Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game doesn't stop townies generation

I want to have my own sims in the worlds and so I deleted all "not in the world" households. I then downloaded sims to be in this townie pool but the game kept generating new townies. I tried a cheat that should stop this, but it didn't work. I then read that the game limits the sims to 180 and put this many sims in the "not in world" townie bin. Still the game generates game made townies. So this is a bug! Can this be fixed with a patch? So that the game stops generating new townies?

Comments

• SuzyQSim1259SuzyQSim1259 Posts: 121 Member
    I'm with you on this. In one of my hoods I just want the Sims I place to be in there. I don't want townies. Not only does it continually generate townies, but they are the only ones that show up in the public places. I have about 11 of my own families in the world, yet none of them show up at any of the parks or venues -- just random townies everywhere. I've even deleted all the townies from Manage Households and yet they still spawn. What the heck is up with that? We have a button in Options to turn off automatically having townies fill our homes, why can't we have one to just plain turn off townies completely for a specific world.
  • veiledstarveiledstar Posts: 587 Member
    It seems that some of the townies are generated from having sims in your tray folder. I noticed that less are generated if you don't have any in there. It will be a household file. Some of the are NPC's that are moving into lots, so make sure you have in your options menu that sims can't move into empty houses. I just clear out the random townies every few hours of gameplay, but until there is a mod to stop the game from generating them, I think we are stuck with them.
    NraasSignature.png
  • himawarahimawara Posts: 3 New Member
    Suzy
    I so much would like such an option to simply turn it off.

Veiledstar
    That's interesting, I will have a look into this.
  • oepuannaoepuanna Posts: 2 New Member
    I hate this excessive ugly townie generating too. I want to meet my created townies in the city and not random. I keep deleting them constantly. But the game is faster in creating new ones, than I can delete. I don't want to delete Sims all the time. I want to Play. Please fix this in a Patch or Tell Us how to Mod this.
  • Aotearoa14Aotearoa14 Posts: 155 Member
    This has often been a problem with every version of the Sims games. You want your friends to turn up but townies do instead. Gets worse with expansions when pets/paparazzi/supernaturals start replacing your own Sims at public places.

Helps if you are good friends with people or have a big family.
  • BirkscheBirksche Posts: 9 New Member
    i have created 83! familys as townies, but the game created more and more, from 5 sims in the streets are 4 sims created by the game...please, we need a option to stop it!
  • LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    180?

Gah!

No wonder, I have 50 households in my unplayed bin and thought that was enough to stop the spawning. When I zoom out in my neighborhood, I can see my unplayed Sims walking around. Yet, when I go to any sort of public place? All I see are a bunch of random Sims and the townies I created are nowhere to be found. I keep deleting them and they keep respawning. They are worse than roaches, somebody make a Raid mod....please....to make them stop spawning.

Not only are they townies created by the game but 3/4 of them are old, like ready to go see Grim old. I have aging turned off so it's not from townies aging up. They are being spawned that age.
  • SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    I have been experimenting with the Manage Households feature to change the nature of the townies that have been generated in my game. In my case my game was only generating male children in households with two adult females. Weird that every single auto-generated family should have two adult females and one male child. It will not allow you to edit pre-existing sims but what you can do is add and delete sims from the household using create-a-sim. So if you don't like the townies the game is generating you could manage it yourself in that fashion. It's a lot more work than I would like and I wish the game would be smarter than it appears to be so I didn't have to manage my own town's demographics. I miss Twallan. His story progression did this stuff for me.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • himawarahimawara Posts: 3 New Member
    I've looked into the code and it seems the game deletes those townies the sims interact the least. So when there is no relationship with other sims the game is more likely to delete those. But I experienced that the more I visit community lots, the more EA townies are generated. This ranges from about 7 to 40 EA households.
    I think it needs a story progression mod from a well experienced modder. Because there is a large amount of files involoved.
  • AlahyanaAlahyana Posts: 37 Member
    In my case the game did something worse... it deleted ALL the sims that were not in houses and mostly of these sims were created by me or downloaded from the gallery... and I'm pretty sure I didn't have 180 sims...

Also all the sims that game generate have latinos features (it is because I live in Costa Rica?), I created several asians, black and white sims to have more diversity, but all of them were deleted... I really want the game stop deleting sims and create new ones... there should be an option for that!!!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Alahyana wrote: »
    In my case the game did something worse... it deleted ALL the sims that were not in houses and mostly of these sims were created by me or downloaded from the gallery... and I'm pretty sure I didn't have 180 sims...

Also all the sims that game generate have latinos features (it is because I live in Costa Rica?), I created several asians, black and white sims to have more diversity, but all of them were deleted... I really want the game stop deleting sims and create new ones... there should be an option for that!!!

Answered you on your other topic :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    It's not a bug. It's working the way they want it too. I'm sure they will adjust it eventually.

There's a mod to stop it. Look up sims 4 reduced townie generation.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    I'm with you on this. In one of my hoods I just want the Sims I place to be in there. I don't want townies. Not only does it continually generate townies, but they are the only ones that show up in the public places. I have about 11 of my own families in the world, yet none of them show up at any of the parks or venues -- just random townies everywhere. I've even deleted all the townies from Manage Households and yet they still spawn. What the heck is up with that? We have a button in Options to turn off automatically having townies fill our homes, why can't we have one to just plain turn off townies completely for a specific world.

I'm with you in this one.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    I actually have that mod installed have still seen a couple new townies show up, but definitely not as bad. Tis nice seeing my main sim's brother in the small park next to town each day when the kids are in school, for example.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • shacoriashacoria Posts: 247 Member
    This freaking townies are driving me crazy. I don't want anyone in my neighborhoods except the people I create. No outsiders welcome.
  • BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    The game generates Townies every time you go to a community lot. It also generates a few townies as pedestrians when you stay home. The game doesn't reuse existing Townies when it makes visitors and pedestrians, or the Sims that live in houses or the Sims you make or download. This doesn't seem like it can possibly be on purpose but that's how it works and it's never been fixed. (It sounds to me from stuff I've read they may be fiddling with it some now.)

There is at least one mod, Fewer Random Townies on Community Lots, that will get the game to use existing sims as visitors to community lots and crime scenes and stuff if it can find existing Sims that meet the criteria for visitors to that lot (like Elders for night clubs). So it doesn't stop Townie generation, but it slows it way down. It is also really fun to see Sims you know show up on community lots and walking by.

The game also starts deleting Sims when the population hits 180 (they may have raised the limit or put it on a sliding scale of some kind with the release of GT) but it will still generate new Townies every time you go to a community lot, it will just kill off an equal number of Sims that night. There's at least one mod, MC Command Center, that has a setting for turning culling off, but you risk having the game fill up with way too many Sims if you just turn it off.

Much of the reason for the population limit seems to be to reduce load screen time, and it's probably ridiculously low for people playing on gaming PCs because EA is trying to accommodate laptop players. So if you're playing on a good desktop you can probably have a lot more than 180 Sims before you start having performance problems. You do it at your own risk, though.
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
    @Bilmonaghan - The 180 was raised to 210 in December (but possibly lower for people with lower specs).
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • allieb312allieb312 Posts: 305 Member
    Go to settings and gameplay
    Uncheck the Townie button so they don't generate into all the empty houses.
  • BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    edited February 2016
    @Bilmonaghan - The 180 was raised to 210 in December (but possibly lower for people with lower specs).
    @luthienrising:

Ba hahaha ha! That was precisely my guess! I even had one of my Sims speculating about that as we read the convoluted patch notes!

Those notes and a thread about it with some Gurus chiming in were full of misdirection about algorithms and how it was all just too complex for us low-bred Simmers to understand. I began to suspect that all they did was raise the population limit so GT would not be met with a chorus of complaints when people download the two dozen residents of Windenburg and their Townies start disappearing.

But I never saw where EA came out and said all they did was raise the limit. I assumed they didn't just come out and say it because that would be like A.) admitting that the population limit was arbitrarily low and B.) telling people on low-spec rigs that they're just going to have to suffer -- gasp! -- slightly longer load screens.

Did you actually see that figure somewhere? Did EA release the number or did you or some modder ferret it out of the code? Not that I don't believe you, I just wonder about the source.

Thanks for that information.

BTW, I see your posts a lot and I appreciate your work in teh GD Forum, trying to inject some reason into the discourse here. I don't know how you can stand it. Ba haha haha!
    Post edited by Bilmonaghan on
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
    @luthienrising:

Ba hahaha ha! That was precisely my guess! I even had one of my Sims speculating about that as we read the convoluted patch notes!

Those notes and a thread about it with some Gurus chiming in were full of misdirection about algorithms and how it was all just too complex for us low-bred Simmers to understand. I began to suspect that all they did was raise the population limit so GT would not be met with a chorus of complaints when people download the two dozen residents of Windenburg and their Townies start disappearing.

But I never saw where EA came out and said all they did was raise the limit. I assumed they didn't just come out and say it because that would be like A.) admitting that the population limit was arbitrarily now and B.) telling people on low-spec rigs that they're just going to have to suffer -- gasp! -- slightly longer load screens.

Did you actually see that figure somewhere? Did EA release the number or did you or some modder ferret it out of the code? Not that I don't believe you, I just wonder about the source.

Thanks for that information.

BTW, I see your posts a lot and I appreciate your work in teh GD Forum, trying to inject some reason into the discourse here. I don't know how you can stand it. Ba haha haha!

People looking to code saw the number, IIRC :)

And thank you! I'm a stubborn woman ;)
  • CatarinaSimmerCatarinaSimmer Posts: 7 New Member
    Those random townies are KILLING me.
    I downloaded a lot of hair and clothes from the Internet, and now the random townies are getting even uglier.
    But i'll try dressing those more properly. That's a good idea. Can you imagine a black woman walking around with blonde hair? I think it look awful.
    Other thing that bothers me is that all Sims available to hire in my restaurant are game-generated. And these guys don't have any skills. I want to use my own Sims! They look beautiful, dress properly and are skilled chefs.
  • coldplay2233coldplay2233 Posts: 451 Member
    #YouDontRule
  • DivineHysteriaDivineHysteria Posts: 732 Member
    One thing I do is edit and manage the homeless sims closely.
    I literally filled up the homeless households with sims I've made.
    And now I only get old people from time to time when my game generates and i edit/replace them when I feel like it too at times.
    xo0yscju
  • rshell193rshell193 Posts: 284 Member
    I honestly don't mind random townies popping up here and there. It makes it more interesting and interactive. Looking at the same Sims every time I make my family go out would get weird. Having more random townies makes the game feel more open to me. It's like going outside in real life and seeing people you've never seen before.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'm the opposite - I love random townies!

My game doesn't have enough of them and for some reason they all seem to be elders. I'm getting a bit tired of just meeting the sims I created everywhere.