Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

El Capitan Update and Sims 4

all of a sudden after upgrading to the latest beta of El Capitan Beta last night my Sims 4 stopped working.. When i launch it from origin i get "The Sims 4 cannot be opened because of a problem."

Check with the developer to make sure The Sims 4 works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X.

Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.

here is the report:

Process: The Sims 4 [1593]
Path: /Applications/The Sims 4.app/Contents/MacOS/The Sims 4
Identifier: com.ea.mac.thesims4
Version: ???
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: The Sims 4 [1593]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2015-09-23 00:31:51.742 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.1 (15B17c)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID: 84221D99-520D-A3C4-962C-C6238B47A444

Sleep/Wake UUID: 9B98A3AA-73C9-4BD5-A83D-CC5246AD5C4E

Time Awake Since Boot: 17000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 380 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
malformed mach-o image: symbol strings overrun __LINKEDIT

Binary Images:
0x7fff6551e000 - 0x7fff655561df dyld (360.16) <2A88A0A8-7B2A-345E-A627-3CE5CF045F64> /usr/lib/dyld

Model: MacBookPro11,1, BootROM MBP111.0138.B15, 2 processors, Intel Core i5, 2.6 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 2.16f68
Graphics: Intel Iris, Intel Iris, Built-In
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x802C, 0x384B54463531323634485A2D314736453120
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x802C, 0x384B54463531323634485A2D314736453120
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x112), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.21.94.24.1a23)
Bluetooth: Version 4.4.0f4 16320, 3 services, 19 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en0
Serial ATA Device: APPLE SSD SM0256F, 251 GB
USB Device: USB 3.0 Bus
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
USB Device: BRCM20702 Hub
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 17.2

PLEASE help! I work for apple so i know its not an issue on my end..

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello.
    You may like to move your thread to the Sims 4 Mac section of the forums. You can do that by pressing the cog wheel on the top right hand side of the thread, click edit, then change the location of your thread under the title of your thread.
    The Mac section of the forums is
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    El Capitan is still in beta and not officially supported.

If possible downgrade back to what update you had before until El Capitan gets out of beta and becomes officially supported. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    PyxiePyxie Posts: 11 New Member
    > @Matthew said:
    > all of a sudden after upgrading to the latest beta of El Capitan Beta last night my Sims 4 stopped working.. When i launch it from origin i get "The Sims 4 cannot be opened because of a problem."

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one getting the bug. I installed the latest stuff pack this morning and now I don't even get the error message. It just doesn't launch. I sent off a couple of feedback tickets with the information from the report - which I know was sent as well. I can't for the life of me think of what was released with the latest update that's caused the game to just ... stop.

I'm going to roll back to the GM Candidate that was installed before this latest update. Fingers crossed that everything goes back to normal.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    @Matthew and @Pyxie not knowing this captain game its possible its update did something to 4s programming files so if rolling back doesnt work consider needing to reinstalling sims

but before hand do see if resetting sims 4 game data files helps
    how to reset your sims 4 files, pull your my documents/electronic arts/sim 4 folder to the desktop and run a test game if this fixes the problem you can move back old files to the new but test for problems:

files to move back (but again test each move)
    saves - game save
    options.ini - game settings
    screenshots
    custom music
    mods folder - IMPORTANT: only return updated mods or mods deemed fine by modder to your game patch; outdated mods can corrupt save files and user feedback isnt enough proof that a mod isnt conflicting with new game coding
    tray folder - all your saved builds and sims
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited September 2015
    I've seen a few threads now with people stating their games will no longer play since the latest beta release so everything is pointing towards Apple and not EA this time. Is anything significant showing up in Console?

You can't roll back El Capitan but maybe you could install Yosemite on a partition on your Mac, boot into it, install TS4 and play?

Have you tried repairing Permissions?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    > @ceejay402 said:
    > Matthew and Pyxie not knowing this captain game its possible its update did something to 4s programming files so if rolling back doesnt work consider needing to reinstalling sims

Rolling back to the GM Candidate edition of OS X El Capitan worked for me.

@Matthew if you're able to do that - I say go for it. TBH I didn't notice any actual benefits to the new update. I didn't try the new update with any other games since all I play on my MBP is Minecraft and The Sims.

For those of you who are beta testing El Capitan and got smashed by the new update - You *Should* have the GM Candidate installation under your PURCHASED tab of the App Store. That will take you to the most stable version of the beta thus far.

However - We only have until Sept 30th until the final version of El Capitan is released. I'll test the game on the 30th with the final version and report back if Game Breakage so that we can all avoid it like the plague if it does the breaking.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @Pyxie what Mac do you have? Is there any hardware you share with the OP?

Nevermind. I just tried on my old iMac and it crashed too. Adding to the bug thread until official release and possible fix.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    I'm running a MacBook Pro 11,2
    OS X Build: 15B17c
    Paste from my Hardware Overview:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP112.0138.B15

As I mentioned above - I have rolled back (Or forward?) to the GM Candidate version of El Capitan. The game works for me again.
    However - I'm not sure if all beta testers have access to it. If you do, you can safely roll back to it and the game functions again. There's still the weird hair-highlighting issue, but I can live with that.
  • Options
    Pyxie wrote: »
    I'm running a MacBook Pro 11,2
    OS X Build: 15B17c
    Paste from my Hardware Overview:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP112.0138.B15

As I mentioned above - I have rolled back (Or forward?) to the GM Candidate version of El Capitan. The game works for me again.
    However - I'm not sure if all beta testers have access to it. If you do, you can safely roll back to it and the game functions again. There's still the weird hair-highlighting issue, but I can live with that.

I've just tried updating the Config.log to El Capitan but it hasn't worked :(

el-capitan-config.png

If this is the final release then it will be up to EA to release a patch....

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    >
    > I've just tried updating the Config.log to El Capitan but it hasn't worked :(
    >
    >
    >
    > If this is the final release then it will be up to EA to release a patch....

Have you tried through the App Store? (Probably a stupid question, sorry)
    This isn't the final version. That won't be released until Sept 30.

I'm going to test the final version on the 30th and report back on Sims 4 functionality.
  • Options
    southaltansouthaltan Posts: 152 Member
  • Options
    Pyxie wrote: »
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    >
    > I've just tried updating the Config.log to El Capitan but it hasn't worked :(
    >
    >
    >
    > If this is the final release then it will be up to EA to release a patch....

Have you tried through the App Store? (Probably a stupid question, sorry)
    This isn't the final version. That won't be released until Sept 30.

I'm going to test the final version on the 30th and report back on Sims 4 functionality.

I won't bother, I can still play on my 15" MBP which I never run anything beta on for this very reason. I wanted to see if we could come up with a fix in the game files somewhere but it doesn't look like it (someone please prove me wrong? :D ). I know the final version is due out next week but whatever Apple have changed may be in the final release so EA have got to come up with the goods. We really don't want a repeat of what happened with TS3 when Lion came out. No one with NVIDIA graphics could run the game and it took nearly 2 months for EA to come up with a patch. And I mean NO ONE who had upgraded to Lion. It was a mess.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    fjallravenfjallraven Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Pyxie said:
    > I'm going to roll back to the GM Candidate that was installed before this latest update. Fingers crossed that everything goes back to normal.

I wish I didn't update to 10.11.1 :( How did you roll back to the GM version? Did you use time machine?
  • Options
    sam19blakesam19blake Posts: 54 Member
    I had the same issu I rolled back to the first GM build and the sims4 is working fine again for me.
  • Options
    fjallravenfjallraven Posts: 2 New Member
    > @fjallraven said:
    > I wish I didn't update to 10.11.1 :( How did you roll back to the GM version? Did you use time machine?

Never mind I fixed it! :) Saw that you said to check in the app store under the purchased tab, downloaded GM from there and installed it with no issues right over 10.11.1.
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Posts: 3 New Member
    Great thanks!!! Trying now.
  • Options
    LadyLindsay26LadyLindsay26 Posts: 151 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    @Matthew and @Pyxie not knowing this captain game its possible its update did something to 4s programming files so if rolling back doesnt work consider needing to reinstalling sims

What game? >.> El Capitan is the newest mac OS.
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Posts: 3 New Member
    It's working flawlessly now! Thanks so much! Rolling back to the GM version fixed it for me! Thanks @Pyxie !!
  • Options
    @Matthew - I'm glad it worked for you.

As you guys know, the final release of El Capitan hit the App Store today.
    I just tested the game running the official El Capitan release and everything works properly.

I will state that you can update to El Capitan ( NO BETA VERSIONS JUST THE STRAIGHT FINAL VERSION ) and run the game. If you update and cannot run the game .... well you guys can throw rotten food at my head or something. I dunno. I'll leave that up to you guys :D
  • Options
    Has anyone downloaded the second beta of 10.11.1 yet? It's available to Devs but not public beta yet.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > Has anyone downloaded the second beta of 10.11.1 yet? It's available to Devs but not public beta yet.

I did it - Sims 4 confirmed to NOT work.

BUT If you do it, and you downloaded El Capitan, you can roll back like we did with the GM Edition.
    Also - the latest Public Beta available after the release is 10.11.1. I don't have access to the Dev edition, but if it's not working for the Public Beta, I am guessing it's not going to work on the Dev side either.
  • Options
    There's a second version that was released on Tuesday.

Public Beta testers don't have access to it yet. I'm interested to know if whatever broke in the first version has been "fixed" in the second version.

I'm not interested in rolling back, I want to be able to test the betas as they're released.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    30jon30jon Posts: 3 New Member
    edited October 2015
    Here's a solution,

Download sourceforge.net/projects/machoview/ and open it
    File > Open and go to Applications/The Sims 4/Contents/MacOS/The Sims 4
    In the sidebar Expand Load commands and select *LC_SEGMENT_64 (__LINKDATA)
    Select the row that says filesize in the description and double click its data cell
    Replace 0000000000034894 with 34ABF
    Save
    Now you can open The Sims 4

The problem is since TS4 embeds python, extra data is added to the __LINKDATA section without increasing the file size for that section.
    In previous Mac Os versions, Only the codesign/strip tools would check for this, however in 10.11.1 the OS checks for this as well (thanks for not putting this in the changelog Apple).

To calculate the correct file size for the __LINKDATA section, take the original executable size from
    ls -l /Applications/The\ Sims\ 4.app/Contents/MacOS/The\ Sims\ 4
    and subtract it from File offset in MachOView, then convert the result into hex.
  • Options
    30jon wrote: »
    Here's a solution,

Download sourceforge.net/projects/machoview/ and open it
    File > Open and go to Applications/The Sims 4/Contents/MacOS/The Sims 4
    In the sidebar Expand Load commands and select *LC_SEGMENT_64 (__LINKDATA)
    Select the row that says filesize in the description and double click its data cell
    Replace 0000000000034894 with 34ABF
    Save
    Now you can open The Sims 4

The problem is since TS4 embeds python, extra data is added to the __LINKDATA section without increasing the file size for that section.
    In previous Mac Os versions, Only the codesign/strip tools would check for this, however in 10.11.1 the OS checks for this as well (thanks for not putting this in the changelog Apple).

To calculate the correct file size for the __LINKDATA section, take the original executable size from
    ls -l /Applications/The\ Sims\ 4.app/Contents/MacOS/The\ Sims\ 4
    and subtract it from File offset in MachOView, then convert the result into hex.

My head is spinning after reading this but thank you so much for posting it and explaining. So may this be something that Apple could change back? Or should EA release a patch to fix the game?

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    30jon30jon Posts: 3 New Member
    Here's a video showing the solution: youtube.com/watch?v=ZRX2I2hwP1U

This is something EA would need to patch since it does break the MachO spec.