Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Intel HD 4000 graphics cards

BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
edited February 2015 in Mac - Technical Discussions
Could Mac users with this card please post about how their game is running and on what settings?

Possible Fix - navigate to Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 and move your Options.ini file to your desktop. Your game will create a new one with the settings set back to Low graphics. Some users are reporting that upgrading their OS to OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 is fixing this issue and they are able to play with some settings on medium.
apple-signature.png
Post edited by BluebellFlora on

Comments

• Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I don't have those particular graphics but I'm using HD 3000 with everything on medium except for Edge smoothing and View Distance. Edge smoothing is low and view distance is high. Oh and I'm using laptop mode and Post Processing Effects turned on. There are a few moments of lagging but overall it runs a lot smoother. Now with CC i don't know about just yet.

I figured if this is all going great for me with a lower graphics card it should be better for someone with a high graphics card.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • TheSimmerOfSimsTheSimmerOfSims Posts: 32 New Member
    I have this issue (which almost everyone who has these graphics seems to have) as soon as I open up CAS the entire sim (other than the face skin) is pixelated and static. It looks like a broken television screen. We looked this issue up and found lots of other people with the same issue and EA seem to be aware of it.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    I have this issue (which almost everyone who has these graphics seems to have) as soon as I open up CAS the entire sim (other than the face skin) is pixelated and static. It looks like a broken television screen. We looked this issue up and found lots of other people with the same issue and EA seem to be aware of it.

Do you have a screenshot you could upload?

apple-signature.png
    EAfan99 wrote: »
    I don't have those particular graphics but I'm using HD 3000 with everything on medium except for Edge smoothing and View Distance. Edge smoothing is low and view distance is high. Oh and I'm using laptop mode and Post Processing Effects turned on. There are a few moments of lagging but overall it runs a lot smoother. Now with CC i don't know about just yet.

I figured if this is all going great for me with a lower graphics card it should be better for someone with a high graphics card.

Good to know the 3000 is working ok - thank you!

apple-signature.png
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member

I also have intel hd 3000 and it is running great on all high settings. I too haven't added cc yet though.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • elinedggelinedgg Posts: 5 New Member
    The first time I launched the game everything was on low and on laptop mode and it worked just fine. Then I turned everything to normal and relaunched the game and it keeps giving me a black screen and freezing at the launch screen.
  • CourfeyracCourfeyrac Posts: 81 Member
    elinedgg wrote: »
    The first time I launched the game everything was on low and on laptop mode and it worked just fine. Then I turned everything to normal and relaunched the game and it keeps giving me a black screen and freezing at the launch screen.

This happened to me too - my settings were defaulted to low and it seemed to work alright. I upped it to low medium and that seemed to work OK too. When I upped it again to medium, weird stuff started happening. I'm trying to relaunch it now to turn the settings down again but it keeps freezing at the main menu so I can't click the options button. I've just tried repairing the game via Origin, I'm hoping that will have defaulted my settings back to low.
    @elinedgg @Courfeyra do you both have the Intel HD 4000 card?
    apple-signature.png
  • seira83seira83 Posts: 100 Member
    > @elinedgg said:
    > The first time I launched the game everything was on low and on laptop mode and it worked just fine. Then I turned everything to normal and relaunched the game and it keeps giving me a black screen and freezing at the launch screen.

Same here. Launched after download, everything ran fine until I increased the graphic settings from low to medium. Now I can't even get the launch screen to show up so I can't even take it back down to Low to see if that would work.

I also have intel hd 3000 and it is running great on all high settings. I too haven't added cc yet though.

Really? What are your specs? I'm tempted to see how well it works for me.
    1FKDfKj.png
    @bluebellflora I have the Intel HD 4000 yes
  • Ottie24Ottie24 Posts: 47 Member
    I have the same graphics card and mines running pretty smoothly. I have everything to set to low medium and I've been testing CC as well and it seems to be running fine.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2011)
    Processor 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Running on yosemite.
    WLfAA9V.png

Memory 4 GB

Running on yosemite.

Oh okay

Macbook Pro (13 inch, Late 2011)
    Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    Ram: 8GB
    Intel HD 3000 512
    1FKDfKj.png

Memory 4 GB

Running on yosemite.

Oh okay

Intel HD 3000 512

Your specs are even better than mine lol. I would try running on high and see how it runs for you. If its laggy just turn them back down.
    WLfAA9V.png
    Thanks everyone.

So if you have this problem, DO NOT change your in-game graphics settings, keep them on the default Low that the game chose. It seems to be happening to all Macs with the Intel HD 4000 card, irrespective of how much RAM they have installed (if you up the RAM on 13" MBPs it ups the VRAM also)
    apple-signature.png

Memory 4 GB

Running on yosemite.

Oh okay

Intel HD 3000 512

Your specs are even better than mine lol. I would try running on high and see how it runs for you. If its laggy just turn them back down.

I tried it and it is better than before! Do you have laptop mode on? I turned off mine and I'm going to see what that's like.

1FKDfKj.png
    I don't mind having to play on low but is there any way that I can reset the video settings without having to go in-game? Because I can't even reach the in-game options right now.

Memory 4 GB

Running on yosemite.

Oh okay

Intel HD 3000 512

I tried it and it is better than before! Do you have laptop mode on? I turned off mine and I'm going to see what that's like.

Yes I do, it helps with the overheating a little. Idk if they fixed it for the mac version, but on bootcamp cc wouldn't show up with laptop mode on. Particularly hair. So keep that in mind if you plan to use it :)
    WLfAA9V.png
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    I don't mind having to play on low but is there any way that I can reset the video settings without having to go in-game? Because I can't even reach the in-game options right now.

Just move the options.ini file in your documents folder to the desktop. That should reset the options.

Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

@elinedgg @Courfeyra do you both have the Intel HD 4000 card?

Yeah, I do.

Memory 4 GB

Running on yosemite.

Oh okay

Intel HD 3000 512

Yes I do, it helps with the overheating a little. Idk if they fixed it for the mac version, but on bootcamp cc wouldn't show up with laptop mode on. Particularly hair. So keep that in mind if you plan to use it :)

Yeah I found out it's best leaving laptop mode on lol
    1FKDfKj.png
    edited February 2015
    crinrict wrote: »

Just move the options.ini file in your documents folder to the desktop. That should reset the options.

Beat me to it! I'm blogging as well because the hits I'm getting are ridiculous with people wanting a solution.
    apple-signature.png
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I'll have to see tomorrow, I don't think my game is coming today. I have Intel 4000 I'll report tomorrow.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
    edited February 2015
    Update: I managed to get back into the game long enough to reach the options menu and switch it back to Low Medium with Edge Smoothing on Medium. It's running well now, a little bit jittery here and there but it's so minor I don't think it's really worthy of being called 'lag'. I'm going to try adding some CC in and see how that affects it!

ETA: I've tried it with a few bits of CC (all CAS stuff) -- some of it is fine but others seem to crash the game when I go to use them. So now I think it's just a case of adding it in bit by bit and weeding out the problematic content.
    Post edited by Courfeyrac on