Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• Options
    Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member
    I'm gonna ping this back up.

Can I only join the current challenge?
  • Options
    BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    I'm gonna ping this back up.

Can I only join the current challenge?

The current challenge (#174 Phoenix Rising) is the only one that will be judged. You are welcome to play past challenges for fun, but they will not be judged as the deadline has already passed. If you build from an expired challenge, feel free to post pictures here. We'd love to see what you come up with! Happy Simming!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I've finished playing Tess and am about to start building. Am I allowed to move the lot elsewhere in the same town?
  • Options
    aricarai wrote: »
    I've finished playing Tess and am about to start building. Am I allowed to move the lot elsewhere in the same town?

Yes, any 10x10 lot in the world of your choice (excluding WA and University worlds).
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    I am still working on the actual slideshow commentary, but I have updated the link to the slide show and property in my entry for anyone interested in looking at it :D
  • Options
    ATTENTION ADVANCED ENTRANTS FOR CHALLENGE #173 SEARCHING FOR HYGGE:
    your results can be viewed here.

Intermediates are coming. Thanks for your patience!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    ATTENTION INTERMEDIATE ENTRANTS FOR CHALLENGE #173 SEARCHING FOR HYGGE:
    your results can be viewed here.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM: Phoenix Rising - Challenge # 174

NAME: aricarai

LINK TO LOT: Edith Cottage

f420af7a-d243-4d36-b903-c2ea08591d05_zpstoyvlku1.jpg

LINK TO MEDIA: Photos Here

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: Homeless to Happiness

LEVEL: Advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 10x10, Sunlit Tides (no fixed address), §56,424

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: A quaint cottage featuring 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom. This micro mini is perfect for an artsy Sim that wants luxury comforts in a small space. Decorated throughout with distressed wood patterns, little knick-knacks, and tranquil colors, the cottage features a space dedicated to painting, a laundry room, cozy front room - and what cottage would be complete without an outdoor shower. Playtested and upgraded by the Quartet. CC free by aricarai

Tess had saved up §87,731 to put toward her new dream home. Though she is frual, she wanted all the comforts in her very own home. Tess wanted a cosy little cottage, but didn't want to have to sacrifice style - so she chose a Hamptons style exterior that she absolutely loved. She collected most of the drift wood from the beach and distressed it herself, not caring that everything didn't match. This was her own personal style. She loved decorating with little knick-knacks and Sim-made photographs. Although the kitchen was small, it was functional, everything upgraded. The front room was cosy, with a fireplace in the corner, small television and a plush comfy sofa. Tess envisioned taking naps and sinking back into the soft fabric. The art room, she spared no expense - extra floor to ceiling windows at the back to let in light, an easel, and drafting table for her art. She even purchased the most expensive camera to increase her photography skill.

Upstairs, the distressed wood look continued and flowed throughout. The bedroom was tranquil and comforting, a place where Tess could really relax. The laundry room, though small served its purpose and didn't lack style either. In the bathroom, Tess wanted luxury as she had spent so much time showering in the park.

The only other luxury, Tess afforded herself was the outdoor shower just inside the fence. Perfect location for when she returned from the beach or it was particularly warm after painting inside all day.

Tess loved her new little home and she couldn't wait to start her new adventures there.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    Post edited by aricarai on
  • Options
    What time does the challenge end on Monday? I'm sorting through all my photos to do the optional challenge but apart from the next couple hours, I won't be able to get back to it until Monday after work.
  • Options
    What time does the challenge end on Monday? I'm sorting through all my photos to do the optional challenge but apart from the next couple hours, I won't be able to get back to it until Monday after work.

Midnight, Central Standard Time. Hope you have enough time!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options

Midnight, Central Standard Time. Hope you have enough time!

All finished! :)
  • Options
    paneingerpaneinger Posts: 214 Member
    edited February 2016
    Screenshot-364_zpsiuvhngvl.jpg

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM BNS 174

NAME: paneinger

LINK TO LOT: n/a

LINK TO MEDIA: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/879574/paneingers-builds-and-things

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: included in the above link

LEVEL: advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 10x10; no address. final cost was just around 100k. I'll have to load up the game again and see the exact number.

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: I went kind of modern since it had to be a small, tall house - and I never do modern-y type builds. I ended up having her live around town for the 40 days and spent most of the time painting, gardening, and making nectar. My first purchase was a tablet so she could learn other skills while painting and she reached level 10 in gardening, nectar making, and handliness while she painted (yay for the level 10 handliness discount on build stuff!) I've actually been building a world and she essentially lived in the school building for like, 30 of the 40 days. She slept in the bed in the nurses office, showered in the restrooms, cooked in the culinary classroom, painted in the art room, and used the school's garden to harvest plants to turn into nectar. I ended up with just under $105k at the end of the challenge (205k if you count the cash from the genie's lamp she found...). In the pictures, she's adopted a pet, Captain Cookies McWaffles, and he likes to chill on the couch and watch tv. She also found a townie friend who hangs out sometimes.

Her house has five levels. The main floor is actually the second floor and has the kitchen, living, and dining areas. Go down one level and you're in her studio/office with a full bathroom. The basement is mostly unfinished and holds a laundry area. Upstairs, her bedroom and another full bath take up the third story. Finally, she has a fantastic rooftop balcony with plenty of room to lounge, a sauna, and another easel to paint scenery.

I used lots of dark woods and black surfaces with navy walls and pops of colors. Lots of flowers and comfy textures with plush rugs to soften the floors. My builds are usually lots of white surfaces and bright vibrant colors, but this has a lot of soft and muted colors. I like the result :)

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes please :)

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: all of it...
    Post edited by paneinger on
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited March 2016
    Screenshot-124.jpg

Tess's Tiny Treasure

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM: Phoenix Rising - Challenge # 174

NAME: suzses

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8857957

LINK TO MEDIA: http://s12.photobucket.com/user/suzses/slideshow/Tess/Tess s Tiny Treasure

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/879660/more-tess-bns-challenge-174-phoenix-rising?new=1

(Tess also uploaded as a household both (1) with her house and (2) without her house:
    (1) http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8857958
    (2) http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8857959 .)

LEVEL: Intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 10x10, custom lot placed next to 338 Rue de Sterling in Twinbrook, 28,340 simoleans.

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS:

Upload description: Cozy living on a tiny footprint. This 1-bedroom, 1-bath home is situated on a 10x10 lot. Perfect for a single artist or a couple. The home features a small garden, laundry facilities, and a bonus room in the attic.

Tess has relocated from Bridgeport to Twinbrook, because the cost of living is lower and it's convenient to the university. I decided that, being frugal and about to begin her education, she would not want an extravagant home. Knowing, however, that she's accustomed to the finer things in life, I tried to make it as comfortable and pleasant a space as possible. The main living area is comprised of living, dining, and kitchen areas. Art easels are included both on the first and second floors. The circular stairs take you to the second floor, which has a small laundry area immediately off the stairwell, the bedroom, and a full bath. A ladder by the stairs is your access to the attic, which I set up as somewhat of an office and work-out space.

Outdoors, there are two small vegetable/fruit garden areas, one at the side of the house, and the other around back. The backporch has a grill and a handy nook for the garbage can that the raccoon can't reach. The upstairs balcony has a lounge chair for catching some sun (is there ever sun in Twinbrook?) or relaxing while reading.

The most challenging part of this challenge for me was trying to take pictures in that itty bitty space, and I really struggled to capture it as it appears in game. I hope I succeeded somewhat. :)

Additional comment: Someone, I think @ciane (I did try to look back), mentioned there are problems with upstairs balconies that extend to the property line, and boy, did I find out that's true! I moved my house from the world where I build to Twinbrook, and the balcony went uphill at an angle! It's been edited not to extend to the edge of the property, but unfortunately, that meant the clothesline had to be moved to the yard where it's no longer so handy to the washing machine.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes :)

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: The lot contains no third-party CC and only a few CAP patterns (not my own, but ones I've frequently used for years). There are two woods, that I think are from ATS but am not certain, and two fabrics that I am unable to identify.

Post edited by suzses on
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    Last day to get those entries in! Happy Leap Day!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Love your little lot @suzses! Sorry you had to find out about those balconies the hard way. I always leave the border tiles alone now.

@paneinger - I love your little balconies too!
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @ciane Thanks for the tip about the balconies. I had already built the house and the balcony before I read your post, but at least I wasn't completely surprised when it did just what you said it would.

Also: added link to my submission above for my story about Tess's year.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    chrischris8894chrischris8894 Posts: 371 Member
    edited March 2016
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM: Build-n-Share #174 - Phoenix Rising

NAME: Chrischris8894

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8858325

LINK TO MEDIA: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14615074/#Comment_14615074

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: After Tess was disowned by her father, she moved to Sunset Valley for a new start. She took up a part-time job working at a cemetery. She figured since she wouldn't actually be handling the bodies, it was a decent job that paid well enough to bring her closer to her dream. After getting a job she searched around town for facilities to use & discovered that the local gym not only had showers, but a kitchen, comfy lounge chairs by the pool & a pretty nice television in the main workout area. Through the year, Tess made extra money collecting & selling produce, honey, rocks & picking through garbage. Although it wasn't her favorite way to earn extra cash, she found herself dumpster diving quite a lot & salvaging treasures that many thought where trash, but to her, was a step closer to the life she'd always dreamed of having. She befriended a lonely widow, Agnes Crumplebottom & they became quite good friends. Sometime Agnes even let Tess spend the night. Tess finally decided that the drawing table she'd been using in the thrift store wasn't efficient enough to make real work, or she finally purchased an easel. On the morning of day forty, Tess had $53,719 to spend on her dream home & start her new life.

Photobucket Password: Tess174
    http://s460.photobucket.com/user/chrischris8894/library/Build-n-Share 174/Tess1?sort=2&page=1
    http://s460.photobucket.com/user/chrischris8894/library/Build-n-Share 174/Tess2?sort=3&page=1
    http://s460.photobucket.com/user/chrischris8894/library/Build-n-Share 174/Tess3?sort=3&page=1
    http://s460.photobucket.com/user/chrischris8894/library/Build-n-Share 174/Tess4?sort=3&page=1
    http://s460.photobucket.com/user/chrischris8894/library/Build-n-Share 174?sort=3&page=1

LEVEL: advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 10x10, custom lot placed in Sunset Valley, $46,181

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Situated right across from Sunset Valley's sunny beach, this tiny modern home features many amenities for an artist just starting out. A bright & colorful palette was used to reflect Tess's young & free-spirited nature as an artist. The conveniently placed washer & the clothesline on the deck retain an efficient use of space, while still being Eco-friendly. By placing solar panels on the roof, it should cut costs for Tess in the long run. The overall design is an eclectic mix of modern industrial & rustic whimsy, while still being friendly to mother earth.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: No custom content used.
    Post edited by chrischris8894 on
    21a63a76613ef59a6ab875e93d138b7c.gif
  • Options
    Challenge #174 is now closed.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    #175 - A River View

“Rose,” you say to your phone, finger on the intercom button. “Would you please block my schedule for Tess Barrett’s housewarming party on the evening of the 8th?”

“Of course,” Rose chirps back. “Also, your ten-o'clock is here.”

“Thank you, Rose. Send him in.” You tuck Ms. Barrett’s handmade watercolor invitation into your latest copy of Architectural Digest, marking an article on flooring trends that has piqued your interest. A dark-haired man enters your office, holding a cherubic little girl in one arm. The flowery diaper bag swung over his shoulder seems incongruous with his stocky build and a strong jaw already darkening with stubble at 10:00 a.m.

“Good morning, Mr. Monaghan,” you say, shaking his one free hand. “And who is this little one?” At your attention, the toddler pops a thumb into her mouth and burrows into her father’s shoulder, one pale aqua eye guardedly watching you beneath strawberry blonde fringe.

“This is Maggie,” Mr. Monaghan replies. He smiles at her, the sadness around his own dark eyes easing a bit. “And please, call me Sean.”

“All right then, Sean, let’s have a seat and discuss how I can help you.” Sean sits across from you, balancing Maggie on his knee and fishing a small, worn stuffed elephant from the diaper bag. Maggie snatches it, eyeing you warily as if you might want to take it from her. “She’s such a beauty,” you say quietly, with a soft smile for the toddler. “She must take after her mum.”

“She does indeed. Looks just like my Colleen did.” The sadness creeps back in around his eyes.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t realize.”

“That’s all right. Colleen passed during childbirth. It’s just been Maggie and me ever since.” Sean stares at his daughter for a moment, then clears his throat and squares his shoulders. “We’ve had a bit of a rough go lately. Did you hear about all of the recent flooding in Riverview?” You nod.

“I read about it in the Sunset Gazette. Terrible situation!”

“Well, unfortunately, our home was one of those affected,” Sean says with a heavy sigh. “The damage is so bad that the house has been condemned.”

“How awful!” you exclaim.

“The real kicker is that our insurance company only gave us $17,500 to rebuild. I don’t know how we’re going to relocate with so little. I was hoping you could work some of your magic for us.”

“Wow, that’s a really tight budget. I’m sure we can figure something out though. What are your absolute must-haves?”

“We really don’t need much. Just a modest house with two bedrooms, a bathroom, a living room, kitchen, and dining space. Laundry would be great, but if it isn’t in the budget, I can keep taking our laundry to Sudsy Time like I’ve been doing. I’d like a little outdoor area for Maggie to play. Maybe a sandbox.”

“That sounds feasible,” you reply, jotting a few things down in your notebook. “Are there any other specifications? Style? Location?”

“I don’t really have a preference on style. I’m a simple man. As for location, I’d like access to water since I catch fish for EverFresh. Just not in a flood plain this time.” Sean gives you a wry look, the corner of his mouth curling into the faintest glimpse of a smile.

“I will start working on plans immediately. I believe we could have something move-in ready within your budget by the end of the month. Does that work for you?”

“It does. The sooner, the better!”

The Brief:

-- Budget $17,500
    -- 20x15 lot, in a world of your choice
    -- Architectural style of your choice
    -- 2 bedrooms, one should be a nursery for Maggie
    -- 1 bath
    -- Kitchen
    -- Living room
    -- Eating space (can be combined with kitchen)
    -- Outdoor play area for Maggie
    -- Optional laundry, if budget allows

Optional Challenge: Make Sean and Maggie, and show them using their new space.

Deadline: Thursday March 31st, 2016, Midnight CST
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    Aw, @suzses I loved your story!
    Nice colorful home @chrischris8894.

LOVE the new challenge. It is a perfect one for me. :smiley:
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    I love all the stories of Tess and her houses are all wonderful! It's amazing how much stuff can actually fit in a 10x10 lot and how much money a single sim can earn without ever having a job.
    I'm looking forward to the next challenge as I enjoy seeing and building smaller lots! Cheers :)
  • Options
    Ooh another small budget and lot. Very challenging - I dig it!
  • Options
    ATTENTION ADVANCED ENTRANTS FOR CHALLENGE #174 PHOENIX RISING:
    your results can be seen here.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited March 2016
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #175 **A River View**

NAME: iampes23

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8866196

LINK TO MEDIA: http://s97.photobucket.com/user/iampes23/slideshow/BnS 175a

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: na

LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x15 placed lot at 40 Sulfur Springs Rd in Aurora Skies, $17,497

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: This home is a small, Victorian-style cottage with two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a room that is currently for storage but can easily be converted to a second bathroom in the future.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes, please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: none used, just recolors
    Post edited by iampes23 on
  • Options
    NAME: ciane
    LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8864724
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://iamciane.wordpress.com/builds/eco-echo/
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: not yet

LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x15 placed lot in Sunset Valley where a club is auto-spawned by the beach, $17,499

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: This lot is placed next to the beach for convenient fishing for Sean, but not too close that he needs to worry about Maggie getting in if left unattended for a minute. The bedrooms and bath are upstairs as well as a really nice-sized balcony perfect for outdoor play. The downstairs offers an open floor plan with counter seating (and a high chair). Free wall and floor coverings, as well as buydebug lights, made this budget build possible. I didn't want to scrimp on the architectural look too much, so I bare bones the furnishings. Sorry, there was not enough money in the budget for laundry (which isn't included in the base game without store content). This is the actual cost without a master builder or depreciation. No cc, no CAP, no spawners, no EPs or SPs.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: no, thank you.
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: no custom content.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top