Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- The Sims 4 help, troubleshooting & BUG Thread -

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Hi @IchigoUsagi @BluebellFlora

If you do have an Nvidia card I would first suggest upgrading your video card drivers from NVidia and seeing if that corrects the problem:

For OSX 10.11.1 : http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/93555/en-us
    For OSX 10.11.2 : http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/96651/en-us

Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,
    SGMS

Thanks @SimGuruModSquad

This update through NVIDIA is unprecedented on iMacs and 15" MacBook Pros as all driver updates come from Apple. I notice that this is aimed at Mac Pro users who can upgrade their cards, all other Macs mentioned are beta support so there may be issues. How compatible is this update on the mentioned iMacs and MacBook Pros? Have you guys tested it?

My worry is that if people update and it causes an issue they will have to go through the hassle of reinstalling their OS just to get the compatible Apple drivers back.

If anyone tries this PLEASE post here with your experience. It will really help others. I'll try it out tonight but my MacBook Pro has an NVIDIA card that isn't affected so I won't be any help for those with affected cards I'm afraid.
    apple-signature.png
    edited March 2016
    Oh I see, clearing the NVRAM (PRAM) will revert back to the Apple driver. Nifty. But annoying if you have to reset your NVRAM at some point in the future as you'll have to update the driver again.
    apple-signature.png
    edited March 2016
    @SimGuruModSquad

Sadly not compatible on the current version of OS X 10.11.3:

nvidia-driver-update.png
    Post edited by BluebellFlora on
    apple-signature.png
  • SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    Hi @BluebellFlora

Here is one the should work with 10.11.3: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/99119/en-us

These drivers should also install the NVIDIA Driver Manager which will download new drivers when available or let you revert back to the OS drivers. We have tested on Macbooks, but not iMacs - so not extensively tested here but they do at fix at least one driver crash we have encountered.

I know it's not super common for Mac users to update their drivers manually so definitely interested in your feedback and community feedback on how well the NVIDIA app works for you guys.

-SGMS
    Hi @BluebellFlora

Here is one the should work with 10.11.3: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/99119/en-us

These drivers should also install the NVIDIA Driver Manager which will download new drivers when available or let you revert back to the OS drivers. We have tested on Macbooks, but not iMacs - so not extensively tested here but they do at fix at least one driver crash we have encountered.

I know it's not super common for Mac users to update their drivers manually so definitely interested in your feedback and community feedback on how well the NVIDIA app works for you guys.

-SGMS

Thanks @SimGuruModSquad :)

10.11.4 came out today. Haven't yet updated to it though so I'll give this a go.

apple-signature.png
    Nice to see NVIDIA are up to date. Here's the update for 10.11.4 - http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/100850/en-uk
    apple-signature.png
  • IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member
    @BluebellFlora Would that update help fix the crashing problems in the sims? (I've been using a separate drive but it's a bit of a hassle)
    @BluebellFlora Would that update help fix the crashing problems in the sims? (I've been using a separate drive but it's a bit of a hassle)

There's a chance that it might, yes. Remind me what Mac you have? You must understand that it's not normal practice to upgrade through NVIDIA so doing so is at your own risk. I've written a guide on how to do it here but ultimately it's your decision.
    apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora I have a Macbook pro.

There are many different types of MacBook Pro, all with different specs. I found your previous post on here, is this the Mac you are referring to:

OS X El Capitan
    Version 10.11.1

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
    Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Startup Disk Macintosh HD
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Where I told you it also has an NVIDIA graphics too? I'm 99% certain it does but please double check before even thinking of upgrading the NVIDIA driver manually. Even then, you need to understand the risks involved.
    apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora That is the one, but if it's really that dangerous I guess I'll keep using my separate hard drive. :)
    @BluebellFlora That is the one, but if it's really that dangerous I guess I'll keep using my separate hard drive. :)

It's not necessarily dangerous, it's not normal practice so if you do it, you do so at your own risk. All updates come from Apple so to download it from NVIDIA is unusual.
    apple-signature.png
    So, I've been playing on the hard drive and I started having problems like this again.
    tumblr_o4nufhhdd61uv77vjo1_540.png
    So far the game hasn't crashed, just graphical bugs and some sims sliding from chair to chair. Do you know what might be causing this?
    So, I've been playing on the hard drive and I started having problems like this again.
    tumblr_o4nufhhdd61uv77vjo1_540.png
    So far the game hasn't crashed, just graphical bugs and some sims sliding from chair to chair. Do you know what might be causing this?

Still in Yosemite? No idea. It's graphics related, do you have any Mods/CC that need to be updated since the 22nd March patch?
    apple-signature.png
    @IchigoUsagi

Has this been happening since you installed the latest update on the 22nd?

Are you getting any weird graphics issues with any other apps?
    apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora Yes, this is the first time I've really sat down and played since the update. I don't use many other apps, so I haven't noticed anything else not working properly.
  • jemerefijemerefi Posts: 5 New Member
    I don't know where more to write. I've wasted my time and money. I write to the developers on a weekly basis, but with no luck. I bought my mac on January and the first thing I did was to buy and download Sims 4, so basically my computer the only thing that has is this game. Every time I try to contact EA for this problem they send me to write in the forum, but I'm really 🐸🐸🐸🐸 off about it. Can't play since January, and I've really lost my patience. Just venting here.
  • xxlillywolfxxlillywolf Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi my daughter wants this game but I,m such a thicko I haven't a clue weather to download as there is meant to be issue's so can anyone help me as I got
    OS X EL CAPTAIN
    Version 10.11.3
    MacBook Pro 13 inch 2012
    2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5
    4 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
    HELPPPP
  • KawiiSimmerKawiiSimmer Posts: 1 New Member
    On TS4 it makes me hover over all options, in fullscreen ONLY, when I zoom out, it's okay, but I play w/ full screen..
    Anyone? Please help <:( :'( :'( :( :(
  • dizzydee_kdizzydee_k Posts: 475 Member
    edited May 2016
    I've begun having hangs/crashes when my Sim travels to the Science Lab. Thought it might be mods, but also found this to happen in my test game without mods or CC. I checked in with Activity Monitor and found this: Virtual Memory 2.07 TB. How is this possible? My HD is only 1 TB.
    CiCX7aVUoAAF1C6.jpg
  • dizzydee_kdizzydee_k Posts: 475 Member
    Specs:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac14,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM142.0118.B13
    SMC Version (system): 2.15f7
    Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0fea
    Revision ID: 0x00a2
    ROM Revision: 3782
    Displays:
    iMac:
    Display Type: LCD
    Resolution: 2560 x 1440
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
  • AmazingamphyAmazingamphy Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited May 2016
    For some reason, my UI has become really small all of a sudden. It's been perfectly normal before, but now the UI (Options in the corner, portrait panel, etc.) are tiny. Does this have to do with resolution?

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)
    Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

I think the problem may be the resolution, as my UI shrank when I raised it in The Sims 3 too. Could that be the problem?
    EDIT: Tried changing resolution, going into Windowed Mode, resetting graphics to default, nothing happened.
    HmypxT0.png
    Gone from this place and never coming back. P5 is good
    Go into Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 and drag the Options.ini file to the trash.
    apple-signature.png
  • AmazingamphyAmazingamphy Posts: 1,733 Member
    @BluebellFlora Thanks for the fast response! I had to fix my settings (except for aging, strangely) but now my UI is fine! :smile:
    HmypxT0.png
    Gone from this place and never coming back. P5 is good