Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thanksgiving Soul Food by Blu

blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
edited December 2014 in Off Topic Chat
Howdy Everyone.
I hope your Thanksgiving holiday was great and you enjoyed time with your friends/family. :D

As a lot of you already know, I take a week off work every year to prepare and cook an extremely large soul food Thanksgiving meal for friends, family, and any other guests that show up. I love to cook and learned from both the men but mostly the women in my family. Some of the dishes I've cooked have been made since before I was even born. It's an honor to be able to create some dishes that have been passed down from relatives. Sometimes I cook it how "they" did and other times I'll add my "own" little twist.

So now that we have this off-topic section, I thought I would post pictures of everything that "I" cooked. I should have taken pictures of all that food while I was preparing it but I was on a roll and moved from one dish to the next. However, I went back to try to get pictures of all the food. I was actually posting this for @ceejay402 and some others that were curious about the foods I cook during this week.

Again, this is a massive meal for me to cook and it cost me approximately $400-$450 but it's always worth it. However, the time with family, friends, and guests is priceless!

Here's everything that was for dinner at my home. Feel free to add some dishes that you cooked. :)

Main Course List
Turkey (At least 24 lbs)
Cornbread Dressing
Giblet Gravy
Mashed Potatoes w/Fresh Chives
Southern Baked Mac and Cheese (topped w/Smoked Cheddar Cheese)
Greens (Collard, Tulip, Mustard) w/Ham Shanks
Chitterlings aka Chittlins w/Hog Maws
Corn on the Cob
Cranberry Sauce
Potato Rolls

Here's an image of all of the above.
nyy64j.jpg

Dessert List (Varies depending on what people request)
Chocolate Cinnamon Cake (topped w/Pecans & Walnuts) Grandma's recipe
Homemade Pecan Pie (Qty = 1) *Nuts are expensive!
Homemade Apple Pie (Qty = 2)
Homemade Pumpkin Pie (Qty = 2)
Homemade Sweet Potato Pie (Qty = 4) Grandma's recipe
Peach Cobbler Mom's recipe
Banana Pudding Aunt's recipe
(Most of the above can be served w/Cool Whip or French Vanilla Ice Cream)

Drink List
Fruit Punch *For the kiddies*
Coffee
Clear American Flavored Water (Various flavors)
Diamond Sugar Free Sweet Tea
Various selections of white & red wines from JAV (James Arthur Vineyards)

*Dog gets a sampling of the main course mixed in with her normal dog food (minus the greens) on Thanksgiving. I've done that with my dogs every year because I love them so much. Sophie passed out happy on her Barney cover. (lol)

The real trick for me every year is trying to get all that food in the fridge!

Warning: If you eat stuff like this every day/week it will kill you. But it's okay to have this kind of food on special occasions.

Note: I will post images of the desserts when I take them and get them uploaded. ;)

ETA: Dessert Images
332tpuh.jpg
This was one of my grandmother's (Father's mother) recipes. I am the only one she gave this recipe to before she passed away. I'm the only person in my family that makes this cake. I feel very blessed she gave me this recipe and I make this for my dad. Both my girls watch me make this every year but they don't have it down yet as I do not measure anything. If they want to learn it they will have to keep watching. :p

24gj50j.jpg2wrpyr4.jpg
2gvt2pv.jpg2qwq2xh.jpg
2uj7ce9.jpg2l8doba.jpg

Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
Post edited by blunote00 on

Comments

• cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    you left out my favourite hushpuppies :(
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    I've never actually made those and I don't think they will clog your arteries like the stuff above. ;)
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
  • cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    blunote00 wrote: »
    I've never actually made those and I don't think they will clog your arteries like the stuff above. ;)

IregretnothingDean.gif
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,593 Member
    It is very nice of you to cook this very nice Thanksgiving meal for your family, friends and other guests. The food looks and sounds delicious! It is very nice and special that you are using recipes that your loved ones have passed down to you. It makes the cooking extra special. Your daughters will one day enjoy cooking the recipes too. It is nice that they enjoy watching you cooking the food. It is great that your dogs can enjoy eating the food too.
    You are caring to cook up such nice food for everyone :) It would have been a very special Thanksgiving time of cooking, eating, drinking and chatting. :)
    Thankyou for writing about and posting pictures of your meal here for us to enjoy seeing.
    @rosemow

Thank you for the comments. Thanksgiving is/has always been a special time for me as I'm very thankful for my family and friends. I feel I'm very blessed. :)
  • ScarlettFireflyScarlettFirefly Posts: 74 Member
    Well I know who's house I'm going to for Thanksgiving dinner next year anyways.
    Well I know who's house I'm going to for Thanksgiving dinner next year anyways.
    Chances are you'll get a plate. I try my best to feed anyone who does show up and trust me that has/does happen. ;)

• Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    That sure is a lot of food!. All of it looks so delicious. You are a great cook.
    But it is like you said, the most important thing is to spend time with family and loved ones. It is nice that you are so "family oriented". :)
    By the way, you made my mouth water.
  • DarciTheFoxDarciTheFox Posts: 1,589 Member
    That looks so delicious! I'd eat everything but the chittlins, it looks amazing! The collard greens look tasty! Those desserts! OMG! Banana pudding! My mouth is watering over here. I'm so glad your Thanksgiving was happy and the food would be a huge hit in my house! YUM!
    Nh6650 wrote: »
    That sure is a lot of food!. All of it looks so delicious. You are a great cook.
    But it is like you said, the most important thing is to spend time with family and loved ones. It is nice that you are so "family oriented". :)
    By the way, you made my mouth water.
    Awww thanks. Sorry about the mouth watering thing. :blush:

That looks so delicious! I'd eat everything but the chittlins, it looks amazing! The collard greens look tasty! Those desserts! OMG! Banana pudding! My mouth is watering over here. I'm so glad your Thanksgiving was happy and the food would be a huge hit in my house! YUM!
    Oh thanks so much. I understand about the Chittlins... people either love them or hate them. My grandfather (Father's father) used to have a pig farm and I had to work on it every summer. I used to ask about the smell when I was a kid and he'd say girl "That's the smell of money!" :D

• DarciTheFoxDarciTheFox Posts: 1,589 Member
    blunote00 wrote: »
    Oh thanks so much. I understand about the Chittlins... people either love them or hate them. My grandfather (Father's father) used to have a pig farm and I had to work on it every summer. I used to ask about the smell when I was a kid and he'd say girl "That's the smell of money!" :D

That's nice you got a chance to work on a farm, that's always a good experience for kids I think. LOL What a funny guy! My cousin's in Iowa lived downwind from a pig farm and OMG OMG OMG, yeah....that smell is something else. LOL!
  • Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    730 in the morning and I am wanting to raid the fridge for leftovers! Thanks Blu!! :) That looks so good, I love collards and wish we had a better selection up here. And banana pudding...oh you make me miss the south!! :)
    Long live the new Doctor!
    Faith12368 wrote: »
    730 in the morning and I am wanting to raid the fridge for leftovers! Thanks Blu!! :) That looks so good, I love collards and wish we had a better selection up here. And banana pudding...oh you make me miss the south!! :)
    Oh Faith it's 10:01 AM where I'm located. Ready, Set, Go... Race ya to the fridge!
    I has my coffee and I need something to go with it. :D

What you can do with leftover Turkey. Make soup of course. ;)

bgqss7.jpg
  • jkstensjkstens Posts: 3,685 Member
    Yummmmm, I love Thanksgiving! That looks amazing!

We had the traditional meal a week and a half before because one of our family members is in law enforcement and had to work on the actual day. On Thanksgiving morning, those of us that could attend had a Thanksgiving brunch.
  • despina53despina53 Posts: 1,654 Member
    All your cooking looks delicious, blunote :)
    Call me Dee :p
    Proud member of the "Own The Store Club"
    edited December 2014
    jkstens wrote: »
    Yummmmm, I love Thanksgiving! That looks amazing!

We had the traditional meal a week and a half before because one of our family members is in law enforcement and had to work on the actual day. On Thanksgiving morning, those of us that could attend had a Thanksgiving brunch.
    Love the time with family. It's my most favorite holiday. :D
    despina53 wrote: »
    All your cooking looks delicious, blunote :)
    Awww Thanks. I knew I would have enough turkey and other left overs to make a massive (hodgepodge) pot of soup. It turned out really yummy a very hearty soup. I had two cups of it (couldn't resist) and it's very filling. Nice with just c.r.a.c.k.e.r.s. or homemade (sweet) cornbread. Quick and easy without a lot a prep time and good for the start of winter. ;)

• PurpleRosesPurpleRoses Posts: 3,796 Member
    edited December 2014
    *Stomach growls*

Mmmmmmm. Foooood.
    Anytime you post something food related, I have to lick my screen. Why? Why do you do this me? D :

I might just hitch a ride with ScarlettFirefly.

We, and by we I mean my mom, cooks a lot of food as well.

Turkey (Which is actually not my favorite part. I'm not much of a meat eater aside from chicken)
    Gravy
    Mashed Potatoes
    Corn Pudding
    Green Bean Casserole
    Stuffing/Dressing (whatever you want to call it) made from scratch
    Bread
    Seven Layer Salad
    Cranberry Sauce
    Yams

Dessert varies from year-to-year sometimes, but it usually includes
    Pumpkin Pie
    Pecan Pie
    Chocolate Pie with Meringue Topping
    Custard Pie

I'm getting hungry all over again. Dang it!

(I can't stop staring at that Apple Pie btw. It is my weakness.)
    edited December 2014
    @purple_roses2110
    OMG! Shall I dare say I hope you have some Windex near by. :D
    I'm sorry I forgot I used to post food on my wall on the my pages too.
    But it's the only way I can get you to come by!!! roflmao >:)
  • PurpleRosesPurpleRoses Posts: 3,796 Member
    It's a scary place on there on the rest of the forums. I'm mostly hiding out and PMing my peepz.

And I do have Windex, but I'm not done licking my screen. I'm purdy sure Windex is poisonous. Or not. I don't know. I've never eaten it before. : P
    It's a scary place on there on the rest of the forums. I'm mostly hiding out and PMing my peepz.

And I do have Windex, but I'm not done licking my screen. I'm purdy sure Windex is poisonous. Or not. I don't know. I've never eaten it before. : P
    Well Vanilla is a lot different than Jforum. :|
    There are things I like and things I don't as well as some functions I miss from Jforum. ;)

Not done licking the screen yet. LOL! :D