Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- Can my Mac run The Sims 4? Answers can be found here -

BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
I have already posted this on my blog because so many people are asking this question. I'll post it again here:

- If you have a Mac that has an i3, i5 or i7 processor, you should be fine. These are more recent and powerful than the Intel Core 2 Duo stated in the CPU requirements.

- If you have a Mac which has the Intel 3000 or Intel 4000* or Intel 5000 graphics cards, you should be fine. The same goes for the Intel Iris and Iris Pro cards.

- If you have a 13″ MacBook Pro (non-retina) with one of the integrated Intel cards, and it has 384Mb VRAM, you can increase this to 512Mb VRAM by upgrading the system RAM to 8Gb. This will boost your game performance.

- Remember that The Sims 3 runs so appallingly on Macs because EA used Cider to make the game OS X compatible. Your game thinks it’s running in Windows, not OS X. All signs indicate that The Sims 4 will be native to Mac, as The Sims 1 and The Sims 2 were.

- If you’ve Boot Camped your Mac and you can play The Sims 4 well, this is absolutely NO indication of how well the game will play in OS X. Remember, different operating system/different drivers, even though the hardware is the same.

If you have a retina MacBook Pro you cannot upgrade RAM or memory to free up more space. They are sealed units. Well, you can but you need to be technically proficient and it will invalidate any warranty or Applecare you have on the machine. Same goes for some of the more recent iMacs. And has always applied to the MacBook Airs (apart from the first gen. which had a SSD instead of flash memory).

Please remember one very, VERY important thing. No one can say 100% the game will run on your Mac because you may have conflicting software, or your Mac may be in dire need of some basic housekeeping. But if your Mac meets these minimum system requirements then there's a pretty good chance it should work.

Minimum Requirements -
  • Minimum OS – Mac OS X Lion (10.7.5)
  • CPU – Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz or better
  • RAM – At least 4Gb RAM
  • Hard Drive – At least 10Gb of free space with at least 1Gb additional space for custom content
  • Video – NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro or better. Video RAM (VRAM) of 256 MB or better
  • Input – Keyboard and Mouse
  • Online Requirements: Internet Connection required for product activation

Recommended Requirements:
  • Minimum OS – Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9 or later)
  • CPU – Intel Core i5 or better
  • RAM – 8Gb RAM
  • Hard Drive – 12Gb Hard Drive space
  • Video – NVIDIA GTX 650 or better
  • Input – Keyboard and Mouse
  • Online Requirements: Internet Connection required for product activation

- Don't forget that you can only get the game from Origin -

*UPDATE 17.02.15 - Please be aware there are currently issues with the Intel HD 4000 card on Macs. There is a forum thread regarding this, please read it for possible workarounds. EA are aware of this issue.
apple-signature.png
Post edited by BluebellFlora on

Comments

• tyenetyene Posts: 65 Member
    You're a darling, thank you :)
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    You're welcome :) It's really important to remember though that whilst your Mac may meet the minimum requirements, the graphics may have to be set to low and there's no accounting for how well it will fair with the introduction of future EPs. Integrated graphics (all MacBook Airs, 13" MacBook Pros, current entry level 15" MacBook Pro, all Mac minis and entry level 21" iMacs) never perform as well as dedicated graphics.
    apple-signature.png
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    So far Sims 4 has run well on my iMac using Parallels. I haven't had to do any of the basic maintenance I normally would with Sims 2 or 3. It doesn't seem to be the memory hog that Sims 3 is. Well, at least it isn't yet. The game play is a lot like Sims Medieval at this point, but EA seems to be trying to do a major update every month with a smaller patch to fix other problems.

I'll be able to report more on the play on February 17 once I have the game installed on the Mac side. But so far it runs fine.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • MALAiA46MALAiA46 Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited February 2015
    Would it run on an osx lower than the minimum?
    Post edited by MALAiA46 on
    Probably not. The minimum OS required would be Lion (10.7.5). If you are still running an earlier version, you'd probably have to bootcamp your Mac to run both the old OS and a new version.
  • MALAiA46MALAiA46 Posts: 1,436 Member
    Probably not. The minimum OS required would be Lion (10.7.5). If you are still running an earlier version, you'd probably have to bootcamp your Mac to run both the old OS and a new version.

I have snow leopard. I could get mavericks or yosemite but I like the one I have better.
    I got mavericks once but then went to snow leopard again.
    I am still going to try to play it and see.
    If not then I guess i can upgrade.
    Please keep us updated. The game comes out Tuesday.
  • Lettuce GirlLettuce Girl Posts: 10 New Member
    You star. There are lots of things I do know, but specifications is like another language to me. I totally understand you can't say for SURE that it'll be fine, but it looks like it, and with that in mind, I'm happy to give it a go. Thank you :smiley:
  • jessi114jessi114 Posts: 37 Member
    This makes me feel so much better about the mac launch tomorrow. I'm about three weeks out from a PM my techie brother is building me but I simply cannot wait for the sims 4.
  • jessi114jessi114 Posts: 37 Member
    I'm getting off work at 4:30 EST and am going to try and play the game. I figure it's worth a try because I will still have a download available for PC once my gaming PC is ready in a couple weeks. I'll update as soon as I can with if it works or not! I'm hoping for the best!
    jessi114 wrote: »
    I'm getting off work at 4:30 EST and am going to try and play the game. I figure it's worth a try because I will still have a download available for PC once my gaming PC is ready in a couple weeks. I'll update as soon as I can with if it works or not! I'm hoping for the best!

Good luck - let us know how you get on :)

apple-signature.png
  • lilacfaery06lilacfaery06 Posts: 668 Member
    I'm having problems - the sims are all grainy and i cant see their clothes etc

Mac model (late 2013 13" non-Retina MacBook Pro)
    Processor (2.9 GHz Intel Core i7)
    Memory (8 GB RAM)
    Graphics (Intel HD 4000 512mb)
    Operating System (OS X Yosemite 10.8.5)

Official EA DLC/EPs installed: none

Do you have antivirus or clean up apps installed? If so what are they? No

Are you running any background tasks? If so, what are they? No

Do you have any CC/mods installed? If so, what are they? No
    I'm having problems - the sims are all grainy and i cant see their clothes etc

Mac model (late 2013 13" non-Retina MacBook Pro)
    Processor (2.9 GHz Intel Core i7)
    Memory (8 GB RAM)
    Graphics (Intel HD 4000 512mb)
    Operating System (OS X Yosemite 10.8.5)

Official EA DLC/EPs installed: none

Do you have antivirus or clean up apps installed? If so what are they? No

Are you running any background tasks? If so, what are they? No

Do you have any CC/mods installed? If so, what are they? No

It's a known issue, try the workaround in the opening post under Possible Bugs:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/816108/the-sims-4-help-troubleshooting-bug-thread/p1
    apple-signature.png
  • michikorcmichikorc Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi, thanks very much for this quick guide. I'm looking to purchase either Sims 3 or 4, but after reading quite a fair bit on this forum, I'm a little hesitant because of the tech specs of my new MacBook Pro:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
    Processor 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
    RAM 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

And as I've read... the fact that the 13" does not have a true graphics card makes me quite worried that I'm going to blow my money on something that doesn't work well.. even if I have upgraded the RAM and processor. :/
    michikorc wrote: »
    Hi, thanks very much for this quick guide. I'm looking to purchase either Sims 3 or 4, but after reading quite a fair bit on this forum, I'm a little hesitant because of the tech specs of my new MacBook Pro:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
    Processor 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
    RAM 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

And as I've read... the fact that the 13" does not have a true graphics card makes me quite worried that I'm going to blow my money on something that doesn't work well.. even if I have upgraded the RAM and processor. :/

TS3 won't run well on the 13" because it has Intel Iris graphics which aren't supported. They cause issues with the game which make it virtually unplayable. Head over to the TS3 forum and read the stickied Mac Helper's Best Friend thread for more info. TS3 was also a Cider port whereas TS4 is natively written for OS X.

TS4 should run but bear in mind the 13" MBP has dual core processors, not quad core like the 15" MBPs. The only MacBook which has dedicated graphics is the high end 15", all others have integrated including the entry level 15". BUT, loads of Simmers are happily playing on 13" MBPs and even MBAs :)

Depends how much you want to spend, how smooth you want your gameplay to be, how high you want your graphics options to be set at and how future proof you want your machine to be, especially if looking to buy all future EPs and GPs.
    apple-signature.png
  • michikorcmichikorc Posts: 3 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > michikorc wrote: »
    >
    > Hi, thanks very much for this quick guide. I'm looking to purchase either Sims 3 or 4, but after reading quite a fair bit on this forum, I'm a little hesitant because of the tech specs of my new MacBook Pro:
    >
    > MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
    > Processor 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
    > RAM 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    > Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
    >
    > And as I've read... the fact that the 13" does not have a true graphics card makes me quite worried that I'm going to blow my money on something that doesn't work well.. even if I have upgraded the RAM and processor.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > TS3 won't run well on the 13" because it has Intel Iris graphics which aren't supported. They cause issues with the game which make it virtually unplayable. Head over to the TS3 forum and read the stickied Mac Helper's Best Friend thread for more info. TS3 was also a Cider port whereas TS4 is natively written for OS X.
    >
    > TS4 should run but bear in mind the 13" MBP has dual core processors, not quad core like the 15" MBPs. The only MacBook which has dedicated graphics is the high end 15", all others have integrated including the entry level 15". BUT, loads of Simmers are happily playing on 13" MBPs and even MBAs
    >
    > Depends how much you want to spend, how smooth you want your gameplay to be, how high you want your graphics options to be set at and how future proof you want your machine to be, especially if looking to buy all future EPs and GPs.

Thanks very much! :smile: I might be trying out the Mac version of TS2 Super Collection on App Store for starters... I've played with The Sims since TS1 (collected all the expansion packs!) but somehow that interest faded off during college and I sold my TS2 off without trying it out!
  • superkat07superkat07 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi! Wondering if TS4 will work on my Macbook.

Apple Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Processor: 2 GHz Core 2 Duo T7200
    RAM: 1 GB DDR2
    Hard Drive: 160 GB
    Graphics Coprocessor: Intel GMA 950
  • RaindropsRaindrops Posts: 389 Member
    superkat07 wrote: »
    Hi! Wondering if TS4 will work on my Macbook.

Apple Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Processor: 2 GHz Core 2 Duo T7200
    RAM: 1 GB DDR2
    Hard Drive: 160 GB
    Graphics Coprocessor: Intel GMA 950
    No it wont. It doesnt even has enough ram

tumblr_oc39b9Vin11se7bv3o2_r1_500.gif
    You'll have to update your OS to something newer than Snow Leopard. 10.7 at most. However, I would recommend updating to Yosemite as that has all of the latest video card drivers and such and the game is far more stable if run on it.
  • audreydollaudreydoll Posts: 111 New Member
    Just wondering if it would work fine on my mac as well.

OS X Yosemite
    Macbook air 13 inches early 2014
    1,4 GHz Intel Core i5
    4 Go 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphic 5000 1536 Mo

I think it meets the minimum requirements, but it's a macbook air so... I know they weren't meant for gaming.
  • aundi9701aundi9701 Posts: 1 New Member
    I have an older mac and wanted to check to see if anyone has any input. I think it will run fine, but I want to be safe.

MacBook Pro 15in mid 2010
    OS X 10.9.5
    2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
    4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB
    aundi9701 wrote: »
    I have an older mac and wanted to check to see if anyone has any input. I think it will run fine, but I want to be safe.

MacBook Pro 15in mid 2010
    OS X 10.9.5
    2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
    4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB

Well it happily exceeds the recommended requirements. You might like to install more RAM though, not just for TS4 but to give your Mac a boost :) Your MBP can support 8Gb RAM.

apple-signature.png
  • sadeemnazarsadeemnazar Posts: 4 New Member
    I recently purchased the New Macbook, which is the one that came out in april this year with:

Retina display
    12-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology
    2304-by-1440 resolution at 226 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors
    16:10 aspect ratio
    Supported scaled resolutions:
    1440 by 900
    1280 by 800
    1024 by 640
    1.2GHz
    1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache
    Configurable to 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache.
    GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
    512GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage1
    Intel HD Graphics 5300
    Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
    OS X 10.10.3

Is it possible to run the sims 4 plus the expansion packs or not? I have had alot of trouble with sims on past computers and I was finally hoping to be able to play again. If not, can you tell me what would happen if I do run it?

Thanks! :smile:
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited June 2015
    @aundi9701 Im on pc but I thought I would tell you this. People on 200 and 400 series nvidia cards are having issues with this game on pc. Your card is older so what I suggest you do is try the game. Buy the Mac download version from EA you have 24 hours to return it if it does not work

@BlueBellFlora have you seen people with Nvidia 300 series cards on Mac that can play this game? I know on PC its been a problem
    I recently purchased the New Macbook, which is the one that came out in april this year with:

Retina display
    12-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology
    2304-by-1440 resolution at 226 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors
    16:10 aspect ratio
    Supported scaled resolutions:
    1440 by 900
    1280 by 800
    1024 by 640
    1.2GHz
    1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache
    Configurable to 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache.
    GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
    512GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage1
    Intel HD Graphics 5300
    Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
    OS X 10.10.3

Is it possible to run the sims 4 plus the expansion packs or not? I have had alot of trouble with sims on past computers and I was finally hoping to be able to play again. If not, can you tell me what would happen if I do run it?

Thanks! :smile:

The new MacBook has a very low spec. processor and no fan. If you can get the game to run it will most likely fry your Mac after a while due to stresses and heat. The new MacBook is the most underpowered of all Macs, even the MacBook Air is more powerful.

Let us know how you get on though if you decide to install it but honestly, I absolutely would not risk installing it on the MacBook. I've seen articles online where people have installed games but for me it would be too much of a risk.

What Sims games were you playing before and on what computers?

apple-signature.png