Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Storyteller Group

Comments

• AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    @enkeli63: Why would I do that? I have three level 10 programming sims that will protect my computer. Or are they? :D
    Well thank you for your warning! I'll be more careful!
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    edited November 2014
    Hi! Great initiative! I'd love to have my TS4 story registered :) Thanks!

Story Title: Gloomville Diaries
    Author Name: Simmerville
    Story URL: http://simmerville.blogspot.com/p/gloomville.html
    Brief Description: Legacy founder, Ochana Mox, won a house. There's just one catch: the Secret Mission requires her descendants to unveil Gloomville's secret past.
    Story Avatar:
    gloomville-button-150x150.jpg
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    enkeli63 wrote: »
    I am a bit swamped with unexpected work from a recent hacking incident that took some (millions) sites down and stuff.
    Sounds like a lot of work! Have you already used up all your sick days for the year? :)

Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
    AkramA wrote: »
    going with the 4th wall is your specialty, Love it! So funny!
    Hey! Nice work! You're kinda all over/under/through the fourth wall yourself! "It's not a church, it's a modified nightclub!" lol!

Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
    edited November 2014
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: A Challenged Legacy Challenge – Chapter Three: Like Minds
    casusbella2.wordpress.com/2014/11/15/le-dynastie-dangers-a-challenged-legacy-challenge-chapter-three-like-minds/
    The search for a Primary Spouse narrows. Considerably.
    150xld3.png
    ldd083banner.png
  • DizziestSimsDizziestSims Posts: 788 Member
    edited November 2014
    Story Title: Robinson Family
    Author Name: RobinsonFam
    Story URL: RobinsonFamTS4.com
    Brief Description: The Robinson Family follows the daily lives and generations of a creative family in Willow Creek.
    Story Avatar: nVGV7JCQNX2DP.png
    Post edited by DizziestSims on
    From the creator of Robinson Family, Dizziest Sims is a reboot of the storytelling series with all new family and friends! dizziestsims.com #DizziestSims
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    @enkeli63: Why would I do that? I have three level 10 programming sims that will protect my computer. Or are they? :D

@AkramA, oh you silly!! I was serious and you made a simmie joke :D Sadly our awesome hacker sims only hack in their own dimension, and they aren't at all like the hackers in ours. I manage a community website where my members just lost a whole year of blogging and stuff because of a hacker :'(

I'm really sorry that I had to devote all of my spare time to that and a little bit of socializing with my family. But now I can get back to my sims (after getting this thread sorted proper).

Thank you all for your patience in this matter!! I personally cannot wait to catch up on reading everyone's stories too B)

OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
    I am a bit swamped with unexpected work from a recent hacking incident that took some (millions) sites down and stuff.
    Sounds like a lot of work! Have you already used up all your sick days for the year? :)

@Bilmonaghan, I think I've used up my sick days for my whole life :'( I only have to fix one of the sites that was affected, thankfully, but it's hard work.

OriginID Starwing6

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
    @littleblackcat, I got your story added to the list on page 1 of this thread, please double check to make sure the links work and everything :)

@Simmerville, your story has been added but the description is slightly too long. It must be 140 characters or less (a standard Tweet length). Yours was a few characters over, but I don't want to choose for you which word could be dropped or changed to meet the description requirement.

@RobinsonFam, your description was also too long to post. Please let me know when you are able to edit it down to 140 characters. If there is an Index for your story, that would also help. I went to your site and it really is hard to tell what is part of your story, what is a random post, etc. I see some story posts, but they're hard to sort out, so if there's an easier way, please share and I can add a note here for others. That will maximize your reads and feedback too!

OriginID Starwing6

@AkramA, oh you silly!! I was serious and you made a simmie joke :D Sadly our awesome hacker sims only hack in their own dimension, and they aren't at all like the hackers in ours. I manage a community website where my members just lost a whole year of blogging and stuff because of a hacker :'(

I'm sorry for making that joke, I used to work in a website in my university and there's a hacker messing around with the repository stuff that I input, luckily the security people have the back up so it's all good, but, well I know how sad that must feel!
    "Fletcher Legacy Challenge, Generation 2 Episode 4: Ghost Update" is up! So if you haven't seen it go click the link!
  • DeeWrayngedDeeWraynged Posts: 102 Member
    Hi there! I have a story but I'll wait until I can post images on the site before posting the blurb haha.

Anyway I do have a question for the more veteran Sim storytellers among you ... how much of the game do you play on "fast" speed and how much do you play on "slow/normal" speed? This is my first shot at documenting a Sim story and even when I'm on the slowest speed I find it really hard to pause the game at just the right moment where my Sim is making the right facial expression I want them to do doing. Often they'll make that expression so fast I don't even have time to press pause! And yet when I read other legacies, all the pictures are just dead on the Sim's expression! Or other times, you guys manage to catch really funny/quirky things your Sims do, but when my Sim does something I hit pause too late! So ... yeah, any tips or tricks on how to improve my pausing skills? :pensive:
    edited November 2014
    @RobinsonFam, your description was also too long to post. Please let me know when you are able to edit it down to 140 characters. If there is an Index for your story, that would also help. I went to your site and it really is hard to tell what is part of your story, what is a random post, etc. I see some story posts, but they're hard to sort out, so if there's an easier way, please share and I can add a note here for others. That will maximize your reads and feedback too!
    I've edited down my description to under 140 characters.
    "The Robinson Family follows the daily lives and generations of a creative family in Willow Creek."

Also made some tweaks to streamline my site.
    Removed some things from the home page and changed menu titles for easier comprehension and navigation.

Been posting daily since launch so there are a lot of posts.
    Some are plot driven and others just reflect daily Sim life and activities.

Thank you for the feedback.
    It was extremely helpful.

You rock!

Question
    Is the right side column too distracting?
    It has the Twitter feed and links to other blogs.
    Should I maybe move that to the bottom of the page.

Also critical feedback from anyone on my site design and setup would be appreciated.

Thanks all!
    Post edited by DizziestSims on
    From the creator of Robinson Family, Dizziest Sims is a reboot of the storytelling series with all new family and friends! dizziestsims.com #DizziestSims
    ... how much of the game do you play on "fast" speed
    None.
    ... I find it really hard to pause the game at just the right moment where my Sim is making the right facial expression I want ... Often they'll make that expression so fast I don't even have time to press pause!
    Instead of the pause button, hover over the "p" key and as the animation starts to approach the look you're after, hit "p" to pause. if it ain't right, hit "p" twice to unpause and re-pause in quick succession to let the animation click a split-second ahead and see if it lands where you want it. you'll end up doing this over and over and over. You can use the "c" key to take your picture and there's some way you can toggle away that "do you really want to take a picture?" dialog box so you don't have to monkey with it 40 times a minute. Snap a couple pictures that aren't quite the look you're looking for, in part cuz you may never quite get it and in part in case they prove useful when you go to cobble your story together. You're Screenshots folder will silt up quickly with huge .pngs, so maybe get in the habit of cleaning it out now and again.

ldd083banner.png
    edited November 2014
    Also critical feedback from anyone...
    No critical feedback from me. It looks great. I'm not jealous or anything. lol. And I like your art and writing style. Don't get much tighter. Keep posting out here when you have updates, cuz I can't figure out a way to "follow" you someplace where I'll actually see the notifications.

Post edited by Bilmonaghan on
    ldd083banner.png
    @Bilmonaghan Thank you so much for the advice! I'll definitely put this to use when I play next!

Although doesn't it take FOREVER to complete even a single generation when you don't play with the fast speed at all? :open_mouth:
  • aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    edited November 2014
    how much of the game do you play on "fast" speed and how much do you play on "slow/normal" speed?

I mix it up. Sometimes I only play on slow speed. Birthdays, deaths, dates, other moments I know I'll want to write about. Other times, I just hit the fast forward because they're just doing normal things. There are days that drag in my Sim world where I don't really want to record anything. They're doing things for job promotions, trying up their moodlets, etc.
    And yet when I read other legacies, all the pictures are just dead on the Sim's expression! Or other times, you guys manage to catch really funny/quirky things your Sims do, but when my Sim does something I hit pause too late!

I always pause it just before an interaction/event that I know I want to write about. I try to position the camera as best as I can to get the right angle. Chances are, when that happens, my Sim will up and walk to a different part of the room ;) I always take way more pictures than I need. I'm a rapid 'C' button hitter. I trust that the shots I need will end up in my Screen shots. If not, I write in what is needed to fill the gap between photos.

Just find your voice in it all. That's what makes it fun!

Although doesn't it take FOREVER to complete even a single generation when you don't play with the fast speed at all? :open_mouth:
    Heck, I dunno! I'm only four Sim-days into my first legacy, so maybe so! lol!

ldd083banner.png
    No critical feedback from me. It looks great. I'm not jealous or anything. lol. And I like your art and writing style. Don't get much tighter. Keep posting out here when you have updates, cuz I can't figure out a way to "follow" you someplace where I'll actually see the notifications.
    Thank you much!

Here's another open question about posting stories on the forums if anyone can help answer:
    What is the best way for people to follow and receive story notification on forums?

I post daily in the Stories and Legacies forums.
    Initially I posted a new discussion daily.

Then I tried just creating one discussion and updating it with new posts.
    I realized that the discussion was getting extremely long and hard to follow.

Now I create about one new discussion weekly and update it until that particular story line runs out.
    Then I create a new one.

That makes it hard to follow notifications.
    One may not be aware that the story has moved to a new discussion.

Any ideas on how to share a really bloated story line on the forums?
    thank you guys for the extremely helpful advice!
    I got some shots that I'm really happy with for my new legacy. I find it's so hard to stay interested in the same legacy for a really long time. I'm in my second generation of the legacy I have posted in the forums but I'm already starting a new legacy, hahaha x_x I'm hopeless! What do you guys do to keep yourself interested in the same legacy? Or is that not a problem for you?
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    @DeeWraynged - I find myself falling in love with my Sims, and that keeps me interested. Plus, sometimes, I feel like I'm Time... That is, I'm the overlooking consciousness of the story, watching it all through from gen 1 to gen 10. I relate the passing of generations to real life often--I'm in my mid-life, so I can look back to my great grandparents and forward to my great nieces and nephews. That's six generations right there... and if I live long enough, I might be able to get to know my grand nephews and niece's kids--maybe even their grandkids--which will mean bridging 8 generations! So as I play the legacy, I reflect on all these generations stemming from my founder, and the passing of the mid-generations feels like the extent of my own lifespan, so I find great interest in the type of historical continuity and connection that legacy play brings. Plus, I always play about two or three other games at the same time, so I can take plenty of breaks! And... knowing I'll be writing about the legacy keeps it interesting, too! Plus, I actually look forward to and enjoy glitches as a way of bringing surprises! For example, the squint-eye-square-jaw glitch brought some really amazing and beautiful features to my generation 4 kids that I don't think they would have gotten otherwise. And Disappearing Townie Syndrome has become a game in and of itself! Plus, I always stay curious about what the future patches will bring (both good and unexpected) to the legacy family!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    @deewraynged Honestly, this is the first time in a loooong time that I have played this long. I, too, usually give up and get bored. I think part of what @CathyTea wrote rings true for me, too--but differently. I'm a bit younger and I find the struggle my Sims go through to be entirely understandable. Plus, I love to write and having a blog that I know is being read and needs updating is motivation to keep going. Generation 4 was dull for me. I didn't love my Sims towards the end there and I wrote less frequently. When I jumped back in and Generation 5 made its way, I fell back in love. It happens. I think a huge part of it is looking at my family tree and seeing where I started as compared to where I'm at now....

Like I said before, you have to find you in it all and it will happen from there.
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    Like I said before, you have to find you in it all and it will happen from there.

Oooh~ Quotable!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    how much of the game do you play on "fast" speed and how much do you play on "slow/normal" speed?
    I only hit fast button when every single one of my sims are leveling up some skill. Also I will let the game auto fast forward when someone is sleeping/go to work.
    any tips or tricks on how to improve my pausing skills? :pensive:
    I use mainly shortcut to do all my pausing and capturing!
    I use the "`" button to pause because:
    1. it's really close to 123 button which is to control speed!
    2. it's in my left hand rather than P button that's really far from WASD and QE button
    3. in tab mode where you basically have to control the camera you can pause using "`" button, this is something not many people know but they should really enable the "P" button in tab mode too.

Also if you don't know anything about tab mode, learn to manage your camera using it, it's really useful for angling purpose.

thank you guys for the extremely helpful advice!<br />
    I got some shots that I'm really happy with for my new legacy. I find it's so hard to stay interested in the same legacy for a really long time. I'm in my second generation of the legacy I have posted in the forums but I'm already starting a new legacy, hahaha x_x I'm hopeless! What do you guys do to keep yourself interested in the same legacy? Or is that not a problem for you?

Love your sims. This is working especially if you actually embrace the good and horrible traits that your sims has for me it help me create a bond between me and the sims I played.
    CathyTea wrote: »

Oooh~ Quotable!

Oh yeah, you know me...always spitting out quotable quotes! Heh. I love how Sims are an extension of ourselves. When I play, I always find myself thinking, where am I in all of this? What agenda am I pushing? What am I projecting onto these poor little Sims? It's strange, I know. Must be from two years of studying leadership development.