Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited April 2016
    Super bummed I didn't get to do a story for this month! :( But I did just submit a last minute submission for the screenshot challenge, so yay for that! :lol: (And even if I don't win, I totally might use my screenshots for something else in the future :tongue:)

Excited to read everyone else's submissions and vote this month! :smiley:
    snvAF3B.png
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    I have already started my read-binge. ^_^ Always my favorite part!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Okay -1 hour and 15 minutes left. I have a story, I have screenshots. Now to put them together and edit.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    I think @ra3rei is trying to pull a @sabreene this month!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
    Did it! 16 minutes to spare. (just like @sabreene )

The Lighthouse
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    Sorry guys. There will be a short delay in announcing April's theme. I'll go ahead and say that I'm planning to use some of the pictures that were submitted this month. My internet is out right now thanks to storms, so I'm on my phone. But I should be able to finalize the entry list for March and everything in the morning.

Also today was my mom's birthday and it was her first one since she lost her mom, I was busy today with birthday stuff for her. Nearly forgot about the end of the month stuff here completely. I would have felt so bad. But I'll get us back on schedule tomorrow.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
    Sorry guys. There will be a short delay in announcing April's theme. I'll go ahead and say that I'm planning to use some of the pictures that were submitted this month. My internet is out right now thanks to storms, so I'm on my phone. But I should be able to finalize the entry list for March and everything in the morning.

Also today was my mom's birthday and it was her first one since she lost her mom, I was busy today with birthday stuff for her. Nearly forgot about the end of the month stuff here completely. I would have felt so bad. But I'll get us back on schedule tomorrow.

*Hugs!*
  • Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member
    edited April 2016

*Hugs* It's ok! We're happy to wait 24 hours! :) Have fun with the birthday preparations.
    EkpFDaf.png
    Stories: Looking For Mum's Murderer | The Bachelorette | Fifteen
  • Zita1966zZita1966z Posts: 9,641 Member
    Hey guys

Shot story YESTERDAY by @VIRTUALEE has been published in the 1st issue of LA Gazette (re-launch)
    I love to support all these stories and if any one is interested to have their short stories published in the Gazette's short story section, feel free to pm your stories to me :)

GAZETTE
    Thanks for understanding, everyone. And as always thanks to everyone who participated this month. I can't wait to read all the stories. I've updated the list with all the submissions.

And I wanted to let @TheSingingSimmer that I think your single non-sims picture should count. So I did indeed add yours to the main list not the "For Fun" category.

For anyone new-ish to the thread, we did have a discussion about this a long time ago. The rule was meant to be at least one sims screenshot needs to be included since this challenge is meant to be for Sims short stories. But I checked the rules on the front page and it doesn't specifically say that. (I'll clarify that now, so in the future everyone will know they need a sims screenshot in their story). But I can't fault TheSingingSimmer for that especially when I wasn't here to clarify when the question was asked a couple of days ago. I think that's only fair. :)

Now that that explanation is taken care of... I'm off to write up the theme/rules for April and finish all the other end/beginning of month stuff that needs to be done. :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
    edited April 2016
    March 2016 Submissions

March's Theme: "I knew I had to find it before..."

This month is simple. Each story must begin with that as the first line (You may change "I" to "he/she/they".). Where it goes from there is completely up to you.

Special Rules: No special rules this month. The usual 1500 word limit and 12 screenshot limit are in place.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Submissions:
    Yesterday by @VIRTUALEE
    Until I Find It by @CeltyGirly
    The One I'll Never Know by @Pegasus143
    Fake It by @CathyTea (1st Place)
    "Everything Grows" by @cully_c (2nd Place)
    The One Ring by @Trick (1st Place)
    Starting Over by @SilentWolf101
    March 2016: "Eyeliner" by @InfraGreen
    Sofia and the Mystery of the Misplaced Melacoo: Rise of the Elements!by @Spottydog714
    The Writer's Lament by @mastressalita (3rd Place)
    Relief by @TheSingingSimmer (1st Place)
    The Lighthouse by @ra3rei
    Post edited by Carewren123 on
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    Thank you so much! I've been working on this story since the 1st and I'm happy it counted!
    (GRRR. This is the second time I've typed all this up. I accidentally deleted it and couldn't get it back. And that's why I normally type this up in a word document first. Oh well. Moving on.)

April's Theme: Choose Your Screenshots

So I didn't know exactly what to call this month, but I doubt any of you are surprised by what the challenge will be for April. Last month you all had the chance to send me screenshot for potential use in a future month. Well, that month is this month. Seemed sort of fitting for this month and April Fools day, since this will be pretty different from all the other theme's we've done.

I chose two sets of screenshots. I'll keep the names of who they came from secret (for now), because I thought you might all have fun guessing where they came from.

You must pick from the two sets of screenshots below. You'll use whichever set you pick in your story this month. You must use all of the photos in that set and no other photos. But you can put them in any order you wish. So pick your pics, and let the creativity roll.

Special Rules: Since this month might be a little more difficult than normal I decided to give you 500 extra words. You may use up to 2000 words.
    Screenshot Set 1:
    1788546_orig.png
    6877211_orig.png
    5345653_orig.png
    9210550_orig.png
    8869309_orig.png
    4239003_orig.png
    3433036_orig.png
    4834448_orig.png

Screenshot Set 2:
    2164301_orig.png
    470301_orig.png
    9287382_orig.png
    9999704_orig.png
    5889409_orig.png
    1791363_orig.png
    5927083_orig.png
    2208848_orig.png
    4304150_orig.png
    2616482_orig.png
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Okay. I hope I included everything I meant to include in the directions for this month. I'll have to update the front page, and post March's poll later. I'll be busy for a large chuck of the day today. Hopefully you all don't mind the delay in the poll. I plan on ending it at about the same time as normal. Everyone can still be reading the submissions, you just won't be able to cast your votes for another 10 hours or so. Sorry again.

And if you have any questions about April, just let me know. I had to rush a little typing that up, so if anything is confusing let me know. :)

Oh and thanks to everyone who submitted photos last month!! You guys are all awesome!
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• cully_ccully_c Posts: 655 Member
    Ok. Love the challenge but I'll admit that I looked at the screen shots thought "those are awesome!" Then my mind stopped, my eyes crossed and my brain dribbled out my ears! I have no idea Lol!
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member

Hugs for your mom! <3
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    @Carewren123 I have a question about the screenshot challenge! Wait, actually two :lol:

Question 1 is (this will sound weird) but are we allowed to use any of the pictures more than once? Like, I know we have to use all of them. But what if, for example, we wanted to use the screenshot of the moon twice, to show that it's two nights or something?

And Question 2 is whether we are allowed to edit the screenshots in any way. Like, could we make them sepia-tone to look like flashback? Or really bright to look like a dream, etc?

Thanks! :)
    snvAF3B.png
    @Carewren123 I have a question about the screenshot challenge! Wait, actually two :lol:

Question 1 is (this will sound weird) but are we allowed to use any of the pictures more than once? Like, I know we have to use all of them. But what if, for example, we wanted to use the screenshot of the moon twice, to show that it's two nights or something?

And Question 2 is whether we are allowed to edit the screenshots in any way. Like, could we make them sepia-tone to look like flashback? Or really bright to look like a dream, etc?

Thanks! :)

Both of those sound reasonable to me. As long as no one edits the pictures so much that they look completely differently. By that I mean cropping them to only shot a portion of the pic or something. A filter I think is fine.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Voting is now open.

http://carewren123.polldaddy.com/s/march-2016-short-story-vote

As always pick a different story for each place.

Poll will close on the night of the 4th at midnight Central US time.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    @Carewren123 Is it ok if we edit out the plumbobs in Photoshop?
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    Hehe, I still stand with the other way of voting, by counting up the most votes for stories... This one was a hard vote, but I did it. :)
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • WinteryGarnetWinteryGarnet Posts: 2,320 Member
    Ahhh! I just read through all of the stories I haven't read yet and I've narrowed it down to my top four. -_-

I made the decision :3 Now to start thinking about April....
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Oh dear! I keep missing these challenges. I totally intend to write something and the month slips away from me. I am such a lurker here so apologies. I enjoy reading all your stories, but I have yet to actually participate. I wasn't sure if I'm allowed to vote even if I don't submit. I'll wait to see what April's challenge will be before I make my final decision to commit to actually doing one this month (since I'm swamped with grad school and my sister's wedding plans this month). Someday... I will do the challenge.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @AdamsEve1231 Anyone can vote on the challenges! :blush: I vote every month, even though I don't always participate. :) And @Carewren123 actually announced the April theme yesterday. It's a special challenge where you choose one of two sets of screenshots, then write a story around them :)
    snvAF3B.png