Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unpopular Opinion about Seasons

First and foremost Seasons is ONE of my favorite packs in every Sims game (followed by University and Pets). The Sims Team did an amazing job when it came to the season's element. The ability to create our own holidays earns my stamp of approval and something I plan to heavily utilize in lets plays on Twitch/YouTube and in my own spare time. However, I've noticed that there are some things missing from seasons that I would have LIKED to see in the expansion that didn't make it for whatever reason.

The pack seems to have taken a fifty percent focus cut on seasons itself while the other fifty percent was focused on gardening. Now I do like how gardening works in the game now and really takes guessing work out I feel. It does make sense to change how plants behave during seasons, but it made me wonder ‘what was cut out due to the decision?’

Would we have hail and power outages during intense thunderstorms?
Would there have been more traditions available for holiday creation?
Would we have had snow that built up and the ability to build snow forts?
Could we have checked the weather on the TV or even the computer?
Could there have been a meteorology career that was playable?

Personally, I feel they should have made a change in how plants behave during seasons instead of a complete overhaul AND then release a gardening game pack itself. I would have coughed up the twenty dollars for it! I’m sure there are others who would too because they did a good job! Just feel decisions were made to cut this out and that out to make room for a gardening overhaul.

Comments

• ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    The Gardening overhaul was not really part of seasons... it was just free. All seasons really did was make the plants have seasons and add some more things to do with the harvestables.

If you're saying you would have rather paid $20 for what was given for free, well.. to each their own I guess :D
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I wish we had snow like in the previous games. Though I will say the glittery effect that the snow has is pretty, I miss the depth. Not really sure why they didn't include it unless the game engine just couldn't handle it. But hey, it is what it is, and this is what we have.

As for power outages, I would love to have had them. Not sure why we don't get things like that. But over all Sims 4 is just a way to safe game. Nothing bad ever happens. And I think I just answered my own question. Safe. That's the reason why there are not outages. lol

The weather channel actually forecasting the weather, or sims being able to check the weather out on the pc, etc. I'm going to say this. With this game (Sims 4), everything seems to be done half way. It's been like this since the start, and I honestly don't see that changing. I am enjoying Seasons, but like the other EPs, GPs, SFs before it, they are half done. And I've come to expect that. Sad but true.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    I have to agree with GoldenBuffy, I feel like TS4 will most likely be a half done game for the rest of its life and it is too safe. As much as I like playing TS4 I feel like they are trying to please too many people and are having to make many cuts like if you have a low powered computer that can't handle HD graphics then what is the point of having snow depth if a computer can't handle it. They got rid of the burglar because people got scared when the music came on so bye bye burglar even though you are part of everyday real life.
    Sadly I can't say if this is because of the game engine they use or if it just human error/laziness but sometimes I think just tell us what GP/SP/EP you are planning to release next and ask what we really want. I sometimes feel they don't really ask us what we want in a pack.
    Who knows something might change but I am not holding my breath lol at least I still have TS3 to fall back on.
  • SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member
    ManakoHime wrote: »
    IThey got rid of the burglar because people got scared when the music came on so bye bye burglar

Wait... is that really why they got rid of burglars?? The scary music?

Leaving aside, how could anyone get scared by The Sims... even if all that is true, why wouldn't they leave them in and just change the music?

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    IThey got rid of the burglar because people got scared when the music came on so bye bye burglar

No, if that were the issue, they could've just added them without music.
    People like to make up points to support their arguments from time to time, this would be an example of that~
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member

Leaving aside, how could anyone get scared by The Sims... even if all that is true, why wouldn't they leave them in and just change the music?

Nope. This has been debunked by SGGrant a while back.
  • ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    edited July 2018
    I have to agree with GoldenBuffy, I feel like TS4 will most likely be a half done game for the rest of its life and it is too safe. As much as I like playing TS4 I feel like they are trying to please too many people and are having to make many cuts like if you have a low powered computer that can't handle HD graphics then what is the point of having snow depth if a computer can't handle it. They got rid of the burglar because people got scared when the music came on so bye bye burglar even though you are part of everyday real life.
    Sadly I can't say if this is because of the game engine they use or if it just human error/laziness but sometimes I think just tell us what GP/SP/EP you are planning to release next and ask what we really want. I sometimes feel they don't really ask us what we want in a pack.
    Who knows something might change but I am not holding my breath lol at least I still have TS3 to fall back on.

Where are you getting any of the information you're talking about from? Snow depth was 100% confirmed to not be a performance issue but a design one, and theyve already said that burglars being scary has nothing to do with why they arent in the game.

I dont understand why you would just make things like this up. I understand that people wanted snow depth and burglars (I do too), but making up fake points for drama is silly.
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    edited July 2018
    Reksoh wrote: »

Where are you getting any of the information you're talking about from? Snow depth was 100% confirmed to not be a performance issue but a design one, and theyve already said that burglars being scary has nothing to do with why they arent in the game.

I dont understand why you would just make things like this up. I understand that people wanted snow depth and burglars (I do too), but making up fake points for drama is silly.

Exactly. And just to confirm this about burglars, before the rumour mill cranks up again, have a look at this:

http://simscommunity.info/2018/05/29/simgurugrant-debunks-a-crazy-rumor-about-why-burglars-are-not-in-the-sims-4/
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Reksoh wrote: »

Exactly. And just to confirm this about burglars, before the rumour mill cranks up again, have a look at this:

http://simscommunity.info/2018/05/29/simgurugrant-debunks-a-crazy-rumor-about-why-burglars-are-not-in-the-sims-4/

Grant himself debunked that rumor on twitter a few weeks ago - and said the only reason burglars are not in the game is because they have not put them in the game yet. He said he never heard of anyone being fearful of burglars.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited July 2018
    First and foremost Seasons is ONE of my favorite packs in every Sims game (followed by University and Pets). The Sims Team did an amazing job when it came to the season's element. The ability to create our own holidays earns my stamp of approval and something I plan to heavily utilize in lets plays on Twitch/YouTube and in my own spare time. However, I've noticed that there are some things missing from seasons that I would have LIKED to see in the expansion that didn't make it for whatever reason.

The pack seems to have taken a fifty percent focus cut on seasons itself while the other fifty percent was focused on gardening. Now I do like how gardening works in the game now and really takes guessing work out I feel. It does make sense to change how plants behave during seasons, but it made me wonder ‘what was cut out due to the decision?’

Would we have hail and power outages during intense thunderstorms?
    Would there have been more traditions available for holiday creation?
    Would we have had snow that built up and the ability to build snow forts?
    Could we have checked the weather on the TV or even the computer?
    Could there have been a meteorology career that was playable?

Personally, I feel they should have made a change in how plants behave during seasons instead of a complete overhaul AND then release a gardening game pack itself. I would have coughed up the twenty dollars for it! I’m sure there are others who would too because they did a good job! Just feel decisions were made to cut this out and that out to make room for a gardening overhaul.

the sims 4 seasons is really small. if you look at it compared to 3 theirs only about half the amount of features.

the packs get smaller and smaller with the sims 4.

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• DYWBeeDYWBee Posts: 34 Member
    Agree with the comment above. The packs seem smaller this time. I bought a stuff pack and Seasons last week and when I was looking through the new content my first thought was 'where is everything'. I bought a STUFF pack and there was barely any 'stuff' in it. An expansion pack should have far more content than Seasons had in it for the price we're paying.
    edited July 2018
    DYWBee wrote: »
    Agree with the comment above. The packs seem smaller this time. I bought a stuff pack and Seasons last week and when I was looking through the new content my first thought was 'where is everything'. I bought a STUFF pack and there was barely any 'stuff' in it. An expansion pack should have far more content than Seasons had in it for the price we're paying.

Agree.
    even pets was smaller this time with cats&dogs
    with the sims 3 seasons you needed 4.5 GB. hard dive space, however it seems with four you only need 3GB.
    Post edited by marcel21 on

• NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I prefer when the weather is presented directly to the player, rather than through a TV channel. It's one of these things where gameplay matters more than realism for me.
    edited July 2018
    repeated post

• BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited July 2018
    The Sims 4 pretty much gives you the precise weather for the day and the upcoming week (or around there, I don't remember). It's just too straight-forward and unrealistic. I like how in The Sims 2 and 3 while you can watch the weather channel/read the newspaper, it's not giving you 100% accuracy, and you have to direct your Sims to perform those actions to even get the forecast. In TS4, the 100% accurate forecast is in the calendar. The day's accurate forecast is also in the panel.

Really, I'd love for some spontaneity. And I'm not even talking about the "Mysterious Weather" days. I think those days are just straight-up silly. And I live somewhere where you can actually have a day like that (most often in the Winter). In reality there's not spontaneity in those days because it's forecasted spontaneity. I'd love for unforecasted rain/snow showers to occur every once in a while, like in the previous games.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • sleekoduck87sleekoduck87 Posts: 255 Member
    I like the way they handled the weather situation in TS4. In real life, weather reports have become far more accurate over the years because of better technology. Why shouldn't our Sims benefit from this as well?

As for the seasons being shorter, you can change one of the settings in the calendar to have each season last several weeks. There have been posts on this board about how that affected Sims' birthdays.
    I'm working on adding my mods to Curseforge. In the mean time, check out my YouTube channel & WordPress blog for more. I go by Sleekoduck. I'm also the one who figured out how to play The Sims 2 in Windows 8 and the original fix is on Facebook & LiveJournal. Thanks for the 100 Awesomes everyone!6a00e54ee3905b883301bb07e55862970.jpg
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    I like the way they handled the weather situation in TS4. In real life, weather reports have become far more accurate over the years because of better technology. Why shouldn't our Sims benefit from this as well?

Have IRL forecasts become more accurate? Yes. Have they become 100% correct forecasts for a whole week into the future? No, not at all.

That's the thing, even with more accurate forecasts IRL, they still are not 100% accurate. There are variables and unexpected things happen. The forecasts in The Sims games should be similar. They should be partially accurate, but there should still be room for surprises, and forecasts for a whole week out in the future should not be anywhere near 100% accurate.

I know, it's a video game, but The Sims 2 and 3 do this just fine, so can The Sims 4.

OO2UdmJ.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    BariSaxy wrote: »

Have IRL forecasts become more accurate? Yes. Have they become 100% correct forecasts for a whole week into the future? No, not at all.

That's the thing, even with more accurate forecasts IRL, they still are not 100% accurate. There are variables and unexpected things happen. The forecasts in The Sims games should be similar. They should be partially accurate, but there should still be room for surprises, and forecasts for a whole week out in the future should not be anywhere near 100% accurate.

I know, it's a video game, but The Sims 2 and 3 do this just fine, so can The Sims 4.

That is true, we were forecast to get the tail end of a hurricane and high winds this week. In reality we have had gorgeous sunshine, no wind and it’s been very hot.

I’m not a fan of the sims 4 weather predictions and I really dislike how you can’t check weather per different worlds. That is silly to me. The sims are obsessed with internet and checking the weather online should be a basic feature.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I miss the ability (TS2) to decide which worlds get which seasons and in what order. Few, if any, places on this planet of ours have four evenly lengthed seasons. I've lived in/been stationed at a lot of them, so know from first hand experience the world is not nearly as tidy as EA/Maxis pretends it is.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I don't really get why people want more Holiday traditions that much... I'd much rather have more activities for Sims, really (to be fair, it was a huge focus from the Sims team too).

I do agree that the packs are getting smaller, but they are adding different features too (like the calendar). The thermostat I really don't like and see no point in at all though. Checking the weather... *shrug*. They spend too much time on the computer as it is, I suppose it's more user-friendly for us to check the weather in advance without having a Sim do it (I REALLY wish we could check the weather for Vacation destinations though...).

I couldn't care less about visual things like snow depth... I just want things for Sims to do, and new things implemented better (like the swing - it doesn't raise fun and nobody gets on it - what's the point???).
  • SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member
    The thermostat... isn't one. Thermostats don't just have hot, cold, and off. They regulate temperature to keep things comfortable. Which is not how the thermostats in game work.

Also, using them inflates the bills to absurd levels. A couple of sim-weeks ago it was fall, and since it was cool/cold out, I set the thing to "warmer." End of the week after 3 or so days of use, my bills had quadrupled (under 3K to over 11K). That is just insane levels of use.

Now I don't even turn it on. I just made 2 sets of cold-wear -- one with a coat and one with a sweater, and put the Sims in sweaters indoors when it is cold out. But really that should not be how thermostats work.
    The thermostat... isn't one. Thermostats don't just have hot, cold, and off. They regulate temperature to keep things comfortable. Which is not how the thermostats in game work.

Also, using them inflates the bills to absurd levels. A couple of sim-weeks ago it was fall, and since it was cool/cold out, I set the thing to "warmer." End of the week after 3 or so days of use, my bills had quadrupled (under 3K to over 11K). That is just insane levels of use.

Now I don't even turn it on. I just made 2 sets of cold-wear -- one with a coat and one with a sweater, and put the Sims in sweaters indoors when it is cold out. But really that should not be how thermostats work.

personally I won't use it.

its not a very good item in this game.

you meant to save money on energy bills when using them.

the bills in the sims 4 are outrages.

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2018
    Hmmm, snow depth is not an performance issue, it is just designed that way. I must say I find that funny being one will not put an 66 HP engine in an Lamborghini as an design in which it will not get many buyers. If it was not an performance issue I would not see any problem adding snow depth. However, it is what it is and EA/Maxis choice even though I think it is funny. :D
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I don’t like how sims will not remove their outerwear when they go indoors. Like if a sim takes the trash out, they will get all wintered up and then stay wintered up after they return inside. Why don’t sims overheat from wearing winter clothing inside the house with the thermostat set to warmer?

I can’t stand OS now that seasons is installed. Without snow there’s just a huge missing chunk of gameplay for Sims living in that world. I don’t know why Maxis thought that was a great idea, forcing players to send their sims to other worlds to do anything snow related. Giving players the option for snow cover wouldn’t have killed them, but heaven forbid their studio policy of not giving players options with the game.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I don't have the thermostat on much. In winter, fireplaces seem to warm up the house and in summer, my Sims never overheat if only they wear hot weather clothing. It doesn't matter if they are inside or outside. I believe I saw a Sim be cold in his bedroom once when it was freezing even with the fireplace lit. I turned on the thermostat that day. I don't know, my game may be buggy.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted