Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cant connect to the gallery

2...Next

Comments

• GottesfrendeGottesfrende Posts: 47 Member
    Yes, I had more CC than I do currently, and I didn't have a problem connecting to the gallery before. I've actually turned off my firewall, logged in and back out of Origin... still the problem persists.
    I culled my CC and now have around 2083 items. I still can't connect. Interestingly, I have Sims 4 installed on Windows XP under Parallels. I copied over everything that I currently have on the Mac side and was able to log into the gallery on start up, while on the Mac side, I couldn't.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    When the game was launched there was an issue with the number of mods and CC that could be installed. I can't find the thread now (it used to be stickied) but it was fixed in a March 2015 patch:

"Fixed an issue that was preventing the game from launching, and display an “Unable to start, initialization” error if the players save file had lots of custom content installed due to a file handle issue on OSX. This fix should allow you to comfortably have approximately ~1000 pieces of custom content as opposed to 20 which was the case previously."

I don't think it can be related but maybe @SimGuruModSquad knows?
    apple-signature.png
    Update: I am now able to connect to the gallery after spending several days weeding through CC. I have 1,911 items in my mods folder now. One of the things that I did was combine several files of paintings into one package (not combining the packages themselves, but making one package file with about 5-10 paintings a piece from the extracted .dds images). When I attempted to combine packages themselves my game crashed. I also used the TS4 Package Conflict Detector that I found on Mod The Sims that found several CC that had conflicts of one sort or the other. I removed or attempted to fix those. So, while I'm still about 99% sure that the inability to connect to the gallery depends on going over a 2000 CC item threshold; there is the 1% chance that there was some conflicts caused by corrupted CC. I say 1% because most of it I have had for an extended period of time and hadn't encountered a problem connecting. I don't know where I would have been without the ability to run Windows on my Mac! My recommendation for anyone else encountering this issue is to see if you can run Windows under Parallels or Bootcamp (the latter may be a little more cumbersome) and try the TS4 Package Conflict Detector first. Then begin weeding out from there.
    @Gottesfrande

Would you mind if I posted your findings on my website? I will of course give you full credit :)

Have you tried running the Conflict Detector in mono(do a search for mono on the page and you'll see the links)? It was possible to run Custard and the crash log analyser in TS3 through it.
    apple-signature.png
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Another thing to remember is that as new patches are released and new EPs/SPs/GPs are released that CC may conflict with these as well.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    Don't mind in the least if they are helpful. I have not tried running the conflict detector in mono, but will see what that does. One of the things I've encountered that is disturbing is that with the combining of some of the cc "paintings"t that I did into one package; if I go over 2000+ CC then the game crashes. Strangely enough, if I have the single files then it doesn't, but then I can't connect to the gallery still. But If I stay under 2000 CC then everything works as it should. I'm unsure if this is because I have 10-13 CC paintings in one package file or not. But I also tried using just five CC paintings in the package and it still showed this problem. Very odd behavior. I plan on going back through and making sure that the .dds files were saved correctly and repackage them with fewer paintings and see if that finally deals with the crashing problem.
    @Gottesfrande

Would you mind if I posted your findings on my website? I will of course give you full credit :)

Have you tried running the Conflict Detector in mono(do a search for mono on the page and you'll see the links)? It was possible to run Custard and the crash log analyser in TS3 through it.
    @Gottesfrende

Thank you so much :) I don't play with CC so am pretty useless when it comes to CC related issues. I'll copy and paste some of what you've said and also link to here. You've been a huge help :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    This is a problem that was common with Sims 2. If you wanted more color selection in certain Maxis/EA made items, you had to load a ton of CC. Once you reach a certain limit of CC, things stop working in the game. It has nothing to do with coding, it's just the game can't handle all that CC. No amount of patching will solve this problem unfortunately.

Sims 3 eliminated the need for this with the color wheel/pallet.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    This is a problem that was common with Sims 2. If you wanted more color selection in certain Maxis/EA made items, you had to load a ton of CC. Once you reach a certain limit of CC, things stop working in the game. It has nothing to do with coding, it's just the game can't handle all that CC. No amount of patching will solve this problem unfortunately.

Sims 3 eliminated the need for this with the color wheel/pallet.

But that is just the thing... until recently, this was not a problem at all. I had far more CC than I do now and had no problems connecting to the gallery or anything else in the game. This is a recent issue.
    I was finally able to correct the issue where the game would crash with my "fixed" package files if I went over the 2k limit. Somehow I had included a CC picture that was much larger than the base one and didn't catch it, and neither did the Conflict Catcher. I went through each of the package files I created and made sure each of them was as they should be. When I tested the game it didn't crash, but I still couldn't connect to the gallery if I had over 2k CC in the mods folder. But, at least this way I was able to lower the number of actual CC packages while not having to part with too much. Hopefully Maxis will fix this issue soon. I think it first appeared with the newest addition to the game released around Valentines Day.
    All the posts and comments I've seen in relation to this are from people with over 2,000 pieces of CC, you're not the only one. Maybe EA can fix the issue like they did previously? Maybe...
    apple-signature.png
  • SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    edited March 2016
    Hi there! We are aware of the issue where large amounts of CC will cause some Mac users to be unable to connect to the gallery, and are working on a fix.

Thanks,
    SGMS
    apple-signature.png