Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The MBTI thread!

ZedieZedie Posts: 38 Member
Heya! So an off topic discussion yes...and one that I have been praying someone will make a traits mod for. :wink: I love personality theory, and as such I understand that the MBTI personality indicator is flawed like all other psychological theories - that being said, I find it fun and a great way to connect with people and understand how each other thinks on some level, to assist in becoming less judgemental and more open minded.

For those of you who don't know what it is, I have stolen this description shamelessly from Wikipedia. "The Myers–Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is an introspective self-report questionnaire with the purpose of indicating differing psychological preferences in how people perceive the world around them and make decisions".

It basically operates on the theory that humans experience life through a primary function (of which there are 8), and the way in which they process information and events is effected by their following 3 functions - all the way down to an inferior function...the pesky one that comes out to play when you experience high stress, sadness, or destructive behaviour. It is the function you'll least identify with.

For this reason, the test is NOT DICHOTOMUS despite many online tests presenting it as such...so avoid tests based on percentages. For example, being alone a lot does not make you an introvert! Being bubbly does not make you an extravert. You may experience life in an introverted way and still be an extravert based on your immediate processing of the world being external - for example, needing to connect with external harmonic emotions rather than your internal opinions, or feeling at home interacting with nature or physicality before anything else.

At a glance, the 8 functions include the following:

Extraverted Sensing is what happens when you pay attention to what your 5 senses (touch, taste, smell, hearing, seeing) are telling you about the real world. It's a real time process that is happening now.

So if you pay attention to a sound coming from a bird just outside your door, that's your brain using it's extraverted sensing function to pay attention to the sound.

Introverted Sensing is when you remember the sound of a bird that you heard last week. Because you are paying attention to the memory of it in your mind, rather than the real live event.

Extraverted Intuiting is when you see several possible futures. It's when you do rapid fire brainstorm. It's when you see connections and patterns between people and events.

Introverted Intuiting is when you get insights that seem to come from nowhere. It's when you have those "aha" moments.

Extraverted Thinking is making decisions about the external world using objective facts.

Extraverted Feeling is making decisions based on a value system that is concerned with the well being of people. These values are more global and cultural than personal.

Introverted Thinking is making decisions based on data, categories, and theories inside your mind.

Introverted Feeling is about making decisions based on your personal values and being concerned more with how things impact you personally than how the group is impacted.

So, what type are y'all....and what types do you think your sims could be? I'm an INFJ, something I struggled to accept for years due to it being the most uncommon type of the 16. I feared for a while I just wanted to be special...haha. But after extensively considering all other types, it fit the best! Remember, MBTI is not about boxing each other into categories and generalising them, it's about understanding the processes in which we think. Two people of the same type may even dislike each other, the functions simply theorise how we process information and form opinion.

My favourite version of the test is this one: http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm

Happy simming!
<3
~ Zedie

Comments

• MunyarMunyar Posts: 31 Member
    I am an INFP. Which is something that I'm not as surprised about as I thought I would be. I cheated a little bit and went to another site where I got the same answer, but the answer came with a characterization. For example INFPs are called Mediators and INFJs like yourself are called Advocates. I found this to be really cool and I figured you could go to Keys2Cognition for an understanding of yourself, then stop by the other site and learn about your characterization. The other site is called 16personalities

However, back on topic, I think that my latest character Alexia is an ESFP
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    The last couple of times, I got ISFJ, which seems about right
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • AnnikaperiAnnikaperi Posts: 535 Member
    I am an INFP. One of my main sims who is a musician is probably an INFJ. The others I have not figured out yet. But I love Myers-Briggs!
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited July 2018
    extraverted Sensing (Se) (22.7)
    limited use
    introverted Sensing (Si) (37.9)
    excellent use
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) (30.2)
    good use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) (14.1)
    unused
    extraverted Thinking (Te) (44.6)
    excellent use
    introverted Thinking (Ti) (46)
    excellent use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) (22.4)
    limited use
    introverted Feeling (Fi) (21.9)
    limited use

I don't understand a few phrase.
    I got ESTJ but is no very like me. I ever did MBTI only and I got ISTP-A and my S very high T and F are close. I think I'm not stereotyped ISTP. I'm quite practical and cautious, usually think lots, always find third choice in conflict, independent but not count introvert. I heard some people think female ISTP are tomboys but I'm not this type(only tough and calm).
    I don't know other sims, I think Shadow is stereotyped ISTP, Light maybe not stereotyped INTP, Linfeng maybe not stereotyped INTJ.
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I like Myers Briggs (it helps me when I'm writing characters) but the tests always get me wrong and I get so many different answers. I think I'm an ISFJ but I'm not sure.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• AnnikaperiAnnikaperi Posts: 535 Member
    When I took a class (in the 80s or 90s) that included a Myers-Briggs test, I thought, “This stuff is better than astrology!” It fit me to a tee. Other tests bore this out. But I don’t know enough to be able to type other people well.

When my oldest sister told me her type, I was shocked. “You can’t be an INFP.”

“Why?” she said.

“Because I am!” I guess I thought of us as being very different.

A fun book on Myers-Briggs is Give Yourself the Unfair Advantage by William D. G. Murray and Ashleigh Brilliant. It’s a good introduction, and the quiz went right along with other tests I have taken.
  • ZedieZedie Posts: 38 Member
    MBTI is flawed in as much as the theory behind it doesn't fit the type indicator which has been created. So that's why people always mistype, because the tests that they take rely on percentages which don't have a whole lot to do with the cognitive functions theory.

E.g. You can't be a certain % of of P, or J, or N. Thats why 16 personalities is more or less useless.

If you get N, it means that you either lead with Ne or Ni, or use it as your secondary function. So if you take a functions test and your highest percentage is Te, it means you lead with that function and are likely either an ENTJ or ESTJ - depending on the following functions of course you may also be an ISTJ or INTJ.
    extraverted Sensing (Se) (22.7)
    limited use
    introverted Sensing (Si) (37.9)
    excellent use
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) (30.2)
    good use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) (14.1)
    unused
    extraverted Thinking (Te) (44.6)
    excellent use
    introverted Thinking (Ti) (46)
    excellent use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) (22.4)
    limited use
    introverted Feeling (Fi) (21.9)
    limited use

I don't understand a few phrase.
    I got ESTJ but is no very like me. I ever did MBTI only and I got ISTP-A and my S very high T and F are close. I think I'm not stereotyped ISTP. I'm quite practical and cautious, usually think lots, always find third choice in conflict, independent but not count introvert. I heard some people think female ISTP are tomboys but I'm not this type(only tough and calm).
    I don't know other sims, I think Shadow is stereotyped ISTP, Light maybe not stereotyped INTP, Linfeng maybe not stereotyped INTJ.

Your results indicate that you are either an ESTJ, or potentially an INTP. Your Se is very low, so it is unlikely that you are an Se type (ESTP, ISTP, ISFP, ESFP). Although in saying that your Ni is also very, very low. Your results are a bit unusual actually. My guess is that the questions were a bit tricky to understand. I mean they are a bit over the top in their wording, in my opinion. However, tests are only useful as an indicator! The best way to type is to read up on Jungian functions and pick the ones that suits you. If you identify very strongly with any of the functions that I wrote about in my first post (Ni, Si, Fe etc..) then you are most likely going to be one of the 2 types that lead with that function. :)

I hope this explains it a bit more!
  • ZedieZedie Posts: 38 Member
    Annikaperi wrote: »
    When I took a class (in the 80s or 90s) that included a Myers-Briggs test, I thought, “This stuff is better than astrology!” It fit me to a tee. Other tests bore this out. But I don’t know enough to be able to type other people well.

When my oldest sister told me her type, I was shocked. “You can’t be an INFP.”

“Why?” she said.

“Because I am!” I guess I thought of us as being very different.

A fun book on Myers-Briggs is Give Yourself the Unfair Advantage by William D. G. Murray and Ashleigh Brilliant. It’s a good introduction, and the quiz went right along with other tests I have taken.

Oh yes, there are other tests with more psychological foundation than the MBTI. A lot...haha. I suppose this one just interests me as a hobby. I am particularly frustrated by how it is being used by businesses these days. It's lost its initial meaning and purpose over snobby business directors believing that being a certain type is determinable by a single group session and that it should impact the chance of hiring someone...anyway.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll check it out! I enjoy listening to Dario Nardi speak about his findings too. I haven't read his books though.

My sister and I are the same type too! I didn't believe it for a long time until we had a few discussions about the way we think and make decisions.
  • AstreonAstreon Posts: 1,291 Member
    I’ve taken the official test and I’m an INTJ.

87% Introverted
    34% Intuition
    77% Thinking
    12% Judging
  • SmoochsSmoochs Posts: 168 Member
    I'm an INFP, which is pretty accurate.

You are loved!
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I've taken it several times and gotten ISFJ/ESFJ as well as ISFP/ESFP. My I/E is pretty balanced (generally 50-60%), so that's not really unexpected. I don't know what's up with the J/P switches though, haha. Maybe because I've used so many different websites with different tests. ISFJ is probably the most accurate overall, though there are some areas where I definitely see more of the other three than that one.