspiration piece. I love the way you created a little desert oasis in the backyard with the little pond and the layered landscaping in the opposite corner. The choices you made in your 1st floor interiors are very well layered. Your color palette is warm and earthy with subtle layers of texture and shade. I like the way you incorporated the tiger striping in the family room rug and the kitchen flooring without being over-the-top. You obviously spent a lot of time putting the flooring together to create separate spaces in the wide open room--it actually kind of reminds me of the tomb mazes. Great use of MOO with the columns and floating shelf in the kitchen, as well as the floating shelf behind the bed in the master. Great use of focal walls in the TV room. I also liked the staggered statuettes in that room--the feathers on the middle one and robes on the other two seem to echo the tigervine feathers. The jungle bedroom is also a nice touch with all of the natural elements and the moon light, for when they want to feel like they're sleeping under the stars without having to travel to far away lands. I would have liked to have seen more pictures of the bathrooms, particularly the master. It's hard to see from the overhead shots and the couple of interior pics. Overall, I feel like you really captured the Ungles' adventurous spirit!

glen1974
    This house has a great coastal feel to it. Your landscaping and the creeping vines have a breezy, relaxed feel, and the borders around your terrain paint make it feel more finished while still maintaining the coastal theme. I like the way you CASt the ceiling on the front porch to feel a bit like driftwood. Inside, I love the porthole door in the study and the porthole window in one of the bathrooms--cute touch! The bright blue you used on the kitchen tile and elsewhere is a color that could easily overpower a room; you balanced it nicely with the white, gray, and wood tones. I like the striping on the apron and the pitcher above that looks like a little lighthouse. You made great object choices both with clutter and furniture--I particularly liked the interior shutters by the tub. Nice use of MOO with the life preservers framing the mirrors in a couple of the bathrooms. You made great use of focal walls. Be careful when combining patterns with so many different colors, like in the kids' bedroom. Those combinations did not feel as harmonious as it could have been with a more set palette. Overall, you did a very nice job. I loved the window seats the best!

suzes
    You did a beautiful job on this build. You have great curb appeal with your exterior wall treatments and the lovely layers of landscaping. The intermittent fencing around the back patio with the strings of lights in between give a feeling of privacy without completely enclosing the space. Some of your brickwork on the patio itself is oriented in different directions, and I couldn't tell if it was intentional or not. Nice job using MOO on the plants, both in the yard and in the planters on the patio. I really love your soothing, soft color palettes throughout the house. You did a great job of combining the island feel that Lani likes with the more contemporary lines of the furnishings. It feels eclectic and elegant. Great use of MOO with the living room bookcase, the shelves in the cats' space (with cat food!), and the bookcase attached to the bar in the kitchen. You balanced the colors really well in the kitchen--it's all very harmonious. You made great object choices throughout, especially with all of the greenery you brought indoors, really creating that indoor/outdoor island feel. I loved the subtle tone-on-tone striping of the blue walls in the bedroom with the shell lamps. It's a lovely build. I think the art studio is my favorite space, but it's a tough choice! I liked meeting the Towlers and seeing pictures of those adorable kitties!

iampes23
    This looks like the place to be for an island-themed party! The pond with the lit flowers makes it feel like you're really at the beach. I like the way you filled the boat with flowers like a planter. The skeleton out front is pretty hilarious. I like the soft aqua you used on the walls on the main floor combined with the faded driftwood accents that look like they were bleached from years in the sun. You made good object choices throughout with coastal themed items. Nice job with MOO around the fireplace--it makes quite a statement with that built-in. Love all the clutter in the kitchen and pantry. The wallpaper in the formal sitting room was a bit overpowering. I would have either used less of it, maybe only on a focal wall, or made the palette less high-contrast. I particularly liked the bedroom with the wicker bed and cabinetry on either side, a quaint little hideaway. Nice use of MOO to make a vanity between the sinks in the master bathroom. And that walk-in shower...WOWZA! Overall, it's a very fun house that doesn't take itself too seriously. The Salt family seems like they are in for some turbulent waters...good thing there are lots of nooks and crannies where they can get away from each other!

AND THE WINNER IS...

SUZES! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

And the winner of the optional challenge is Symphonicecho! Congratulations!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    SymphonicechoSymphonicecho Posts: 11 New Member
    Thank you very much, big smile on my face - unfortunately not getting back until a few days so will post my submission later to show everyone but will miss the deadline. Thank you again :)
  • Options
    ADVANCED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #172 FALL DESIGNER SHOWDOWN

Mederouin
    Wow, take away the roofing and you get an entire new build! That almost shocked me. I had to take a few good looks to make sure it was actually the same structure. The inspiration for your build was pretty clear and I liked how you incorporated it into your build. I love the bedrooms, I think the master bedroom is my favourite room in this build.

A suggestion: While a simplistic and serene garden fits the asian style, some areas feel a bit bare. I would maybe have create more defined areas in the garden, with pathways or ornaments. to make it feel more ‘designed’

I liked the background story you gave this build. Erika and Annalee sounds really great. Too bad you didn’t have the time to actually play them and get pictures.

chrischris8894
    You made it into a lovely house. It looks homey and family friendly. The playground items in the backyard enhance that feeling. I loved the flower’beds’ you made on the front with the half walls and the shrubs. Great detail for decorating in the interior. The little knick knacks here and there made the house look homey and lived in. My favourite would be either the breakfast bench/table set up, or the dining room, I really love the colours in the dining room.

A suggestion: While I did see the inspiration items back in the house, I don’t really see how they inspired your build/interior on it. Maybe it’s just me and I missed it though.

The Baileys sound like a lovely family and I think the house reflected their life style perfectly. I loved seeing them in their new home.

AND THE WINNER IS....

Mederouin!

And the winner for the optional challenge is......

chrischris8894!

GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    ADVANCED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #173 SEARCHING FOR HYGGE

Mederouin
    This is such a charming little cottage! The red shutters are lovely and bright against the siding. The floral pergola is a nice touch over the front porch. Good use of terrain paints and sculpting tools. I like that you varied your exterior wall treatments and tied all of the colors together with that upper gable. Your interior layout is both open and still cozy on the first floor. Love the exposed brickwork and the ceiling timbers. You really managed to fit a lot in here with the budget. Great office space and cozy screened-in porches - those were my favorite spots! I would have liked to see it with all of the lights on, but other than that, it's very cute and well-thought-out. Great job!

And the winner is...

MEDEROUIN!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #173 SEARCHING FOR HYGGE

Ciane
    This looks like a beautiful build. I wish there were more than 5 screenshots so we could see all of your hard work!

DolphineQ
    What a quaint little build! Your roof line is architecturally interesting, and the thatch material contrasts nicely with the dark wood siding, as does the stone around the entryway. Your landscaping is beautifully done with good use of MOO and terrain paints. I love that you made such thoughtful choices about having a clothesline in lieu of a dryer, no electric lighting, and minimal appliances inside. I also like that you included a fenced garden. Nice touch! The upstairs living room is very cozy around the fireplace. Great use of nooks for both the fireplace and the desk. Nikolaj will love writing there. I wish there were a bit more color infused in your palettes, as some rooms felt a bit somber and heavy. Your layout appears to be well-thought-out, though, and that balcony space is gorgeous! I would have liked to see more pictures with the walls up and around the exterior of the house, but I understand that your camera mode wasn't cooperating. Lovely job!

iampes23
    Beautiful front elevation! Your landscaping is gorgeous and complementary to both the house and the surrounding areas. The little shed is adorable - love that it has a bike for eco-friendly transportation. The pond is a nice touch, although I wish the drop off at the edge of the lot on that side weren't so severe. Fabulous use of terrain sculpting and paint. I like that you mixed wall treatments on the front especially, as it keeps the busy brick pattern from being overwhelming. You made great object choices inside, and your palette is warm and cozy. Great use of different textures in the green bedroom. I love that you made his/hers work stations so they can work side-by-side, and I particularly loved your use of MOO with the shelves in the nook near the desks. The patio is cute and a nice place to wait for their clothing to dry in the sun. I like that you used a lot of greenery on the first floor to bring the outdoors inside when it's cold and snowy outside. Well done!

linzlulubell
    Oh my goodness, this cottage is gorgeous! I adore the way you layered the landscaping so well and the way the stairs meander down the hill. Love the scarecrow! You used the terrain sculpting tool so well to blend the lot into the surrounding area and to make it more interesting than a flat lot would have been. The water wheel is a wonderful touch and looks like it belongs there right at the edge of the lake, as does the little well. The warm wood tones in the stairs, balcony, and doors/windows balance the cool grays in the stone. Inside is so lovely. It feels open and cozy all at once with the high ceilings and exposed stone walls. Your color palettes are harmonious and work well together. Nice object choices throughout -- it feels so homey and welcoming with the little things like the cuckoo clock and the antique towel holder. The loft bedroom is fantastic. Children would love playing up there, and including the desk space in the loft allows for some adult supervision! Beautiful job!

And the winner is...

LINZLULUBELL!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    ADVANCED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #174 PHOENIX RISING

Mederouin
    First off, you are a great writer. I had so much fun following Tess' story. She went through so much... an alien abduction, playing guitar for the stingy Grim Reaper, that crazy bachelorette party (buddy, slow down on the nectar!), Malcolm showing up to their wedding in swim trunks, and then Eden. It was a long road. I felt so happy for Tess when she was finally in her own house, built by her own blood, sweat, and tears. And what a house it is! All of the windows and balconies keep a small space nice and open, taking advantage of that beautiful view. It's hard not to end up with a boxy build on such a small lot, but you made it architecturally interesting with a modern flair. Using CFE on such a small lot is also tricky, so hats off to you for that! I liked that you made a green space on the roof for Tess to continue gardening and kept her sleeping bag there for nights when she needs to sleep under the stars. I also really liked the visual interest on the roof with the friezes and the fencing. Your diagonal stair placement was unexpected, and the black railing next to it was a nice touch. The kitchen, while tiny, feels very open with that big butcher-block covered island; it's a very smart use of space. Good use of muted neutrals in your interiors with pops of bright colors. Great use of MOO with wall art and clutter. The basement art space is messy and fluid like a real, working creative space. I love that the lamp Tess had next to her easel when she was painting outside is still on the ground next to the easel. Also, the rocking zebra made me laugh. I love the whimsical, contemporary feel of Eden's nursery. Well done!

Aricarai
    What a darling little cottage! Your roofing is terrific, particularly the gambrel portion. Your landscaping is beautiful, the bright colors popping against the weathered shingles. The shutters around the front window and the style of light fixtures you used outside are complementary to the style of your build. I like that the layout has lots of little nooks and crannies, just like a cottage would have in real life. You color palette inside is very soothing and beachy. I like the contrast of the clean white trim with the rustic driftwood textures. The fireplace in the corner of the living area is very cozy! I really love the sunburst effect of the rounded blinds you chose over the squared windows. Great use of CFE to create the sunken art studio with floor-to-ceiling windows. Tess will enjoy painting in there! You had wonderful clutter in that room. I wish there had been a bit more clutter in the kitchen -- some hand towels or plants -- but overall your object choices were lovely throughout. I really liked the private outdoor shower hidden behind the fence, clever! I appreciate the artsy feel of your pictures, and just wish there had been more of each room so I could have gotten a better sense of each space. You have a great eye for vignettes. I enjoyed reading about Tess' adventures on the streets and was relieved for her when she was able to cure Finn's zombie curse! Also, the pie-covered faces had me laughing. You did a beautiful job with the build and the story!

Paneinger
    For someone who doesn't normally build in a modern style, you really seem to have a handle on it! Great use of different textures on your exterior wall treatments. I like how your entry is actually on the second floor, giving Tess more privacy in her studio. The build is asymmetrical but still feels balanced. I love your design aesthetic inside. You made fantastic object choices throughout, and your palette is both funky and sophisticated. I love the bold colors and patterns with the deep tones of the walls and furniture. I wish there were a dining space inside, rather than just one on the balcony. I adore Tess' studio. It's easily my favorite room of the house. I like the barn doors, the fun floral wallpaper, and how it manages to feel open and cozy at the same time. The way the ceiling beams come to a "T" felt a little odd structurally. There should be a column where the two beams meet, or the beams that start at the windows need to go all the way to the opposite wall, for load-bearing purposes. Great use of pattern on the walls in the adjoining bathroom. It works really well with the pattern on the rug. The laundry nook in the basement is cute. I just wish you would have had time to finish the rest of that level! Love her bedroom -- the colors are really beautiful together. Nice use of MOO with the jarred lights over the bed, and the curtains frame it all nicely. The master en suite looks so relaxing. I really like the layering of the dangling lights around the mirror. The outdoor terrace is wonderful! Your object choices here were so well done. I bet Tess and her friend will spend a lot of time up there, and I bet Captain Cookies McWaffles will enjoy all of these new comforts. Great job!

Chrischris8894
    What a bright and cheerful modern home! I like the warm wood tones you chose for the exterior and the bright pops of color in the front landscaping. Your layout is well thought out. The colors you chose inside were vivid and lively. I like the way the green sofa contrasts against the deep blue of the wall. You balanced the bright pops of color really well with wood tones and wall colors; it doesn't feel overwhelming. I love that the dining chairs are different colors. Your kitchen layout is very efficient and feels like a separate space while still being open to the adjoining rooms. The bedroom palette is very bold. I just wish you had pulled the blue of the bed cover somewhere else in the room so that color would make more sense with the rest of that palette. I like that you put the washing machine in the bathroom. I might have switched places with the shower and the washer, though, so the shower didn't cover part of the window. Nice job on the art studio. I like the way you randomly staggered the art on the wall. Good use of MOO with the art supply shelf doubling as a windowsill. I'm sure with Tess being a frugal Sim that she will appreciate the clothesline and the solar panels. Nice job!

All of these builds were wonderful. It was a really close one to judge! But the winner is...

ARICARAI!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

And the winner of the Optional Challenge is MEDEROUIN - that was a crazy and well-told story! Congrats!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Thank you so much for the lovely comments and feedback! I really enjoyed this challenge and look forward to many more! :)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #174 PHOENIX RISING

ciane
    The architecture is really pretty and I really enjoy the outdoor rooftop artist area you've created. Your exterior paint choices are really lovely. They add depth and curb appeal. I really like the little bathroom nook in the bedroom. And how you angled the rug under the bed. I like how you used the different wall coverings on the inside; they kind of work as a sort of wall art which is perfect for a relatively low-budget build! Overall your layout and color scheme is very good. It's a really lovely build! Good job!

Iampes23
    Your architecture is unique and interesting. I like that you added some landscaping but I would have liked to see some dirt under the trees. I really like the living room area with the stone accent wall. I like how your challenge lead Tess to a pregnancy so you chose to add a nursery in your build. I really like the outdoor areas; the rooftop garden is creative. I really like the easel room with all the windows. For the most part you used an ample amount of wall art and decorations such as plants and rugs. Very lovely! Your overall layout is lovely. It's a really nice build!

Kgaff
    Your architecture is really simple but pretty. Your build definitely has the Victorian feel inside and out. I really like what you did with the columns and paint in the bedroom behind the bed. Your art area is really nicely laid out but I would have liked to see some wall art in there. Maybe something Tess painted? Your overall layout is really great and there's a lot of fluidity from one room to the next. I feel like the foyer could have used a plant and/or some wall art. The basement is a lovely addition! It's a really pretty build!

suzses
    Your architecture and garden are very lovely and go well together. I really like the main living area; it has a really nice layout as well as use of colors, textures and patterns. Your overall color scheme is really nice. The attic is a nice touch but I would have liked to see more wall art in there and maybe a rug. It's a really fantastic build! Good job!

And the winner is...

SUZSES!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

And the winner of the Optional Challenge is CIANE – that was a really creative story with many wonderful details!
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited April 2016
    Thanks so very much. :) I would agree with you on the attic. Initially, I thought of leaving it as an empty bonus room and then decided to stick a few things up there. After I submitted, it occurred to me that without a set budget, I should have just finished it completely.

Congrats, Ciane, on your story. I thought you did a great job with it, too.

(Edit for typo.)
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    And Congrats to you @suzses. You always have such lovely builds!

Thank you for liking my story. I love stories. :)
  • Options
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #175 - A RIVER VIEW

@iampes23

The Little Victorian Cottage is a beautiful build with a good solid structure and great roofing. Perfect choice of windows and doors for this style, enhancing the exterior appearance and providing lots of light to the interiors. Love the sandpit outdoors with the bench perfectly placed for toddlers to be watched over. Wonderful interior layout with all rooms easily accessible. The open plan concept gives an air of spaciousness. You’ve done really well with the budget to achieve all you have, including a second floor and laundry/shower room. Really like the interior style combination of old and modern with a hint of Egyptian and the colour schemes really add vibrance. The study room is definitely a favourite overlooking the beautiful view of the ocean.

Suggestions: While the outdoor area is very well designed, I find all the blue plants a little too much. I would have combined these with white plants perhaps to break up the blue and add contrast and more interest.

@ciane

Eco Echo is a wonderful architectural design, very unique with interesting wall structures and columns positioned perfectly. Love the first floor balcony, ideal for fresh air and relaxing. Good to see the minimal landscaping which reflects the modern style very well. The interior layout, ground floor being open plan, provides spaciousness and therefore great gameplay. Good sized bedrooms and I love the bathroom ‘nestled’ between the bedrooms, very cosy.

@suzses

Riverview Haven is a beautiful name for a gorgeous build. This cottage style home has a very attractive appearance with the shuttered windows, great choice of wall textures, picket fencing and stunning landscaping. Excellent choice of plants, all positioned very well. Great play area and wonderful to see the fence placed there for safety. Fantastic interior layout, each room being comfortable, light and airy, the gorgeous colour combination providing a fresh and clean atmosphere.

Suggestions: The only suggestion I can make with this wonderful build is where the terrain paint at the rear door stops sharp. I would soften this by fading or edging with potted plants for example.

@noisybrain

Charming Affordability certainly lives up to it’s name! Gorgeous external appearance with a good choice of wall textures which contrast beautifully with the colours of the doors, windows, columns and fencing. Very attractive planting which really enhances the build and adds to the attractive appearance. The open plan concept of the ground floor works really well providing an air of spaciousness. The cool and fresh colour scheme looks gorgeous and your choice of furnishings look very comfy. I see you managed a laundry room within the budget! I think my favourite room has got to be the cute and adorable nursery.

Suggestions: I would suggest adding a fence or some other means of privacy at the rear where the play area is, it would provide better safety for the toddler.

Optional Challenge: You have interpreted these characters so well with your creations of Sean and Maggie. I love the fact Sean is a family oriented angler who likes to read, garden and fix things, very handy! Adorable Maggie, being an outdoors type, will love her play area and being a genius is wonderful. Your pics really show them both enjoying their new home.

@KaytayRoall

Coastal Cabin Starter has a gorgeous appearance, a wonderful unique structure with lots of interest. I love your combination of exterior wall finishes combined with the great contrasting fencing and fenestration. The wraparound porch is perfect for outdoor relaxation and/or activities and the pergola is a beautiful area for a bbq. Gorgeous landscaping with a great choice of plants using different heights and complementary colours. Really like the open plan layout on the ground floor which provides space and modernity to this area. Absolutely love the nursery, very cute and adorable.

Suggestions: I believe the interiors would benefit greatly by the addition of curtains which would really add to the cosiness and comfort of the rooms.

@Kgaff

On The River is a truly beautiful design with a fantastic choice of exterior wall finishes. Excellent thinking to build this new house on stilts, no risk of flooding here! Wonderful use of terrain paint and beautiful planting, all adding to the attractiveness. I love the outdoor area at the side/rear which is fenced off wonderfully. Lovely open plan concept on the ground floor and it’s lovely to see you’ve provided a laundry area and also a play area for Maggie. Absolutely love the master bedroom, this has a real fisherman’s feel with your choice of decor and colour scheme.

Suggestions: I would replace the striped walls in the nursery with a more soothing tone, just to add a calmness to the room.

Optional Challenge: Great creations of Sean and Maggie, you have shown them to be really happy together and enjoying their beautiful new home.

The Winner of this Challenge is ....

@suzses

Second place goes to ....

@Kgaff

The Winner of the Optional Challenge is ....

@noisybrain

GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    ADVANCED RESULTS FOR CHALLENGE #175 - A RIVER VIEW

@mederouin

Wow, Little Lighthouse is a real beauty, a gem perfectly positioned along the coast. Excellent architecture with the best combination of wall textures, all complimenting each other and contrasting beautifully. Good to see you’ve created coastal landscaping with your choice of plants, picket fencing and great use of terrain paint. Maggie will love playing in her sandpit! Wonderful interior design with a very well planned layout, I love how you’ve tucked the washing machine in between the crates. The rustic style carries on from room to room, all with a coastal touch and looking very cosy and homely. Really like the bedrooms, the crown on the shelf of the main room is a lovely quirky touch and Maggie’s room is pink yet full of earthy tones.

Suggestions: Very difficult to find anything to criticise in this fantastic build as it’s all built very much to perfection. However, I think the mirror by the dining area looks a little too large and ostentatious for the overall style of the lighthouse and I probably would have toned this down a little.

@aricarai

Egan Bungalow is a beautiful build, the brick wall texture contrasts wonderfully with the fenestration and roofing and the plants at the front really enhance the facade. Great idea to keep the build on one level with a toddler around and the interior layout is designed very well, the open plan concept gives a roomy and spacious feel. This area has a homely and eclectic feel and I love how you’ve designed the wall coverings here. All the rooms are well furnished with just the right amount of clutter to give that ‘lived in’ touch. Maggie will love her sunny yellow room with the butterfly decoration on the wall.

Suggestions: I would suggest adding a border of planting at the side of the carport in order to finish the edges off and add more colour.

Optional Challenge: Your creations of Sean and Maggie are absolutely beautiful, they really look very happy together and you have portrayed Sean as a doting Dad. They clearly love their new home, great work.

The Winner of this Challenge is ....

@mederouin

The Winner of the Optional Challenge is ....

@aricarai

GArBA5W.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top