Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We care! Supporting Simmers going through hard times.

Comments

• goofygoober25goofygoober25 Posts: 149 Member
    Schweighsr wrote: »
    I am so glad this thread was made. I honestly hope you all find some small comfort here. As for me, I have a lot on my shoulders right now, and I am so worried. This year my mom was in ICU for two weeks and almost died of a severe infection. At one point the doctors said she only had a 15% chance of living. Luckily she made it through but she is just so incredibly sick that I fear I may lose her. She happens to be my best friend second only to my husband. I feel like I am losing my family. My father passed. I do not have contact with my sisters because of their actions. One is a prescription drug addict and constantly steals from or begs for my moms pain medication. Mom just gives in because shes too sick to argue and she suffers for it. My other sister fell in with the wrong people, and shows signs of street drug use and I am all but certain she is pregnant because she is starting to look like it. She refuses to get a job and milks off the government and takes advantage of my mom. I just cannot stand the fact that they constantly take and take and take from her. To top if off, I have had a disability since I was 15 years old (26 now) and have been unable to work because of it. I cannot get any kind of financial help because I have never worked. My husband and I have absolutely no savings to our name because all of it goes to the doctor bills because of psychiatric and health related issues and medication which are vital to my well being (only reason I am simming right now is because a computer and the game were gifted to me as a gift from my grandmother in an attempt for me to reach out to others and have a little fun on the side) I feel so alone because I have no friends besides my husband/mom/grandmother and because of my disability I will never be able to start a family of my own. I feel like I have complained too much, but I just feel like I had to get that off my chest and I am thankful for the listeners. I realize there are people a lot worse off than I am and I am thankful for what I have, but sometimes it feels like too much. Thanks for reading, whoever takes the time to read this. I hope you all find happiness, even if it is a small piece.

@goofygoober25, have you checked out Social Security Disability? Even if you have never worked, you may qualify for benefits under one of your parent's social security numbers. Alternately there is Medicare/ Medicaid and Welfare benefits. I would recommend that you contact 1) a lawyer (they will work pro bono) about what government benefits you may be eligible for; 2) a social services agency, who will point you towards whatever local resources may be available from charity and such and 3) a support group for your disability. You NEED to have social contact outside of your family, even if it is only on-line.

I don't know the extent of your disability, obviously, but if you could join a book club or take a class it would help you meet people. Believe me, nothing can raise your spirits like being social. I'm fairly shy and have trouble approaching new people, but I find that even the smallest things can raise my spirits a great deal. It may sound ridiculous, but you might want to look into volunteering for a charity a few hours every month. Even if you are only making phone calls from home, helping others is a marvel for your self-esteem.

I was badly injured in a car accident many years ago but have recovered a great deal of my mobility - more than my doctors originally told me was possible. The hardest part for me was being forced to retire from my career - I was very lucky to have loved my job. I was also lucky enough to have excellent insurance and was able to find some really good doctors. So I can empathize with your situation to a certain extent. Getting help or getting out of the house to socialize may seem like an insurmountable mountain, but I have learned that what looks like a mountain ahead of you usually turns into a molehill once you have done it and it is in the past.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Oh geez, they really need to put pm back on the forums. I would love to talk to you more about it but don't want to go into more detail here, some things are just a little too personal. I actually plan on doing something, I really want to take pre-ged classes so I can finally get it (my mom always wanted to see me finish it and hoped I would. As sick as she is I don't think she will make it through the year, she got a little better but now she's going downhill again. I feel like if I lost her, the best way to honor her would be for me to get my GED). I have tried numerous times to obtain it, but the nature of my disability is that sometimes I do good and can do a good amount of things and then things are impossible the next week. It's an on/off battle that i've been going through since 15 years old.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    It would be great if you took pre ged classes and got your GED @goofygoober27. It would be great for both yourself and also for you to feel that you were honouring your Mum too. It is hard when health problems can make studying hard some days. I am sorry that your Mum is deteriorating after she improved a little. I hope that you will continue to have many special times just being with her, loving her and caring for her. :)
  • natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member
    I am so glad this thread was made. I honestly hope you all find some small comfort here. As for me, I have a lot on my shoulders right now, and I am so worried. This year my mom was in ICU for two weeks and almost died of a severe infection. At one point the doctors said she only had a 15% chance of living. Luckily she made it through but she is just so incredibly sick that I fear I may lose her. She happens to be my best friend second only to my husband. I feel like I am losing my family. My father passed. I do not have contact with my sisters because of their actions. One is a prescription drug addict and constantly steals from or begs for my moms pain medication. Mom just gives in because shes too sick to argue and she suffers for it. My other sister fell in with the wrong people, and shows signs of street drug use and I am all but certain she is pregnant because she is starting to look like it. She refuses to get a job and milks off the government and takes advantage of my mom. I just cannot stand the fact that they constantly take and take and take from her. To top if off, I have had a disability since I was 15 years old (26 now) and have been unable to work because of it. I cannot get any kind of financial help because I have never worked. My husband and I have absolutely no savings to our name because all of it goes to the doctor bills because of psychiatric and health related issues and medication which are vital to my well being (only reason I am simming right now is because a computer and the game were gifted to me as a gift from my grandmother in an attempt for me to reach out to others and have a little fun on the side) I feel so alone because I have no friends besides my husband/mom/grandmother and because of my disability I will never be able to start a family of my own. I feel like I have complained too much, but I just feel like I had to get that off my chest and I am thankful for the listeners. I realize there are people a lot worse off than I am and I am thankful for what I have, but sometimes it feels like too much. Thanks for reading, whoever takes the time to read this. I hope you all find happiness, even if it is a small piece.

@goofygoober25 I feel for you, I hope everything works itself out. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and you will make your way out soon. I noticed you mentioned that you are unable to start a family, that stuck out to me. Adoption is always a option, the way I see it is: Why bring a child into the world who is born with a loving mother and father, when you can help a child without loving parents, and give them the future they deserve? I hope your mother fights pass her illness. My grandmother (who my family is close to) has had 16 surgeries since she was 17 (shes almost 70 now) and she it still fighting, she has had breast cancer and fought through that, and many more. You mum will make it through.

@goofygoober25 I feel for you, I hope everything works itself out. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and you will make your way out soon. I noticed you mentioned that you are unable to start a family, that stuck out to me. Adoption is always a option, the way I see it is: Why bring a child into the world who is born with a loving mother and father, when you can help a child without loving parents, and give them the future they deserve? I hope your mother fights pass her illness. My grandmother (who my family is close to) has had 16 surgeries since she was 17 (shes almost 70 now) and she it still fighting, she has had breast cancer and fought through that, and many more. You mum will make it through.

I hear you about adoption, I hold the same belief. I hope one day that could happen, but I don't know. I guess this is why I love sims so much, because I can do what I can't do in real life.

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Going through a few rough seas right now. Main issue is that I've had to share my husband with his "other family" for the past four years...other family being his mother and brother, both disabled. Brother has physical and mental health issues, went through some time in lockdown but has been in a "supportive home environment" with 3 other adults in recovery and is doing very well, but my husband does help him now and then by taking him on errands or to shop, or they'll go out for a "boys night out." As for his mom, she's in long-term skilled nursing care but we have to do her laundry because she's allergic to the detergent they use there, and he also spends several days a week with her helping her with other things. So I sometimes feel like I'm lowest priority around here, and it hurts. We've been married 23 years, and I sometimes wonder if we'll make it to 25 at this rate. We did get to go to a comedy show on Saturday night, and this week we're getting away to the Wine Country for a couple of days, so maybe having him to myself for much of the week will help us get back on a better footing as a married couple.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • FawnFoxFawnFox Posts: 360 Member
    edited November 2014
    I too am really really grateful for this thread right now.

Recently I've had some serious weights on my shoulders which I haven't felt like I've been able to share with anyone.. But this thread seems like a good place to offload hard stuff.

My dad has had major depression and has been an alcoholic (and occasional domestic abuser) for as long as I can remember. Recently he organised a travel holiday for himself without telling any of us, and he went to Sri Lanka, Singapore and America which costed him almost $10,000 - he has put all the money on credit card so now my family is in a huge debt for a trip Dad organised only for himself.

When he came back he and my Mum talked things out and I thought their relationship/our family was getting better. I thought maybe dad would get the help he needs and things could be normal and happy for once in my life.

But about a week ago we discovered my dad has been having an affair with a girl in her 20's (he is well into his 50s) and that he had been cheating on my mum for about 4 months. Seeing as he has been kicked out of the house, we now have virtually no money as my Mum only works part-time.

So now my parents are in the throws of a split, I've lost all respect for my dad, funds are low - and I haven't really felt like I could share this with anyone. Thanks so much for making this thread, even if nobody replies to this I feel so much better having expressed some of the hard stuff I have been going through.

This is a really amazing idea and it's so important for everyone to feel like they have people to talk to. If anybody has something weighing them down right now I will be here to listen :) We all go through stuff and life is never ever easy.
    <3 stay strong everyone <3

2afmmf5.jpg

Going through a few rough seas right now. Main issue is that I've had to share my husband with his "other family" for the past four years...other family being his mother and brother, both disabled. Brother has physical and mental health issues, went through some time in lockdown but has been in a "supportive home environment" with 3 other adults in recovery and is doing very well, but my husband does help him now and then by taking him on errands or to shop, or they'll go out for a "boys night out." As for his mom, she's in long-term skilled nursing care but we have to do her laundry because she's allergic to the detergent they use there, and he also spends several days a week with her helping her with other things. So I sometimes feel like I'm lowest priority around here, and it hurts. We've been married 23 years, and I sometimes wonder if we'll make it to 25 at this rate. We did get to go to a comedy show on Saturday night, and this week we're getting away to the Wine Country for a couple of days, so maybe having him to myself for much of the week will help us get back on a better footing as a married couple.

Hello @stilljustme2 It is very caring of your husband to care for and support his mother and brother. I hope that your time away at the Wine Country will be a special time where you can enjoy a special time of being together. Perhaps you can find times through each week where you make time where you can enjoy doing things together that you both have fun doing.
    edited November 2014
    FawnFox wrote: »
    I too am really really grateful for this thread right now. <br />
    <br />
    Recently I've had some serious weights on my shoulders which I haven't felt like I've been able to share with anyone.. But this thread seems like a good place to offload hard stuff. <br />
    <br />
    My dad has had major depression and has been an alcoholic (and occasional domestic abuser) for as long as I can remember. Recently he organised a travel holiday for himself without telling any of us, and he went to Sri Lanka, Singapore and America which costed him almost $10,000 - he has put all the money on credit card so now my family is in a huge debt for a trip Dad organised only for himself. <br />
    <br />
    When he came back he and my Mum talked things out and I thought their relationship/our family was getting better. I thought maybe dad would get the help he needs and things could be normal and happy for once in my life.<br />
    <br />
    But about a week ago we discovered my dad has been having an affair with a girl in her 20's (he is well into his 50s) and that he had been cheating on my mum for about 4 months. Seeing as he has been kicked out of the house, we now have virtually no money as my Mum only works part-time.<br />
    <br />
    So now my parents are in the throws of a split, I've lost all respect for my dad, funds are low - and I haven't really felt like I could share this with anyone. Thanks so much for making this thread, even if nobody replies to this I feel so much better having expressed some of the hard stuff I have been going through.<br />
    <br />
    This is a really amazing idea and it's so important for everyone to feel like they have people to talk to. If anybody has something weighing them down right now I will be here to listen :) We all go through stuff and life is never ever easy.

Hello @FawnFox I am so sorry to hear about all that you are going through. I send lots of special thoughts to you. It is good that you have shared here about what you are going through, for you have us here to be thinking about you. I am glad that it has helped you to express how you are feeling and what you are going through. Please know that I will keep you in my thoughts, and are here to listen to you whenever you want to write.

• FawnFoxFawnFox Posts: 360 Member
    edited November 2014
    rosemow, Thank you for creating such an important thread! i hope plently of people find the encouragement they need from this. There's lots of bad going on in the world and it's really amazing to see that some people still care about others :) xx

2afmmf5.jpg

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member

Is there one evening a week you can fit in an after-work drink? That's what my husband and I started doing a few years ago when we realized we'd been losing our own relationship over the years in the middle of working and raising kids and his mother's failing health. It's been on and off as a "date" at times, depending on other family members' health -- sometimes we've simply had to have one of us home, period -- but it's helped, even if we *do* end up talking about work and family most of the time -- at least we're doing it in an "us" space. I do think that all couples go through this; we all just try to put on a good face for the world.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Thankyou to everyone who has been posting here supporting other simmers. :)
    To everyone, please know that we are here to listen to you, and we care about how you are feeling and what you are going through in your life.

Is there one evening a week you can fit in an after-work drink? That's what my husband and I started doing a few years ago when we realized we'd been losing our own relationship over the years in the middle of working and raising kids and his mother's failing health. It's been on and off as a "date" at times, depending on other family members' health -- sometimes we've simply had to have one of us home, period -- but it's helped, even if we *do* end up talking about work and family most of the time -- at least we're doing it in an "us" space. I do think that all couples go through this; we all just try to put on a good face for the world.

I'd like to do that, but you know what they say about the best laid plans...for example, he was busy today getting some laundry done before the trip (our laundry room is a little bit of a distance away and he worries about me carrying a heavy basket that far) and doing some reading, so he went to his mom's late to take her laundry and isn't home yet, and we need to go do a couple of errands together before the trip (I mainly need some new laces for my walking boots). I'm hoping we can have a good discussion about this issue while we're away, maybe over dinner tomorrow or Wednesday. We're going to pay a visit to a friend of mine's wine shop so maybe we'll pick up a good bottle to share. B)
  • plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    I'd like a dog.
    Getting a later start than I wanted for our getaway, but we'll be on the road in about an hour (allegedly). So before I shut down the computer till Thursday wanted to say "Hi" to everyone. Might try and check in from my tablet but not sure if I'll be able to post from there but I'll be sending love and <3 HUGS <3 from my travels. Good food, good wine and good friends await. B)
    Getting a later start than I wanted for our getaway, but we'll be on the road in about an hour (allegedly). So before I shut down the computer till Thursday wanted to say "Hi" to everyone. Might try and check in from my tablet but not sure if I'll be able to post from there but I'll be sending love and <3 HUGS <3 from my travels. Good food, good wine and good friends await. B)

Hello :) I hope that you have a nice getaway and that it is a special time for you and your husband.
  • Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
    All I gotta say is this thread is a good one........I like it. I am also happy that the trolling has finally subsided *knocks on wood table* although I am not sure how out of the woods we are. Unfortunately the damage has been done......but we can rebuild. We just have to stick together as simmers.

• Kaike78Kaike78 Posts: 414 Member
    edited November 2014
    @rosemow and @SelenaGrey Thank you both, for your kind words. If I didn't have my boyfriend and a few of my closest friends, I would have gone absolutely insane by now.

Still hoping for a ray of sunshine behind everyone's clouds. It's heartbreaking to see so many in all kinds of pain, but heartwarming to see this thread offering solace for those in need.
    "Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."

-Oscar Wilde

@stilljustme2 Have a wonderful time on your getaway!
    "Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."

-Oscar Wilde

Hello @Kaike78 It is good that you have your boyfriend and some close friends to support you through what you are going through. Thinking of you :)
    Thank you, sweet rosemow. :)

-Oscar Wilde

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    edited November 2014

That is very rough. I hope playing the game helps take your mind off of things for a bit.

No one can help your sister until her decides to help herself. Try and not feel guity.

As bad as things are, try to think positively. I have learned bad thoughts bring on bad things. :)

I hope things start getting better.
    Post edited by DerekJohnson on
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    edited November 2014

That is very rough. I hope playhing the game helps take your mind off of things for a bit.

No one can help your sister until her decides to help herself. Try and not feel guilty.

As bad as things are, try to think positively. I have learned bad thoughts bring on bad things. :)

Post edited by DerekJohnson on

That is very rough. I hope playhing the game helps take your mind off of things for a bit.

No one can help your sister until her decides to help herself. Try and not feel guity.

Thank you :). I try not to feel too guilty but I kind of do because I was prescribed the medication she first got hooked on, and she found out what it was I was taking, so I feel like its my fault in way, but I know it isn't. As for deciding to help herself...well she's basically done nothing but get stoned and sleep on the floor and watch TV all day 24/7 for six years. Each time we think she's hit rock bottom she goes even lower but still she never tries to get help. It's to the point that sadly she's estranged herself from the rest of my family and when my mom (who she is heavily dependent on for basically everything) passes, nobody in my family wants to help her (she is my sister, I would help her if I could, and I would offer her shelter but I am on many medications she could take advantage of so it would never work) so she'll most likely end up on the streets. It's just a horrible situation all around. And as for my other sister...I really hope if she is pregnant she is not taking drugs at the same time.

Also playing the game is very therapeutic for me, as is being on the forums. And I have realized that things do get better even if its just a small something for a day or so, I have found its just the way things work, so I have that thought going for me.

Again, thank you for your words :)
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    edited November 2014
    @SelenaGrey - (((HUGS))) & prayers
    -
    @rosemow - great idea to make this thread
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top