Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let it die

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2015
    MAFEBISI wrote: »
    About cars in TS2, they're in the base game. TS4 has cars too, but they are decorations. As the roads, the neighboring houses, the townies, the world, the newborns... :p

You haven't actually played the game, have you? The neighboring houses are interactable, as are the newborns. This makes them more than decorations. And then there's the entrances to the hidden lots...

Seriously? Have you lived in all places in this game? Most of the houses next door are decorative backgrounds. There are more decorative fake houses in the game than actual livable lots. I'm surprised you have not noticed.

ETA: Objects are interactive. The babies are objects, you can't put Sims in inventory, but you can the baby and crib. That makes it an interactive object. Other objects are décor, with no animations or Bhavs, but the baby in game is an object because it goes in inventory.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MAFEBISIMAFEBISI Posts: 160 Member
    edited January 2015
    MAFEBISI wrote: »
    About cars in TS2, they're in the base game. TS4 has cars too, but they are decorations. As the roads, the neighboring houses, the townies, the world, the newborns... :p

You haven't actually played the game, have you? The neighboring houses are interactable, as are the newborns. This makes them more than decorations. And then there's the entrances to the hidden lots...

Yes, i played, i guess. And yes, the neighboring houses are decorations. The interactive ones maybe not, but the others, yes. EDIT: ALL houses out of the red square are decorations.
    14656044339_ce59a33605_z.jpg
    Anavastia wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Open world in Sims series IMHO is superior to a closed world, you start to feel disconnected waiting for a screen to load and with so much cut from Sims 4 it is just as bad. I feel limited and sure you got emotions Whoop Whoop itty doo I guess that makes it a game. Even if it is a base game It is a game that does not have that pizazz that makes you never want to stop playing. I feel even with the EPs and GPs you still have limits again due to what was cut out. I played it less than 80 hours and now do not even open it no more. Glad it did not make the list for GOTY or worth mentioning.

Sims 4 is not Sims 3. I have played my game 67 hours and am still not tired of it. I do however, tend to play it like a casual game, only up to 4 hours at a time. It doesn't have enough content *yet* for me to want to play it much longer than that unless I am focusing on skilling up my Sims, working on their aspirations or getting them promoted at work (yes, there are some bugs in the promotion system that I believe EA will fix, hopefully with the next patch). Once I get enough CC objects in my game, building and furnishing lots will be something I would like to focus on, once there is a neighborhood with empty lots left to build on. These won't be for the gallery however due to the CC. I am not a "family player", I don't generally do legacies. In fact, I usually turn off aging in my game. I am still exploring the possibilities with the emotions system (just recently had a sim make Flaming Spaghetti- the animations while eating it are hilarious), and differences in Sims with different Sims 4 traits.

Did you feel the same way about 'The Sims', The Sims 2, and or The Sims 3? I'm just curious why those who say they really love it and or like it a whole bunch, find it lacking, but has potential. I'm really wondering did you not want to get out of bed and get to your PC as fast as you could with the other games either? I did, I had a hard time making myself cut off the PC and go on to work sometimes in the earlier games. lol I have even stayed up way past my bedtime, (and I'm an adult) way up into the wee hours because I wanted to play the other base games. This one just doesn't have that zing that keeps a player that involved, and comparing it to the other bases, then one has to ask, why not? What content are we talking about? I don't think we are talking about 'objects' lol, but the gameplay itself is very redundant, repeats itself, and not very challenging because of again, no failure in the game and things like slot popping. As far as a life simulator have you wondered why you don't play it for ten, twelve hours? I would guess it has nothing to do with object missing from the game.

I never owned the base game alone in the past. I always had to wait until at least one expansion pack came out for the game before I could financially afford it. Sims 1, my play was always interrupted by my parents since I still lived with them then. Sims 1 base game in some ways was more lacking than Sims 4 base game, but it was all novel and new since there had never been a Sims game before, so it was fascinating to play, and became even more so as expansion packs and custom content came out.

Sims 2 base game had new features like toddlers and aging and aspirations/fears and updated graphics, with cutscenes in some cases. This was all new features, so it was fun to explore the new features. They "left out" from Sims 2 base game the stuff that was in Sims 1 expansion packs, and people complained about that, but if Maxis had started developing Sims 2 years earlier they wouldn't have had the updated graphics. Celebrities and fame (Superstar from Sims 1) never were reintroduced to sims 2.

Sims 3 base game left out stuff that was in Sims 2 expansion packs, but introduced new features like open world and CASt and color wheel. The aspirations/fears system was replaced with a different wants system, and some people complained about that. Most of the stuff that was in Sims 2 expansion packs was later reintroduced in Sims 3 expansion packs, with the exception of a vacation neighborhood that actually let your Sims relax and enjoy the sights, and a Sasquatch character.

While I am concerned that they haven't put toddlers and cars back into the game when they were in Sims 3 base game, I believe these can be added later, like they later added the young adult life stage in Sims 2 University, and like they added cars in Sims 2 Nightlife, and like they added pools and ghosts and 2 careers for Sims 4 in patches. The Simgurus won't confirm any of this or make statements about it because they cannot discuss future content, but this is my opinion of what I think is still coming.

I think it's a pipe dream. It's never going to happen. Think of this how does a Sim get in a car when they disappear inside their houses to show up on another lot. Not all Sims in the TS4 actually walk out of the houses to go to work or community lots. Some actually can just teleport from the bathroom or anywhere in the house. That's never going to happen. I will bet money on it. And if it does then it's not going to work very well for the Sims who use the phone and just automatically get a loading screen. (It's in his video above). It happens in my game all the time, so nope cars are never going to be in this game. And toddler are never going to be in this game. Now, if EA wants to prove me wrong I challenge them to do so...proof it, EA.

ETA: You are missing one big amount of data, the framework for this game will not support cars. They were in the base of the TS2 and TS3. This game engine with the loading screens the way they are will not support cars.

Cars were actually not in the base game of TS2. They were added later in Sims 2 Nightlife expansion pack. Now whether the coding for them was hidden in the base game of TS2 I do not know.

Why do you keep denying the cars were not in the base of TS2. Blews just gave you a long list of what autos and types were in the base of the TS2. Drivable cars for our playable Sims were not in the base but the frame work for them for the NL EP was laid in the base game because all other Sims could drive...the townie service Sims and the carpool drivers. The framework was created in the base. You don't see this in the TS4 framework. Cars are not going to happen in this game, ever. And if they do it's not going to be even as well done as the TS2 ownable car.

Actually the coding to drive them where base game as well because drivable cars where suppose to be a base game feature. However ended up being released with the first expansions. Those who didn't have the expansion could still drive them, because if you remember the dev's later released on the exchange the cars and garage parts for players. So infact driving cars was a base game function.

Yes, I forgot they gave those without the EP downloadable, drivable cars. I can't understand why anyone would keep saying cars are not in the TS2 base when the maid, the gardener, the police, the repair guy and a bunch of others drive them onto your lots in the TS2. Just arguing I think for the sake of debate.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Open world in Sims series IMHO is superior to a closed world, you start to feel disconnected waiting for a screen to load and with so much cut from Sims 4 it is just as bad. I feel limited and sure you got emotions Whoop Whoop itty doo I guess that makes it a game. Even if it is a base game It is a game that does not have that pizazz that makes you never want to stop playing. I feel even with the EPs and GPs you still have limits again due to what was cut out. I played it less than 80 hours and now do not even open it no more. Glad it did not make the list for GOTY or worth mentioning.

Sims 4 is not Sims 3. I have played my game 67 hours and am still not tired of it. I do however, tend to play it like a casual game, only up to 4 hours at a time. It doesn't have enough content *yet* for me to want to play it much longer than that unless I am focusing on skilling up my Sims, working on their aspirations or getting them promoted at work (yes, there are some bugs in the promotion system that I believe EA will fix, hopefully with the next patch). Once I get enough CC objects in my game, building and furnishing lots will be something I would like to focus on, once there is a neighborhood with empty lots left to build on. These won't be for the gallery however due to the CC. I am not a "family player", I don't generally do legacies. In fact, I usually turn off aging in my game. I am still exploring the possibilities with the emotions system (just recently had a sim make Flaming Spaghetti- the animations while eating it are hilarious), and differences in Sims with different Sims 4 traits.

Did you feel the same way about 'The Sims', The Sims 2, and or The Sims 3? I'm just curious why those who say they really love it and or like it a whole bunch, find it lacking, but has potential. I'm really wondering did you not want to get out of bed and get to your PC as fast as you could with the other games either? I did, I had a hard time making myself cut off the PC and go on to work sometimes in the earlier games. lol I have even stayed up way past my bedtime, (and I'm an adult) way up into the wee hours because I wanted to play the other base games. This one just doesn't have that zing that keeps a player that involved, and comparing it to the other bases, then one has to ask, why not? What content are we talking about? I don't think we are talking about 'objects' lol, but the gameplay itself is very redundant, repeats itself, and not very challenging because of again, no failure in the game and things like slot popping. As far as a life simulator have you wondered why you don't play it for ten, twelve hours? I would guess it has nothing to do with object missing from the game.

I've never sat and played any game for ten, twelve hours as I do have a life outside of my PC B)
    With TS2 I would play for a few hours at a time..4 hours at the most. TS3 no. I went back to TS2 for 2 years before I could even get completely interested in TS3. I was bored out of my mind with the Sims 3 base game in a few days after release. Sims 3...the worlds were gorgeous but for me that was it. The Sims themselves really did nothing for me and had to have a crap load of CC to make them look even half decent, in my opinion.

I'm more about the Sims than the world and I am so glad that they've gone back to that in TS4. There are some things that are lacking, yes, but I have not become bored at all yet. I'm a family player and I play the way I want to play. It doesn't feel redundant or grindy to me. But that's just me. Others feel differently obviously. Although it would be nice if people would just accept that people do like the game and not have to interrogate them and make them justify why.

Yup they're more about the sims alright let's cut out everything that makes it a sims game and tell everyone it's about the sims? This feels less about the sims games.

I'm all for focusing on the simulation game from sims 2 that helped create the connective play that sims 3 lacked. However sims 4 doesn't even add in that play, it's stripped it down to the bare bones. Frankly we don't need a load screen to get that kind of development anyway you can do it with an open world. You certainly can connect the maps for travel in open world you don't need lot to lot load screens to do that either. It's up to dev's to code in connective play. Making the animations, interactions, and little tidbits that comes with time and work not rushing products. Sims 4 still lacks quite a lot even in the sims make up. They still are just a shell of a sim as they've been for sims 3 now with the emotions out of wack and that's not even complete they look even more robotic. Even now you have less options to customize their personality and looks not more. Explain to me how gutting the game means they've focused more on the sims because i really just don't see it.

Everyone keeps saying this but i can't for the life of me see how sims 4 is a good sims game at all, let alone bring back the depth and detail that sims 2 possessed or even the innovative play that three brought. I'm a family player and i can't see how cutting out 2 entire life stages is bring family play to date. Baby's as objects is not progress for my type of play not one bit. I don't mind that people like the game, that's fine i have a problem when people that like the game don't want people who dislike it to get the things back they loved about sims. To many people, sims is more than just about the Young Adult virtual people that EA wants to keep focusing this game on.

Frankly if you can accept why we dislike the game and not interrogate us every single time we make a point or topic, we can get some where as well. Not everyone plays the sims game the same obviously we have people here still trying to chase those who dislike the game off, It's said numerous times by so many people that most of us remain because we want dev's to change the game to how we like it as well. If that can't be understood than it's just going back and forth and no one is actually trying to understand or listen.

So what if it's not sims 3 you play your game 67 hours i can't p lay it at all, which means 0 hours in it. So because you can play and i just can't because it's boring it's justified in moving backwards in progress? No. Load screens aren't the save all of the series and certainly didn't fix the problems of crashing and latency for many users. The game lacks even more what sims 3 provides yet it's suppose to run smoother? It doesn't even do that. it wasn't the problem in sim 3 in the first place. So what the game is not sims 3 it certainly isn't a good sims game period for many people. That's the point. While it satisfies a handful of people those people alone aren't willing to spend the millions need to keep the sims franchise going.

Than by all means EA should be designing a game all their fans want not a handful of fans. Otherwise regardless if you like this game or not if it can support it's own franchise it'll die whether we want it to or not. Everyone here can play this game how they want to provided ea is willing to ensure it runs smoothly and take the time to code it. Open world is not the problem and loading screens are not a valid excuse to solve it.

The bugs should and probably will be fixed. Keep bringing the bugs to EA's attention in the Technical section. I find in terms of running more smoothly, Sims 4 starts up MUCH faster, and doesn't have the graphics bugs I experienced when I first played Sims 3 for the first time. (Once I updated my graphics card drivers on the laptop I was playing Sims 3 on, those bugs went away.) I think it was probably just technically impossible to have Sims able to visit other neighborhoods and have open world with a large number of lots. I think they design their games so that the majority of players can play it, not just a vocal minority who have lots of funds to buy fancy high end computers. Let's face it, there are more people in the United States who earn less than $30k per year than those who earn more than that. The numbers grow as CEOs cut staff so that they can pay themselves more. With more people earning less, it means that they cannot afford fancy computers with fancy graphics cards. Heck, I went to an online computer store (Tiger Direct) to see if I could compare graphics card specs between the computers and none of their computer listings listed what graphics card the computer had. So I went to another computer store (Best Buy) and same thing. A third store (New Egg) and guess what? Same thing.

So I looked into gaming computer desktops, and started reading the reviews for them. One of the computers reviews said the power supply was insufficient. I don't know how to replace power supplies, so it would've been pointless to get that computer. Other gaming desktops were costing around $2k. I don't know about you, but if you make less than $30k per year, that is too much to spend to get a new computer just to play one game.

No first off i've been a customer since sims 1 like yourself and I know well enough NOT to believe the bugs will be fixed. I'm still waiting to this date for bugs in sims 3 to be fixed do you think i'll believe hands down they same exact developers will fix them for 4? So please try that line on someone else. If they weren't addressed before release im not about to way 6 years in for them to never be addressed so those bugs make a huge difference in appeal.

My sims 3 game starts up faster, my sims 2 game starts up faster, my sims one game starts up faster. Starting up faster isn't a legit reason for me to spend 70 dollars on a game that decided to strip down it's features to the nitty gritty just so it can run faster. Running faster doesn't add back in good gameplay. So we can also hang that up too. It's not a legit reason to sell a game that is incomplete at release.

It was not technically impossible im going to tell you way. Twallan at Nraas made a mod to connect the neighborhoods so that you could move between them. You see the simple fact is, it was never the open world that was the problem it was always how the game was coded and designed. So gain an invalid point. The worlds can connect for open world, there's no excuse not to have it. Frankly let's take a look at the majority because while sims 1, 2, and 3 at release had 1million and over people buying it. Sims 4 had around 400,000 people buying it. The vocal majority do not feel the just because the game can run smoothly they should have to buy a stripped game. Where are the other 800,000 people that usually support the sims releases at launch, protesting and upset with this game because regardless the whole let's strip everything so the game can run for again the less group is not boosting sales for the rest of us who expect a better game.

sorry to say but even a 300 dollar computer now adays run's a 64bit os and quad core there is no reason to to say that people who make less than 30k a year can't get a decent computer when they're spending like 500 to 600 dollars and upgraded consoles and many of them have two count it two per house. Another not legit excuse to gut the game. So that being said if you can afford to buy a 500 dollar console you can afford to upgrade your pc to proper specs to play game, still not going to fly with me on why this game was gutted so that 1. it doesn't even run smoother, 2. It posses way less gameplay and content than every before.

You make false assumptions. The last console I bought was a Playstation 2, which cost about $150. I never bought the Playstation 3, nor do I plan to get the Playstation 4. I've never owned an XBox or a Wii. Consoles cost too much money, and are obsolete too soon. Heck, I don't even own a smartphone to run games and surf the internet on. The tablet I have was a gift. Even my television is a tube TV that is in the process of going out of order. If consoles are the thing, the thing for EA to do is release console versions of the Sims 4. Is it any wonder that the Sims 4 is like a console game in some ways if so many people own consoles? Finally, I don't think the game was gutted, it just isn't fleshed out with expansion packs and patches yet.

What do you think EPs will bring to this game? Rule out toddlers and cars on the get go, what do you think EPs will add to the actual Sim in this base? I don't see them adding much at all other than a few more places to go, but when they get there you know what they are going to do? They are going to go over and talk and talk and talk though their social is full. The concept of the TS4 is no longer about what is motivating the Sim in this game...because the motives no longer matter. Therefore they have put all the focus on the emotion of the Sim, that is supposed to be what is motivating the Sim to do anything in this game. Does that sound about right? Well, even that is lame because even that doesn't pan out. Just pay attention next time. Is the emotion they are supposedly having motivating them to do what they are doing? Not really, it's just canned animations.

OK, there are flaws in the artificial intelligence, but Sims 1 definitely had flaws in the artificial intelligence too. You just had to learn to control your sims more closely, and if you don't want them talking the ears off of other sims, just cancel out the action and make them do something else. They may talk while they're doing something else, but at least they will also be doing whatever else you wanted them to do. Besides, if they don't talk to other Sims, how will they develop friends? It would be nice however if EA made a movie theatre venue where Watch Movie was an interaction that excluded talking to other sims. At the same time, if it didn't exclude talking to other Sims we could LOL at them for being annoying to other sims during the movie.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited January 2015
    You make false assumptions. The last console I bought was a Playstation 2, which cost about $150. I never bought the Playstation 3, nor do I plan to get the Playstation 4. I've never owned an XBox or a Wii. Consoles cost too much money, and are obsolete too soon. Heck, I don't even own a smartphone to run games and surf the internet on. The tablet I have was a gift. Even my television is a tube TV that is in the process of going out of order. If consoles are the thing, the thing for EA to do is release console versions of the Sims 4. Is it any wonder that the Sims 4 is like a console game in some ways if so many people own consoles? Finally, I don't think the game was gutted, it just isn't fleshed out with expansion packs and patches yet.

Well, I guess it's a matter of perspective then. The review sees TS4 as 'extremely limited' and you see it as 'full of potential'. Fair enough. However, the problem is TS4 was priced as a full game.

I remember at a restaurant I was charged $8 for a glass of mineral water. I was shocked at the price, but at least the glass was full, so I didn't have to think about it... I just drank it. For this game, the price was rather shocking even before we started to learn about the all the missing (or potential... however you want to word it) features. And instead of receiving a full playable high priced game we get less than half of one! If I had gotten a half of glass of water for $8, whether I thought of it as half-full or half-empty, I'd have been livid and if the glass I was drinking from was cracked and leaking--even more so. Bear in mind the bugs in TS4 have made it analogous to a cracked and leaking (or down right shattered) glass for some of us players--sims and hoods are corrupted and in some cases entirely unplayable!

Let's just change two points in the argument so that we don't argue over our points of view:

TS4 su cks because the base game is full of potential.

Even I can agree with you here on the premise, but it doesn't change the review's conclusion.

I've never sat and played any game for ten, twelve hours as I do have a life outside of my PC B)
    With TS2 I would play for a few hours at a time..4 hours at the most. TS3 no. I went back to TS2 for 2 years before I could even get completely interested in TS3. I was bored out of my mind with the Sims 3 base game in a few days after release. Sims 3...the worlds were gorgeous but for me that was it. The Sims themselves really did nothing for me and had to have a crap load of CC to make them look even half decent, in my opinion.

I'm more about the Sims than the world and I am so glad that they've gone back to that in TS4. There are some things that are lacking, yes, but I have not become bored at all yet. I'm a family player and I play the way I want to play. It doesn't feel redundant or grindy to me. But that's just me. Others feel differently obviously. Although it would be nice if people would just accept that people do like the game and not have to interrogate them and make them justify why.

Yup they're more about the sims alright let's cut out everything that makes it a sims game and tell everyone it's about the sims? This feels less about the sims games.

I'm all for focusing on the simulation game from sims 2 that helped create the connective play that sims 3 lacked. However sims 4 doesn't even add in that play, it's stripped it down to the bare bones. Frankly we don't need a load screen to get that kind of development anyway you can do it with an open world. You certainly can connect the maps for travel in open world you don't need lot to lot load screens to do that either. It's up to dev's to code in connective play. Making the animations, interactions, and little tidbits that comes with time and work not rushing products. Sims 4 still lacks quite a lot even in the sims make up. They still are just a shell of a sim as they've been for sims 3 now with the emotions out of wack and that's not even complete they look even more robotic. Even now you have less options to customize their personality and looks not more. Explain to me how gutting the game means they've focused more on the sims because i really just don't see it.

Everyone keeps saying this but i can't for the life of me see how sims 4 is a good sims game at all, let alone bring back the depth and detail that sims 2 possessed or even the innovative play that three brought. I'm a family player and i can't see how cutting out 2 entire life stages is bring family play to date. Baby's as objects is not progress for my type of play not one bit. I don't mind that people like the game, that's fine i have a problem when people that like the game don't want people who dislike it to get the things back they loved about sims. To many people, sims is more than just about the Young Adult virtual people that EA wants to keep focusing this game on.

Frankly if you can accept why we dislike the game and not interrogate us every single time we make a point or topic, we can get some where as well. Not everyone plays the sims game the same obviously we have people here still trying to chase those who dislike the game off, It's said numerous times by so many people that most of us remain because we want dev's to change the game to how we like it as well. If that can't be understood than it's just going back and forth and no one is actually trying to understand or listen.

So what if it's not sims 3 you play your game 67 hours i can't p lay it at all, which means 0 hours in it. So because you can play and i just can't because it's boring it's justified in moving backwards in progress? No. Load screens aren't the save all of the series and certainly didn't fix the problems of crashing and latency for many users. The game lacks even more what sims 3 provides yet it's suppose to run smoother? It doesn't even do that. it wasn't the problem in sim 3 in the first place. So what the game is not sims 3 it certainly isn't a good sims game period for many people. That's the point. While it satisfies a handful of people those people alone aren't willing to spend the millions need to keep the sims franchise going.

Than by all means EA should be designing a game all their fans want not a handful of fans. Otherwise regardless if you like this game or not if it can support it's own franchise it'll die whether we want it to or not. Everyone here can play this game how they want to provided ea is willing to ensure it runs smoothly and take the time to code it. Open world is not the problem and loading screens are not a valid excuse to solve it.

The bugs should and probably will be fixed. Keep bringing the bugs to EA's attention in the Technical section. I find in terms of running more smoothly, Sims 4 starts up MUCH faster, and doesn't have the graphics bugs I experienced when I first played Sims 3 for the first time. (Once I updated my graphics card drivers on the laptop I was playing Sims 3 on, those bugs went away.) I think it was probably just technically impossible to have Sims able to visit other neighborhoods and have open world with a large number of lots. I think they design their games so that the majority of players can play it, not just a vocal minority who have lots of funds to buy fancy high end computers. Let's face it, there are more people in the United States who earn less than $30k per year than those who earn more than that. The numbers grow as CEOs cut staff so that they can pay themselves more. With more people earning less, it means that they cannot afford fancy computers with fancy graphics cards. Heck, I went to an online computer store (Tiger Direct) to see if I could compare graphics card specs between the computers and none of their computer listings listed what graphics card the computer had. So I went to another computer store (Best Buy) and same thing. A third store (New Egg) and guess what? Same thing.

So I looked into gaming computer desktops, and started reading the reviews for them. One of the computers reviews said the power supply was insufficient. I don't know how to replace power supplies, so it would've been pointless to get that computer. Other gaming desktops were costing around $2k. I don't know about you, but if you make less than $30k per year, that is too much to spend to get a new computer just to play one game.

No first off i've been a customer since sims 1 like yourself and I know well enough NOT to believe the bugs will be fixed. I'm still waiting to this date for bugs in sims 3 to be fixed do you think i'll believe hands down they same exact developers will fix them for 4? So please try that line on someone else. If they weren't addressed before release im not about to way 6 years in for them to never be addressed so those bugs make a huge difference in appeal.

My sims 3 game starts up faster, my sims 2 game starts up faster, my sims one game starts up faster. Starting up faster isn't a legit reason for me to spend 70 dollars on a game that decided to strip down it's features to the nitty gritty just so it can run faster. Running faster doesn't add back in good gameplay. So we can also hang that up too. It's not a legit reason to sell a game that is incomplete at release.

It was not technically impossible im going to tell you way. Twallan at Nraas made a mod to connect the neighborhoods so that you could move between them. You see the simple fact is, it was never the open world that was the problem it was always how the game was coded and designed. So gain an invalid point. The worlds can connect for open world, there's no excuse not to have it. Frankly let's take a look at the majority because while sims 1, 2, and 3 at release had 1million and over people buying it. Sims 4 had around 400,000 people buying it. The vocal majority do not feel the just because the game can run smoothly they should have to buy a stripped game. Where are the other 800,000 people that usually support the sims releases at launch, protesting and upset with this game because regardless the whole let's strip everything so the game can run for again the less group is not boosting sales for the rest of us who expect a better game.

sorry to say but even a 300 dollar computer now adays run's a 64bit os and quad core there is no reason to to say that people who make less than 30k a year can't get a decent computer when they're spending like 500 to 600 dollars and upgraded consoles and many of them have two count it two per house. Another not legit excuse to gut the game. So that being said if you can afford to buy a 500 dollar console you can afford to upgrade your pc to proper specs to play game, still not going to fly with me on why this game was gutted so that 1. it doesn't even run smoother, 2. It posses way less gameplay and content than every before.

No i don't make false assumptions you are basing your facts on yourself but not on the majority of gamers especially casual ones. You said that people in the us who make 30,k a year can't afford to get the pc specs they need. That's false. Just because you don't fall into that majority doesn't mean that most of the gaming base that fall well below the united states poverty line are still buying 500 to 600 dollar consoles. Many of them own a car, smart phone, cable tv, at least two consoles and a pc. So you're under a false pretense that people with low end machines use them because they're poor and can't get another one. They learn to scrimp and save up and look for deals but they do get these things and upgrade them, if they're spending 70 dollars a pop on games and expansion after buying a game ever month just saving that money you can purchase a decent pc so I'm really not tryiing to hear it. Majority of gamers can afford to keep up to date.

That's what gutted means the game is gutted and it shouldn't need expansions packs to make it feel complete. You just verified in every way for me the game is gutted. The game should be complete without the expansions packs, that should only be add on content. Period.

Scrimping and saving up means not buying the game at release, because the PC has to be bought first. One reason I was able to buy this game at release was because it didn't require a machine with higher specs than mine. That's why I waited until the game requirements specs came out to buy. Otherwise I would've waited a couple years to buy the game. There's a big difference between $70 and $2000, so no, if you can afford to buy the base game at release it doesn't mean you can afford a high end PC. If the expansions come out every month, I will probably start waiting to buy them, just like I waited to acquire store content for Sims 3.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
    edited January 2015

What do you think EPs will bring to this game? Rule out toddlers and cars on the get go, what do you think EPs will add to the actual Sim in this base? I don't see them adding much at all other than a few more places to go, but when they get there you know what they are going to do? They are going to go over and talk and talk and talk though their social is full. The concept of the TS4 is no longer about what is motivating the Sim in this game...because the motives no longer matter. Therefore they have put all the focus on the emotion of the Sim, that is supposed to be what is motivating the Sim to do anything in this game. Does that sound about right? Well, even that is lame because even that doesn't pan out. Just pay attention next time. Is the emotion they are supposedly having motivating them to do what they are doing? Not really, it's just canned animations.

OK, there are flaws in the artificial intelligence, but Sims 1 definitely had flaws in the artificial intelligence too. You just had to learn to control your sims more closely, and if you don't want them talking the ears off of other sims, just cancel out the action and make them do something else. They may talk while they're doing something else, but at least they will also be doing whatever else you wanted them to do. Besides, if they don't talk to other Sims, how will they develop friends? It would be nice however if EA made a movie theatre venue where Watch Movie was an interaction that excluded talking to other sims. At the same time, if it didn't exclude talking to other Sims we could LOL at them for being annoying to other sims during the movie.

But wouldn't you agree since this is the 'fourth' installment the artificial intelligence isn't all that considering it's fifteen years later? And wouldn't you agree sometimes, more than not, that multitasking is actually hindering some players? Wouldn't you agree that just like the over population of vamps and celebs before they finally listened to players in the TS3 to turn those off (we couldn't for years) they went overboard with the multitasking/talking? I mean I don't think you enjoy your Sims moving from chair to chair when they were seated right beside someone at the dining table but felt the need to move again. Lol...just as before it's all overkill and though it's a good concept, was it really worth throwing out the old games and buying a new one? Not hardly.
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited January 2015

Sims 1 is a game made 15 years ago. Of course the ai is going to have flaws. 15 years later the ai should not be having the same mistakes it did of the past point blank. Im with Cinebar what is an already gutted game going to bring in expansions because if EA is expecting me to buy base game content in an expansion they've got it so wrong right now. They should hope any player buys the base game let alone think an expansions. The base game has to be complete and appealing first, why would i be interested in an expansion if i don't like the base game? Does that even make sense to market your game. Well my base game isn't that good but you'll love my expansions. What kind of backwards thinking is that....

• vcosleyvcosley Posts: 880 Member
    This video speaks the truth in my OP. After playing or trying to play for a month I gave up. That was a wasted 60 bucks
  • cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    Sure, make the game an open world with insane requirements and I'll be stuck with TS3 (and hundreds of thousands of others too) Not saying i don't like TS3 but its fun to try something new. I am actually happy they posted low requirements, sorry for people who wanted the requirements to be a 1GB card and a Core i5 but not all people have those kind of computers ;)
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
    cale2003 wrote: »
    Sure, make the game an open world with insane requirements and I'll be stuck with TS3 (and hundreds of thousands of others too) Not saying i don't like TS3 but its fun to try something new. I am actually happy they posted low requirements, sorry for people who wanted the requirements to be a 1GB card and a Core i5 but not all people have those kind of computers ;)

Well, they could of at least made the neighborhoods fully open (no house loading screens) I'm sure even toasters from five years ago could handle that
    PC Specs:
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    6685561181.png

But wouldn't you agree since this is the 'fourth' installment the artificial intelligence isn't all that considering it's fifteen years later? And wouldn't you agree sometimes, more than not, that multitasking is actually hindering some players? Wouldn't you agree that just like the over population of vamps and celebs before they finally listened to players in the TS3 to turn those off (we couldn't for years) they went overboard with the multitasking/talking? I mean I don't think you enjoy your Sims moving from chair to chair when they were seated right beside someone at the dining table but felt the need to move again. Lol...just as before it's all overkill and though it's a good concept, was it really worth throwing out the old games and buying a new one? Not hardly.

I never experienced the overpopulation of vamps and celebs in TS3 because I waited to buy that expansion pack so I didn't get it until the bugs with overpopulation were already worked out. If you want overkill though, I think they definitely did overkill on the zombies in TS3, and they never did give us an option to turn them off (unless you count the peashooter plants - advertising for Plants vs Zombies naturally). The thing is, multitasking is a new feature, one I like (I always had trouble getting the Social need up for my sims in Sims 1 and sims 3), and I think it is so hardwired into the game that it would take a lot of coding to allow it to be turned off by some players. The musical chairs thing is a known issue that I hope they fix, and I think they will tone that down.
    TBH I am getting a little bored of the game....I think the new GP might get me actually playing and not just letting my Sims do whatever they want.
    PC Specs:
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    6685561181.png

Well, they could of at least made the neighborhoods fully open (no house loading screens) I'm sure even toasters from five years ago could handle that

I don't want to fight with anyone so please do not reply if you're going to also, I'm just stating my opinion on the specs matter :)
    PC Specs:
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    6685561181.png

Well, I guess it's a matter of perspective then. The review sees TS4 as 'extremely limited' and you see it as 'full of potential'. Fair enough. However, the problem is TS4 was priced as a full game.

I remember at a restaurant I was charged $8 for a glass of mineral water. I was shocked at the price, but at least the glass was full, so I didn't have to think about it... I just drank it. For this game, the price was rather shocking even before we started to learn about the all the missing (or potential... however you want to word it) features. And instead of receiving a full playable high priced game we get less than half of one! If I had gotten a half of glass of water for $8, whether I thought of it as half-full or half-empty, I'd have been livid and if the glass I was drinking from was cracked and leaking--even more so. Bear in mind the bugs in TS4 have made it analogous to a cracked and leaking (or down right shattered) glass for some of us players--sims and hoods are corrupted and in some cases entirely unplayable!

Let's just change two points in the argument so that we don't argue over our points of view:

Even I can agree with you here on the premise, but it doesn't change the review's conclusion.

Supposing that glass of mineral water had been served in a tiny goblet? Even if the goblet was full, would you still think of it as full? As to the bugs, those are part of the price of being early adopters of technology. No game in history was ever perfect. While the game is still being developed and improved, there is still hope that these bugs will be fixed. You may say that the game was released too early and rushed, but think of Duke Nukem Forever. They said it would be released "when it is done". Consider how many years that took because of constant improvements in graphics cards and so on.
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited January 2015
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    An open world IS better. I don't even know why people would take the position that they prefer it to be closed just because some game developing team had problems coding a video game. Plenty of game developers have no problems with putting HUGE open areas in their games and those are games that will still run on a broad spectrum of PC's, so that's not a valid excuse to me either. We sacrificed a ton of control by not having an open world in the sims. How can you honestly say that you don't mind not being able to control multiple sims doing multiple things in multiple areas of town anymore? That you like how it works now better... lol..
    ^THAT!

And to the people who think there will be Sims 5 if Sims 4 fails, well it was Rodiek himself who said quite contrary. I don't have a link at hand right now but I know I am not the only one who has read it.

EDIT: I just googled it and got way over 8.000 matches! So it's all over the internet.
    https://google.de/search?num=30&newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=rodiek+no+sims+5&oq=rodiek+no+sims+5&gs_l=hp.3...1409.8636.0.9012.17.17.0.0.0.0.311.1913.13j2j0j2.17.0.msedr...0...1c.1.60.hp..9.8.929.0.-SeK62LHt7U

This space is for rent.
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member

This just isn't true either. Graphic requirements can be adjusted for majority of video games now since 2000, no reason why they can't be today, where low and high end can play them. NO reason for the game not to have 32bit and 64 bit os when majority of games offer both as well. You don't need a beast of a computer to play an open world game, not even if that game has higher graphic capabilities do you need it. Just not necessary to think this way.

We have software advancments that go with hardware diversity there is just no legit excuse to have loading screens for each and every lot. A few loading screens that don't break up gameplay is fine and no game is without having to load. However a game so stripped down and with so little connective play seriously your going to break player immersion and the game isn't even running much.

I've seen games that have lower requirements and offer way more in gaming and innovation. It's just not necessary for a sims game or developers to do this.

Really the only excuse they have is well we only had a 1.5 years to make the game so this is what we came up with. Fine i can accept that, however dont' think that i should pay full price for a side game. Sims 4 biggest problem is that it's labeled sims 4. If had been Something like Sims reload or the Urbz 2 and a side game while i wait for a good main series than i'd probably would have supported it as i always support the side games. However it's not a side game it's projected as the main series and for that my standards in quality remain the same. i have requirements as to what a 70 dollar game should be and what a base game should provide. Sims 4 did not meet those standards that i have of a main game at all. No excuse that dev's are trying to feed us am i going to even give a pardon too. It's my money they want then like many of the consumers on this website they should look into providing better.

This just isn't true either. Graphic requirements can be adjusted for majority of video games now since 2000, no reason why they can't be today, where low and high end can play them. NO reason for the game not to have 32bit and 64 bit os when majority of games offer both as well. You don't need a beast of a computer to play an open world game, not even if that game has higher graphic capabilities do you need it. Just not necessary to think this way.

We have software advancments that go with hardware diversity there is just no legit excuse to have loading screens for each and every lot. A few loading screens that don't break up gameplay is fine and no game is without having to load. However a game so stripped down and with so little connective play seriously your going to break player immersion and the game isn't even running much.

I've seen games that have lower requirements and offer way more in gaming and innovation. It's just not necessary for a sims game or developers to do this.

Really the only excuse they have is well we only had a 1.5 years to make the game so this is what we came up with. Fine i can accept that, however dont' think that i should pay full price for a side game. Sims 4 biggest problem is that it's labeled sims 4. If had been Something like Sims reload or the Urbz 2 and a side game while i wait for a good main series than i'd probably would have supported it as i always support the side games. However it's not a side game it's projected as the main series and for that my standards in quality remain the same. i have requirements as to what a 70 dollar game should be and what a base game should provide. Sims 4 did not meet those standards that i have of a main game at all. No excuse that dev's are trying to feed us am i going to even give a pardon too. It's my money they want then like many of the consumers on this website they should look into providing better.

Yes they should of just made the individual neighborhoods load screen free or like you said games run on open world and can run on low end pcs, just make it open world.
    PC Specs:
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    6685561181.png
  • MAFEBISIMAFEBISI Posts: 160 Member
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    An open world IS better. I don't even know why people would take the position that they prefer it to be closed just because some game developing team had problems coding a video game. Plenty of game developers have no problems with putting HUGE open areas in their games and those are games that will still run on a broad spectrum of PC's, so that's not a valid excuse to me either. We sacrificed a ton of control by not having an open world in the sims. How can you honestly say that you don't mind not being able to control multiple sims doing multiple things in multiple areas of town anymore? That you like how it works now better... lol..
    ^THAT!

And to the people who think there will be Sims 5 if Sims 4 fails, well it was Rodiek himself who said quite contrary. I don't have a link at hand right now but I know I am not the only one who has read it.

And you believe that? If The Sims will over, Maxis will not last just with SimCity. SimCity sold less than expected when released, but they released the "Buildit" for smartphones. What he said was a "trick" to make us buy The Sims 4. #Waiting4TheSims5
  • JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Potential is just an illusion. A very hopeful illusion. It's nothing when the truth is out there waiting for you to finally understand. They can't keep us holding on to this game for long. Because guess what? Welcome to the real world! Where companies fail to please their customers. But this company, however, is putting the blame on us.
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited January 2015

Supposing that glass of mineral water had been served in a tiny goblet? Even if the goblet was full, would you still think of it as full? As to the bugs, those are part of the price of being early adopters of technology. No game in history was ever perfect. While the game is still being developed and improved, there is still hope that these bugs will be fixed. You may say that the game was released too early and rushed, but think of Duke Nukem Forever. They said it would be released "when it is done". Consider how many years that took because of constant improvements in graphics cards and so on.

If it were served to the brim in a tiny goblet, and if the amount were the same then it wouldn't be full of potential--it would be limited as the review insists. Again no matter how you look at this, the premise is the same: TS4 lacks customisation and content and the argument about the devs being lazy isn't even one for debate as the devs have said themselves in this very forum that they made choices like slot popping (instead of immersive animations like TS2) that they figured players would adjust to because it was easier to code. You call this potential. I understand your point of view and say that this is why TS4 su cks.

I agree with your early adopter comment. Even though I only play the sims this is the first time I was ever an early adopter and I will never ever ever do that again--including for TS5. The reason TS4 didn't perform in sales the same way its predecessors did is most likely because the buyers of TS3 adopted the same attitude I have now after being bogged in bugs (which were never fixed). This does not bode well for future iterations if EA keeps driving away its fans who are willing to be early adopters.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I already addressed that in Bon's thread regarding EA vs Zynga. Copied from that thread.

All claims and counterclaims were dropped by both sides and dismissed without prejudice, meaning that it could not be revisited. Both sides paid their own legal fees. It is a interesting court case. Basically a 3 part battle. The problem is it sets no real value for legal precedence of any kind.
  • ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    Watched the video and I agree. I keep forgetting how awful the map is on the game - it's just horrible. It's so evident that this game was designed, built and managed for online only - and that's why it is the way it is.

This is where EA has no excuses. They wanted to keep in budget and cut their losses on the wasted online development - they should have delayed it way longer, I'd say until early 2015 so they could actually bring us what we expected, which was a vanilla base game relaunch. This whole launch has been embarrassing.

I think much of the frustration comes from the failed potential. Admittedly, I did not like the glossy over "bloom" stylzed graphics when they were first revealed, however - I do love the look of the finalyzed product, with the right graphic settings and set up (from what I can see). I love that "Pixar" look of the game. The other added note I don't think the team gets credit for enough is the beauty of build mode - and despite the pure stupidity of the town map itself, the specialized decor, FX effects whatever it is that makes each neighborhood unique is awesome, and I love that each "neighborhood" is rendered in high detail - better if the blur is turned off (which I feel is a feature for lower end machine).

They have corrected the pools/ghost issues. Next they really need to -

1) Improve that town map. Stop it. Sims 1 looks better. STOP IT.
    2) The teleporting - over it. Hello? 2014. Cars and enable that mass transit. Sims 2 style cars that drive through their loaded neighborhood, loading screen upon the edge in route to the destination selected, and continue to drive through the next loaded neighborhood until arrival. So, how Sims 2 treated a car and a lot, I'd like to see the "neighborhood" control the car.
    3) Customization improvements
    4) Toddlers clearly, which should already be in development.

My own thing - I feel like the 4 above speaks for most people, but my biggest grip is the loss of Rabbit Holes. They took that completely wrong, or they - well let's be serious folks - they couldn't finish the base game prior to release so lets be real. LOL They just cut it out, but I hate that Sims just teleport to work. I loved knowing where in town my Sim was going to work. It's one of my favorite things about Sims 3 - some argue that they limited adding careers to the game. I disagree - and would love to see getting them back in a work related EP. I'd also think making these lots module using those concept "block" objects such as playgrounds used in the common areas used as a building tool. For instance, say Sims 4 Pets comes out and theres a new vet career, you could "add a module" (a la SimCity) to the exiting base related field.

Those are my big things right now that I hate. Theres a lot I love. Still hate the hair.

Looking forward to the future though.

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    ^THAT!

EDIT: I just googled it and got way over 8.000 matches! So it's all over the internet.
    https://google.de/search?num=30&newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=rodiek+no+sims+5&oq=rodiek+no+sims+5&gs_l=hp.3...1409.8636.0.9012.17.17.0.0.0.0.311.1913.13j2j0j2.17.0.msedr...0...1c.1.60.hp..9.8.929.0.-SeK62LHt7U
    This is old news because the Sims 4 has already sold more than 1.5 million copies and that is even physical DVDs only. So the Sims 4 didn't fail at all even if people stopped buying it now. Therefore there is no reason at all to assume that EA won't start making the Sims 5 in a few months. they almost certainly will.

That doesn't mean that they already will decide all the details about the Sims 5 though because they will review and change details and plans many times as usual before they have the final version of the game. So the reception of the game packs for the new game packs will of course also among other things influence what kind of game the Sims 5 will be. But the game will be designed and unless something unexpected happens it will also be released in something like 2019.

• CrazycatldyCrazycatldy Posts: 4,588 Member

If it were served to the brim in a tiny goblet, and if the amount were the same then it wouldn't be full of potential--it would be limited as the review insists. Again no matter how you look at this, the premise is the same: TS4 lacks customisation and content and the argument about the devs being lazy isn't even one for debate as the devs have said themselves in this very forum that they made choices like slot popping (instead of immersive animations like TS2) that they figured players would adjust to because it was easier to code. You call this potential. I understand your point of view and say that this is why TS4 su cks.

I agree with your early adopter comment. Even though I only play the sims this is the first time I was ever an early adopter and I will never ever ever do that again--including for TS5. The reason TS4 didn't perform in sales the same way its predecessors did is most likely because the buyers of TS3 adopted the same attitude I have now after being bogged in bugs (which were never fixed). This does not bode well for future iterations if EA keeps driving away its fans who are willing to be early adopters.

I had to Google slot popping because I had no idea what that meant. The very top thing in Google was a thread you started about slot popping. :D
    I noticed slot popping right away and it was only one of many things that bother me in this game.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top