Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An Obnoxious Psychosausage tests the boundaries of the Sims 4 emotions

Comments

• Options
    ZombifiedDeathEaterZombifiedDeathEater Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2015
    CK213 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but they've been saying things like 'that needs improvement' in response to all kinds of things. I am not really sure if this will change, TBH, because I think when they talk about the Sims emotions they are talking about how awesome it is that players can affect and manipulate their sims emotions to earn goals and achievements. I think it's obvious that they were a lot less concerned with the emotional reactions between the sims themselves. Unfortunately for them, I care a lot more about having my sims act in expected ways toward each other than in manipulating my sims emotions in order to gain stuff. In fact I don't care about doing the latter at all and wish it weren't even in the game.

This whole strategy was a mistake, IMO, and threads like this should illustrate why. When we play this game, we expect our sims to react to each other and to the situations we place them in. I can't help but think all these emotional 'buttons' (like the décor, or flirty cookies, or energizing showers) are actually interfering with the emotional reactions of the sims so they are not behaving as we expect. Since these 'emotional buttons' are part of their vision for this game I don't think they have figured out how to tune this so that sims react more strongly to certain events? Either that, or they just haven't bothered with that level of detail. I guess we'll see if they work on it or just spend time making new content to sell like they primarily did for TS3. (And I like and play TS3, btw, so I'm not bashing just stating an observed fact.)

Anyway, my 2 cents. :)

I absolutely agree with this and have been saying it from the beginning.
    I simply want my sims to react emotionally, logically, and realistically to the situations I put them in, with humor of course. I don't want to have to react to their emotions, or manipulate their emotions, and have it drive my game play.

THIS SO MUCH!!! Alas.. :disappointed: Our sims in The Sims 4 are Stepford-Pleasantville automatons who are giddy 24/7 (Somebody must have spiked the Dev team's cool aide with LSD or some High toxic form of hallucinogens while they were working on the Emotions system.. It's the Only logical conclusion!)

These so called Intelligent sims are cut and dry cookie cutters, exhibiting vapid identities (on the surface they appear to be intuitive. But beneath that.. Deep in their core they are) devoid of any real true persona!!

:no_mouth: .. Even a fly freshly rolled in horse plum has more personality than Those sims supposedly do.. :astonished:
    I melt when I begin to dream
    Silhouette of touching colours
    Sparking energy in azure skies
    Beneath silvery pale moonlight
    Painting with mesmerizing eyes
    Blur between the silent screams
    Memories take form, dancing to life
    Mournful tears, haunting waking dreams

wolf_howling_at_moon.jpg
  • Options
    KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    Oh Mr. Sausages! You're deliciously and delightfully deceitful! And I LOVE you! :)
    giphy.gif

• Options
    Rrriot_KittyRrriot_Kitty Posts: 167 Member
    @EmberDahl - do you think the door and object interaction issues are due to the new GTW EP coming out? Perhaps this patch is preparation for locked doors :confused:

Unfortunately it's been confirmed no locked doors in GTW. :(
    But that they are ''aware we want them‘‘
  • Options
    sawgrass770sawgrass770 Posts: 258 Member
    Just checking the thread for another installment of the Sausage saga as it explores the reality of TS4 emotions. I'll keep fingers crossed and check in again tomorrow. :p
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    Don't you mean unreality? ;)
  • Options
    EmberDahlEmberDahl Posts: 332 Member
    edited March 2015
    Very little chance of that @sawgrass770 me and Mr. S have had to result in full time work instead of freelance now- Ridiculously early starts and getting back late means we are too knackered to do much during the week. It'll have to be a weekend thing from now on.

screen262.jpg
  • Options
    WaterHornetWaterHornet Posts: 352 Member
    This thread made me laugh so hard but for all the wrong reasons! I stopped playing TS4 for...a lot of reasons...but one of the biggies being these Sims are so lifeless and uninteresting. It was annoying in TS3 when the entire lot dropped what they were doing to rush over and openly weep over the death of a stranger but in TS4 I've had Sims drop dead in the middle of a chat with someone and the surviving Sim just walked away without any sort of reaction. At first i thought it was just a little wonk in the game but then "bad" things would keep happening and all my Sims just went on like nothing happened. I don't know...this entire game just makes me frustrated and depressed. There's very little point or reward to ANYTHING. I read the Guru's comment from one of these posts and it said basically "We;re trying to form a plan of attack". This seems like the same kind of SimCity runaround we got a few years back. I don't see many people chatting it up the way we used to with other titles, so I think Get to Work is probably going to be it. And most of the core "features" aren't going to be fixed in any sort of way. I hope I'm wrong but I have this sneaking suspicion...
  • Options
    JenzupJenzup Posts: 1,620 Member
    I think I need a tree to hang all the plums I need to say because of all the disappointment I FEEL about not getting a new Mr. Sausauge episode. Looking forward to the next one.
    :o They listened and gave us toddlers! Thanks Devs your work is appreciated.
  • Options
    CrownedGDCrownedGD Posts: 73 Member
    I'm sorry if you guys have already answered this, but have the SimGuru team responded to this post already or what? It is a very good concern. In Sims 2 I believe that when someone was caught cheating, the Sim would go on and slap the SIm that was cheating. When you are caught cheating on the Sims 4, your sims just kind of wave their arms a bit, and get sad.

Like really… I think it's more accurate to say depend on how high the relationship is, she/he should first get angry, and after that get sad. You know… go through the five stages of grief. (Is it five? I don't know).
  • Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    Lol the adult/teen size chart! Brilliant! That useless gnome has to be good for something right? I'm glad you are finding more ways to make fun of the game instead of just the emotions. Can't wait for the next episode! :D
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
    although it makes me so angry to see how dumb sims still are and do not even react to obvious things around of them, i think your story was awesome! It surely made me laugh out loud for real when mr. sausage was very busy with the third sink :D
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Well only three of the six Sims reacted when one of the Sims caught on fire in my game:
    03-18-15_12-19nbspAM_zpseds1tdn3.png

I had to instruct them to put the Sim out since the Sims 4 had the crazy idea of thinking it was a good idea to take firefighters away. Yeah sprinklers don't work when Sims catch fire outside. XD
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    CrownedGD wrote: »
    I'm sorry if you guys have already answered this, but have the SimGuru team responded to this post already or what? It is a very good concern. In Sims 2 I believe that when someone was caught cheating, the Sim would go on and slap the SIm that was cheating. When you are caught cheating on the Sims 4, your sims just kind of wave their arms a bit, and get sad.

Like really… I think it's more accurate to say depend on how high the relationship is, she/he should first get angry, and after that get sad. You know… go through the five stages of grief. (Is it five? I don't know).

You are very fortunate to have gotten even this much out of your Sims. When I once made a player Sim, I had him invite all of his baby mommas over (most still pregnant) and had them all hang out in the bedroom while he woohoo-ed his latest victim. Nothing. They all then went to the living room and had a nice chat about llamas or toilets or whatever. I was so upset.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Scobre wrote: »
    Well only three of the six Sims reacted when one of the Sims caught on fire in my game:

I had to instruct them to put the Sim out since the Sims 4 had the crazy idea of thinking it was a good idea to take firefighters away. Yeah sprinklers don't work when Sims catch fire outside. XD

anybody remember how sims 2 did fire extinguishers? Your Sim had to run over to where it was on the wall (even assuming your Sim could afford to buy one) and then they slowly made their way to the room with the fire (I'm assuming because the thing was so unwieldy and heavy thats how the sim acted anyway) and then when they were within distance they could use it, talk about being more realistic. Not to mention that it added suspense especially if another sim was in the fire.
  • Options
    mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    Jenzup wrote: »

anybody remember how sims 2 did fire extinguishers? Your Sim had to run over to where it was on the wall (even assuming your Sim could afford to buy one) and then they slowly made their way to the room with the fire (I'm assuming because the thing was so unwieldy and heavy thats how the sim acted anyway) and then when they were within distance they could use it, talk about being more realistic. Not to mention that it added suspense especially if another sim was in the fire.

I...don't remember having to buy a fire extinguisher at all and I've played TS2 very recently. Are you sure that's not a mod you're talking about?
  • Options
    CrownedGDCrownedGD Posts: 73 Member
    > @mortia said:

> You are very fortunate to have gotten even this much out of your Sims. When I once made a player Sim, I had him invite all of his baby mommas over (most still pregnant) and had them all hang out in the bedroom while he woohoo-ed his latest victim. Nothing. They all then went to the living room and had a nice chat about llamas or toilets or whatever. I was so upset.

See that's another thing that annoys me. Why is it that when I send my Sims to "Yell At" or "Insult" another Sims, they go straight into "Chatting with that Sim" with a smile on their face. At least in Sims 3 both of the Sims would be growling at each other. I really really hope they make the Sims more reactive because this is so upsetting. I thought the Sims were supposed to be more intelligent. I mean that's supposedly why they took toddlers out (which I don't really mind that much as long as there is a good tradeoff), because they wanted to "Focus more on making Sims be more alive".
  • Options
    mizuru007 wrote: »

I...don't remember having to buy a fire extinguisher at all and I've played TS2 very recently. Are you sure that's not a mod you're talking about?

Sorry should have been more specific it was a console version, a sims 2 console version. As limited as console versions are they still have some good ideas in them I STILL don't think a computer game of the Sims should EVER be as limited as a console version is (this the impression I get from people's feedback of 4 is that it plays like a console version).

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Sorry should have been more specific it was a console version, a sims 2 console version. As limited as console versions are they still have some good ideas in them I STILL don't think a computer game of the Sims should EVER be as limited as a console version is (this the impression I get from people's feedback of 4 is that it plays like a console version).
    That's cool and no the PC game didn't have that. It did have fire alarms that alerted the firefighters to come over. I guess Sims could carry a baby or toddler out of a house or an apartment if a fire starts: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Fire I guess witches could put out fires in the Sims 2 an 3 and Bonehilda could in the Sims 3. There was a sprinkler system in the Sims 2 as well and hydrobots from Sims 2 OFB could put out fires. But yeah it's sad that there is only one method to put out outdoor fires and if your Sims lives alone, it's game over when they catch on fire.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Love it @EmberDahl <3 Thank you for giving your time to do this :)
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Ooh, can't wait to see what happens next, @EmberDahl !
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    EmberDahl wrote: »
    It will have to be in the morning now though, it's all been captured but I need some sleep- let's just say this problem is one of my pet peeves in the game, and had to see what happened when I exaggerated things.
    By the way, there's no mods apart from clothing, you may have noticed I didn't use many decorations this time, and deleted anything that could interfere with the results- fairly bare walls and only a couple of props to make the grabs more interesting.
    See you tomorrow sausage fans.

Cool, whenever you're ready. It will be interesting to see how it goes. :smile: Thanks for doing this, @EmberDahl .

Get some rest. :)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Very little chance of that @sawgrass770 me and Mr. S have had to result in full time work instead of freelance now- Ridiculously early starts and getting back late means we are too knackered to do much during the week. It'll have to be a weekend thing from now on.

screen262.jpg

Did one of your freelance assignments get you a job offer? If so, I'm not surprised. You're very creative and I'm sure that shows in your real life job! Congrats!

Loved the new update. Can't wait to see part 2. :D

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    q
    Part Eleven : A Change of air

And now... Live from top of the freshly erected Sausage Arena of Death... It's Sausage Tiiiiime, and here's your host.... Mr. Sausaaaaageeeeeeessssssss!!!!

And the crowd goes wild! :p
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1