Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Testing MOO - Updated 10/21/16

Comments

• BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Reposting a workaround that @Kementari kindly provided on our Build Mode Feedback thread for the painting walls issue:
    Kementari wrote: »
    Hey Bry and everyone else :)

I am not sure if someone has already figured this out but I came up with a work around for not having floating objects disappear when painting walls.
    What you need to do is build the wall that you want painted outside of the room you are working on, paint it the way you want (both back and front) then pick it up and place it over the top of the wall you wanted to change. I know its a bit of a PITA but better than having to replace all those floating objects that will disappear if you paint onto the actual wall.

Hope that made sense and if it doesn't I can show you what I mean with images.

Well I went ahead and took some pics to explain better :)

2u9qvwp.jpg

125t106.jpg

2i9h7i1.jpg

59zorn.jpg

oqy6xj.jpg

Unfortunately I still haven't found a work around for if you want to change the shape of the room, or remove walls without the floating objects disappearing yet :(
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    FYI: @rosemow @BryonyRae As of one of the last patches it is not necessary to repair individual EPs / SPs / GPs. Just right click on the Base Game in Origin and choose Repair Game. This will initiate the Repair action on base game and all the owned packs.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,571 Member
    edited August 2015
    FYI: @rosemow @BryonyRae As of one of the last patches it is not necessary to repair individual EPs / SPs / GPs. Just right click on the Base Game in Origin and choose Repair Game. This will initiate the Repair action on base game and all the owned packs.

Hello @EuphorialQueen. :) Thankyou for the post. The repair action on the base game has been repairing each of the owned packs for a while, but sometimes it seems to help the game better when if there is a specific issue connected to a particular pack, if the repair option related to that pack is used. It has just been the case that simmers have found that it helped better.
  • EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello @EuphorialQueen. :) Thankyou for the post. The repair action on the base game has been repairing each of the owned packs for a while, but sometimes it seems to help the game better when if there is a specific issue connected to a particular pack, if the repair option related to that pack is used. It has just been the case that simmers have found that it helped better.
    Ahhh ... I see :) for some reason my game only updated the base game when that was selected until now. I do understand how it helps to repair individual packs. Thank you for clarification. :)
    Unfortunately, the 9/24/15 patch did not address any of our outstanding issues with MOO (bb.moveobjects).
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    No changes to MOO as of the 11/3/15 patch.
    edited December 2015
    Testing Results for 12-4-15 Patch:

New Bugs:
    • Objects elevated within basement spaces (but not within a room) will now drop when placing the lot, just as if you had placed them outside (our original bug).
    • Water emitter f/x are now quite glitchy, depending upon the level and angle from which you are viewing them. Here's a video of the problem.
    • Stove hoods placed on external walls are now dropping to the ground, or even within it. This is a tough one to peg as it doesn't happen on all walls, and I've yet to find a "rule" for it. Here is a video demonstrating the problem.

Fixed Bugs:
    • Sims can now dance while using a stereo that is partially embedded in a wall.
    • Windows MOO'd off wall in the interior no longer have black frames.
    • Sims no longer cook on full counters (counters with décor objects) when counters have been MOO'd with intersecting wall mirrors.
    • On occasion, MOO'd and/or debug objects do not transfer properly; they disappear upon placement from the Gallery. <-- I'm inclined to retire this one as I haven't seen a case of this (other than specific debug items that we know don't transfer) in a long while. If you are still seeing instances of objects not transferring, please provide me with lot name(s).

Needs more testing:
    • Placing a MOO'd lot on a larger size lot can relocate MOO'd objects. (place @Chris2fer03's Griswald Christmas House on a 50x50 lot to see an example). I have also found that this can happen even when placing on the same lot size but a different lot other than where the build was created/saved.

This issue does seem to have been improved; I am not seeing objects shifting across lots anymore. However, while the lights on the roof on the Griswald lot are no longer floating on the edge of the lot like they used to, the vast majority of them have dropped to the floor. See images of this below:

houselights1_zpsz2kyysbg.jpg
    houselights2_zps64rpa7nw.jpg
    houselights3_zpsax9x3kkq.jpg

What are the rest of you seeing when you place builds on larger lots?

Post edited by BryonyRae on
    Besides additional review of placing builds on larger lots, as I mentioned in the post above, I'd also appreciate help in noting if objects are dropping to the floor/ground more when placing lots now. We already know that it's a problem with basement spaces and the stove hoods, but given the lights dropping on the Griswald build as well, and that it's happening within/over rooms, where it hasn't in the past, I wonder if it's become a bigger problem than it used to be...
    I've done additional testing for the stove hood issue, and first, I have to correct how I talked about them as if they were wall objects. The game really treats stove hoods like ceiling lights, not wall objects. That's why lining them up against a wall doesn't really help to prevent them from dropping, although if you embed them far enough in the wall (into an adjacent room), they'll stay up. At any rate, when I originally built Moody Blues, they did not have to be placed inside of a room. I had placed the ones that dropped over a room, and that worked at the time, but it won't work anymore. Now, you must place them within what the game considers a room, or they will drop with one exception. It seems that if you place them over a pool at ground level, they don't drop. If you place them over a pool built at a higher level, they do.

Note that the game treats ceiling lights in the same way from my testing. The two problems with this behavior for these objects are 1) none of them have actually been elevated - they have been placed at their default heights, and 2) they aren't just dropping to the ground - they're dropping within the ground, where it can be tough to see them and/or pick them up.

I would definitely like to see this change reverted, but of course, I would like to see the object dropping come to a halt altogether!
    edited December 2015
    I have a new MOO issue to report, brought to our attention by @sawdust over in the Build Mode Feedback thread. When placing plants near columns (or vice versa) using bb.moveobjects, you must place the columns after placing the plants, or the columns will disappear if the lot is placed with bb.moveobjects turned off.
    edited December 2015
    Another issue to note brought to our attention by @sawdust over on the Build Mode Feedback thread. This time it has to do with using bb.moveobjects to position objects on the edge of foundation. There is a possibility, depending upon the foundation's orientation, for these objects to fall to the ground when placing the lot from the Library/Gallery (regardless of whether bb.moveobjects is on or off). Here is a screen shot, which shows the problem with snowflake objects (but it can apply to any object). Note that the fencing is irrelevant:

droppingsnow_zpsglsbxodx.jpg

I believe that this is sort of a "no man's land" issue, because, if you turn bb.moveobjects off and try to position an object along that edge, the game will tell you "Must be placed on terrain or on the floor." I think what's happening is that when you use MOO in order to go ahead and place stuff there, the game has the potential to fail to recognize it as part of the foundation and thus drop the object down to the ground beneath it. I don't know if it's truly positional on the lot, as it appears to be, or random, that some foundation edges will be recognized and others not. I can understand the idea that we can't place on a foundation edge, but what I don't get is why it works on one side of the foundation but not another. Ideally, we would like to be able to place on all foundation edges (or none of them).
    I know that the devs are already aware of this issue as I reported it at the Creators Camp, but I want to make sure that other builders know about it. If you height elevate the new glass dance floors, they carve out the ground beneath them (even within a room), creating an ugly looking glitch in the floor.

dancefloorelev_zpsjvbx81er.jpg

If you want to elevate a glass floor and work around this glitch, I would advise creating a room on one of the basement levels and elevating it from there.
  • sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    In regards to objects shifting @BryonyRae, I have found that by placing flat decking below the roof object but on top of the room it will stop things shifting when placed on different lots. The fairy house I built (pic below) had the problem of most of the corbels moving when placed on another lot. The first pic shows they are effectively placed on an imaginary side wall. (I had to draw the wall in initially to stop them snapping to the angled wall). In the second pic I have peeled back the roof to show the flat deck covering the area. By doing this It stopped the corbels moving. Now the house can be placed on any lot. It might work with the lights issue as well.

Corbel1_zpsmabjkbmq.png
    Corbel%202_zpsvb3tagcu.png

Also in regards to the foundation edge problem I wonder if this is why we only have columns snap to corners??
  • RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    edited December 2015
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    I know that the devs are already aware of this issue as I reported it at the Creators Camp, but I want to make sure that other builders know about it. If you height elevate the new glass dance floors, they carve out the ground beneath them (even within a room), creating an ugly looking glitch in the floor.

dancefloorelev_zpsjvbx81er.jpg

If you want to elevate a glass floor and work around this glitch, I would advise creating a room on one of the basement levels and elevating it from there.

Haven't bought the EP yet, but what about if you elevated the glass dance floor on a ground/deck above the basement room? Can this create a open ceiling to it? Just being curious and wondering.
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
    @RyeCris16 Ordinarily, if you want to simply create a skylight, you would place the dance floor on the floor of your top level. I happened to want to elevate it instead because I wanted it at a different height (the particular skylight I was creating wasn't over a room), and that's when you have the glitch. If you need to do something similar, then you'd want to elevate it from an unused basement room, because otherwise, you will get the glitch, even on a foundation, inside a room, etc. as the dance floor on the right in the picture shows.
    I could see that helping @sawdust. It seems that the game has gotten even more hung up on stuff being in a "room" over time, and as a platform is considered a room, I could see it providing stability for the objects considered placed within it. That could possibly correct the problem on Chris2fer03's Griswold House, which is the one I always look at to see what's shifting on bigger lots. He did not place those lights within rooms but rather over them, and they do drop now, even on the original size lot. It's a definite change in behavior with objects dropping though, because I have looked at that lot after nearly every patch, and the lights didn't drop before at all. The build looked fine on a 40x30...
    An update on MOO'd objects that disappear when you place a lot with bb.moveobjects turned off. For the most part, this doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to, but I do still see it from time to time and will document it as I come across it. In particular, I just found that the Art Café V2 by ju1ka loses several of its ivy wall décor pieces if placed with bb.moveobjects off.

Here is what it looks like with bb.moveobjects on:
    artcafeshouldbe_zpspmmgasug.jpg

And off:
    artcafeshouldnotbe_zpsxtezos7t.jpg

We would really like to see object positions retained with bb.moveobjects off when a downloader places a lot, so that we don't have to advise them to use the cheat. The cheat should only be required in order to position objects, not to retain their position.
  • JoolsterJoolster Posts: 6,417 Member
    edited December 2015
    Hah, I found this thread from crinrict's big bug thread over at Answers.ea.com and you already have me covered, Bryony. Seems we do indeed need to have MOO on for certain overlapping objects to remain. Case in point, the columns in my latest build:

tumblr_nzv9erB6kC1t0jfq2o1_1280.jpg

Interesting that both my example and your example (of my build :D ) have the GT ivy in it. I wonder if it's the culprit.
    edited December 2015
    No yeah it's definitely the ivy. I just tested my Townhouse Patio room:

tumblr_nzva3q5d4n1t0jfq2o1_1280.jpg

The weird thing is that when the ivy is "freestanding", it doesn't seem to cause any problems because no ivy or nearby objects by the ivy on the fence side are missing. Only the stuff by the wall-mounted ivy.
    Interesting observations @joolster. It certainly looks like something's up with that ivy. I'll do some testing with it when I get a chance.

In the meantime, I've been working on fixing my Chokkaku build. Chokkaku originally looked like this:
    frontextnight1_zps6y5ycxc4.jpg

Post the 12/4/15 patch (it may have happened prior to the patch, but this was the first time I re-checked the build since originally publishing it), some of the lighting and shelves dropped to the bottom of the roof level, seemingly at random.
    chokis_zpshec86gak.jpg

I was able to partially fix the problem by making sure that I had flats covering those top areas of the roof, but I was still getting this in the front:
    chokprob_zpsifxufqgk.jpg

I would have used a basement space to elevate the lights, but the elevation was too high. On a hunch, I placed fountains below the area, and that did it. I think this may again be a case where the game gets confused about objects positioned on edges that are not above a room. Perhaps the fountain counts as a room, and thus prevents the confusion.
    edited January 2016
    A quick note based on some testing today - using pool trims can remove objects, in the same manner as applying wall styles. It is less likely to do so with bb.moveobjects turned off.

Edit: same with half wall trim
    Post edited by BryonyRae on
    For the love of god, I wish they would stop fiddling with things that don't need fixing!

I went to test some old builds in preparations of uploading updated versions and surprise surprise, half the stuff that was previous raised and stayed raised now drops to the ground..

tumblr_o06hid5XKU1t0jfq2o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o06hid5XKU1t0jfq2o2_1280.jpg

-_-
    I feel your pain @Joolster! Had you originally built flats under the planter area or under the sign? If not, that will fix it now. The safe bet now almost seems to be to platform your entire lot. :p
    @BryonyRae I was sure I did, but I checked and there is no floor there (planter) so I must not have, and it worked before. The sign did not have a floor either but I never had issues with raised stuff staying raised above ground floor. Guess that changed too, lol.
  • StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    I understand now, @BryonyRae, when you referred to your windows turning black. I uploaded a house to the gallery today only to discover that in the picture for the build several of the windows had turned black. Sigh. . . Does anyone have trouble with MOOing landscape items? I've mostly used MOO for landscaping and wondered whether that would cause a problem for anyone downloading one of my builds. Thanks.