Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let it die

Comments

• sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    So I've decided I'm no longer going to support this game. I will not be buying any game packs or expansion packs until we get some sort of clarification on toddlers and all things missing. I want some sort of sign of faith or hope about where the future of this game lies before I can even think of spending another dime on this company. But I know deep down we wont ever get that, and even then I still might not.

@SelenaGrey‌ many of us have been campaigning to get us just what you want in a good faith gesture and an apology. Let's hope our persistence and fortitude will win through and get us the respect we deserve ;)

We tried, I know you have had a later disappointment than they rest of us and I'm sad to see they've even alienated you. But if we stand united we can create change!
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited January 2015
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    I think that the reason that you talk about your disappointment as a consumer is to evoke change. That is not going to happen if you sit and do nothing. If you do that, and just settle, you deserve what you get. You also have to keep it on the table so there is no chance of it to be forgotten by EA. EA needs to know what is wrong with the product. The video does a nice job of pointing a good share of those things out. People care about this franchise.

Ok, but then why do people who are disappointed keep coming into threads where we want to talk about what's right with the game and trying to derail them? EA needs to know what is wrong with the product, but EA also needs to know what is right with the product. And what's right for one customer may not be right for another customer. And some discussions we want to have with other Simmers, not just EA. If you want to know why the positive simmers feel ignored, for one thing it is because our threads are constantly being moved to the Feedback section, but we don't see that with the negative feedback threads staying in General Discussion.

You are reading through the threads with blinders on.

Let's call them the satisfied and dissatisfied groups. It sounds a little less inflammatory.

People who are satisfied wander into the dissatisfied threads and dissatisfied people wander into satisfied threads.

Threads on either side have been moved and merged.

There are posters with either frame of mind who try to derail a thread. These are posters who just want chaos not discussion of good or bad.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    Jimil wrote: »
    What's the next thing we should do? Laugh at the upcoming Game Pack sales number? I sure do.

How many sales do you guys think it would have? A couple thousand?

We will never know because it is digital only! :( EA doesn't release digital sale numbers.

Been lurking and liking everything! My finger is just about wore out! ;)
    You all are saying what I would so carry on please. :)
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    I think that the reason that you talk about your disappointment as a consumer is to evoke change. That is not going to happen if you sit and do nothing. If you do that, and just settle, you deserve what you get. You also have to keep it on the table so there is no chance of it to be forgotten by EA. EA needs to know what is wrong with the product. The video does a nice job of pointing a good share of those things out. People care about this franchise.

Ok, but then why do people who are disappointed keep coming into threads where we want to talk about what's right with the game and trying to derail them? EA needs to know what is wrong with the product, but EA also needs to know what is right with the product. And what's right for one customer may not be right for another customer. And some discussions we want to have with other Simmers, not just EA. If you want to know why the positive simmers feel ignored, for one thing it is because our threads are constantly being moved to the Feedback section, but we don't see that with the negative feedback threads staying in General Discussion.

There are people who just want to troll and derail but please do not mix those few up with those who are legitimately trying to have a discussion about their views on the game. Report and ignore them always.

This. So much this.

Trolls played the community like puppets. It's time to stand up and unite against mean behaviour and not allow it to tarnish our relationships with others here.
  • blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    I think it's funny that the same people who argue the game is better off stripped down for low end machines are the same ones who are arguing for the purchase of expansion packs to complete the game. How can people afford these expansions if they can't afford a computer? Computers are expensive, no doubt about that - I custom built mine because I wanted to be able to replace parts individually if something went wrong. For me, it has proven to be a very wallet friendly decision.

My desktop pc is still decent. It's about 5 years old now, it cost me about $450 to build (I watched for sales on parts at my local warehouse and got some rebate forms, the most expensive part was my copy of windows 7 - I waited out the Vista fiasco before building.) It was a middle of the road PC for its time, and runs the sims 3 smoothly without mods. I built it with that purpose in mind. Just before ts4 came out, I upgraded the ram and got a new hard drive and power supply, since my old one was failing. I realize not everyone can build PCs, but it's a pretty common skill for a gamer, and it's pretty common for gamers to know other gamers that could help. I learned from friends and coworkers.

These days I could probably build a more powerful machine than the one I have now for the same price if I shopped around for parts. I realize not everyone has had an easy time with ts3, I've done my share of complete reinstalls. But with mods, it runs much more smoothly even on my laptop than ts4 does.

The open world and CASt were unnecessary casualties, stripped more than likely because of the game's originally intended design as an MMO. The lack of content is just plain shameful, especially since the bugs came from sloppy coding and not the content itself. This is what people mean when they say the game had potential if it had ever been fixed. They're starting to say the same thing about the sims 4, only it has less potential for growth than 3 at the gate.

I've seen MMOs with beautiful open worlds that look better on high end machines but can still be played on lower end. Just because something has the potential to have pristine graphics doesn't necessarily exclude those with more basic computers. The sad thing is, even if I did build a new computer, ts4 wouldn't run any faster, because it is limited by its own engine. I can't understand why they *chose* limitations that clearly weren't actually necessary, especially in a game that is supposedly designed for expansion. This is not the next generation of the sims. It is a step way, way back.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg

This!

So if you don't say 'hey this isn't right' when exactly do EA read your minds? When do they understand the reason they have falling sales is poor decisions which led to it?

So far all we've seen is excuses designed to make us feel sorry for a company. A company. With multi millions behind it. They want us individual customers who don't have money coming out of our ears to invest to feel sorry? Um no.

Don't visit the mistakes on your very loyal customers. It's poor form and exactly the kind of behaviour which led to the 'worst company' awards. Start expecting better of yourselves as a company and having real pride because you are acting with integrity and providing us with real quality for our money.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Quite honestly I don't know how some can feel ignored. You got the game you wanted. Closed worlds, linear, scripted play, no toddlers since they are a bother to many, no cars but simple teleportation inside the home to a community lot, since it took too long for some to watch the car travel across the huge maps in the TS3. No CASt because some felt they spent way too much time in one and didn't have any self control to stop going in to change everything in the game, so they are now happy they aren't tempted. No more rabbit hole buildings to take up all spaces of land in the worlds since some thought they took up too many spaces with the schools and the city hall, etc. No more NPCs since some didn't lie having to call one to come fix their objects. No more gardeners because some complained they didn't want hedges and shrubs to grow wildly since the TS2 and didn't want to ever have to do that and or have that in the game..so they removed all of that and no more gardeners at home. No more burglars because some complained they didn't like their Sims being robbed, so they removed home invasion. No more Repo man since some on the TS3 complained the repo man was annoying and took their stuff. I have a long list of what I saw people complain about and well now you have your perfect game. And biggest of all no more open world since they didn't have the machine to run it, and it was buggy, instead of demanding every day as I did for EA to get off their duff and fix it.

Truth be told, I do miss open world, but I can live without it like I did with Sims 1 and Sims 2. I miss the repairman so my Sims don't electrocute themselves trying to repair a stereo (though electrocution is more difficult in this game). I don't understand why they didn't include the hot tub which was so essential for bringing Sims needs up in Sims 1. And I hope they fix all the bugs, especially the one where a promotion requirement or aspiration requirement is not listed as fulfilled when you have already exceeded the requirements (example: your Sim is Tech Guru level 5 in career, Computer Whiz aspiration says reach Tech Guru level 3 and it doesn't show that goal as fulfilled). But when it comes to the forums is where we feel ignored and marginalized.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

That is subjective.

Ok, name one positive thread that hasn't been subject to a derail attempt and/or moved to Feedback quickly.

It seems you are not understanding what is feedback. Feedback is good and or bad. All good feedback belongs in feedback, along with bad feedback. A discussion about facts of the game is not feedback. This thread is a discussions about the facts. Yes, the OP added his 'feedback' by saying it sux but his facts are correct and can't be denied. The part about he doesn't like it is feedback, however, the facts in his video are facts.

If you make a thread about what you are doing in your game or what your Sim did in the game, then that is not feedback and belongs in the general but the mods are the ones ultimately that finally decide if something is just people arguing or actually having a true discussion about the facts. Or if you are discussing what you are doing in your game and how well it is going which would not be feedback.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    edited January 2015

That is subjective.

Ok, name one positive thread that hasn't been subject to a derail attempt and/or moved to Feedback quickly.

It seems you are not understanding what is feedback. Feedback is good and or bad. All good feedback belongs in feedback, along with bad feedback. A discussion about facts of the game is not feedback. This thread is a discussions about the facts. Yes, the OP added his 'feedback' by saying it sux but his facts are correct and can't be denied. The part about he doesn't like it is feedback, however, the facts in his video are facts.

If you make a thread about what you are doing in your game or what your Sim did in the game, then that is not feedback and belongs in the general but the mods are the ones ultimately that finally decide if something is just people arguing or actually having a true discussion about the facts. Or if you are discussing what you are doing in your game and how well it is going which would not be feedback.

There's also this ridiculous belief among people that when a thread is moved out of "General Discussion" to "Feedback" that EAxis "ZOMG! Trying to kill mah thread! They sent it to the graveyard!"

Which is also not true. It's where it's supposed to be and where it should have been created in the first place.

I swear, I saw someone make the exact same thread about why he loves the Sims 4 THREE TIMES- each time it got moved to Feedback and he would just recreate it in General. Finally, on the forth thread, he put a BS disclaimer about how it's "discussion" among people who love the game (don't even get me started on that) and not feedback...

And then they proceeded to fill it with nothing but feedback...
    ASDF0716 wrote: »

That is subjective.

There's also this ridiculous belief among people that when a thread is moved out of "General Discussion" to "Feedback" that EAxis "ZOMG! Trying to kill mah thread! They sent it to the graveyard!"

Which is also not true. It's where it's supposed to be and where it should have been created in the first place.

I swear, I saw someone make the exact same thread about why he loves the Sims 4 THREE TIMES- each time it got moved to Feedback and he would just recreate it in General. Finally, on the forth thread, he put a BS disclaimer about how it's "discussion" among people who love the game (don't even get me started on that) and not feedback...

And I do believe it's still in general....
    edited January 2015

That is subjective.

Yes, I saw that. A thread with the title and or content of how much a person loves a game is feedback and not a discussion. And yes, I saw the disclaimer. Where as if that person had started a thread about a particular Sim going through it's day and what all he enjoyed as he took it through the day that would be a gameplay discussion. I'm not understanding why they don't know feedback is feedback good or bad.

ETA: Example: I Love the TS4! I love this, that, this, that....belongs in feedback. :|
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    If feedback is a graveyard my family thread must be the walking dead! ;)

Plot twist: the family play thread is a zombie :open_mouth:

Threads die because people stop posting. Scroll down the first few pages of general. Threads here die too and some have way more posts than others. You'll also notice that *certain threads* have about half their replies from the OP, which if I had to speculate, might have had something to do with the thread not getting a whole lot of traffic or bumps, due to disinterest or people having nothing left to say.
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited January 2015
    Let it die? How about just bury the corpse that the gaming stork delivered?

wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • NaydiNaydi Posts: 387 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    Naydi wrote: »
    I think we are working on the assumption that Maxis and The Sims are more important to EA than they actually are. If The Sims started costing EA more than it is bringing in, do not doubt that it will be kicked to the curb without the Executive Suite and the Boardroom batting a single eyelid.

What's Bioware's excuse then?

300+ million for TORtanic.

How about Funcom with Age of Conan?

Both studios are still on the roster and both studios are much more independent than "Maxis." (fancy word for EA)

I was going to say - their problem - EA owns them but they are not EA's own developed games. Which would make a little bit of sense if EA showed some sort of pride in a game they did in fact have to do with it's developement since it started. That is what baffles me the most about the Sims. On top of that they are keen on keeping it one of a kind - something no other company makes - then why not make it the best they can. Have a little bit of pride like humans generally do when they create something from scratch. That is really what makes me scratch my head and ask why.

But I do also fail to see why they took ownership of Bioware which had a pretty fine product from what I have heard and then not continue in that vein is another head scratch-er. The game came already with a good fan base - I just fail to understand either scenario as that is not the way I think. If my name is on something I want it to be the best I can possibly make it and most of all I want others to be thanking me and enjoying what I have done. I personally would be devastated if I put my heart and soul into something and then get remarks like we have been seeing since the game came out. Of course I would hope I would never put out anything unfinished. It is just too hard to fathom just what was EA thinking when you see issue after issue with different games and unhappy fans.

However, that is what happens when a company is swallowed up by a conglomerate. The product is sometimes not so subtly watered down under the guise of modernization, people are reassigned, let go, and missions and visions are changed to follow the big conglomerate line. A small independent company loses its focus and incentive to innovate. Shareholders get a big bonus, consumers are confused, and eventually the product and the remnants of the independent company disappear. Happened to BioWare, too.

This I do for the fun of it.
    • My Sims 4 Blog with Custom Content and Commentary is at Celynoir
    • Get my Custom Content at The Sims 4 Noir and Mod the Sims.
    • More downloads, houses and Sims, are available in the Gallery, under Naydi33.
    I think it's funny that the same people who argue the game is better off stripped down for low end machines are the same ones who are arguing for the purchase of expansion packs to complete the game. How can people afford these expansions if they can't afford a computer? Computers are expensive, no doubt about that - I custom built mine because I wanted to be able to replace parts individually if something went wrong. For me, it has proven to be a very wallet friendly decision.

My desktop pc is still decent. It's about 5 years old now, it cost me about $450 to build (I watched for sales on parts at my local warehouse and got some rebate forms, the most expensive part was my copy of windows 7 - I waited out the Vista fiasco before building.) It was a middle of the road PC for its time, and runs the sims 3 smoothly without mods. I built it with that purpose in mind. Just before ts4 came out, I upgraded the ram and got a new hard drive and power supply, since my old one was failing. I realize not everyone can build PCs, but it's a pretty common skill for a gamer, and it's pretty common for gamers to know other gamers that could help. I learned from friends and coworkers.

These days I could probably build a more powerful machine than the one I have now for the same price if I shopped around for parts. I realize not everyone has had an easy time with ts3, I've done my share of complete reinstalls. But with mods, it runs much more smoothly even on my laptop than ts4 does.

The open world and CASt were unnecessary casualties, stripped more than likely because of the game's originally intended design as an MMO. The lack of content is just plain shameful, especially since the bugs came from sloppy coding and not the content itself. This is what people mean when they say the game had potential if it had ever been fixed. They're starting to say the same thing about the sims 4, only it has less potential for growth than 3 at the gate.

I've seen MMOs with beautiful open worlds that look better on high end machines but can still be played on lower end. Just because something has the potential to have pristine graphics doesn't necessarily exclude those with more basic computers. The sad thing is, even if I did build a new computer, ts4 wouldn't run any faster, because it is limited by its own engine. I can't understand why they *chose* limitations that clearly weren't actually necessary, especially in a game that is supposedly designed for expansion. This is not the next generation of the sims. It is a step way, way back.

I used to be able to build desktop PC's but that was before USB ports in the front of computers became common, and right around the time they were changing from AT motherboards to ATX. But I have a cat, and the way my home is set up, the only inside door in the place that closes is the bathroom door, and I don't have a proper place to build a PC, nor is my knowledge updated. I stopped updating my hardware knowledge around the same time that the price of desktop PCs went so low that it was cheaper to buy a PC than build a PC. So instead I bought new graphics cards and installed them in machines I had bought. Then the recession hit hard and I was unemployed for awhile and unable to afford any kind of new hardware for 2 or 3 years, closed my self-storage unit, and gave up that hobby.

I don't think that mods would make Sims 3 launcher or Sims 3 load any faster on my laptop. The mods don't load until the game is loaded. Once loaded, I get about 15 to 23 fps running Sims 3, which is good enough for me.

I agree its a shame they insisted on using the online shell to develop the new game - it was a mistake. Omitting open world, toddlers, and color wheel were also mistakes. But they have already been made, and are water under the bridge. I'd rather look forward than backward, and am still hopeful they include toddlers someday soon.

I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    An open world IS better. I don't even know why people would take the position that they prefer it to be closed just because some game developing team had problems coding a video game. Plenty of game developers have no problems with putting HUGE open areas in their games and those are games that will still run on a broad spectrum of PC's, so that's not a valid excuse to me either. We sacrificed a ton of control by not having an open world in the sims. How can you honestly say that you don't mind not being able to control multiple sims doing multiple things in multiple areas of town anymore? That you like how it works now better... lol..
    ^THAT!

And to the people who think there will be Sims 5 if Sims 4 fails, well it was Rodiek himself who said quite contrary. I don't have a link at hand right now but I know I am not the only one who has read it.

EDIT: I just googled it and got way over 8.000 matches! So it's all over the internet.
    https://google.de/search?num=30&newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=rodiek+no+sims+5&oq=rodiek+no+sims+5&gs_l=hp.3...1409.8636.0.9012.17.17.0.0.0.0.311.1913.13j2j0j2.17.0.msedr...0...1c.1.60.hp..9.8.929.0.-SeK62LHt7U
    This is old news because the Sims 4 has already sold more than 1.5 million copies and that is even physical DVDs only. So the Sims 4 didn't fail at all even if people stopped buying it now. Therefore there is no reason at all to assume that EA won't start making the Sims 5 in a few months. they almost certainly will.

That doesn't mean that they already will decide all the details about the Sims 5 though because they will review and change details and plans many times as usual before they have the final version of the game. So the reception of the game packs for the new game packs will of course also among other things influence what kind of game the Sims 5 will be. But the game will be designed and unless something unexpected happens it will also be released in something like 2019.

In 4 months time and with massive sales.
    It doesn't matter because the number of digital downloads was high and EA keeps all the money for themselves when they sell a game as a digital download.

I don't know how big EA's income from the Sims 4 has been compared to what they got from the Sims 3. But I do know that compared to all other current games from EA the Sims 4 sales numbers have been extremely good. So there is no chance that EA won't make more Sims games just because a few people in this forum don't like the Sims 4.
  • ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    edited January 2015
    An open world IS better. I don't even know why people would take the position that they prefer it to be closed just because some game developing team had problems coding a video game. Plenty of game developers have no problems with putting HUGE open areas in their games and those are games that will still run on a broad spectrum of PC's, so that's not a valid excuse to me either. We sacrificed a ton of control by not having an open world in the sims. How can you honestly say that you don't mind not being able to control multiple sims doing multiple things in multiple areas of town anymore? That you like how it works now better... lol..
    ^THAT!

And to the people who think there will be Sims 5 if Sims 4 fails, well it was Rodiek himself who said quite contrary. I don't have a link at hand right now but I know I am not the only one who has read it.

EDIT: I just googled it and got way over 8.000 matches! So it's all over the internet.
    https://google.de/search?num=30&newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=rodiek+no+sims+5&oq=rodiek+no+sims+5&gs_l=hp.3...1409.8636.0.9012.17.17.0.0.0.0.311.1913.13j2j0j2.17.0.msedr...0...1c.1.60.hp..9.8.929.0.-SeK62LHt7U
    This is old news because the Sims 4 has already sold more than 1.5 million copies and that is even physical DVDs only. So the Sims 4 didn't fail at all even if people stopped buying it now. Therefore there is no reason at all to assume that EA won't start making the Sims 5 in a few months. they almost certainly will.

That doesn't mean that they already will decide all the details about the Sims 5 though because they will review and change details and plans many times as usual before they have the final version of the game. So the reception of the game packs for the new game packs will of course also among other things influence what kind of game the Sims 5 will be. But the game will be designed and unless something unexpected happens it will also be released in something like 2019.

It doesn't matter because the number of digital downloads was high and EA keeps all the money for themselves when they sell a game as a digital download.

I don't know how big EA's income from the Sims 4 has been compared to what they got from the Sims 3. But I do know that compared to all other current games from EA the Sims 4 sales numbers have been extremely good. So there is no chance that EA won't make more Sims games just because a few people in this forum don't like the Sims 4.

you know all of that... HOW... exactly? Nothing but pure conjecture. If the sales numbers were even moderately good, EA would be screaming it from the top of the frickin' world.

As- for instance- I can't click on a webpage without running into an add for Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I used to be able to build desktop PC's but that was before USB ports in the front of computers became common, and right around the time they were changing from AT motherboards to ATX. But I have a cat, and the way my home is set up, the only inside door in the place that closes is the bathroom door, and I don't have a proper place to build a PC, nor is my knowledge updated. I stopped updating my hardware knowledge around the same time that the price of desktop PCs went so low that it was cheaper to buy a PC than build a PC. So instead I bought new graphics cards and installed them in machines I had bought. Then the recession hit hard and I was unemployed for awhile and unable to afford any kind of new hardware for 2 or 3 years, closed my self-storage unit, and gave up that hobby.

I don't think that mods would make Sims 3 launcher or Sims 3 load any faster on my laptop. The mods don't load until the game is loaded. Once loaded, I get about 15 to 23 fps running Sims 3, which is good enough for me.

I agree its a shame they insisted on using the online shell to develop the new game - it was a mistake. Omitting open world, toddlers, and color wheel were also mistakes. But they have already been made, and are water under the bridge. I'd rather look forward than backward, and am still hopeful they include toddlers someday soon.

Yeah I've been unemployed myself for some time now and I won't be able to afford to rebuild any time soon. I got extremely lucky, as it happens. The components I chose happened to be extremely reliable (not all parts stand the test of time, as we know,) and I only swapped out the ram because it was the last way to really bump up performance at all. I know well that if something else goes wrong, it will mean a full rebuild. But since gaming is my hobby, I will save, and wait, and find my parts xD because everyone needs entertainment and this is mine. The recession hit a lot of people hard but people could do a lot better for their money by building than buying premade. Plus if gaming is your hobby, knowing hardware is so helpful.

About the mods for 3, I thought the same thing about the loading. But somehow it is *much* faster, and I really don't know why, but even starting the game is smooth now. I accidentally messed somethig up so I did a full reinstall with the latest patch, then downloaded all my store content a little at a time, then installed the mods. It's like a whole new world.
    We are lucky the gurus took Ana's ideas for the forum and separated the forum into sections. And brought the Feedback Forum up near the top so people could actually find it. Because originally feedback was way at the bottom of the front page where no one hardly travels.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    ^THAT!

you know all of that... HOW... exactly? Nothing but pure conjecture. If the sales numbers were even moderately good, EA would be screaming it from the top of the frickin' world.

As- for instance- I can't click on a webpage without running into an add for Dragon Age: Inquisition.
    Do you also think that EA won't make more Dragon Age games just because DAI sold a little less than the Sims 4? In EA's financial report from October 28 the Sims 4 was mentioned along with the Madden games to be one of the reasons for EA's huge record earnings in the last few months. So even if you prefer Madden games over the Sims 4 EA will still make more Sims games - that is for sure :)

Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I think we are working on the assumption that Maxis and The Sims are more important to EA than they actually are. If The Sims started costing EA more than it is bringing in, do not doubt that it will be kicked to the curb without the Executive Suite and the Boardroom batting a single eyelid.

What's Bioware's excuse then?

300+ million for TORtanic.

How about Funcom with Age of Conan?

Both studios are still on the roster and both studios are much more independent than "Maxis." (fancy word for EA)

I was going to say - their problem - EA owns them but they are not EA's own developed games. Which would make a little bit of sense if EA showed some sort of pride in a game they did in fact have to do with it's developement since it started. That is what baffles me the most about the Sims. On top of that they are keen on keeping it one of a kind - something no other company makes - then why not make it the best they can. Have a little bit of pride like humans generally do when they create something from scratch. That is really what makes me scratch my head and ask why.

But I do also fail to see why they took ownership of Bioware which had a pretty fine product from what I have heard and then not continue in that vein is another head scratch-er. The game came already with a good fan base - I just fail to understand either scenario as that is not the way I think. If my name is on something I want it to be the best I can possibly make it and most of all I want others to be thanking me and enjoying what I have done. I personally would be devastated if I put my heart and soul into something and then get remarks like we have been seeing since the game came out. Of course I would hope I would never put out anything unfinished. It is just too hard to fathom just what was EA thinking when you see issue after issue with different games and unhappy fans.

However, that is what happens when a company is swallowed up by a conglomerate. The product is sometimes not so subtly watered down under the guise of modernization, people are reassigned, let go, and missions and visions are changed to follow the big conglomerate line. A small independent company loses its focus and incentive to innovate. Shareholders get a big bonus, consumers are confused, and eventually the product and the remnants of the independent company disappear. Happened to BioWare, too.

Now this is truth. It would have been far better had EA taken a role as distributor rather than a role as producer. Maxis made a great foundation in Sims 1 and Sims 2 and EA had an incentive to turn the series into a cash cow then. Now that it is a cash cow, they have much less incentive to innovate. But should we take away their cash cow, they may simply stop producing the Sims series, and I'd rather a "watered down" game than no game. However, I think I will not be an early adopter for Sims 5, but will wait to see what they do with it.

You don't have to use the buggy launcher, you can go into the sims3 folder and launch bypassing it. NRass mods certainly do appear to improve loading times. You should try it for yourself. I only just started modding 3 because I didn't know how or that I could until after 4 came out and I was so upset with it. So I've seen recently the differences it makes.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    ^THAT!

Then why aren't they bragging about the Sims 4 sales? They do brag when things are going well.

Whatever they do next, I hope they take their time and do it properly.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top