The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Suggestion for a new script mod file extension

BeeKeepersBeeKeepers Posts: 5 New Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
The use of zip archives for script mods has some flaws. It's too easy for the user to accidentally unzip them, and it's often unclear that they need to remain zipped for the game to read them. The file format itself doesn't make it obvious that it's a packaged mod.

My proposal to the Sims 4 devs: add a new file extension for script mods. It could be .sims4mod, .s4mod, .s4script, or something similar. This would prevent users from accidentally opening and unzipping it, and it'd make it clear that it's a script mod. The actual file format could still be a zip, just renamed. This would let you keep the script mod loading code mostly unchanged, as it'd still be reading from the exact same file format.

Thanks for taking the time to read and consider this.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• ScumbumboScumbumbo Posts: 148 Member
    This is a simply fabulous suggestion. Yes, devs, please consider this simple addition! Obviously we'd still want the .zip extension to continue to function as well, but this will help so much for users to install mods, especially those that have a combination of XML package and a script.
  • BeeKeepersBeeKeepers Posts: 5 New Member
    I just had someone talk to me who wasn't able to install one of my mods because they're on a Mac. They were using Safari, which automatically unzips downloaded files by default. I hadn't really thought about this scenario when I originally posted this thread, but that's one more issue that could be fixed by simply adding a custom file extension.
  • SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    Great suggestion. Will see what we can do, thanks.
    Hi guys. Today's patch (v1.9.80) adds support for the extension ts4script which are treated just like zip files. Let me know how it works for you and I will announce more widely. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Thank you SGMS, the active support for modders in this generation of The Sims continues to impress me.
    Thanks @IngeJones, we enjoy helping you guys out where we can.
  • BeeKeepersBeeKeepers Posts: 5 New Member
    Thank you so much! I'm so thrilled that you added this, I'm sure both script modders and users will appreciate this a ton! :)
    Seems to work just fine. Now we just have to see how the users adapt to it :)

Thanks!!!
    So far, so good. I believe this has reduced the number of "I installed this right, but it doesn't work" questions considerably.

Thanks again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top