Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimCom: Pebblycat's Corner Archive

PebblycatPebblycat Posts: 861 Member
Pebblycats%20Corner_zpskg1ngr1d.jpg

This is the Archive thread for Pebblycat's Corner which is part of SimCom. Here you will find all the past and present editions from Pebblycat's Corner so you can catch up on anything you missed on the main thread.

Check out the main thread here
My Origin ID: Pebblycat
Visit Pebblycat's Showcase to see what I've created
Post edited by Pebblycat on

Comments

• PebblycatPebblycat Posts: 861 Member
    edited December 2015
    Edition 1
    Simcom%20banner_zpsrvfvqyx1.jpg

2015.12.22%20-%20Edition%201-%20Final%20Corkboard%201860x1050_zpsgiqkrizh.jpg
    edited January 2016
    Edition%202s_zpsfb8dptgl.jpg
    Thank you @Julyvee94 for making a suggestion to the Ideas Board about displaying potions. This suggestion inspired Edition 2: Displaying collections
    2015.12.30%20-%20Edition%202%202000x1308_zpsghpx84cw.jpg

edited February 2016
    Simcom_zpszuxcvhe3.jpg
    Edition 3
    Big Ideas, Tiny Living
    Recently I came upon a YouTube video by TheSimSupply where he creates a functional 4x4 home that has everything a sim needs to live. This made me wonder, do our Sims really need huge homes?
    In both builds there are some really neat space saving Ideas and in the 6x6 home he fits the walk in wardrobe!

TheSimSupplyFinal1_zpsqfl45yoa.jpg

Check out the "6x6 House" video and the "4x4 Home" video
    Links to Builds: 6x6 House and 4x4 Home
    And Finally a big thank you to @crysk for helping me with Photoshop to create the layout for this edition!
    edited April 2016
    Simcom_zpszuxcvhe3.jpg
    Edition4
    High Fashion
    I’ve always been fascinated by the people who create custom content and the people who show them off by modelling their Sims. I came upon @MaggiSimmer's High Fashion Showcase and I think I am in love! The showcase is put together by the modelling community – creating their own look books where they showcase their highly fashionable Sims!
    You can also vote for which Sim goes on the front of the High Fashion Showcase Magazine, so very awesome! You’ll also find all the links to the CC that was used to create the looks if it was used.
    Here are the front covers of the first two issues:

0001-142885399_zps6zs6iwp1.png
    0001-143243867_zpsvjapcfk3.png

And here is the current entries for lookbook #2:It’s a Maxis Match

@Penguinwa101
    vobc3l_zpsrqds2fs1.jpg
    @Kelebek
    2qnb3nl_zpssklzill9.png
    @alexis3142
    2gv33px_zpsqolivgmx.png
    @xJojox
    2iu44sh_zps4ybnr1oe.png
    @Taigoesrawr
    w9txtj_zpsir8qrnlv.png
    @Issabella14
    359ijjo_zps0jiuqofo.jpg
    @Zita1966z
    30hoox1_zpshd9gdaqj.jpg

I hope you feel inspired by these beautiful models to create something from this issue and don’t forget to share it with us here at SimCom!
    Simcom%20layers%20Creations_zpswwkd5bm3.jpg

Tiny charmer is a charming and romantic 6x6 home that you’ll never want to leave. Tiny as it may be, it certainly has everything you need with great space saving ideas that your Sims will love. Mommataurus2 was able to create these space saving ideas by using the Alt key as she moved the objects around to place them exactly where she wanted. One of my favourite areas of the home is the bedroom - Mommataurus2 was able to put so much in there it’s amazing and it’s all usable! I won’t tell you any more as I want you to check it out for yourself! But...I will suggest that you make your way into the beautifully landscaped garden as well!

Momma%20final_zpswavhpyaa.png

Inspired from Ideas Board Edition 3
    Origin ID: Mommataurus2
    Link to gallery: Here
    Price after upload: $54,023
    edited April 2016
    Simcom_zpszuxcvhe3.jpg
    Edition 5 - Garden Crazy: Terrain Paint and Lighting
    Terrain paint is your friend...It costs nothing and is very versatile in the garden. Use it to create garden beds or perhaps a winding garden path. Experiment with all the different textures to find the look you want and if you are having troubles try using multiple textures together but change the softness of your brush.

amie%20-%20final_zpsfdj92jit.png
    Find @Amiejaidenalbie_1988's build here

Lyrassae93-%20final_zpsj6ey0g7r.png
    Find @Lyrasae93's Bluemoon Farmhouse here

If you aren’t restricted by a budget try using the different grass covers you can find in the flower section of build mode. This will cover any blank spots in your garden beds, making them look more luscious. It’s also great for covering up lighting (make sure to check the lights are giving the same brightness at night) and framing objects you may have in the garden. Here is an example with the first image having a flower grass cover and the second two without...

nat_zpsbvda7y5k.png

Have you thought about what your garden looks like at night?

We spend many hours building and decorating our creations to look perfect on the inside and sometimes forget what the outside looks like at night. Relying on just the internal lights going through the window may not complete the look and certainly won’t highlight features in your garden.
    I have used @chips46's home that she decorated from the Practice Challenge thread as an example (with her permission of course :) ). In the first two pictures all the lights have been removed from the front garden with the only lights left being the fountains and lighting from within the house. As you can see it looks quite dark and doesn’t highlight the house or much of the garden.

04-01-16_8-56-30nbspPM_zpsbgkoehfh.png
    04-01-16_8-56-43nbspPM_zpsif896h9p.png

Now here you can see what the house looks like with all the lighting. What a difference it makes!
    As you can see lights were used along the pathway to highlight it along with the garden beds and lamps were placed on the exterior of the build. What you may not have seen was the sneaky lights Chips placed in the roof cavity (you will need to use moo); this is great idea if you are looking to save some space or if you are going for a minimalist look

04-01-16_8-49-15nbspPM_zpsiyc4oxr1.png
    04-01-16_8-48-57nbspPM_zpsmgv7l4iu.png

If you wish to take a look in game you can find Cacti Casa here

More lighting tips...

If you are confident to use moo, why not try and create lighting while taking minimal space? Here I placed the “no fear light lantern” into the American beech tree to make it look like the tree had another branch

04-01-16_5-29-51nbspPM_zpslpx4bjjw.png

Here I placed the “origami Tree Luminaries” within the Hawthorne tree. Sometimes finding the right colour to lamp to match the tree is the hardest part so make sure you like it during the day and at night
    04-01-16_5-47-04nbspPM_zpshe5x3gik.png
    [/center]
    edited May 2016
    Simcom_zpszuxcvhe3.jpg
    Edition 6 - Trying Something New
    I have never used custom content in any of my Sims games... “why???” I hear you all scream... Simple answer is I never had the confidence and I was scared it would break my game.

After looking at and voting in the various modelling competitions over the last few months I decided to give it a shot. I used carls-sims-4-guide to get the basics and I was downloading in no time and so far everything has been working... I am super stoked! I’ve created two looks for you that you will find just below.

The first is something casual to wear in the cooler days as we approach winter here in Melbourne (Australia)

Celine%20winter_zpspeeyawvc.png

I couldn’t resist making a workout outfit. I love all the vibrant colours that are available in real life and hoped I translated it well here on Celine.

Celine%20workout_zpsz0hlpiwm.png

Get the first look:
    Skinny Jeans - by sims2fanbg
    Fascino Sweaters - by Simlark
    Malden Morava Boots - byMJ95
    Micro Leather Shoulder Bag - by SYLD

Get the second look:
    Fluo T-shirt - by Birba32
    Ladies Fitness Leggings - by Saliwa

Both looks use:
    Specimen Eyeshadow - byRemuSirion
    Eyelashes - by Vampire_aninyosaloh
    White Poses Set and Lookbook V.9 - by Flower Chamber

Why is this edition of Pebblycat’s Corner titled “trying something new?”

I invite you all to create either a casual outfit for the cooler weather or something to workout in. It can be in any style, no cc/with cc and of course you can use male as well as female Sims. Take a picture and upload it to the SimCom thread or message me to have it featured in a special Ideas/showcase edition. If you use cc make sure to PM me the links so that I can credit the amazing creators that helped style your look.
    Let's give ourselves two weeks to create our looks so have them posted or pm'd by the 30th of April
    Be creative and try something new!
    edited July 2016
    Simcom_zpszuxcvhe3.jpg
    Edition7 - Mad about horses
    Are you wishing that you could have horses in your game? Dreaming of owning your own horse ranch? Look no further as I have found you the perfect solution...

Horses2_zpsl9fl1g2w.png

These beautiful creatures were created by Sverinka to use as decorations and for poses. You can find them HERE...the site is in Russian but if you scroll down you will find the link to download in English. In game you will find them under the decorations tab.

If your horse loving Sim is ready to ride you can find the poses you need HERE which are created by Dreacia. To use the poses you will need to download Andrew's Pose Player to access them in game.

Here are a couple of teaser poses...

final_zpsyemqrbxe.png

If these beautiful horses inspire you then get creating! Upload a pic to the thread or Gallery using the #SimComIdeas to have it featured in the next edition of the Ideas board!

Simcom%20layers%20Creations_zpswwkd5bm3.jpg

Thank you so much to @lisa17ann and @Cbear13 for participating in the last task "trying something new". Here are their wonderful warm weather and athletic looks.

@lisa17ann - Original post here

winter%20wear.jpg
    workout%20wear.jpg

@Cbear13 - Original post here

Cool%20casual.jpg
    Athletic.jpg

edited July 2016
    Simcom_zpszuxcvhe3.jpg
    Edition 8 -Roof Talk
    Personally I find roofing the hardest and most frustrating thing about building in Sims 4 and would love to have auto roof back. I’m pretty bad at creating roofs and you’ll often hear me cursing endlessly at the computer. Luckily for us there are some talented and kind people who take the time to make tutorials and answer our questions on those pesky roofs.

One of these people is @sawdust who has created a thread over in the Australian forum to help us better understand types of roofs, placement and placement methods as well as roof decorations. With @sawdust’s permission I will be featuring her tutorials here for you all to see! I’ll spread it over a few issues of Pebblycat’s corner but if you have any questions feel free to head on over to the Aussie site* (see note at the end of the post) and check out the thread.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Part 1:
    First we'll talk about pitch ... that's the slope of the roof. In Australia we measure it in degrees. In the picture below the roof on the left is the standard roof in Sims 4 before you alter the height. It looks to me to be 45 degrees. That may be standard in the States or maybe once upon a time but not here and not now. The average roof slope today is between 20 and 30 degrees in Australia. The picture on the right is the average (about 20 degrees) pitch you will find today.

jxogsdto5b2s.png

In real life different factors determine roof pitch, in the Sims 4 it's usually determined by what works best and what look you are trying to achieve. Generally speaking if you are building a contemporary home a pitch of 25 degrees will work well.

The different types of roof in Sims 4 from left to right are gable, hipped, half gable and half hipped. This is the same order as the menu bar in game.

xarfnf8ppfxv.png

You can mix and match the styles to form shed roofs or dutch gables and also to insert clerestory windows.

Most can handle a straight rectangle or square but when it comes to odd shapes how does one approach it? One way to approach your roofing problem is to divide your house into areas according to the overall room shape as in the picture below. As you can see this roughly "Z" shape can be divided into 3 areas as outlined by the 3 coloured rectangles.

5ku66nkffnpy.png

You can then stretch your roof over those areas. What type you use will depend on what look you are after. In the picture below I have used 3 gables pieces with different colours so you can see what I'm talking about. Normally you would most likely use a hipped piece running through the centre or use a hipped roof all round.

iza1wu7kvhgj.png

Once you have all your pieces in place and are happy with the look you can then adjust the height. This is replacing the centre gable with a hipped piece and lowering to about a 30 degree pitch.

Another general approach you can take to roofing is using what I call the "Soldier Boy" method. Basically you start at a corner and imagine a line of soldiers along the side of your roof moving forward as you stretch the roof over the house. When the first soldier falls, that's when you stop stretching.
    On this build we start by placing the roof piece at the back corner, imagine our soldiers lined up and pull the roof forward. In the second picture you can see we have 2 casualties so that is where we stop going forward and now stretch across the build the other way. That will allow us to pull the roof across to the end of the building.

mvlyuilu3aep.png
    jxg5keai3s4g.png

Then we start on the next corner. Pulling forward (which is to the right of the build from the front) then toward the back of the build. Once again imagine your soldiers lined up across the length of the side your pulling.

oekfo2fblhgh.png
    qyo2m0ct4d90.png
    rmw1olsq9v55.png

Now we're left with one last piece of roof at the front. As you can see in the first picture, by the terrified look in the gnomes eyes that I'm hanging over the edge, that we won't be moving sideways at all with this piece. So we will line up our brave boys at the back and stretch the roof that way.

iag76shrbb5x.png
    jnz06h1p90hd.png

What you should end up with looks like this. I've coloured the different pieces so you can see.

8dhy2avg1f64.png

Then it's just a matter of adjusting the height and applying your roof cladding.

i69da9j28oz5.png

**************************************************************************************************************************************
    Stay tuned for part two of Roof Talk!

*If you haven’t visited the Australian forum before you will automatically become a new member so don’t panic! To get member status it’s the same process as the US forums so introduce yourself and write a few posts and you’ll be a member in no time ;)
    Reserved
    Reserved