Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So, I bought this game for my daughter and...

So, I bought this game for my daughter so I had to check it out first.

I got home from work around 5:30pm, popped it in the PC and got'er installed (runs great on Windows 7 btw). After the install I started playing around and made myself. (loner, handy, perfectionist, computer whiz, genius) ((ok, the traits are not a full representation of myself, I'm not handy :) )

Then somehow, I'm not sure how, it was 2AM. There was no warning label on this game about effecting the time/space continuum.

I found myself tinkering and upgrading everything I could get my hands on.(that was tinkerable). Tinkering is fun! (well catching on fire isn't that fun, but you can't have rewards without a little risk).

I didn't see any bugs, it ran really well on my laptop (Inspiron 1720).

Anyway, pretty fun game. I thought it would be more "girly" (for the lack of a better word). I may be playing this quite a bit when my daughter is not at my house.

Comments

• Options
    JKAmaryllisJKAmaryllis Posts: 3,741 Member
    edited June 2009
    Did you play sims 2?
    jz8tDGb.png
    Steam: JKAmaryllis
  • Options
    kalmbachgkalmbachg Posts: 11 New Member
    edited June 2009
    No, I didn't. Was never a simmer.. (unless you count SimCity)
  • Options
    KeigiPlooenKeigiPlooen Posts: 62 New Member
    edited June 2009
    kalmbachg wrote:
    No, I didn't. Was never a simmer.. (unless you count SimCity)

Simcity counts.
  • Options
    SofakingsimSofakingsim Posts: 77 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Glad to see a new person enjoying the game :)

Happy Simming!
  • Options
    BattsknoxBattsknox Posts: 1,133 New Member
    edited June 2009
    ROFL! My first experience was Sims 1 and I loved it on console, and moved to the PC shortly after. Talked my mom up about it, and she went and bought Sims 2 and just did not see the point in controlling little sim lifes and gave it to me a week later. I went out and bought the Sims 2 Holiday edition cuz it was Holiday time and I wanted sims to have Christmas trees and Santa. Well 8-9 years and thousands of simoleons later, I have gotten about 20 friends addicted as well, but never my mom. :?
    Some people enjoy creating, some enjoy storytelling, I happen to enjoy the movie making. But all in general enjoy gameplay overall. The creative outlets this game allows are ALMOST endless, and that in itself becomes addicting!
    Welcome to the world of a simming family, look at it this way, you and your daughter now have something else in common to share, enjoy and talk about! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    SmokaColaSmokaCola Posts: 111 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Glad you enjoyed the game, I was a bit sketchy when the first sims came out. But when I found out I could use photoshop to create my own clothing/faces for sims, I was hooked. From there on I've been making my own content and never really uploaded any but with this I think I might start uploading a few things. People just need to get over the "Wow that looks lame" and actually try the game/software, never know, might end up being a die hard fan.

Oh btw, when the endless amount of modifications/expansions come out you'll really lose hours playing it lol
  • Options
    FreyarFreyar Posts: 25 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I intended to go to sleep at 4 AM.. it is now 7AM. I am tired, and my Sim is a decent guy, if not.. needy and picky about how clean his living environment is.

It isn't bad, though every time I zoom out to go to work or something I have the urge to play Sim City.
  • Options
    GwynniGwynni Posts: 91 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Lol yes, it does have that effect on the space-time continuum.

Welcome to the family!
  • Options
    GoldenEraGeekGoldenEraGeek Posts: 39 New Member
    edited June 2009
    yeah, i know how this feels...the first time i played The Sims i stayed on the computer for 8 hours...and the only reason i got off was because i had to go to school lol
  • Options
    Daelene8Daelene8 Posts: 186 Member
    edited June 2009
    Enjoy Sims :D You really do get hooked :lol:

Thats not a bad thing is it :?: :shock:
  • Options
    JaedJaed Posts: 155 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I think it is contagious, got the game installed at 1 am finaly, now its 6am and I gotta run to bed before the family catches me still playing haha.

I got addicted with simcity then sims 1 also, my son liked the games and needed my help..he regretted that move!
  • Options
    prplLaurenprplLauren Posts: 64 Member
    edited June 2009
    I remember when sims 1 came out. I saw my brother and his girlfriend playing it and I would watch. It looked really fun so I borrowed the game, took it over to my friend's house and we would play. I remember, that's when I was in elementary school so I got frightened of things easily. We used to turn down the volume every time our sims went to sleep because the burglar music used to scare us so. *sigh* how I miss those days...

but! I remember moving to california but I kept the sims with me and I bought every expansion that came out after that. I still remember my dad saying "are you sure it's ok for you to play this?" when I wanted to get hot date. :)

Sims 2 came out in my freshman year, i think. Oh...I played way too much instead of doing homework....

Then finally sims 3 and I'm loving the game a lot. :D
  • Options
    Cullen23Cullen23 Posts: 236 New Member
    edited June 2009
    LOL my mom still does not see the reason for it. She keeps trying me to do different things just to get me off. I cant wait till nxt week b/c I can play it all of the time without getting interrupted. :D
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited June 2009
    I got my game yesterday around 10am and started playing as soon as I got home. oops ate first, so I would not have to stop any to soon.
    I stopped playing last night a 10:30pm. Oh my goodness, and have been playing already today.
    I won't be able to play much tonigh becasue I have to leave at 5pm and won't get back until 8:30 or 9, I don't dare start as when I look at the clock it will be time to get up, ha ha.
    Just love it.
  • Options
    RachelP1024RachelP1024 Posts: 28 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I just realized after reading some of these, that I've been playing the sims for close to 8 years. 8 years! I started playing it when I was in 5th grade. I remember my mom having an issue with it because it was rated Teen, and so she wanted me to teach her how to play it. I remember sitting with her on the computer for like 3 hours playing the original Goth family, and she hated it. She thought Bella was stuck up and couldn't understand why she kept peeing on the floor and talking about soccer. I was actually a Teen when Sims 2 came out, so she didn't care about that. And now that the Sims 3 is out, she doesn't even know that I went out and bought it yesterday. My how I've grown lol.
  • Options
    revenger681revenger681 Posts: 39 New Member
    edited June 2009
    This game is great, I think it's a fun and entertaining game for all ages. There are maybe a few questionable content. But nothing all that big. Personally, I love how you can change how much your sims depend on you, and how independant they can be. I turned mine up to max, and watched a movie with one eye on the movie and the other on The Sims 3. Amazingly she took care of herself pretty darn well with the automation setting on high. I love this!

She kept all her stats green on her own, and even went to work. Something sims didn't do very well in the preivous. And for more excitment, turn it down and watch as you have to make them do just about everything yourself. hah.

Graphics exceeded my expectations as well. Small bits like reflections, shadows. You can watch the shadows follow the motion of the sun and etc.

Awesome game!

I'm only having one technical issue with uploading content (I'm trying to share y sims with my friends). My login screen in the launcher is nothing but a bunch of code displayed.

Other than the bug, i Think this game is awesome as well, glad you're enjoying it amung all the whiners out there!
  • Options
    myparis333myparis333 Posts: 9 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I luckily have a job that I can bring my Laptop to work with me.. every free second I get I play lol.. I think I may have a problem lol.. Can we consider this a support group??
  • Options
    Truce252Truce252 Posts: 31 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Its addicting! lol
  • Options
    Simmerd80Simmerd80 Posts: 2,316 Member
    edited June 2009
    I love reading about new people becoming simmers as they learn they are now addicted.
    The game is really hard to get off. I always lose so much time. Its not a game that you can play for a few hours and than turn off. My Simming sessions are always around 5 to 8 and sometimes 12 hours :shock:
    Welcome to the illness, there is no cure. :lol:
  • Options
    darkgoddessdarkgoddess Posts: 1,372 New Member
    edited June 2009
    This is my first time playing the sims, and my husbands. but he went out first thing and bought it for me. I installed it both computers and my husband who has been bad mouthing the game since i insisted i have it. stayed up till 4am playing it lol.

I dont know how either of us are going to function today on no sleep.
  • Options
    sunshinejenn03sunshinejenn03 Posts: 157 Member
    edited June 2009
    I discovered The Sims at my friend's house back in 2000. I was totally entranced with the build mode and asked for it that next Christmas. I figured I'd have a ton of time to play between classes at college. My mom didn't understand the draw it had for me.

And then one day I came home from class and found her on my game, simming away. From there, she went to creating custom content (VictoriaMayoroftheTown on TSR) and downloading stuff and buying expansion packs and my game pretty much became her game. The Sims 2 came out the year after I moved out of the house, so I bought it and all the expansion packs and have played it for the last almost 5 years (as did she....thank god we didn't live together anymore).

Now here we are to Sims 3. I'm addicted to it. I want to play it right now, but alas, I'm here at the office and can't. Such is life. But rest assured, my boyfriend is feeding himself tonight (and the dogs, cat and birds) as I will be simming the hours away until bed.
    ccdedef9-211b-4e2c-bb1f-e55a0b05f020.jpg
  • Options
    MagilicottiMagilicotti Posts: 24 Member
    edited June 2009
    Welcome to the new simmer's, and a hello to all the rest of us!

I've been playing since... jeez, The Sims came out 2000 ish. Well, still playing these games after all that time. I still play the original Sims at work, as our crappy workspace computers cannot handle anything more, and it's still fun as ever.

4 hours and 40 minutes until I am playing Sims 3 again. It's gona be a long day.
  • Options
    PhyroxisPhyroxis Posts: 105 New Member
    edited June 2009
    The game sure is fun :)
  • Options
    arbiter4arbiter4 Posts: 479 New Member
    edited September 2009
    I have to say this game is probably the most time consuming video game in the world.
  • Options
    berrypie27berrypie27 Posts: 15,492 Member
    edited September 2009
    Welcome. You have been asSIMilated :lol: