Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Weird work glitch? Plus, uni careers don't work as planned...

Okay, so my soon-to-be-married Sims return from university back to their house. My female Sim is an Art Appraiser, which INITIALLY worked exactly as it should. Upon arriving home, the job offer box popped up, I hit yes, and she was able to go to work.

My male Sim was offered the Video Game Designer job while at university, but I had forgotten that back at home (before uni), he had a police job. So, here's a little tidbit for you: if your Sim already has a job when they return home, you won't be able to join the exclusive careers that you only get by climbing the social ladders at uni, because it will never prompt you, even if you quit your Sim's current job.

Whatever, I use "testingcheatsenabled" to set his job to Video Game Designer, and here's where it got messed up. My Sims could not go to work. At all. They would try to go, and they would even head to the carpool, but they couldn't get in. Even when I got them to go to the building where they supposedly worked, they couldn't enter. It was a "resetsim" effect, where they would reset every time they tried to go to work, and then they'd stop trying altogether.

Anyone else encountered this problem? If so, any fix? I didn't save my game, luckily, so it will be back where I initially started. Just, arghh. I'm not actually that annoyed about the glitch, I'm far more irritated that EA never thought of the fact that if you already have a job, you can't actually get the "special careers" in-game anymore.

Comments

• amberadeamberade Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    That's weird, I had a job as an actor and was able to quit the job and join the career through the prompt. Your carpool bug sounds like the normal "Sims wont go to work" bug. Just change your career outfit and it should start working.
  • beastcam1beastcam1 Posts: 952 Member
    edited March 2013

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble with the new jobs. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem, but everyone else seems to be starting with fresh sims instead of sims that already have jobs. I can see how that would cause problems if it didn't transmit right.
    As for the restsim cheat, it's very unsafe to use right now as it's causing tons of people some major problems. It's good that you could revert back to an old save point.

11214097_1612418725701927_822627218776693780_n.jpg?oh=127705e00ae1fd059d1e5266630299b5&oe=5619A988
  • crimrosecrimrose Posts: 401 New Member
    edited March 2013
    Thanks to both of you. I'll try the "work outfit" fix, it sounds plausible because my Sims' outfits were set to weird things that I didn't pick (like the university grad robes!).

But I actually think it was a result of using the cheat, that caused the glitch somehow, because I've never had the "Sims can't go to work" glitch before. Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure how to get around the "no prompt" thing right now without using the cheat, but perhaps a mod might help. Master Controller, maybe? We'll see. Thanks.
  • xxKingdomHeroxxxxKingdomHeroxx Posts: 2 New Member
    edited March 2013
    Has anyone had a problem with the game developer career and Aurora Skies?
    When I go to accept the game developer career when I get back from university in the employment tab it still says I'm unemployed. I've even tried 'setcareer' from the mailbox to game developer and still unemployed.
    Is there a specific building you have to put in order to join this career?
    This is driving me insane! I want my sim to be a game developer lol

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • SimSassybreeSimSassybree Posts: 473 Member
    edited March 2013
    Have you tried to upload resume on your phone? Thats how you look through your offers for jobs based on your university degree, it may be there. This is of course after you get home from uni.
  • snapkittycatsnapkittycat Posts: 5
    edited March 2013
    YES!!! My sims is having problems going to work too! I had made a family in aurora skies, and she used to be a Forensic Scientist, and after getting university she was able to reach level 10 of being a nerd, she got a job offer to be a Video Game Developer (she never went to university) But I accepted the job anyways, but every time the carpool shows up SHE CAN'T GO??
  • snapkittycatsnapkittycat Posts: 5
    edited March 2013
    When I go to accept the game developer career when I get back from university in the employment tab it still says I'm unemployed. I've even tried 'setcareer' from the mailbox to game developer and still unemployed.
    My sims live in Aurora Skies and She is a video game developer also, but can't go to work!:/ I've tried looking for a certain building to put in but there is none.
  • chaosmechaosme Posts: 58 Member
    edited March 2013
    Video game developers work out of the business building. You can send your sim there directly to join that career after your sim has unlocked it.
  • spencerkspencerk Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I have the Video Game Developer Career. Has anyone else with this career had the problem of not being able to fulfill the gaming requirement? I play games all day at work and a bunch at home and the little face thing on the career tab never gets happy.
  • OCweemanOCweeman Posts: 9
    edited March 2013
    My sims live in Aurora Skies and She is a video game developer also, but can't go to work!:/ I've tried looking for a certain building to put in but there is none.

I have been having this same issue and it's maddening! My Sims also live in Aurora Skies and before going to University, my young adlut sim earned the Video Game Developer career, so I accepted, then sent her off to earn a degree in Technology. Everything in University town went fine, got her degree and when she came home, she was level 2 in the Video Game Developer career but when the car pool came, she just "jumped" to a new spot on the home lot.

I have tried using the "resetSim" cheat, changing her outfit, clicking on the "Go to work" button in the UI, going into town view and clicking on the business building and selecting "Work"...I even tried moving to a new house. Nothing worked...I tried bulldozing and replacing the business building, which changed her career to "Unemployed", and now I even though that career shows as an option for her, anytime I click to "Join career", it shows up in her activity queue but then just ends in the jump bug again, and she remains unemployed.

The only mod I'm using is Twallan's Once Read/Once Read Tablet. I have all of the EP and SP and most of the Store content. I'm hoping someone can help find a fix for this soon!
  • wdfhiwdfhi Posts: 85 Member
    edited March 2013
    When you sim is offered a special social job, you can decline and later accept via a computer or related rabbithole. Not sure if you tried doing that. My sim was offered a sports agent job from being a jock. I declined but I can go to the stadium and join the sports agent career.
  • GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited March 2013
    I've been having a similar problem to the OP. My sim is eligible for the game programmer career, but any time I send her to join it as the business rabbit hole she resets. She also resets when I try to have her join it via the computer or newspaper. The mailbox career cheat does nothing either. Anyone else?

I was thinking about bulldozing the rabbit hole and placing it again to see if that helps.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • OCweemanOCweeman Posts: 9
    edited March 2013
    GreenCats wrote:
    I've been having a similar problem to the OP. My sim is eligible for the game programmer career [...]

I was thinking about bulldozing the rabbit hole and placing it again to see if that helps.

I did just that....I even tried using one of the business buildings from a different town (specifically High Products Business Building from Twinbrook), thinking maybe it was an issue with the building itself. Unfortunately, after going through all the trouble, I still had the same issues with the Video Game Developer career. Regardless of whether I had her try to join that career using the phone, computer or clicking on the building itself, she just reset and "jumped" to a new location.

I also posted this issue about a week ago on the Store Content Bug list thinking maybe it's an issue with Aurora Skies (I have not tried this career in another town) but unfortunately there have been no replies at all on that thread since my post. :cry:

I sure hope this can all get figured out soon!
  • stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited March 2013
    spencerk wrote:
    I have the Video Game Developer Career. Has anyone else with this career had the problem of not being able to fulfill the gaming requirement? I play games all day at work and a bunch at home and the little face thing on the career tab never gets happy.

Someone said in another thread that the sim had to choose the "play game online" option in order to get the happy face. My sims haven't graduated yet, so I have no clue if it works.
    Have you tried to upload resume on your phone? Thats how you look through your offers for jobs based on your university degree, it may be there. This is of course after you get home from uni.

good to know, thanks!
    edited March 2013
    OCweeman wrote:
    GreenCats wrote:
    I've been having a similar problem to the OP. My sim is eligible for the game programmer career [...]

I did just that....I even tried using one of the business buildings from a different town (specifically High Products Business Building from Twinbrook), thinking maybe it was an issue with the building itself. Unfortunately, after going through all the trouble, I still had the same issues with the Video Game Developer career. Regardless of whether I had her try to join that career using the phone, computer or clicking on the building itself, she just reset and "jumped" to a new location.

I also posted this issue about a week ago on the Store Content Bug list thinking maybe it's an issue with Aurora Skies (I have not tried this career in another town) but unfortunately there have been no replies at all on that thread since my post. :cry:

I sure hope this can all get figured out soon!

Yeh, that's not working for me either :(

I even tried replacing it with a different business building (the one from ST) but that didn't help.

For me it's only the VGD career; the other two UL careers are fine.

I'm in Twinbrook so it's not just AS. And it's not just one sim, because all the other sims in my neighbourhood have the same problem with this career. It's not even to do with that rabbit hole, because my sim in the business career can get to work fine.

But I wonder if it's something to do with a glitched save? Have you tried other it with a new family in a new neighbourhood? You could use cheats to level up in the nerd social group so you don't have to go through all the motions again. That's what my next step will be.

I'm wondering if you have any mods installed? Just trying to eliminate all the possibilities here.

As soon as I've tested this in a vanilla game, I'll be reporting the issue in Crinrict's UL Bug Thread.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Ellymay87Ellymay87 Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    I did the University thing, got the degree and got back home. Then I was prompted to upload a resume and when I go to click it nothing happens. I keep clicking it and still nothing happens. Anyone else have this issue? Please help me :(
  • azawadskiazawadski Posts: 4
    edited March 2013
    Anyone try the sports agent career? My sim is level 7 in this career and can start earning money by negotiating contracts, but every time I have her negotiate her actions bar resets and she will even magically move to another room and nothing ever come from the the negotiating. Almost like she resets each time. It's very frustrating!!!
  • DaletheSimDaletheSim Posts: 430 New Member
    edited March 2013
    There seem to be a lot of glitches related to these jobs. I've made it to level ten in both the art appraiser career and the sports agent career. I went back to university and was going to do the video game developer career and had the problem with the getting to work. The carpool comes and I click on it and it jumps. The same thing happens with clicking the building and clicking the go to work button.

Another glitch I had is when I back from university I couldn't go back to work in the sports agent career. The same thing happened as happens with video game career. I was able to have my other Sim get the video game career. She had only gone to university once. I'm not sure if that's what causes it though.
    edited April 2013
    For those of you having resetting issues related to the new jobs, here's how I fixed mine:

1. Deleted the relevant lot in Edit Town, then deleted the actual empty lot underneath it (doing only the first of these wasn't sufficient to fix my problem).
    2. Added a new empty lot using the in-game World Editor.
    3. Built a new lot on top of it with the relevant lot type and relevant building from 'community objects'. (You may instead be able to place a saved version of your old lot from you library, but I didn't try it that way.)
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited April 2013
    Ellymay87 wrote:
    I did the University thing, got the degree and got back home. Then I was prompted to upload a resume and when I go to click it nothing happens. I keep clicking it and still nothing happens. Anyone else have this issue? Please help me :(

This happened to my Sim. To make things a million times worse, now for some reason every single Sim in the whole neighborhood is unemployed and can't get a job, not through the newspaper, or computer, or smartphone. The option is completely gone.

EDIT: Found out the problem. When my Sim came back from Uni, every single community lot in the neighborhood was either missing or set to a nonspecific "community lot." No businesses, no parks, no place for anyone to work. I had to manually rebuild and/or rezone everything. What a pain.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • EpicLetdownEpicLetdown Posts: 38 Member
    edited April 2013
    GreenCats wrote:
    For those of you having resetting issues related to the new jobs, here's how I fixed mine:

1. Deleted the relevant lot in Edit Town, then deleted the actual empty lot underneath it (doing only the first of these wasn't sufficient to fix my problem).
    2. Added a new empty lot using the in-game World Editor.
    3. Built a new lot on top of it with the relevant lot type and relevant building from 'community objects'. (You may instead be able to place a saved version of your old lot from you library, but I didn't try it that way.)

Also, evicting your family in Edit Town and moving them straight back into their house from the clipboard worked for me. That way my Art Appraiser's Criminal husband didn't lose his job either by removing his workplace in Monte Vista!

Hope this helps everyone!
  • MetalMiztressMetalMiztress Posts: 9 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I've been struggling with this glitch for days!

HOWEVER! I found an easy fix that worked for me.

BEFORE the carpool is due to arrive, "plan outfit" (if id tried it when my sim was due for work it would crash my sims)
    Create a new career outfit and exit. I changed into this outfit before the carpool arrived and my sim went to work fine!!

This glitch usually means changing my sim into the career outfit, however with university, and the new careers, even this wouldn't work. So editing the outfit before the carpool is due seems to work for me.

You'd think these sort of glitches would be obsolete by now with how long the sims has been running for.

Hope I helped some poeple :D:D:D
  • VizarianVizarian Posts: 19 New Member
    edited July 2013
    I've had the can't-go-to-work glitch a few times before and have worked around it in the past by changing the sim's career outfit.

Now I have a sim in the Art Appraiser career and when I try to "plan outfit" at the dresser, I don't have a tab for editing career outfits at all!
  • katricekatrice Posts: 3
    edited June 2014
    I have found a way! By using the cheats I clicked the mailbox and was able to get the video gamer job. Only problem is that I could only get the highest most advanced job. I did not get the fun of going through the process. When I clicked the other job titles nothing happened. At least my sim is still young and can enjoy having money for several years.