Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Decorator Tips

Comments

• altad1altad1 Posts: 1,091 Member
    @benlow11 I love the idea with the rounded rooms. Your garden looks beautiful and much more natural than having squared off edges everywhere, I'll definitely use this idea. :)
  • LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    How have I missed this thread? There are some great ideas in here, thank you guys for sharing them.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Wow...I love all these new tips and ideas. Very creative everyone!

---Something is wrong with my notifications on this site. It always says I have 500 messages, but I don't and now I don't get notified about updates to this thread.
    edited October 2014
    I've started using fences inside as half walls.

A house I'm working on, it's pretty epic. It has this massive floating section over the "pool". Trying to settle on a house before the pool update so been building and discarding potential houses all day (well, not really discarding but deciding it just wasn't good enough for my first Sims 4 pool).

10-25-14_9-50nbspPM_zpsbb0e233a.png

Forgive how barren it looks, I'm trying to figure out what to do with the big empty space upstairs. I always get stuck at this point. I have no problem with the first floor or rooms. It's the giant left over common space upstairs that winds up looking like a dumping ground for junk and clutter. I hate junk and clutter, I like wide open and very minimalistic designs.

ETA: I found out today that I can click on a fence and move the entire thing! That made me so happy, no more deleting because I didn't place it where I wanted.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Using fencing for half walls inside homes is a great idea @LokiSimsies :) It looks great how you have used the fencing to separate off a study desk area.
    It will be great when the pool update comes. It is great with Sims 4 that you can pick up items like fencing and just move it to another place.
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    I can't believe I just found this thread there are some really great tips. I don't have any pics to share at the moment, but let me get my creative juices flowing and I might come up with something.
    celdys0n wrote: »
    Sadly it does not work on counters, those are still snap. Thanks to all these tips, I am having a bit of fun building a new house
    @celdys0n I'm not sure why you haven't been able to use the alt key to fine tune the placement of counters. I am able to do so. Are auto-counters turned on for you. If so maybe try turning it off and see if that helps.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • moongodessmoongodess Posts: 1,550 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    @sarahewhy - Create rooms on the roof where you want to cut out the tiles. Click on the floor and you should get the option to delete the floor. Then use the sledge hammer on the wall pieces to delete them. Then add roof trim or the cornices to the inside. The light pours in.

But it's not an invisible floor tile or window. I imagine that it is fine to do indoors now, but eventually they will add seasons and then the indoors will get all wet or cold. But I just love the way it looks.

Help, help, help! I place the room, delete the floor, then as soon as I delete the first wall (with the sledgehammer or on the wall itself), the floor comes back. What am I doing wrong?
    moongodess wrote: »
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    @sarahewhy - Create rooms on the roof where you want to cut out the tiles. Click on the floor and you should get the option to delete the floor. Then use the sledge hammer on the wall pieces to delete them. Then add roof trim or the cornices to the inside. The light pours in.

But it's not an invisible floor tile or window. I imagine that it is fine to do indoors now, but eventually they will add seasons and then the indoors will get all wet or cold. But I just love the way it looks.

Help, help, help! I place the room, delete the floor, then as soon as I delete the first wall (with the sledgehammer or on the wall itself), the floor comes back. What am I doing wrong?

It sounds like you are removing the room indicator. If you are creating one long floor and then making rooms to delete over it, try making small floor sections around the parts you want to remove. That way when you remove the walls, it will still recognize that it was part of a separate room.
  • moongodessmoongodess Posts: 1,550 Member
    Thanks for trying to help, but I still can't get it to work LOL I downloaded your house with the skylights - guess my sims will just have to live there ;)
  • CasseeCassee Posts: 3,710 Member
    edited October 2014
    Great thread!! Wonderful creative ideas.

Just a few I use all the time.

Use curtains for wall decor
    10-25-14_1-18nbspPM_zpsfecaec1f.png

Gardens can be Inside!
    10-18-14_1-59nbspPM-4_zpsdbfe62f2.png

Layer curtains. I love this look!
    10-19-14_10-03nbspPM-5_zpsa4e9fa70.png

I hope you enjoy!! Happy Simming!

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. Bertrand Russell
    sims4siggie2018_zpslw60zcgd.png
    Cassee's Corner: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783956/cassees-corner-new-5309-memory-lane-wip-page-72/p1
    Your furnishing tips are great! @Cassee :) The indoor garden looks very nice! It looks great how you have used the water fountain there.The layered curtains give a great look to the bedroom! It looks great how you have used the curtains behind the tv.
  • CasseeCassee Posts: 3,710 Member
    Thank you, Ms Rose!! Nite! Nite!
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. Bertrand Russell
    sims4siggie2018_zpslw60zcgd.png
    Cassee's Corner: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783956/cassees-corner-new-5309-memory-lane-wip-page-72/p1
  • celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    I can't believe I just found this thread there are some really great tips. I don't have any pics to share at the moment, but let me get my creative juices flowing and I might come up with something.
    celdys0n wrote: »
    Sadly it does not work on counters, those are still snap. Thanks to all these tips, I am having a bit of fun building a new house
    @celdys0n I'm not sure why you haven't been able to use the alt key to fine tune the placement of counters. I am able to do so. Are auto-counters turned on for you. If so maybe try turning it off and see if that helps.

Oh, no, I can place counters just fine and dandy. It's the windows and mirrors that aren't all that move-able. Windows only move up and down, rather than all around like paintings. Ah well, perhaps one day in a patch....
    edited October 2014
    I have managed to make a sunken indoor fountain and a sunken room.....somehow.....but I can't remember how I did it. I need to make myself some step by step instructions.

What are you guys doing about the lighting issues? If I use anything other than the shortest walls, my houses are too gloomy for my liking. The houses, not the sims themselves. I wish lights disappeared, I really don't like having to put hundreds of lights in my houses. I've also noticed that some windows (even the more expensive ones) seem to add to the gloom.

So, you talented and creative builders, what walls/ligths/windows are you using to maximize interior lighting?

And somebody please remind my feeble old forgetful mind how to do the sunken rooms.....

Oh and I'm worried about pools, I've spent several days happily making houses to add pools onto and now I started thinking; "What if they don't have the signature as fountains?" I've just wasted all this time!

Here is my latest build, it's got a floating structure over a pool. I wish I could have gotten a better screen....

10-26-14_8-10nbspAM_zps2961988b.png
    edited October 2014
    TUTORIAL: HOW TO MAKE A SUNKEN ROOM AND L-SHAPED STAIRS

Create 2 Separate Rooms - Try to plan dimensions and where you want stairs in advance. (My tutorial is not the best location for things.)
    10-26-14_10-36%C2%A0AM.png

Click on one of the rooms floor and select Remove Floor.
    10-26-14_10-36%C2%A0AM-2.png

10-26-14_10-36%C2%A0AM-3.png

Delete the wall between the two rooms or the section of wall where you want your stairs.
    10-26-14_10-36%C2%A0AM-4.png

This will brighten up the sunken room.
    10-26-14_10-36%C2%A0AM-5.png

Add stairs. Make sure you get the dimension right - the whole house is really built around the stairs and sunken room.
    10-26-14_10-37%C2%A0AM.png

Add stairs to the second floor.
    10-26-14_10-38%C2%A0AM.png

You cannot press shift to fill the room with a floor. You must drag our the floor tiles instead.
    10-26-14_10-39%C2%A0AM-2.png

You can delete the wall around the stairs you you can see the L-shape.
    [img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-n_iGgWW9oig/VE0YH0rIUMI/AAAAAAAAMi8/sJH5B2hL3WY/w590-h332-no/10-26-14_10-40%C2%A0AM-2.png[/img]

Painting walls is tricky. You cannot use shift or the room paint. Instead, you must either paint the walls one by one or press Alt to paint only one wall section at a time.
    10-26-14_10-41%C2%A0AM.png

If you don't, the wallpaper will also go outside.
    10-26-14_10-41%C2%A0AM-5.png

You can also change the foundation type so that it is flat.
    [img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-z79QCusG8yo/VE0YIktRpZI/AAAAAAAAMi8/xG7YEL66t0k/w590-h332-no/10-26-14_10-41%C2%A0AM-2.png[/img]

It changes it outside, too so design carefully.
    [img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-MOvRV8vtYyU/VE0YJID3muI/AAAAAAAAMi8/fCl7XqPVNYY/w590-h332-no/10-26-14_10-41%C2%A0AM-3.png[/img]

That's what it will look like:
    10-26-14_10-41%C2%A0AM-4.png

Add windows.
    10-26-14_10-44%C2%A0AM.png

The one discrepancy:
    [img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-JAi7uzaI7ns/VE0YNklB6QI/AAAAAAAAMi8/aPD8TBLYi-k/w590-h332-no/10-26-14_10-45%C2%A0AM.png[/img]

This is it...you can see through the windows into the sunken room.
    10-26-14_10-48%C2%A0AM.png
    Post edited by Mstybl95 on
    @Mstybl95 Ah ha! That's how I did it but I don't remember actually taking out walls like that. I just deleted the whole room and worked around it. I think I may have stumbled upon this way when trying to place the fountain, that was challenging, lol.

Now to not forget (again) how to do it.
  • RosiaMia_RosiaMia_ Posts: 1,377 Member
    10-26-14_1-55nbspPM_zpsb42c2b56.png
  • TutanoTutano Posts: 61 Member
    Amazing this tips! I´m learning more and more with this topic. Thanks!
    Your home looks great! @LokiSimsies :) It looks very nice how you have done the floating structure over the pool. It looks very nice how you have placed the windows in the build.
    Very nice design of your kitchen! @RosiaMia_ :) It looks great how you have placed the counters around the corner. The brickwork texture of the walls looks great. The display cabinet looks great on the wall there.
    RosiaMia_ wrote: »
    10-26-14_1-55nbspPM_zpsb42c2b56.png

I like this. Do the Sims use the counters or does it cause a routing issue around the corner like that? I don't normally make such small kitchens but I might try to be a little more creative than just do my usual massive farm style kitchen.
    @rosemow - Thanks and I'd love for you to share it there. Thanks for linking to it, too. I admit, I don't look around for tutorials enough. I usually try to figure things out on my own, but having them all there just opened my eyes to more possibilities that I haven't even thought of. :)
  • jesse94jesse94 Posts: 10 New Member
    Thanks, nice tutorial.
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    benlow11 wrote: »
    I have a landscaping tip: use the rounded rooms to get round fencing in the yard. There is flooring that looks like grass so it will all look like grass.
    104qf5i.jpg

Wonderful tip, @benlow11! :D
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    I have managed to make a sunken indoor fountain and a sunken room.....somehow.....but I can't remember how I did it. I need to make myself some step by step instructions.

What are you guys doing about the lighting issues? If I use anything other than the shortest walls, my houses are too gloomy for my liking. The houses, not the sims themselves. I wish lights disappeared, I really don't like having to put hundreds of lights in my houses. I've also noticed that some windows (even the more expensive ones) seem to add to the gloom.

So, you talented and creative builders, what walls/ligths/windows are you using to maximize interior lighting?

I was using Shimrod's Improved Lighting mod, but that actually creates some odd color issues in the interior. Lately, I've been using the new debug lights. It's a bummer that they don't transfer (yet), but I can at least take better looking pictures. As for lights disappearing, you're in luck, because the ceiling lights do basically disappear in live mode! The fade is so darn aggressive with them (and with columns). I've found it annoying, but it could work to your advantage if you want to pack on the lights!

Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations