Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Deleting saved games

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before elsewhere, but I can't find it. I would like to delete some of my saved games but can't seem to find a way to do it. I've looked in the Sims 4 folder. I've tried to figure out if there is a way in the Save Game dialog box to do it. And related to this, I'd also like to be able to rename my games so I can find them more easily when I'm loading a game. Can anyone help? Thank you!

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Use the file icon in the top right of the Main Menu:

ts4-loading-screen.png

To rename, I think you need to play the game and "Save As" under a new name.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    Thank you, @luthienrising ! Now that you've shown me, it seems so simple. I find it annoying, though, that there is no way to name a game as you save it for the first time. If you "save as", it also saves the first version as well (with a name like Saved Game 1).
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    edited February 2016
    I have started using Save As, to guard against serious mishaps in my game, so that I can easily (in game) go back to the previous save. I also ONLY keep three saves from the same family/lot. If you wish to easily delete a game save, go in game, bring up the Save As menu and from there, you can delete them. It will give you a popup asking if you wish to delete it and if you've highlighted the wrong one, you can cancel the action. Currently, my Legacy Challenge game save is simply Legacy-2a, etc. . I'm about to begin Generation 3, so I'll rename the save Legacy-3. The alphabet, just lets me know how many sessions I've played in that particular generation, and so I can easily delete the older ones.

ETA: lutienrising, thanks to this screen shot, which you've used on a different thread, I learned I could click that big arrow in the middle. Previously, I've used the saved games icon above. D'oh. Sometimes I'm such a dork. :p
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    edited February 2016
    StSciurus wrote: »
    Thank you, @luthienrising ! Now that you've shown me, it seems so simple. I find it annoying, though, that there is no way to name a game as you save it for the first time. If you "save as", it also saves the first version as well (with a name like Saved Game 1).

You can rename the save file. To do this, hit 'save as' and then click on the 'Saved Game 1' that you have already saved first earlier and you will be able to type in a name for it. And then you just save as again but make sure to click on the one that you just renamed and it will ask your if you want to overwrite, so click overwrite.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    In case you want to determine which save is which in the saves folder (useful for making back ups and putting them back in game) - here's a tiny tutorial:
    Whenever I back up my saves (which I do regularly):
    • I boot up my game and click the load game button.
    • Then I get a pen and a piece of paper and note down the name of each save and the date and time it was last saved (which is displayed on the right).
      2lne46.jpg
      The date and time of the last time I saved my main save is marked red.
    • Then I exit the game and open my Sims 4 folder and navigate to the saves folder. The autosave (always in slot 1) will get the date and time you last exited the game.
    • Then I compare the dates and times on my paper with the dates and times of save files in there - I usually write down in notepad (you can use word as well) which save is in which slot.
      346q1jq.jpg
    • After that I back up my entire saves folder and put the notepad file in the back up location, so that when I want to place one of the back ups back in my game, I know which slot number is the save I want.

Unless I change slot numbers (which I do from time to time) I can actually use the list from my previous back up and add any new saves I might have. I don't need the date and time in this document because once I know which save is in which slot, date and time become irrelevant.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr