Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tutorials~

spackichanspackichan Posts: 1,183 Member
So, I've been asked for a bunch of tutorials, and I thought I'd open a thread to host them. (It'll probably take me awhile to get through everything, and I'm not really good with words so bare with me!) If you have any questions/requests I'm more than happy to explain and show you the best I can.

Remember this is the way I do it, and it's probably nowhere near as great as some of the other tutorials out there! (*cough Jillie *cough*) If these don't work so well for you, don't be disheartened!
(◡ ‿ ◡ ✿)
Post edited by spackichan on

Comments

• spackichanspackichan Posts: 1,183 Member
    edited August 2015
    *BASIC* skin shading.

-

I usually begin skin shading once I've cut out my sim and have them on the appropriate background. People sometimes shade their sims before they do anything, and I guess you can too. But I like to get them onto whatever background I'm going to be using - and deciding where my light and dark sources are and can shade appropriately.

For this example, I'll be using a plain grey background.

iqvmu1.png

Let's keep things nice and simple, I've marked my light and dark sources on a seperate layer (though you don't have to do this!)

2yywizp.png

This is where the way I shade starts to get a lil' different. Using the eyedropper tool, pinch your sims skin colour (preferrably a darker area, like near her nose, or under her jaw) and then darken it considerably.

wk1z4.png

Alright: set your new layer to multiply. I don't use soft light or overlay for base shading, the multiply tool usually gives me the effect I prefer. Shade as you usually would, using your darker skin tone colour. This is the only main difference I use when shading - it's pretty standard stuff.

2cigpbc.jpg

You really don't need to be especially careful when drawing on shadows, as nothing is perfect and you can use the smudge tool to pull and drag and contour however you like. I always, always run around the nose and cheekbones regardless of how light the photograph may be.

2a7ik9h.png

Shadow little by little rather than doing the whole picture at once, as different areas are going to have different strengths of darkness. I use Gaussian blur once I've covered an area, and it really does depend on how drastic of a shadow you want that dictates how much you blur. I wanted quite a heavy shadow, this time around.

25juvc4.png

Continue to shade and blur within segments. Tip: Create a new layer and set it to multiply with every segment, blur accordingly, then merge it with your main shading layer. Another thing I do is set my eraser to maybe 30-40% and gently erase over some of the shading depending where it is, as the multiply setting is quite harsh.

2vc9w68.png

Once you're satisfied with the shading on your sim and all shadow layers are merged together, lower the opacity of the main layer to whatever suits your needs. As I wanted quite dark shadowing, I chose 63%.

im0wef.png

Create a new layer underneath the shading layer, this will be your highlights. I always always put highlights beneath shadow as I find the white kinda eats up whatever colour is underneath it and tends to look too blocky.

jrz0wz.png

This time use soft light - as multiply and white do not go hand in hand whatsoever. Highlight where the light source would fall onto your sim, Gaussian blur again, rinse and repeat.

27ypwzq.png

Be sure when you're highlighting areas that have more darkness to use a new layer ontop of your main highlight layer (just like the shadowing layer!) and lower the opacity significantly before merging with the main layer for realism.

33zecn9.png

That's the basic down.

3508j9w.png

So as we all know, I'm a gradient lover. Once I've got my main skin shading complete, I usually test out block colours over the top of my picture to add more depth. Colour correction is essential, and I've chosen a violet colour here to lift some of that darkness from her skin. Colour dodge is perfect for accentuating highlights - but be sure to play around with it! There's tons of combo's for plenty of fixes, and they're all great.

2dc5pno.png

Merge your gradient to your photograph, and duplicate it. Go over it all again with the burn and dodge tools, highlighting and darkening where you deem necessary. Lower the opacity of the duplicated layer if you think you go too strong with them!
    (which, i totally did and kinda sat there like O___O)

2llzw43.png

Merge the layers once you're complete. Skin shading done!

2qu3p87.png

Then just play around with all of the things photoshop has to offer to correct funky skin-tones, too much highlights/shadows ect. This is absolutely the most important step of all, and I can't stress how much you really need to get to know all of these features, it really makes a difference.

2mhifbb.jpg

Ta-da!
    (◡ ‿ ◡ ✿)
    :blush: you're welcome mizzie!
    (◡ ‿ ◡ ✿)
  • IceTigers21IceTigers21 Posts: 810 Member
    Omg Chan! Totally gonna be taking advantage of this, haha especially seeing as it looks like you use CS6...? I just got it and working on making the transition from CS2 but it's so intimidating, lol. Thanks!!
    Siggy_zpsvy6uc9hh.gif

• EliavahEliavah Posts: 2,270 Member
    You're model has some nice hips.
    likee just saying B)

Great tutorial <3 Can't wait to see more. I love how you touched on using colors like purple to make your sim's skin look less flat. Sometimes I shade with a dark blue or do highlights with a washed out purple to give the skin more life ~ Of course it all depends on the background.
    Ava I promise its not as daunting as you think! Its actually so much better but I'm glad you're enjoying this! ^~^

Haha ty Elia, I know I made her hips massive cause I totally love curvy ladies :3 yeah you gots to take your background into consideration but shading with different colors is so much better :D!
    (◡ ‿ ◡ ✿)
  • ladybug65ladybug65 Posts: 696 Member
    This is great Chan! I used to shade and highlight like that but right now i have moved on to solely dodging and burning. I will definitely try some of the gradients :)
    2lijr.png
  • lionesskitty09lionesskitty09 Posts: 1,827 Member
    Awesome! Thank You Chan! :)
    25316144021_1a6fd75cf6_b.jpg
  • JoeJoe11JoeJoe11 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited August 2015
    No where near your standard, but gave this a go. Bit rushed as was a practice edit. I didn't cut out cause it wasn't for a competition and I'm feeling a bit lazy. Just wanted a therapeutic edit after today. Would usually follow the light source tip etc. Also couldn't be bothered to fix warped limbs haha!

20388433221_95af34deb5_o.jpg

-->

19759609904_6bc8cf335c_o.png
    c0Ixg8O.png
  • VanadisVanadis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Great tutorial Chan! I used to shade similarly to this, but alas, I am now also in the club of "just dodge and burn." I DO do (lol do do) the gradients though!

And pretty edit, Joe! Her cheekbones can cut glass :P
    She says that love is for fools that fall behind
    I'm somewhere between
    I never really know a killer from a savior
  • littlebirdielittlebirdie Posts: 38 Member
    this is supaa helpful cuz I hate skin shading xO and you do urs amazingly <3<3
  • Mhamilton0911Mhamilton0911 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Chan, would it be possible to do a tut on the finishing effects? Like overall filters or tips to get that soft glow, or magical feel your photos have, I wruv it!
  • GemmabubblesGemmabubbles Posts: 1,737 Member
    agree with @Mhamilton0911 !!!

out of interest are you called mhamilton because u live in hamilton or is your last name hamilton??! probably the latter lol
    Sims 4 Vampire CC showcase!
    nO4zXfe.png?3
  • StormydoveStormydove Posts: 53 Member
    wow love how much passion you put into your work
  • NotMeMaggieNotMeMaggie Posts: 110 Member
    @spackichan
    Hun, could you do a simple one for hair drawing? PREEEEEEEZE?? ~puppy dog eyes~
    Thank you everyone! Sorry i didnt see your messages.

Ofcourse i will sweetness <3
    (◡ ‿ ◡ ✿)
  • NotMeMaggieNotMeMaggie Posts: 110 Member
    oooH! do you even know how much i wruv you?? A ROT!!!
  • lionesskitty09lionesskitty09 Posts: 1,827 Member
    Awesome! Thank You Chan! :)
    25316144021_1a6fd75cf6_b.jpg
  • AestasAestas Posts: 72 Member
    This is a cool tutorial! :)
  • sarlynute1sarlynute1 Posts: 97 Member
    The sim(s) are gorgeous!!!
    Xfimx5.gif
  • mytommmytomm Posts: 2 New Member
    Thank you so much ! I'm in love with this tutorial !!! <3
  • DeviSimmerDeviSimmer Posts: 232 Member
    wow, ty! im going to use it