Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Roomies: Rules for a new challenge/experience

CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
Here's a new challenge, a twist on ISBI (I'm Surrounded By Idiots) yet without the legacy aspect of the game.

1. Choose a Sim to be your First Person Narrator (FPN). This is the one Sim that you can directly control during the game.

2. Move this Sim to a big empty lot (any empty lot will do).

3. Before you begin building or buying a house, move in 7 roomies. These can be from the gallery or from "Manage Household." Move in singles, so that the household total is the equivalent of 160,000 Simoleans minus the cost of the lot.

4. Buy or build a house (preferably with room for all!).

5. Gameplay: The goal of the game is to keep your household Sims (including the FPN) happy, healthy, and as fulfilled as possible.

a. Set the lifespan to Long, in order to give you plenty of time to develop skills and relationships and other aspects of a fulfilled and happy life.

b. You can only directly control the FPN, with the following exceptions:
  • You can click on each household member to get that Sim a job.
  • You can assign a bed to each member by clicking on them to have them sleep in a specific bed.
  • You can give them make-overs and have them change clothes at will.
  • You can click on a household member to purchase any aspiration rewards which that Sim may have earned. The only aspiration rewards that are off-limits to any Sim in this game is the anti-aging potion.

c. You can click each household member to see what his or her whims, aspirations, and needs are. You cannot fulfill those by controlling the Sim. Household members' whims, aspirations, and needs can only be fulfilled autonomously or through the influence and persuasion of the FPN.

d. The house must be full at all times. If a household member dies, you must replace the member with another Sim.

e. If the FPN wants to move in a signficant other and have or adopt a child, you can move out household members to make room for the FPN's new family. This is the only time you can move out household members

6. The game is over when the FPN dies. The anti-aging potion isn't allowed in this game.

7. Prologue: If you want, you can play a prologue game in order to build the FPN's skill level and academic performance up to a realistic level. (It's always annoyed me that young adults come directly out of CAS with no skills--I mean, most young adults in real life will be at level 5 or above in several skills and may even be close to maxing out a few! So the prologue allows you to take a child or teen Sim and develop that Sim into the FPN you want to play. In playing the prologue, you may "motherlode" or "kaching" to bring the home-of-origin up to an appropriate socio-economic background for your Sim. In the prologue, you are still limited to controlling only the FPN, except in cases that threaten life, limb, and household functioning. (You can have an adult fix the toilet.) You can also control another household member if needed in order to fulfill the FPN's aspiration (such as reading to the child for 3 hours).

If playing a Sim-self in the prologue, aim at skill level and academic performance that match your own accomplishments as a child and teen.

You can age-up at your discretion in the prologue.

---

That covers all the rules/guidelines that I've thought of so far. What have I missed? Feel free to add suggestions, revisions, and additions. I haven't even touched upon scoring, so suggestions in that are welcome, too!
Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
Post edited by CathyTea on

Comments

• capturedmusecapturedmuse Posts: 300 Member
    @_@ seems fun but hard!
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    I don't think it should be *too* hard--not as hard as a legacy, because you only have to worry about playing one Sim, and you don't have to have babies, and you don't start out poor. The challenge will be to keep everybody happy and healthy.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • cully_ccully_c Posts: 655 Member
    Sounds good. Like the Asylum challenge of Sims 3 and I enjoyed that one!
  • PurplebutterflyPurplebutterfly Posts: 158 Member
    I like this challenge but I'm not that great of a builder, are there houses created with 8 bedroom suites for this challenge? I could try to make one, but don't wan to if I don't have to
    @Purplebutterfly Yes, I found a great house! I forget what it's called, but I searched for Victorians. I found a great one that was pretty inexpensive.

• PurplebutterflyPurplebutterfly Posts: 158 Member
    @CathyTea thank you, I'll search for Victorian
  • 110292110292 Posts: 5 New Member
    I think I will try it since I get bored of playing regular gameplay very fast lol :)
    This one's fun. In my game, I've amended my rules a little bit: I allow up to five actions per (otherwise nonplayable) Sim per day, if the action is related to taking care of unmet crucial needs or progress towards aspirations. This keeps the otherwise unplayed Sims from getting too stagnant.

• CactiSimmerCactiSimmer Posts: 138 Member
    Interesting, I typically hate playing with 8 sims (they break stuff so quickly!!) but this could be fun!
    Interesting, I typically hate playing with 8 sims (they break stuff so quickly!!) but this could be fun!

Yeah--my game gets glitchy with eight Sims, so I scaled back in my own game and just did six, with the household now and then expanding up to eight for brief periods of time. I've really enjoyed the challenge/experience, and it's provided some great opportunities for story-telling! :)

• CactiSimmerCactiSimmer Posts: 138 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

Yeah--my game gets glitchy with eight Sims, so I scaled back in my own game and just did six, with the household now and then expanding up to eight for brief periods of time. I've really enjoyed the challenge/experience, and it's provided some great opportunities for story-telling! :)

Oh! See that's a great idea, when you temporarily expand to eight is that you marrying someone and having sims, or periodically adding new sims in the house?
    CathyTea wrote: »

Oh! See that's a great idea, when you temporarily expand to eight is that you marrying someone and having sims, or periodically adding new sims in the house?

Once I expanded to seven when we hosted a festival and Sims from other Simmers came to visit. Most of the visitors stayed elsewhere, but we ran out of hosts, so one stayed with the main family, and then we ended up liking her so much that she moved in! Then we had a wedding and the house grew to eight. It got so glitchy that I moved a few of the Sims out to bring the household back to six.

• SchellbelleSchellbelle Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi CathyTea! So, can we do this challenge with 6 sims instead of 8 then? I am wanting to start with a prologue play as a teen of a single dad :) This sounds like fun!
    Hi CathyTea! So, can we do this challenge with 6 sims instead of 8 then? I am wanting to start with a prologue play as a teen of a single dad :) This sounds like fun!

Oh, sure! It's super flexible! I find that, given my laptop's limitations, I need to keep the total household at no more than 6, so feel free to do whatever works for you!

• fluffym806fluffym806 Posts: 11 New Member
    Can some of the roomies be toddlers or children?
    fluffym806 wrote: »
    Can some of the roomies be toddlers or children?

Oh, I'm so sorry I missed this until today, @fluffym806 ! Yes! They can be toddlers or children!

• Rachx019Rachx019 Posts: 1 New Member
    Im playing in a house with a downloaded group of roomies. 8 Disney princesses and Im playing as Sleeping Beauty. She’s a lazy musician. All the other 7 have a job but she is just focusing on making her aspiration points. The only time I control any of the others is to force them to go to work. For some reason the princesses will not go if left up to their own free will (entitled!) this is my first time doing a challenge buts I’m having a lot of fun.
    Rachx019 wrote: »
    Im playing in a house with a downloaded group of roomies. 8 Disney princesses and Im playing as Sleeping Beauty. She’s a lazy musician. All the other 7 have a job but she is just focusing on making her aspiration points. The only time I control any of the others is to force them to go to work. For some reason the princesses will not go if left up to their own free will (entitled!) this is my first time doing a challenge buts I’m having a lot of fun.

Hi, @Rachx019 ! I'm glad you're playing this and having fun with it! That's cool to use Disney princesses!

Yeah, sometimes my uncontrolled Sims would go to work, sometimes not. They rarely got promotions, though, since I wasn't controlling them!