Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

More than one computer?

I was wondering if it is possible to install the sims 4 on more than one computer. I have a laptop and a desktop, since you have to have an internet connection to install, will it flag it or reject the second installation? Maybe one of the Guru's can chime in on this, or if anyone has seen this question answered before.

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited August 2014
    I've got it installed (from the preload) on two computers right now (but obviously not activated yet). You just have to use the same Origin login and not be online in Origin on both computers.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,756 Member
    Don't you have to be logged in to play though?
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • mw1234mw1234 Posts: 5,400 Member
    DeadFishy wrote: »

You don't need to be online after the initial download/install. Only online to install and verify the game through Origin in the beginning! :)
    DeadFishy wrote: »

No! Only to initialize your game the first time or to use the Gallery.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,756 Member
    k, cool. Good to know :smile:
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    You can install it on more than one but you can play it on one computer at a time, to play it on more than one computer at the same time would require you to own more than one copy.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited September 2014
    household are permitted to share the same origin account, what that means in practice is only one computer can be log in at one time. so it is important after installing/activating your game that you then while still connected to the internet select offline mode at origin client under origin.
  • zombieghostgirlzombieghostgirl Posts: 419 Member
    Ah. I was wondering this as well. Thanks, everyone.
    I study psychology. I am often observing social interaction and human behavioral patterns which means you are all my lab rats each time you post.
  • Mouse1996Mouse1996 Posts: 269 Member
    So needed this info. Thanks for explaining this.
    ed_zpsyclgaymk.gif
  • JamieWentz21JamieWentz21 Posts: 196 Member
    I have a niece who comes over and plays the sims 3. she plays on my desktop and i play on my laptop at the same time, not sure how The Sims 4 feels about it.
  • jobug1015jobug1015 Posts: 1,854 Member
    I'm not buying 2 copies of the game. My daughter will play sometimes, but it doesn't make sense to have to buy 2 games. We also share books, but I don't buy 2 copies of the same book either. It's not like I'm sharing it with the neighborhood!
    o2vOgnf.jpg?2
  • OceanBlue10OceanBlue10 Posts: 361 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    You can install it on more than one but you can play it on one computer at a time, to play it on more than one computer at the same time would require you to own more than one copy.

The thing is though, If you don't need to be online to play, then why can't you play on two different computers at once?
    I have a niece who comes over and plays the sims 3. she plays on my desktop and i play on my laptop at the same time, not sure how The Sims 4 feels about it.

Just make sure one of the two computers has Origin set offline.
  • dbyrd26dbyrd26 Posts: 28 Member
    I have it preloaded on my pc and my laptop
  • SlyBootsSlyBoots Posts: 559 Member
    I usually share my sims games with my sister who I currently live with, so I'm not too happy about having to be logged into Origin to play because that will mean she's logged into my gallery as well and will be uploading/sharing stuff on my account. Seems silly for us both to have to buy our own copy but I guess this is how it will be from now on to ensure everyone buys their own and doesn't borrow... :disappointed:
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    jennemm75 wrote: »
    I was wondering if it is possible to install the sims 4 on more than one computer. I have a laptop and a desktop, since you have to have an internet connection to install, will it flag it or reject the second installation? Maybe one of the Guru's can chime in on this, or if anyone has seen this question answered before.

Five installs to different PCs. If you want to install after that, you have to contact CS to deactivate one to be used on another PC.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OceanBlue10OceanBlue10 Posts: 361 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    jennemm75 wrote: »

Five installs to different PCs. If you want to install after that, you have to contact CS to deactivate one to be used on another PC.

Aren't installs unlimited? Think that's what they told me when I asked.
    edited September 2014
    SlyBoots wrote: »
    I usually share my sims games with my sister who I currently live with, so I'm not too happy about having to be logged into Origin to play because that will mean she's logged into my gallery as well and will be uploading/sharing stuff on my account. Seems silly for us both to have to buy our own copy but I guess this is how it will be from now on to ensure everyone buys their own and doesn't borrow... :disappointed:

You don't have to be logged in to play; Origin can be offline. Each computer will also have its own Library -- she won't see your Sims on her computer (or on her user on her computer, if you have separate users), because your Sims aren't saved in the cloud until you upload them to the public Gallery -- they're saved locally on your own computer. You'll both be able to access the public Gallery, same as anyone else. (My son and I have been figuring out how it works with the CAS demo, which we've got set up on two computers.)
  • jobug1015jobug1015 Posts: 1,854 Member
    That's also one reason I buy the disk version. I've installed and uninstall TS2 dozens of times on different computers over the years. All of them mine, of course. Laptops, new desktops, uninstalled when TS3 came out, then reinstalled again for nostalgia.
    o2vOgnf.jpg?2
  • Rylene1Rylene1 Posts: 1 New Member
    The computer which I had installed the Sims 4 in, has crashed because of the motherboard, and now I can't use it. When I went to install on a new laptop, Origin told me that the code is already in use
    Rylene1 wrote: »
    The computer which I had installed the Sims 4 in, has crashed because of the motherboard, and now I can't use it. When I went to install on a new laptop, Origin told me that the code is already in use

Are you trying to re-enter the code? You shouldn't need to. Just log into Origin in the same account; Sims 4 will already be registered there.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2015
    Deleted
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Rylene1 wrote: »

Are you trying to re-enter the code? You shouldn't need to. Just log into Origin in the same account; Sims 4 will already be registered there.

What she said ^^^^^^^^
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    It's perfectly possible if they share an origin account.
    Mine is digital and I have installed it on a temporarily in use PC as my other broke so badly I couldn't do an uninstall. Then I plan to do it on the new one I plan to get. So it's perfectly possible. If you own both devices, share an origin account between them (which you probably do) which also means you only need to remember one pass and email.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!