Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Enough with the death calls.

My Sims can not even take a vacation without getting a call that some unknown Sim has died. These are total strangers that have died and why are you calling my Sims ?.
So if your Sim waves at another Sim that gives them to harass your Sim about there death.

Comments

• Options
    indi_geckoindi_gecko Posts: 15 Member
    In the same vein, stop asking if my sim wants to go to a dance party or hang out. I get calls all the time from the welcome wagon group. They aren't even friends.
  • Options
    EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves about the game. Getting phone calls every five minutes from random sims that I don't even want anything to do with, drives me crazy!

We really, really, really need to be able to give and revoke our phone numbers the same way we do apartment keys, or at least have some kind of toggle somewhere to turn on the sims we actually want to hear from.

It's way past overkill, and can really ruin some gameplay sessions. I don't think I will ever understand why there was a need to introduce these completely unnecessary "features", if we're only going to get beaten to death by them. I definitely share the frustration.
  • Options
    indi_geckoindi_gecko Posts: 15 Member
    In the romance menu, they can exchange numbers. What's the point of that interaction if you can't block people?
  • Options
    SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member
    edited July 2018
    My Sims can not even take a vacation without getting a call that some unknown Sim has died. These are total strangers that have died and why are you calling my Sims ?.
    So if your Sim waves at another Sim that gives them to harass your Sim about there death.

Yes it is WAY over the top. I mean WAY.

Yesterday, I wanted to have my Gen 3 Heir (child) meet some other children (since it's not like they meet kids at school anymore). So on her mom's day off, I had mom take her, the dog, and her toddler little sister to the park in the snow. Mom leashed the dog and took him to do the doggy obstacle course. Child met another kid and they were making a snow pal. Toddler had nothing to do so I sent her over to talk to her aunt, who does not live in the legacy household and whom she's actually never met before. Several other Sims came over. The toddler soon got the sad "strangers!" moodlet and started to cry. I sent mom over to comfort her and with Mom there everything was OK.

The next day, while the younger kid was still a toddler, her "phone" started to ring in the middle of the night. Bug #1 is that her "phone" was ringing, but when I clicked on it, the game told me "toddlers don't have phones." THEN WHY IS HERS RINGING? Make up your mind, game!

I thought, if she has no phone why is it ringing? This could only be one thing, a death. And sure enough when she woke up in the morning, she had a 2-day moodlet of Sad because a friend died. I checked... the "friend" who died, who she was mourning -- was listed as "Acquaintance" and, you guessed it, "Stranger." So now my toddler Sim who is afraid of strangers, is mourning the death of a stranger she met once, ever. And was afraid of. WHAT??

This is so clearly over the top that I can't even figure out how to put it into words. I've taken to saving up satisfaction points on spares and cadet spouses and such just in case I need to buy an extra "moodlet fixer" potion and I use these whenever what I consider an "invalid death call" occurs. I won't get rid of the mourning if mom or uncle or cousin dies -- these are appropriate mourning occasions. But I am not going to have my Sims mourning someone they only met once. I mean what the actual eff?

And even this did not work for my toddler because, apparently, toddlers can't drink potions. So thanks a lot game - I now have an unfixable 2-day "very sad" condition for my toddler Sim because a total stranger she didn't even enjoy meeting has died. That's right, the person whose existence MADE HER CRY, she's mourning over losing. Are you kidding me with this, Maxis?

(Thankfully, it was her birthday when this happened, so I just had dad make a cake for her ASAP, invited over a couple of Sims, and aged her up -- as a child she was able to drink the potion.)

But I think the most telling thing about this scenario is the toddler who doesn't have a phone getting a phone call -- it unambiguously demonstrates that the "death call" is something they thoughtlessly kludged into the game without even bothering to do proper error-checking. Else why are they having a phone ring when it doesn't exist? They clearly just put some kind of blanket code in the game that upon death, every Sim object notifies every other Sim object that it ever met that it is dead. It's like they just have the thing going through an array of names and executing the same script, without bothering to do some if-else checking so that ONLY people who are "friends" or above are notified. This is so lazy I can't even put it into words.

These death calls need to stop. NOW.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Silly yes, but kinda don't want Sims to have dead relative, friends or even sims they don't know calling them so randomly. Ended up getting that modded out because it got pretty obnoxious with the ghosts.

If anyone is interested in a mod deichschafblog.de/s4/sonstige-mods/

Just scroll down and download the noghostfix mod and no more inappropriate invitations.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    SuRihtanilSuRihtanil Posts: 1,456 Member

You're my hero! My sims is forever sad because of death calls! lol. Someone dies everyday it seems like now. My sims phone rings off the hook 24-7 its annoying when I am trying to fast forward the game.
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    There's a new "Balanced Death Moodlets" mod over at MTS. I have it in and my goodness what a difference it makes. This mod is the way mourning should be implemented.
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=615431

You know how much of a pain in the behind it is to run a retail store? Yeah. Joe Customer who came in a couple days ago died. Then Jane Customer died the following day. A big ol' stack of sad moodlets for sims they barely know.

That or you bump into somebody at a club once and they blow up your phone to hang out and of course they're sad for 2 days because they died. It's way over the top.

I like the idea of getting phone calls that sims off the lot have died, but there should be a threshold,like if they were a friend at least, or a relative you knew and liked.
  • Options
    Finvola wrote: »
    I like the idea of getting phone calls that sims off the lot have died, but there should be a threshold,like if they were a friend at least, or a relative you knew and liked.

This, 100%

Whether you're sad, by how much (+1, +2, +4, etc.), and for how long (12 hr, 1 day, 2 days) should be based on how well you knew them and how high the relationship is. It should be based on how "full" the "green friendship bar" is. If there isn't even a single green pixel in that bar, why is the Sim mourning?
  • Options
    Yes, I totally agree. There is no reason to have a full on mourning moodlet for somebody you met in passing. If you play on Short, or even Normal, it's like a sim will spend their entire lives mourning over people they don't know. I had a very glitchy one. One of my retail store owners is a cat person and she had a +5 mourning moodlet for a cat death but no cat had died. Her cat was fine and none of the strays she met had died either. The only thing I could think of was it somehow got bugged and it was yet another customer who died and she had that reaction. I checked and checked to see if at least a cat she knew died, but none had. It was bizarre!

That's what that mod Iinked does, it is my hope that EA will tweak it themselves in the future, but until then (if they ever do), I will use the mod.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    indi_gecko wrote: »
    In the same vein, stop asking if my sim wants to go to a dance party or hang out. I get calls all the time from the welcome wagon group. They aren't even friends.

I don't mind the calls, but they are sent at the most inconvenient time. Asking me to go out to eat while in the middle of eating. Asking me to an event after my sim goes to sleep. Asking to go somewhere within 1 hour of work.
  • Options
    I don't mind the calls, but they are sent at the most inconvenient time. Asking me to go out to eat while in the middle of eating. Asking me to an event after my sim goes to sleep. Asking to go somewhere within 1 hour of work.

Yup.

Often times I would *like* to say yes but just not at this instant. Sometimes it is from my Sim's brother and her younger kids have barely met him, and yes, they should all hang out as a family and get to know each other. He is their uncle after all. But she just put the kids to bed and three of her needs bars are yellow. Now is not convenient. Can't I agree to come "later"? "I'll be over as soon as I am done", is it really that hard to make such a thing work?

What I have taken to doing now, sometimes, is saying no, and then as soon as I can, invite the caller over. More often than not they come, and we can socialize at a time that is more convenient.

But yeah why are they calling at 3 AM? Or calling the kid while she is in school? Or the mom while she is at work??
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    indi_gecko wrote: »
    In the romance menu, they can exchange numbers. What's the point of that interaction if you can't block people?

Mmm, but that interaction is in the romance menu. If exchanging numbers was actually an interaction in that menu, then you'd be doing a romantic action towards a Sim you may not want your Sim to romance. But I'm sure you knew that already.

That interaction should definitely be a friendly one. That way, you can pick which Sims actually call you.
  • Options
    hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
    Well in the defense of the creators, there were SEVERAL complaints about the lack of concern with how death was being handled in the game so in a way they kind of gave us what we were asking for.
    2llotup.jpg
    The Best of Hunni's Builds
    Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    hunniboo1 wrote: »
    Well in the defense of the creators, there were SEVERAL complaints about the lack of concern with how death was being handled in the game so in a way they kind of gave us what we were asking for.

The same thought crossed my mind.
  • Options
    Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member

Lol, yes we will, but no this terrible dud!

It only shows how miserable they are doing!

Sure I wanted to have some reaction to the death of a relative or a friend! But not for every sim they meet once.
    Anyone who has a reason would like to call it from then on. when I feel at least 30% of the green friendship and the sim has got 6 hours of sadness. If the buddies were to get sadness for 12 hours, and in the case of good friends and family relatives - 24 hours. And only close relatives, direct kinship, and best friends sorrow for two days!
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Nice young couple just bought there first home and have not finished unpacking when boom the phone rang. It was death letting you know a complete stranger has just died.
    It's suppose to be a happy time for this young couple but nope 2 days of grief for a stranger.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

If this was their intent, it was the laziest (and sloppiest) possible way to implement what people were asking for. (Plus, it's not what anyone specifically wanted, I'm sure.)

Look at some of the stories on this thread. Notice how, for example, my toddler, who has no phone, got a phone call in the middle of the night about a stranger who, the one time she met her, frightened said toddler. Notice how, when I saw the phone ringing graphic on the toddler, I thought it was odd, but I clicked it anyway, and got a note that "toddlers don't have phones." At the same time, although she could not answer the phone, she still got the "sad" moodlet over the "death of someone" (I had to check her relationship panel to see how it was since, lacking a phone, the game couldn't tell me.) This demonstrates that they just blanket implemented this so that every sim that dies gives every sim they've ever met a sad moodlet. They were so careless they didn't even bother to error-check their code so that toddler's didn't get phone calls when they don't have phones! It is quite literally the laziest possible way to implement a "death reaction."

Also, when a Sim dies, if people in your Sim family have different levels of relationships -- say one is a bare acquaintance, one is a friend, one is a good friend, they will ALL get the same moodlet of the same intensity for the same period of time. They all feel equally sad, despite the fact that one hardly knew the dead guy and another was good friends with him. That doesn't give death consequence. It makes death meaningless, because everyone's death is as mournful as your best friend's.

This reminds me of the old Incredibles (1) movie theme - when everyone's "special," no one is. When every death causes "mourning" then no particular death has consequence. This toddler Sim is as sad for as long from the death of a stranger, as she'll be in a few Sim weeks when her own father dies. How is that appropriate?

This would be like if they went live with no half-walls in build mode, and people 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about half-walls, and so they put out an update in which all existing walls became half-walls and the game ONLY had half-walls from then on. Sure people wanted half-walls but not like that.
  • Options
    AlienSimmerAlienSimmer Posts: 21 Member
    I get like over 50 calls when my sim makes a new friend. Like thank you Brenda, for telling me that John and I are friends and how great he is. I know that already.
  • Options
    I get like over 50 calls when my sim makes a new friend. Like thank you Brenda, for telling me that John and I are friends and how great he is. I know that already.

Just wait a while, and she'll be calling you to tell you John is dead, too.
  • Options
    AlienSimmerAlienSimmer Posts: 21 Member
    > @SimChessack said:
    > acastro0201 wrote: »
    >
    > I get like over 50 calls when my sim makes a new friend. Like thank you Brenda, for telling me that John and I are friends and how great he is. I know that already.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Just wait a while, and she'll be calling you to tell you John is dead, too.

i'm cackling so hard right now omg
  • Options
    TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    I guess I'm thankful I have aging off in my game. I'd probably throw it out the window by now.
  • Options
    Played my save with the retail store last night and I had a notification come up while they were at home that there were no items left for sale in the store, so I knew that could only mean one thing. One of their employees popped their clogs. The phone call came in right after. I am using that mod I linked, so the sad moodlet wasn't as strong as it would have been, but he was still regarded as a friend and that was news to me because this couple are both Loners and they don't really like anybody but each other and the cat. :D I hated that guy. I fired him once when he was younger and had to hire him back because he was the best out of a bad bunch of choices.
  • Options
    TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    > @TravisBlackfox said:
    > I guess I'm thankful I have aging off in my game. I'd probably throw it out the window by now.

Iroically I've always played with aging off, but switched it on several weeks ago to expeirence something new in the game; and found it almost unplayable with this current problem. Needless to say, my game has gone back to aging off until it's looked at. :)
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    I'm leaving it on so far in this Legacy (since you are supposed to). But I have noticed in addition to all the death calls that the neighborhoods have almost no one in them (who owns property) anymore. Many of the houses are either empty or owned by a ghost. It's rather sad to see that four years in, they STILL have this problem with neighborhoods.
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Getting neighborhoods from becoming ghost towns is next to impossible unless we fill them ourselves. So your living in a ghost town with no other living Sim besides your family but you get Death Calls.
    No game is perfect but the Sims is skipping the testing all together for Wall Street.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top