Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    Hi everyone!

In regards to changing the tense and changing the word "it" in this month's theme, I think everyone should stick as close as possible to the original. We've already let people change the "I" if they want to. I think the rest of it is pretty doable already. I believe everyone can make it work. Even if it's not structured in everyone's usual style, trying to figure out how to use it is part of the fun, right?

@cully_c if you want to message someone to read over the beginning of your story to see if the tense makes sense I volunteer, or you can pick whoever you feel most comfortable with. From what you described though I think the tense of the opener sentence would work.

These three were my tie... I struggled to pick between these three... XD Also, I love the banner!!!!!

I think that the next vote should be organized something like this:
    Vote For Your Three Favorite Stories:
    Story 1: (list of options)
    Story 2: (list of options)
    Story 3: (list of options)

The the one with the most votes is the winner. But, that's just my thinking... Then, people don't have to pick which story goes into which place.

I'm open to changes if there's a popular interest in it. Is this something you all would want to change?
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    I just realized I never posted my superlatives that I wrote...

@ValoisFulcanelli Ad Vitam Aeternam - Most devious protagonist. This had me wondering how much of Athanase is in Valois.

@CathyTea Apple Pie - Most relatable. This is how I spend my Valentine's day, with friends doing what I want.

@chealsycat Beary Love - Best screenshot pairing. Honestly 'your' face paired with the game screenshots. They were a hoot!

@CeltyGirly The Best Mistake - Most tragic love. I didn't expect this to go where it did and am so glad it went there.

@InfraGreen Desert Rose - Best Use of Tea or Best Inter-generational Friendship. I loved their relationship, they were both in similar places but at wildy different times in their lives which magnified the differences.

@mastressalita For the Love of Furbabies - My likely to be in my future. This happened to my mom and my sister. I've yet to have that experience, but unlike many other types of love and loss. This will happen to me. Especially as I just adopted two cats on Sunday.

@MedleyMisty List of Love - Most types of love in a single story. This really captured the multitudes of love and completely embodied the life of a 12 year old girl.

@VIRTUALEE My Girl - Best Twist. I had to read it twice to get the full effect. It reads totally different the second time around.

@TheSingingSimmer Only Fools Rush In - Most powerful character. I love how her meeting Elliot changed her so much and how she experienced life. Sometimes a tiny meeting echoes in ways we never expect. Elliot has no idea how much power he has.

@Twiggy Pixelated Love - Most related to others. Half my friends met during online gaming and so this felt very familiar to me. I kept trying to place the games as well!

@SilentWolf101 Song of life - Best Life Story. Sometimes what makes you you is what you do and when you lose it, you lose your identity, your life. This is a theme I love exploring.

@sabreene Theft, Lies, and Pasties - Best characterization. Both Maeve and Lucy feel completely beliable and fully acutalized characters. Worse grammar - the title has a terrible lack of oxford comma (haha, sorry!)

@lovesstorms A Twins Love - Best Revenge Story - love for revenge and a twisted love. I love the grim's world you put here.

@CitizenErased14 What you wish for - Best Alternate Universe. So good to see the "what would have..." if something like the wishing well existed sooner.

@Pegasus143 Words never heard - Most diverse protagonist. Deaf and gay! I always like reading about

@whitewaveldc You Were Never Enough - Most comforting ending. I was really comforted by my reading of the ending: that she left him, and returned to her home in Italy where she could be herself and be happy.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • WinteryGarnetWinteryGarnet Posts: 2,320 Member
    @ra3rei
    Muahaha! Most Tragic Love >:D
    I like writing sad stuff so that made me happy XD
  • Spottydog714Spottydog714 Posts: 2,518 Member
    @ra3rei Did you realize you mistook me for MedlyMisty? :D Hehehe no big deal =) The title is confusing, I know!
    EkpFDaf.png
    Stories: Looking For Mum's Murderer | The Bachelorette | Fifteen
  • chealsycatchealsycat Posts: 2,974 Member
    chealsycat wrote: »
    Hello everyone! :)*waves*
    Have a great weekend!
    Happy Simming and writing!

*Jumps up and down and waves wildly*
    Very busy weekend and should be probably be writing, but noo, let's go and read September's entries instead for the readathon! Hope you're all doing well! :D

x7eikekl9n3e.gif
  • SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    Hi everyone!

In regards to changing the tense and changing the word "it" in this month's theme, I think everyone should stick as close as possible to the original. We've already let people change the "I" if they want to. I think the rest of it is pretty doable already. I believe everyone can make it work. Even if it's not structured in everyone's usual style, trying to figure out how to use it is part of the fun, right?

@cully_c if you want to message someone to read over the beginning of your story to see if the tense makes sense I volunteer, or you can pick whoever you feel most comfortable with. From what you described though I think the tense of the opener sentence would work.

These three were my tie... I struggled to pick between these three... XD Also, I love the banner!!!!!

I think that the next vote should be organized something like this:
    Vote For Your Three Favorite Stories:
    Story 1: (list of options)
    Story 2: (list of options)
    Story 3: (list of options)

The the one with the most votes is the winner. But, that's just my thinking... Then, people don't have to pick which story goes into which place.

I'm open to changes if there's a popular interest in it. Is this something you all would want to change?

Well, it was my idea, so I think that states my point...
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    @Carewren123 My short story entry is ready: The One I'll Never Know
  • cully_ccully_c Posts: 655 Member
    OK. I need to slow down. Just been typing away, quite the thing and randomly checked the word count.. 1498. ermmm....Editor, I need an editor here! :D
    edited March 2016
    Woah! My story suddenly got all deep and meaningful! :o Where'd that come from!?

But on a side note ol' Dalton is rocking this role! LOL!
    edited March 2016
    It's sitting there, but it's not right...just not right...grrrr :#

Especially after reading the entries already in, I need to up my game! Lol
    @cully_c
    Don't doubt yourself just based on what other people have done. If you want to change it because you're dissatisfied go for it but remember that comparison truly is the thief of joy. :)
    @CeltyGirly LOL. Yeah I know. :smile: I'm happy with my concept, just trying to grapple with the 'slap in the face' 'woah' ending! :D The story completely changed angle as I was writing it, which I've loved, my characters basically said "ehhh no, we are going this way with this". But it's meant, thanks to them, I've not got an ending! Grrrr...Sims ;)
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Where did this month go?! I thought this month was suposed to be longer than February! I have my idea, just need to write the dang thing now.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    ra3rei wrote: »
    Where did this month go?! I thought this month was suposed to be longer than February! I have my idea, just need to write the dang thing now.

Same boat! And I am just about to step into the Month Of the Busy!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    This month is really flying by for me, too. I definitely can't do a short story. I just started getting pictures last night, but I have NO PLAN. lol None at all, so it may not happen either. It seems the warmer it gets, the busier it gets. :/
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    I've got an idea, I started writing it, but... It's a struggle. This is just not my month. XD But, I still want to try to enter this month! So, I'm going to try. :)
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
    Got my entry done... Fake It

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    @CathyTea
    I really really really loved that.

This month I'm trying to read as they're posted so I'm not pressured to read a bunch at the end.
  • TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    I just need pictures and I'm on vacation right now trying to edit my story below the word limit.
    CeltyGirly wrote: »
    @CathyTea
    I really really really loved that.

This month I'm trying to read as they're posted so I'm not pressured to read a bunch at the end.

Thanks! I find that when we all start with the same sentence, I've got to wait until after I write mine to write the others--otherwise, I just get confused!

It's great, though, because it spurs me on to get mine done: now I can read! :)

• chealsycatchealsycat Posts: 2,974 Member
    Hello everyone!
    I've read all the entries so far and I love them! <3
    Have a great weekend!
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    Hi guys. Just popping in to say hey. I've updated the entry list on the front page. And I've received about four submissions for the screenshot thing this month. There's still plenty of time so anyone still wanting to enter go for it. And if you don't have time to participate this month don't worry there's always next month's challenge. :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
    It's almost the end of the month... I await the flood gates opening and the short stories to come rushing in.
    *leans back and sips metaphorical tea because tea is AWFUL*