Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Forum FAQ

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
edited August 2015 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
Forum FAQ

Clicking on a question will take you to the answer.

1. Why can’t I post an avatar, post a picture, post a link, send private messages, or use emojis?
2. How do I earn points?
3. What do points do?
4. What are badges?
5. What are badges for?
6. What’s a ‘like’?
7. What’s an ‘lol’?
8. What is 'promote'?
9. What is the 'Best Of' page?
10. How do I post a picture?
11. How do I get a Twitter comment to appear?
12. When will my comment be approved?
13. How do I change my avatar?
14. How do I change my username or screen name?
15. Who are the moderators?
16. What’s a Sim Guru?
17. How do I send a private message (PM)?
18. How do I ‘friend’ someone?
19. What’s an Origin friend?
20. What is tagging?
21. How do I tag someone?
22. What about hashtags?
23. What can I do if someone is harassing or bullying me?
24. Help! There’s a troll on the loose?
25. How do I ignore a poster?
26. What if an image doesn’t violate the rules, but I just don’t like it?
27. I just got a warning, what does that mean?
28. Why do some users have jail bars?
29. Do developers ever read the forums?
30. I have a great idea for the game! How do I contact Maxis?
31. Where do I voice my complaint?
32. How do I find the threads I’ve made?
33. How do I find a comment I’ve made?
34. How do I edit a post?
35. How do I change fonts?
36. How do I view my drafts?
37. How do I delete drafts?
38. How do I post spoilers?
39. How can I move my post to a different section?
40. How do I link to a specific post?
41. What’s a wall?
42. How do I set my wall to private?
43. How do I delete messages on my wall?
44. How do I edit my wall post?
45. How do I create a signature?
46. Why are my words changing to plum?
47. Why are my threads disappearing?
48. Why don’t images and GIFs work in my signature?
49. Why so many stickies?
50. What’s the Gallery?
51. Is there a game demo?
52. Is there a mobile app for this site?
53. My game isn’t working right, can you help?
54. Hey, what about Sims 1 and 2?
55. How do I report a bug I found in the game?
56. How do I contact EA Help?
57. Is there a tutorial or something for this site?
58. Wait, I still have questions!

Remember to follow the rules of General Etiquette and be excellent to one another.

I hope you have a great forum experience.

Happy Simming!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited August 2015
    1. Why can’t I post an avatar, post a picture, post a link, send private messages, or use emojis?

As a new member you will not be able to post an avatar, picture, or link or have full access to other board features like private messaging. You are, however, permitted to post comments, start threads, post on walls, and respond to private messages someone else has sent you (although you cannot initiate them).

In order to become a member, you will need to make at least 30 posts, acquire 50 points, and have an account that is at least 24-hours old. Everyone is a considered a new member until they have met these requirements no matter how old the account is. Once you become a full member, you will have full access to board features.

You can check whether your rank is member or new member by looking under your avatar, next to any of your posts.

Read more about membership and membership requirements here.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    2. How do I earn points?

Points are earned by people clicking ‘like’ on your posts or when you reach certain milestones, which result in earning points and badges.

A great place to start earning points and meeting members is in the Introductions thread. You can also check out the various forum games in Off-Topic Chat or simply join any of the conversations in any of the sections that interest you.

You can see how many points you have earned by checking the total on the left column of your profile page.

Point farming, or begging or requesting ‘likes’ or points, is discouraged. So, please don’t do it. The points will come naturally as you keep posting and continuing to use the forums.

You can find out more about earning points and badges here.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    3. What do points do?

Accumulating 50 points allows you to meet one of the requirements for membership and access member benefits like customizing your avatar.

Posts that earn a lot of ‘likes’ or ‘lols’ are also listed on the “Best Of” page, where members can go to see which topics are currently popular or trending. You can find a link to the “Best Of” page at the top of the forum.

Other than that, points simply accumulate on your profile page.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    4. What are badges?

Badges are just little images or icons that are awarded when you reach certain milestones like making your first post. There is a list of badges here, however, not all of these badges have been activated for use on these forums. You can see which badges are available to earn in the Membership Thread.

You can see which badges you’ve earned in the left column of your profile page.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    5. What are badges for?

Not much, really. They are just markers for hitting certain milestones such as receiving 5 ‘lols’ or having been with the forums for a year.

Badges have certain point values attached to them, and earning them will count toward your point total, which can help you earn membership.

You can see which badges you’ve earned in the left column of your profile page.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    6. What’s a ‘like’?

At the bottom of each post is an option for members to ‘like’ another member’s post. You cannot click ‘like’ on your own posts (no matter how much you really do like them :) ). This is a way in which members can show their appreciation of or agreement with what another member has to say. Clicking ‘like’ will grant the poster 1 point.

Please do not ask for ‘likes’ as this is considered point farming and against the rules.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    7. What’s an ‘lol’?

‘LOL’ stands for “laugh out loud”, and there is a button you can click at the bottom of posts to indicate you found the post humorous. Clicking ‘lol’ does not count toward a person’s total point count the way clicking ‘like’ does.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    8. What is ‘promote’?

'Promote' is a special option that Gurus and moderators have to basically 'like' a post. When a member ‘likes’ a post, the person gets one point. When a Guru or moderator 'promotes' a post, it gets 5 pts and moved to the top of the "Best of" page automatically.

This option stopped being used some time ago, which is why it is rare to find a poster with any posts promoted anymore. The ‘Promote’ category still remains on profile pages, however.

You can view which items have been promoted here.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    9. What is the ‘Best Of. . .’ page?

Vanilla forums are designed with the principal of user curation in mind. This is the idea that forum users (rather than moderators and administrators) are able to point other users to the best information available. With that in mind, they have provided a ‘Best Of’ page, where you can find what posts are popular or trending.

Each ‘like’, ‘lol’, or ‘promote’ contributes toward a post’s rank on the 'Best Of' page. Rather than just having an all-time ‘Best Of’ page, the ranking system also factors in the date so that users can follow the current forum trends. So, if you like a post or found it useful or think others will, be sure to like it to let others know about the best content on this site.

You can access the ‘Best Of’ page at the top of your screen.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    10. How do I post a picture?

This site does not store images, so you will need to first upload an image from your computer or another site to an image hosting site. The image hosting site will provide you with a link to the picture you have uploaded and you can copy and paste that link inside of image tags:
    [IMG] http://www.examplelink.jpg [/IMG]

Some of the popular, free imaging sites are Imgur, Photobucket, and TinyPic. For further instructions on how to post using these sites, please see:

Uploading Pictures to TinyPic
    Uploading Pictures to Imgur
    Uploading Pictures to Photobucket

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    11. How do I get a Twitter comment to appear?

If you want to post a comment from the Gurus or someone else from Twitter, simply paste the link. The image of the post will appear when you post the message. For example:

Posting this:
    https://twittter.com/SimGuruSarah/status/621015178847481860

Will produce this:

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    12. When will my comment be approved?

Never. If you got a message that your comment is awaiting approval, you will need to repost your message.

It’s unclear what causes this error and there may be multiple triggers, so try posting again. If your comment still does not go through then these workarounds may help:

1. Comments that contain large images or many images may not go through. You can try:

a. Posting the comment without images and then going back and editing the comment, adding the images back in.
    b. Breaking the message into more than one post and spreading the images out into multiple posts.
    c. Using a photo editor to decrease the image size(s) or quality.

2. There are a couple of websites that have been blocked, and linking to these may cause the error message to appear. Try posting the message again without the links.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    13. How do I change my avatar?

Once you become a full member, you can change your avatar in one of two ways:

1. Go to your profile page and hover your cursor over your avatar until ‘Change Picture’ appears. Click on ‘Change Picture’. In the pop-up window that appears, click ‘Browse’ to browse your computer files and select the image you would like to upload. Click ‘Save’.

OR

2. Click on the cogwheel next to the search bar at the top of the page and select ‘Preferences’. From the left column select ‘Change My Picture’. Click ‘Browse’ to browse your computer files and select the image you would like to upload. Click ‘Save’. The name of your image file will now appear next to the ‘Browse’ button. Click ‘Upload’ to upload the image.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    14. How do I change my username or screen name?

You cannot change your username yourself, however a moderator can change it for you. To have this done, simply send a moderator a private message (PM) with your request. Only *one* username change is permitted per account, so choose wisely.

Note: If you are a new member who cannot send private messages yet, you can leave a message on the moderator’s wall. For this particular request, PMs, however, are preferred if you are able to use this feature.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    15. Who are the moderators?

This is a great mystery of these boards. The moderators can be stealthy, so it’s not always clear, but at this time three of the active moderators are @SimStaffBethelle, @SimStaffGabriel, and @SimStaffJessica.

You can post on their walls or send them a private message if you have concerns or questions regarding the forums, but please be respectful of their time, and realize that it may take a few days for them to get back to you as there are many more members than moderators.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    16. What’s a Sim Guru?

A Sim Guru is an Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) employee. Some Sim Gurus work directly on the game and others in support of it. You can recognize Sim Guru posts by the green stripe at the top of their posts and one of their ’Roles’ on their profile pages will say Sim_Guru.

There is no complete list of Sim Gurus, but you can see who some of them are, as well as their roles, in the Meet the Gurus thread and on their Twitter list of members.

Most of the Gurus do not appear on the forums often, but several of them are active on Twitter and occasionally there are Ask-a-Guru sessions held on the forum which provide opportunities to interact with a number of Gurus.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    17. How do I send a private message (PM)?

A private message (PM) is a message that only you and the recipient(s) can see. You can send a PM in one of two ways:

1. Click on the envelope at the top of the page, near your screen name. Select ‘New Message’ from the drop down box. Fill in the form and click ‘Post Message’.

OR

2. Alternatively, you can go to the profile page of the member who you would like to message and select ’Message’ from the upper right corner. The recipient will be filled in for you using this method, but you can add more (up to 3 total). Type your message and click ‘Post Message’.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    18. How do I ‘friend’ someone?

There is no method to ‘friend’ someone on these boards and no way to create a ‘friends’ list.

However, you can certainly chat with other members in Sim related discussions, Off-Topic Chat, or via PM. You can also friend people and create friends lists in Origin.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    19. What’s an Origin friend?

Origin is the digital distributor of The Sims and other games. An Origin friend is a fellow gamer who also plays The Sims or another Origin game with whom you can chat and see what he or she is playing. To add someone as an Origin friend:
    1. Open Origin and log into your Origin Account.
    2. Go to Friends and select Add A Friend. You can also add a friend right from your Friends List by clicking on Add A Friend in the bottom left corner as well.
    3. However you do so, the Import Friends Wizard will show up. Here is where you can search for friends either by using their Origin ID, real name, and/or email address—or by using a social network like Facebook, Xbox Live, and the PlayStation Network.
    Some people have different screen names on Origin than they have on The Sims Forums, so you may need to find out their Origin names before adding them. More information on Origin friends can be found here.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    20. What is tagging?

Tagging someone is a method of calling another member’s attention to a post by using the format @username.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    21. How do I tag someone?

You can tag someone by typing their screen name with an @ sign in front of it, such as @GreenXen. Using this format will notify him or her of your post (if settings allow) and create a link to his or her profile from the @username tag you created. This is often done to get someone’s attention or as a courtesy to notify him or her that you mentioned him or her or are discussing something relevant to him or her.

If you have been tagged, you will get a gray message box in the bottom left corner of the screen (1) as well as a red notification box (2) on the globe next to your screen name at the top of the page with the number of notifications you have waiting for you. Clicking on the gray message box at the bottom will take you to the message. Clicking on the globe and then selecting the message you wish to view will also take you to the message.

(If you do not wish to receive these types of notifications, you can turn them off by clicking on the cogwheel at the top of the page and selecting preferences and then selecting ‘Notification Preferences’ in the left column and unchecking the boxes next to “Notify me when people mention me.” )

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    22. What about hashtags?

A hashtag is basically a label that makes finding content easier for members. Hashtags are enabled on this site and are used similarly to how they are on Twitter. You can create a hashtag by simply posting a # sign followed by your topic name or keyword(s), such as #ThisIsMySimsVision. This creates a searchable keyword tag that can be used to better find or categorize information as well as a direct link to the hashtag search.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    23. What can I do if someone is harassing or bullying me?

Bullying is against the rules on this forum. If you feel that someone is stalking, harassing, bullying, or otherwise intimidating you or someone else, please report the threatening posts using the ‘Flag’ button at the bottom of a forum or wall post or the ‘Report’ feature at the bottom of a private message and contact a moderator via private message.

You can also use the ‘Ignore’ feature to block members who you find unpleasant or with whom you do not wish to have further contact. Putting someone on ignore will hide all of the user’s posts in the forums and prevent him or her from sending you private messages. Unfortunately it does not keep him or her from posting on your wall. However, you can delete posts on your wall. So, if a post offends you or is not to your liking, please don’t hesitate to delete it.

If someone continues to confront you after you have blocked him or her, please ask him or her to stop posting on your wall. If this doesn’t work, then please report the behavior to a moderator via private message. Please do not attempt to make the confrontation more public than it already is.

Everyone is entitled to a safe forum and gaming experience.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    24. Help! There’s a troll on the loose?

A troll is a term for a person who is being intentionally disruptive on a forum. If you see a post that is offensive or violates the rules please use the ‘Flag’ option at the bottom of the post to report it. Please do not attempt to engage disruptive posters as this tends to encourage their bad behavior and sometimes makes it harder for moderators to clean up the threads when they do attempt to address the problem.

Original posts on walls also have a ‘Flag’ button that you can use to report them, however, replies do not. You can report the original post and indicate that a reply is your reason for reporting the post OR you can click on the member’s name and report the member specifying where and what the rule violation was.

You can also protect yourself immediately from unwanted posts by hovering your cursor over an original post on your wall until an ‘X’ appears in the upper right corner of the post and then clicking on the ‘X’ to delete it. You can erase replies to posts by clicking on the ‘delete’ option at the bottom of the reply.

If a poster has posted multiple violations, you can also simply report the whole profile of the person in question by going to their profile page and clicking on the portrait with the arrow in the upper right corner and choosing ‘Report’.

Remember that you can also put disruptive posters on ‘Ignore’ so that you won’t be subject to their antics.

Return to FAQ list.
    edited August 2015
    25. How do I ignore a poster?

You can opt to ignore a poster in one of two ways:

1. Go to their user profile and select the portrait icon at the top right of the page. Select ignore from the drop down list.

OR

2. You can also add people to your ignore list by going to the cogwheel at the top of the page (next to the search box), selecting preferences, choosing ‘Ignore List’ from the column on the left, and entering a screen name and pressing OK.

Putting someone on ignore will hide their posts from you and prevent them from sending private messages. They will, however, still be able to see what you post.

If you added someone by mistake or later change your mind, you can remove someone from your ignore list by going to the cogwheel at the top of the page (next to the search box), selecting preferences, choosing ‘Ignore List’ from the column on the left, and clicking ‘Unignore’ next to the name of the person you put on your list.

Return to FAQ list.