Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cant connect to the gallery

Hannah707Hannah707 Posts: 20 New Member
edited February 2015 in Mac - Technical Discussions
Hey guys, I'm not able to connect to the gallery. I have been trying to figure out why this is happening to me for hours. Im the administrator on this computer, my firewall is not even on, and I'm connected online with origin.

When i start the game, it says I'm offline and when i try to connect, it takes forever and then says it failed. Being new to mac, i don't know what else it could be or what else i could do. I know on PC you can just right click the sims shortcut and run as administrator, but it won't let me do that on a mac.

Also in settings, i have online access checked on.
Anyone know what to do? Any help is really appreciated!!

Comments

• Ottie24Ottie24 Posts: 47 Member
    > @Hannah707 said:
    > Hey guys, I'm not able to connect to the gallery. I have been trying to figure out why this is happening to me for hours. Im the administrator on this computer, my firewall is not even on, and I'm connected online with origin.
    >
    > When i start the game, it says I'm offline and when i try to connect, it takes forever and then says it failed. Being new to mac, i don't know what else it could be or what else i could do. I know on PC you can just right click the sims shortcut and run as administrator, but it won't let me do that on a mac.
    >
    > Also in settings, i have online access checked on.
    > Anyone know what to do? Any help is really appreciated!!

I'm having the same problem as you I've been trying to connect since the game has launched and I've failed.
  • lissiealissiea Posts: 175 Member
    I've the same problem except mine is intermittent, although the times I can connect are few and far between. I get a "no internet connection" message when I can't connect. I don't have anti-virus on so I'm not sure what's the problem.
  • Hannah707Hannah707 Posts: 20 New Member
    Ok well thats good I'm not the only one! I have strong internet connection so theres no reason i shouldn't be connecting right? I know the other day i got a message saying it was going down for maintenance, but others have been able to access it as of today.
  • Blondie50291Blondie50291 Posts: 97 Member
    Same issue. When it does allow me to connect and i go to the gallery all of the creations have a big red "X" over them stating they cannot "be found". This all happened after the maintenance on origin a few days ago.. Any solutions?
    highfive.gif
    Someone help!!!
    > @Blondie50291 said:
    > Same issue. When it does allow me to connect and i go to the gallery all of the creations have a big red "X" over them stating they cannot "be found". This all happened after the maintenance on origin a few days ago.. Any solutions?

Same thing with me girl :/
  • MrsBritiniMrsBritini Posts: 1 New Member
    > @Blondie50291 said:
    > Same issue. When it does allow me to connect and i go to the gallery all of the creations have a big red "X" over them stating they cannot "be found". This all happened after the maintenance on origin a few days ago.. Any solutions?

This right here. I have been able to 'connect' to the gallery, but I am unable to access any of the creations, either. All with that same big red "X". Very discouraging! I hope someone's coming up with a solution?
  • kellimcflykellimcfly Posts: 10 New Member
    I am also having issues with the gallery, it works fine on the app on my phone, but on my Mac when I go to browse through the gallery it comes up with the red crosses and if I click on something it comes up with "could not locate this item", it's very annoying. I can't even download anything because I will set it to my downloads on my app then go into game and it won't let me download it because of the same issue. :(
  • Blondie50291Blondie50291 Posts: 97 Member
    So I came up with a somewhat solution. If I take out all the cc and then go into the gallery-it works fine. But once I put the cc back in, same problem.. So whenever I want to download anything I'll remove the cc and then just replace it later. Super annoying, but that's my only solution thus far.
    highfive.gif
    In my case, I've noticed that when I'm on the main menu, I can't connect 9 times out of 10. Chances of connection improve when I'm in game. I've no cc.
  • Ottie24Ottie24 Posts: 47 Member
    I have a few CC and I was able to connect to the gallery yesterday from the main menu.
    edited February 2015
    > @Blondie50291 said:
    > So I came up with a somewhat solution. If I take out all the cc and then go into the gallery-it works fine. But once I put the cc back in, same problem.. So whenever I want to download anything I'll remove the cc and then just replace it later. Super annoying, but that's my only solution thus far.

Hmm... this is interesting. I took out all my CC and i was finally able to connect. So does that mean a corrupt file is causing us not to connect?
    Maybe i can pinpoint which ones are responsible.
  • SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    Hi guys, not being able to connect to the gallery can potentially have many causes. But I can confirm that having Custom Content installed can currently cause inability to connect to the gallery. This is another artifact of "ISSUE 3" as described in this thread. We are working on a fix.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Thank you SimGuruModSquad! Will make sure that others know about this.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • gmlastergmlaster Posts: 5 New Member
    Had the same problem. Found two things that can cause this.

1) Bad custom content. For me it was eyes and eyebrows downloaded from The Sims Resource. Took everything out of the Mods folder, replaced all the stuff knew actually worked, tested it, and then I reloaded the remaining files two at a time until I reproduced the problem and identified the toxic package(s). It may not be just one. If you have several packages by the same creator, be sure to test them all. I've found that sometimes, all of a particular creator's files are all toxic. They may work fine on PC so don't pitch them. But for whatever reason, they don't on Mac. I usually hold onto mine just in case a new patch, update or expansion pack fixes the problem.

2) The Origin application has crashed but I didn't realize it, so each time I restarted the game, I still couldn't connect, even though I got rid of the bad content. Shut Origin down, restart it and restart the game. I truly hate having to run Origin to get Sims 4 to work. It just chews up RAM I really could use.

Since then, I make sure to test all new custom content as I install it. That way, I know right away if it's going to be a problem. This used to be a chore with Sims 3 because of the painfully slow load times. But it's a piece of cake with Sims 4. Another thing you can do is to color code new packages as you add them so it's easy to find it again if it causes you trouble. If it works, you can take the color tags off but I usually don't. I tag all my good packages green for "good". New stuff I'm trying for the first time I tag yellow for "Caution". Bad packages I tag red so I know which ones to throw away.
    > @gmlaster said:
    > Since then, I make sure to test all new custom content as I install it. That way, I know right away if it's going to be a problem. This used to be a chore with Sims 3 because of the painfully slow load times. But it's a piece of cake with Sims 4. Another thing you can do is to color code new packages as you add them so it's easy to find it again if it causes you trouble. If it works, you can take the color tags off but I usually don't. I tag all my good packages green for "good". New stuff I'm trying for the first time I tag yellow for "Caution". Bad packages I tag red so I know which ones to throw away.

Using the tags to colour code cc is a really good idea. I never thought of that.
    I know, I'm starting to do the color tags too! great idea!
  • kitnkabootlekitnkabootle Posts: 90 Member
    I can't go online either. Every time I try it says "Could Not Connect". It has NO custom content and is a fresh install.
    > @kitnkabootle said:
    > I can't go online either. Every time I try it says "Could Not Connect". It has NO custom content and is a fresh install.

Make sure you have online access enabled in the settings and that you are connected online in origin too.
  • kitnkabootlekitnkabootle Posts: 90 Member
    It turns out I found the answer to my problem. It was server maintenance, I was just unlucky enough to start playing on my mac the same time they did maintenance
  • GottesfrendeGottesfrende Posts: 47 Member
    I began experiencing this problem tonight. I'm on a Mac... Although Origin is connected, in-game I can't connect to the gallery, etc. I have tried repairing the game (several times) because sometimes after repair the game is grayed out in Origin and won't let me open the game at all. After closing Origin and repairing the game again, it seems fine, but I still can't connect to the gallery.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Have you restarted your Mac? That usually works for me.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • SammehPlzSammehPlz Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm getting this as well for the second time. Last time, I was able to get around it by reducing the number of CC I had in my mods folder (I categorize mine in folders so I'm not sure what the exact number was). I think it's partially related to the older Issue 3, where the game will only load a certain number of package files and you needed a terminal command to get around it.
  • GottesfrendeGottesfrende Posts: 47 Member
    I posted this in another thread, but just in case: I have my game updated to the latest patch, and Origin is updated. I also have all the expansion and stuff packs. That said: After some considerable amount of time testing the game, it appears that the ability to connect in-game is directly linked to the number of CC you have in the game. I cleaned caches on my computer, restarted my computer, repaired the game (several times) and I even put the Electronic Arts folder on my desktop to make the game recreate the folder and then started putting back CC one folder at a time. It was upon doing this that I found that this is the case. I have two folders that combined have about 800+ packages in them. If I just have those two alone in my Mods folder, I can connect. If I put all the others back, and take out the majority of the packages in the other two folders, I also can reconnect (but that is only about 33 items). So, by my calculation, if I go above 1,900 CC items, then I can't connect in-game.
  • SammehPlzSammehPlz Posts: 2 New Member
    I knew there was a magic number somewhere, although I think it dropped some point between patches because I used to be able to connect and I'm at around 2,900 CC items.