Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Testing MOO - Updated 10/21/16

Comments

• Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    edited April 2015
    I have definitely noticed height adjusted objects dropping inside on occasion now, although I hadn't pinpointed a cause. I'll attempt to recreate what you've described. Are either of you seeing the objects that go missing highlighted in yellow when you hover the paint tool over a wall? I ask because when creating/deleting walls is going to cause objects to disappear, it highlights them in yellow, so you can see what's going to go missing (still just as frustrating, but at least you know, and I'm wondering if they're related). Will see for myself soon enough I suppose.

Edit:

Well, I was able to replicate it - both the height dropping and objects disappearing. They do indeed highlight in yellow if you hover the paint style over the wall before actually painting it. With MOO on, my objects disappeared, and one height adjusted object dropped to the ground. With MOO off, I only lost one of the objects (even though they were all highlighted), and there was no change to the height adjusted objects. So yeah, yikes! Best not style your walls with MOO on right now, and even with it off, you might lose something.

MOO on, about to paint a wall:
    paintwallsmooon1_zpsflure8pm.jpg

Results:
    paintwallsmooon2_zpsqsejgten.jpg
    (tough to see but the bookcase that is out away from the wall was height adjusted up and dropped to the ground after painting the wall)

MOO off, about to paint a wall:
    paintwallsmoooff1_zpsuasgrkrw.jpg

Results:
    paintwallsmoooff2_zpscdah40zp.jpg
    (all objects okay except that height adjusted bookcase away from the wall, which disappeared)
    Post edited by BryonyRae on
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    petalbotpetalbot Posts: 1,423 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    I have definitely noticed height adjusted objects dropping inside on occasion now, although I hadn't pinpointed a cause. I'll attempt to recreate what you've described. Are either of you seeing the objects that go missing highlighted in yellow when you hover the paint tool over a wall? I ask because when creating/deleting walls is going to cause objects to disappear, it highlights them in yellow, so you can see what's going to go missing (still just as frustrating, but at least you know, and I'm wondering if they're related). Will see for myself soon enough I suppose.

Yes, I've seen the objects highlighted in yellow as I have hovered the wall covering over a wall.
    sigg.gif

• Options
    CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    In my example, the stuff that disappears (bookcases) do get the yellow highlight, but the stuff that drops (plants) don't. And, like Petalbot said, I've noticed stuff disappearing even when I'm busy with a completely different room. Looks like it's best to turn MOO off when changing wall coverings. Man, I was so happy MOO seemed to behave better after the last patch :D

It kind of reminds me of the pre-MOO days. I remember working on my Temple of Matari which had a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 of shelves for decoration, and changing wall coverings would get rid of shelves, doors and windows. When we got MOO, I was finally able to finish it, because turning MOO on prevented objects from disappearing when changing some things. Now it's the other way around again :p
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
  • Options
    Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    There are definitely a lot more issues now after the patch then there where before. It's so sad and frustrating, they gave us these neat cheats (make larger, lift up and down) on top of MOO only for non of it to work properly. This is why I have stopped building, it's just become too aggravating!
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • Options
    That's interesting, @Cerrydd, if it was happening pre-MOO. I didn't remember that.

@Tiki5872 I'm so sorry you're discouraged to the point where you're no longer building. It is definitely a challenge, because it seems like with every iteration, you have to get used to new quirks. Just when you get used to a methodology that "works" for you, you have to change it. I'm really hoping that the next patch to address MOO will truly stabilize it.

I am still having pretty good success with keeping a sim on the lot while building, turning MOO on *before* going into the lot, and leaving it on throughout the build session (except for this new wall painting issue!), and saving with it on. But I keep a very close eye on everything - every time I complete a segment of work, I look around to make sure stuff's still where it ought to be, and then I save the game.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    BeltanefireBeltanefire Posts: 11 New Member
    I also noticed that things disappear when you put some new walls into a house that was furnished and decorated.
    Even when you do something in the basement, objects on the first floor disappear when you paint or add walls.
    And I also lost objects when I changed the wallpapers. This is really stupid.

Objects that are not really attached to something, are still missing when you re-build a house out of the gallery.
    So sad, because I had so many ideas but can't use them because the objects are gone later. :(
  • Options
    Yes, adding/moving/deleting walls and rooms has been causing a problem for a while. I have found that if you turn MOO off before making structural changes or applying wall styles, you can sometimes prevent or minimize what gets deleted. It's tough for me personally because of how I design - I generally leave wall and floor coverings for last, and I'm usually never 100% on the structure until I'm in the interior decorating phase too. But it is what it is until we get it patched. Having a sim on the lot so you can catch the items popping back into inventory helps.
  • Options
    Well, another patch, so time to run through the issues. Initially, it looks like the problem where objects shift all around when placing lots in build mode with MOO on has been fixed. I am still seeing the original problem of some lighting and other elevated items being shifted when placed on a lot larger than the original lot though. I'll keep the thread posted as I test, and I'd really appreciate it if you guys also report what you're experiencing post patch (good or bad) related to MOO. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Here's my May MOO Test lot. If anyone's available, please download it and place it in your game using the 4 different scenarios:
    1. Build Mode, MOO on
    2. Build Mode, MOO off
    3. Manage Worlds, MOO on
    4. Manage Worlds, MOO off

Let me know your results.

My own test results have been very promising! All of the objects stayed in place (other than elevated objects outside of the "room," which still dropped) and not only that, but enlarged objects stayed enlarged in all modes! :)

• Options
    edited May 2015
    So the following appear to be fixed in the 5/4/15 patch :) :
    • Objects are shifting when builds are placed on certain lots when you are in build mode and turn bb.moveobjects on prior to placement. The problem does not occur if bb.moveobjects is off OR if it was toggled on while in Manage Worlds, prior to entering build mode on the lot. See details on pg. 9.
    • Enlarged objects do not transfer properly when a lot is placed from Manage Worlds. Lot must be placed in Build Mode.
    • Windows MOO'd off wall in the interior have some very funky Z-fighting effects (see pg. 8 for details).

Please let me know if you are still experiencing any of the above post patch.

All other outstanding issues are still there, although it remains to be seen if the game will be more consistent about saving items as we load/build/save. I am quite used to my (mostly safe) cycle of load the game, turn MOO on, build, and save, but I will try to see if objects will all still load with MOO off, and if the lot will be saved properly with it off. Please let me know your experiences with this.

• Options
    sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    Sorry, I'm confused. What is the best way to place a lot that used MOO in it's design? MOO on or off? In build mode or world?
  • Options
    CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    The test lot places the same in every mode, MOO on/off from build/map view! Enlarged items no longer shrink and no MOO mess from objects moving all over the place. The height-adjusted bushes and lamps on the side still drop though, as do the flower boxes (which probably aren't height-adjusted at all?). Pretty good stuff though!

I did notice lots sometimes end up backwards when placing from manage worlds. I always place builds in build mode, so I don't know if this already happened before or not. I didn't test a lot of lots, but Yuma Heights and Slipshod Mesquite show this. It may be something we need to investigate.

The bookcases and height-adjusted plants I posted recently no longer drop, so hopefully less MOO frustrations in the near future :) (though there's now a lamp that for whatever reason dropped in that build... can't win them all :p) I haven't checked to see what happens when we paint a wall yet.
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
  • Options
    @sooozeeebeee Place them in any mode you like now. :)

@Cerrydd Thanks for testing! No, the flower boxes weren't height adjusted, but they drop anyway, which I find ironic. The new one from GTW drops *into* the ground. :p There's a thread out there about the lots placing backwards, and someone had a workaround. If I can track it down, I'll post the link here. The wall painting (and add/move/delete) is still an issue.
  • Options
    So I've been loading with MOO off, turning it on when I need it for placement, and saving with it off, and I haven't lost anything yet. Is anyone else trying this? If so, can you let me know how it's going for you? Thanks.
  • Options
    One thing I wanted to note is that while we can now place lots from Manage Worlds without losing MOO'd objects or reducing enlarged objects, you should be aware that placing lots from Manage Worlds will still reset all lighting colors and intensities to the game default. We have already reported this bug over in the Build Mode Feedback thread, and in testing today, I can confirm that it is still an issue. So if you've done anything special with lighting in a build, I would still recommend telling people to place it in Build Mode.
  • Options
    sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    Thank you! I'm still learning how to use MOO, most by trial and epic fail lol! I think I'm getting the hang of it, but it takes away quite a bit of the fun if creations can not be shared.
  • Options
    Just an update. Objects are still being removed upon occasion when saving/loading games. I have been saving with MOO on and then again with MOO off. When I observe that objects have been moved to household inventory, I have tried reloading with MOO on and MOO off from both saves. So far, it seems to happen regardless of MOO settings.
  • Options
    Ash072Ash072 Posts: 1,324 Member
    @BryonyRae - I want to take the time to thank you for your continued diligence in maintaining this thread and testing MOO for all of us builders out here. I haven't done it yet because I want to see what I can do without it, but I'm probably going to use it for my next build because I can't achieve the effects I want to achieve without it!

Many thanks and much appreciation to all those that keep this thread going and work on the issues!
    5sXtTqH.png
  • Options
    You're very welcome @Ash072! It's a very useful tool, and it is getting more stable as the patching continues.

However, one thing I wanted to note from play testing my current build tonight is that MOO'd objects that cause routing issues seem to have a more severe effect on gameplay now. I've run into situations where something I moo'd was blocking a sim during testing, and in the past, it was as simple as removing/changing the configuration. Now, what's happening is that my sim is freezing when blocked, and even after I've resolved the issue, she remains frozen. Sometimes the resetsim cheat helps, but sometimes it won't even release her. Then if I attempt to exit and reload the game, the game itself hangs, and I have to manually kill it from the Task Manager. Has anyone else noticed this behavior lately? It definitely highlights how important it is to test when you use MOO - would hate to have someone download the build and struggle with this! :o
  • Options
    Small patch today. Judging by the patch notes, it doesn't appear to address anything related to build mode, so I will not be explicitly testing anything on this thread. However, if you notice any changes in MOO related behavior (for good or ill), please post and let me know.
  • Options
    SashasonicSashasonic Posts: 69 Member
    A while back I started to use cc, so I'm not sure if this is the reason.. my problem is; when I go to use the moo cheat on the first press of the numeral button and the whole screen jumps to across the street. If I guess how many times to click it still 'works' lol... (by scrolling back to 'place object') but far too bothersome to use now :/

Hoping someone can help me sort out the issue.
    Thanks,
    Sasha
  • Options
    @Sashasonic it sounds like you've got camera perspectives set up, which is something people do when they want to create a video. If you press CTRL+(any number in the 5-9 range), it sets a vantage point. Then when you hit that number, the camera goes to that position. Since 9 is also used for elevating object height, it can be a pain. Usually it clears the next time you start the game. You might try clearing your cache if that is not the case.
  • Options
    Thanks, @BryonyRae I'll let you know if that works, when I get a chance :)
  • Options
    Ok, have cleared the cache, it's still happening; I do use 'camera perspectives' as a way to move about in 'game play', as I find it easier... although I've always done this, albeit this problem is new. So, am not quite sure what you mean by 'camera perspectives set up'.. I haven't set it up in any way, just use the little 'video' icon and drop down while in game, as I said.. Is there anyway to clear any 'vantage points' if this was made accidentally..? Thanks @BryonyRae
  • Options
    @Sashasonic Try this: Exit the game and go to your /My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/VideoCameraStates folder. Cut and paste the .ini file elsewhere (or you can delete it - the game will recreate it when needed). Now restart the game, and you should no longer have the perspective shifting when you use 9 for height adjustment. Now, whenever you do set up camera viewpoints again, just keep in mind that if you set one with CTRL-9, it will cause the same behavior again.