Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• IOIplaySimsIOIplaySims Posts: 135 Member
    Cool tread B)
    /Users/Isaac/Desktop/images.jpeg
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    @SimLibby Ah, I see your point regarding adding specific debug categories. I'm also going to throw in naming the debug objects as well; all too many are just "debug" and thus you can't search for them by name.

Thanks for providing me with example lots for the trim issue. I took a look at The Apartment By DutchSimsMaster, and I could indeed see the problem, not only with the balcony trim but also with some straight trim that was turning black in places and looked like it was pixel fighting other trim. I took some video of testing the lot here, and then I bulldozed and conducted my own test here. With regard to the black trim on The Apartment, it seems to be related to the builder using the wall tool instead of the room tool in those areas. As you can see in the video, when I re-drew the areas as rooms, the trim was normalized. I would definitely consider that a graphics glitch that should be fixed though.

Regarding the problem with curved deck trim, it is occurring when trim is applied to any structure connected to the deck. I think I haven't noticed it before because I typically apply trim to deck surfaces first before applying it to other areas of the structure, and unless you deliberately want your deck to be free of trim while maintaining it on the attached structure (which is definitely a valid way to go), everything looks fine. I was able to delete it only by deleting the trim on the attached structure. I would definitely consider it a bug though because you should be able to apply trim at will in areas without affecting others via holding SHIFT (which doesn't work in this case), and obviously, you should be able to delete it directly from the deck.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    Thank you so much for taking the time to look into it. I could use you a couple of weeks ago ;) when I was going nuts with my own testing and trial and error.

BryonyRae wrote: »
    I took a look at The Apartment By DutchSimsMaster, and I could indeed see the problem, not only with the balcony trim but also with some straight trim that was turning black in places and looked like it was pixel fighting other trim. I would definitely consider that a graphics glitch that should be fixed though.
    Yes, I've noticed this too. This glitch, even though it doesn't look nice, was one I had less trouble with accepting. In a way it's a logical glitch because those trims are connected. Because of the way those trims are applied, they intertwine.
    With regard to the black trim on The Apartment, it seems to be related to the builder using the wall tool instead of the room tool in those areas. As you can see in the video, when I re-drew the areas as rooms, the trim was normalized.
    I will remember this. But still, it shouldn't matter. It shouldn't be so difficult, and take testing to discover this, to use trims.
    Regarding the problem with curved deck trim, it is occurring when trim is applied to any structure connected to the deck. I was able to delete it only by deleting the trim on the attached structure.
    With my apartment: when I removed the attached structure (room), so there was nothing connecting to the balcony, the trims got removed from the round corners. But before I did this, I already had removed the trims from the whole structure.
    SimLibby wrote: »
    iNpDiYutEd2WR.jpg
    ibykwcXGFYXZAx.jpg
    I think I haven't noticed it before because I typically apply trim to deck surfaces first before applying it to other areas of the structure, and unless you deliberately want your deck to be free of trim while maintaining it on the attached structure, everything looks fine.
    I never do that. If I use trims, I always want the trim to be on the deck. I apply the trim first to the structure before I apply it to the decks and I always apply it when I'm more or less done with building and making my house from the outside pretty (wall paper, trims, things like that). Even if the way you describe is the way to go, I again come to one conclusion: it shouldn't matter and be that difficult to use trims.

Did you test with one of you're buildings (where you first apply on the deck before the structure) if you could remove the trims or have problems with trims in combination with round corners?
    I would definitely consider it a bug though because you should be able to apply trim at will in areas without affecting others via holding SHIFT (which doesn't work in this case), and obviously, you should be able to delete it directly from the deck.
    I only sometimes use Shift with the roof and placing objects more precise. I also think it's a bug. The way I see it, it shouldn't matter which order you use to apply trims (e.g. first deck or first the attached structure).

A couple of weeks (months?) ago when I start having this problem, I did my own testing and tried many things (some things I already forgot). One of the mains things I discovered, probably something more advanced builders already know but for me it was a discovery, is to make room units (whether the rooms has walls/fences or not). I really thought this was the answer, but I was in for a big disappointment. Based on you're testing it seems it's also important how to make room units: not using the wall tool (what's the point of having it?) but using the room unit tool. I know this is important with attics so the roof doesn't go through the attic but it seems important for the whole building (so again: what is the point of having the wall tool when it's not preferable to use). But, if I remember correctly, this was the case with at least my boat: the second floor existed of two units: an indoor and outdoor. At one point I thought this was the problem: that there was an indoor room unit in the middle of an outdoor unit (the outdoor unit surrounded the indoor unit): because when I relocate the indoor unit to the basement, as described before, I could remove the trims.

So in (my) conclusion:
    • You rock!
    • We have a graphic glitch and a bug.
    • It's always better to use the room unit tool instead of the wall tool.
    • It shouldn't matter how you build (which tool or order you use): it shouldn't be so difficult to use trims without any problems.

I still do have one more question. Can you please confirm that debug items stay with the creations after uploading to the Gallery? I have found answers but in older topics (when there still where bugs that now are fixed) so I would really like to have a confirmation (to make sure). Thank you.

Thank you very much. You have been a great help. If you don't mind I will include this topic in my own Dutch building guide on my site. I make a big note of the problems I have with trim and my solutions. You're findings and testing would be a good addition to that information.

Thanks again!
    @SimLibby You're quite welcome! I had no idea how buggy the trim was prior to your post, so I'm glad you posted, and I'm sure that getting these glitches addressed will benefit a lot of simmers.

Interesting note about your apartment. I wonder if the game still thought there was trim somewhere in there. In my tests, removing the trim from the structure always removed it from the balcony too, but I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't a 100% thing. If EA addresses the bug, I hope they'll catch it in all of its iterations.

No, I wasn't suggesting that you build via my process; merely that because of my process, I hadn't noticed the bug before. The problem would still be the same if I tried to remove trim on the balcony, regardless of which steps I took beforehand; I just had never needed/wanted to do it before. I mentioned SHIFT because when you hold it down, you can apply trim to a specific portion of a structure rather than the entire thing, so I would have expected that while holding it, I could remove trim from the balcony even while retaining it on the attached structure. It doesn't work, but it should.

Yes, using the wall tool instead of room tool does seem to set one up for a variety of build problems, and while I wish it wasn't that way, I think it's the trade-off for the advantages we get via this new room concept in the game (and I do like the modularity; I just want them to give us more fine-grained control over it). However, I think if people will start migrating to the new custom room tool, they will avoid a lot of issues. It lets you draw all kinds of odd-shaped rooms, but they are then treated properly vs. drawing the shapes manually with the wall tool.

Oh, sorry, missed the debug question. *Most* debug objects do transfer to the Gallery. @joolster has a list of the ones that don't...somewhere. Rats, I can't remember the web site, but perhaps she'll pop in and provide us with a link.

Feel free to use the info from this thread in your building guide. We definitely want to get the information out to people, however we can. :)
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    I had no idea how buggy the trim was prior to your post, so I'm glad you posted, and I'm sure that getting these glitches addressed will benefit a lot of simmers.
    I saw you included this in you're bug list. Thank you.
    Only I'am not sure about you're description. Don't get me wrong, I'am already impressed you where able to summarize this bug in one sentence but it feels like the description is not complete, that there is more too it somehow. Maybe include something about the wall tool vs the room unit tool. Also I'am not sure the problem only has to do with attached structures (like you said, it's not a 100% thing). I hope EA is checking page 34.
    Cannot remove decking trim on middle portion of curved deck when deck is attached to structure with trim (see pg. 34)

Interesting note about your apartment. I wonder if the game still thought there was trim somewhere in there.
    Too bad I didn't save and re-start the game. Because if this was the case, restarting (and removing caches) should have solved this issue (I think).
    In my tests, removing the trim from the structure always removed it from the balcony too, but I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't a 100% thing.
    If I remember correctly, I experienced this too. That's is the most frustrating: where is the logic in this bug (it's indeed not a 100% thing). I keep thinking there has to be some logic in the way the bug occurs but I can't find it. Or maybe I just forgot, I tried so many things. One time I even thought it had something to do with the railing of the stairs (my boat). I had two stairs with railings (like the L shape): one indoor and one outdoor. Those stairs and railings where more or less connecting, only a wall separated them. Like this (I don't have the pictures anymore):
    I_I_I (green = stairs and railing. Red is the wall.)
    When I removed the railings (from both stairs) that was pointed to the wall (the short side of the L shape), I could remove the trim.
    I mentioned SHIFT because when you hold it down, you can apply trim to a specific portion of a structure rather than the entire thing,
    Didn't know this, I will remember this.
    Yes, using the wall tool instead of room tool does seem to set one up for a variety of build problems, and while I wish it wasn't that way, I think it's the trade-off for the advantages we get via this new room concept in the game. However, I think if people will start migrating to the new custom room tool, they will avoid a lot of issues. It lets you draw all kinds of odd-shaped rooms, but they are then treated properly vs. drawing the shapes manually with the wall tool.
    I will make sure I use the room unit tool for all my buildings. Even if I just want to change one wall, I will correct this with the room unit tools. Though, I wish the wall tool didn't cause any problems. Why do we have it? If that is indeed the trade off, let EA remove the wall tool all together.

Feel free to use the info from this thread in your building guide. We definitely want to get the information out to people, however we can.
    I will spread the word ;) I already did but, like I said, you're testing results are a great addition (especially using the room unit tool rather than the wall tool is preferable). I also have a library on my site with all kind of links (about The Sims 3/4 and CAW), I will include it there too. I have not include it yet but in case you're interested, this is my library (I'am very proud of my library). It's a Dutch site but most part of the library you will get: http://www.simsexpressie.nl/bibliotheek.html

Will you leave the testing video's on YouTube?
    *Most* debug objects do transfer to the Gallery. @joolster has a list of the ones that don't...somewhere. Rats, I can't remember the web site, but perhaps she'll pop in and provide us with a link.
    Is this the one: http://jools-simming.tumblr.com/post/115865172705/march-patch-moo-and-debug
    @SimLibby You're welcome! Yes, the tag in the index is abbreviated; I have to keep them extremely short, or I exceed the allotment of text for the post, so you'll see that almost all of the bugs/glitches we've noted have a bare bones description and then a page # reference. I am definitely counting on the fact that the team will check the relevant page when/if they need more details on a bug.

Your web site looks quite thorough! :) Yes, I'll leave the testing videos up, as they might be useful not only to us but to the dev team. And yep, that's the web page I was thinking of; thanks for locating it!
    edited September 2015
    FYI, I have completed testing the 9/24/15 patch for changes and fixes. Here are my findings:

One request fulfilled - we now have the ability to enlarge rugs. :)

We also have one bug fixed: 7/15/15 Bug - A sauna placed in the basement doesn't function unless it is positioned completely under a room above it (see pg. 28)

Kind of a lean patch when it comes to build mode. :/ Hoping for more with the next one!
    Post edited by BryonyRae on
    edited September 2015
    Yes, the tag in the index is abbreviated; I have to keep them extremely short, or I exceed the allotment of text for the post
    Oh, right. I forgot about that restriction.
    Your web site looks quite thorough!
    I like it that you took a look. I also looked at you're blog. You're a very talented and creative builder. I watched you're video about basement spacing. It's always nice to hear the voice that goes behind the avatar. You have a nice voice.
    I'll leave the testing videos up, as they might be useful not only to us but to the dev team. And yep, that's the web page I was thinking of; thanks for locating it!
    Great, thank you and you're welcome.
    As far as I can tell, we have one request fulfilled - we now have the ability to enlarge rugs.
    About halfway through bugs/glitches index. Nothing fixed as of yet.
    Well, it's something. We are slowly getting there. Maybe it's a small fix but I like it.

Thanks again and take care!

Thank you @SimLibby. I appreciate that you took the time to browse my blog and watch the video. :)

Ooh, looks like we got stickied! :o That should help people find this info more easily.
  • CasseeCassee Posts: 3,710 Member
    Ooh, looks like we got stickied! :o That should help people find this info more easily.

It's about time. It only took a year, Ms Bry :p
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. Bertrand Russell
    sims4siggie2018_zpslw60zcgd.png
    Cassee's Corner: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783956/cassees-corner-new-5309-memory-lane-wip-page-72/p1
    True! Although, in fairness to the gurus, I never asked...I probably should have. ;)
  • Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    Yay for being stickied!! :)
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • Chris2fer03Chris2fer03 Posts: 650 Member
    Hey Bry, I wanted to stop by and leave a detailed comment regarding my stair issue. I built my current build 302 Glenview Lane on the Tranquil Crescent 30x30 lot in Newcrest. Upon completion of the lot, I playtested the entire lot and saved it to my gallery.

When I placed the lot from my library onto the Twin Oracle Point 50x40 lot, also in Newcrest, I noticed the stairs had disappeared. I went back to my original build, deleted the stairs and added them back to the build, saving it to my library. When placing on the Twin Oracle Point lot, the same thing happened. For my third and fourth attempts, I added a sim to the lot thinking maybe it was a build mode issue. I saved the lot a total of five times to my library with the same issue happening each time.

I decided after the last attempt, to place the lot in Oasis Springs. The build transferred from my library with no issues. I went back to Newcrest and tried the Twin Oracle lot again resulting in the missing stairs issue. I tried other Newcrest lots and the stairs transferred with no issues. For me, the issue is linked to one specific lot, Twin Oracle Point.

Let me know if you need more information/testing on my part. Thank you! :)
    Gallery ID: chris2fer03
    ~Showcase Thread~ ~Photobucket~
    ophze_zps7vbzpsi9.gif
    edited September 2015
    @Chris2fer03 I downloaded your home (wanted to take a look at it anyway :) ) and can definitely duplicate the issue with it as well as with another build by Kameliaxxx, also a 30x30, called Farm Life. However, the other 30x30 lots I tried with stairs, including one I whipped up myself, did not have any stairs go missing. I can't really find a commonality between your lot and Kameliaxxx's vs. the others I looked at, but clearly something odd is going on. I don't know if I would attribute it 100% to the Twin Oracle Point lot, as I know I have seen this happen occasionally in the past with builds I've looked at, and I almost always use the Affluista Mansion lot in Oasis Springs. I think it is part of the larger bug of objects getting shifted when builds are placed on lots that are larger than their original lot. Don't know if we discussed it way back when, but I still use your Griswold Family Christmas house as a test case for each patch to see if Maxis has fixed the problem. :p For now, I would tentatively wrap this case into the same issue, but I'll also put links to your house and Kameliaxxx's so that Maxis can see for themselves:
    Hi BryonyRae,

I just want to let you know that it looks like some debug items (not all) are categorized and are also in the regular menu's (after of course activating the debug menu).

iOJRjOVhbkGua.jpg

iHo35bCFtAmLu.jpg

ibiqQG6y57GYpI.jpg

i4dFrofaKN81h.jpg
  • sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    I couldn't see this on the first page so I hope I'm not repeating something but ... If you click on a "Styled Room" you can then remove any single object to use in your build but it doesn't work that way for any rooms you have saved to your Library. I make rooms of commonly used debug items so I don't have try and find them all the time but unlike the Styled Rooms I have to place the room on the lot to access the individual objects. It would be nice if Saved Rooms behaved the same way as Styled Rooms when wanting a single item from the room. Thanks. :)
    Thanks @SimLibby!

@sawdust No, you're not repeating, and I think that's a very good request - I'll add it. :)
  • thegizkythegizky Posts: 84 Member
    Maybe this has been covered and I missed it, but I really want to be able to delete the bottom wall portion of a roof section, like you can with stairs. I kind of remember being able to in sims 3 but maybe I'm remembering wrong.
    Sorry for the late response @thegizky. Yes, this was requested:

•11/8/14 Let us remove individual roof wall tiles (requested by RyeCris16)

I too believe we could do this in TS3.
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    @BryonyRae I didn't see this in the list of bugs/issues

I'm not sure if it's universal on all lots or only on lots from the gallery that are being modified, and I know of at least one other simmer who's run into the same problem.
    Problem: Lot value isn't tracking/changing while building or adding additional buy items, lots new value only shows up when saving the lot to the library.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn , was there a sim family on the lot already?

I've notice that if I have a lot with a sim family that has never been played, I can place a build of any value I like on it, and I can build there with unlimited simoleons ... but the lot value doesn't change.
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    Xinqun wrote: »
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn , was there a sim family on the lot already?

I've notice that if I have a lot with a sim family that has never been played, I can place a build of any value I like on it, and I can build there with unlimited simoleons ... but the lot value doesn't change.

I had my tester's on the lot. They don't exactly get 'play' time beyond checking routing of builds. Additionally I move them from lot to lot as needed for building.

While this might be a nice way to give a starter family any house you want from the gallery in terms of building, I don't like.

I'll play my testers out a little and see if that helps solve the issue. I wonder if I can use a played sim(s) from the library and have them count as played or if they would still count as unplayed for that save? To be tested another day, unless someone already knows the answer.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • thegizkythegizky Posts: 84 Member
    To do away with play-testing lots, it would be nice to have some way to turn on notification that a usable object is not routable (like maybe highlight the object?) I don't know how routing works so maybe its too process heavy for it to be checking if stuff is routable with every change you make, in which case maybe there could be a playtest button which checks routing on everything.
    @Mmdrgntobldrgn Yep, I'm surprised we didn't already have this one, but I can definitely duplicate what you're seeing - the Lot Value in the Lot Info Panel is not being updated while building. It will update when you switch back into live mode or exit the lot and re-enter it. I'll add it.

@thegizky I think that would be very process heavy indeed; the way it seems to work in live mode is that the sims don't "know" that an object isn't routable until they try to actually get to it or use it. That tells me that the game must calculate the routing as it happens, so try to perform some calculation while it's in build mode...I just can't see any sort of structure in place for that. We can request it, but honestly, I think playtesting lots is always a good idea, not only from a routing perspective but also for layout efficiency and just in general to know the experience your downloaders will have with your lot. I know I've gotten a lot of "a ha" moments from it anyway...
  • sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    I would like to add to the wish list. I didn't see it on the index. We should be able to enlarge paintings that sims create the same way we are able to enlarge the ones from the buy section. Also, it would be nice to have a choice in frame styles and colors. I'm really happy we can enlarge rugs by the way. That is awesome!