Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A few questions I keep meaning to ask-)

the first one is about the color wheel and how to color different areas of an object for example whenever I change the color of the top of a dive bar the base of the bar color does not change even if I click on that part of the bar separately to try to recolor it? and I have a lot of the similar color challenges with all sorts of other objects in game as well yet I have noticed many other players using the same objects have had all areas the same color or different patterns around one single object and I would like to learn how to do that..

My second question is about base camps I am wondering if base camps are normally added added in the CAW stage of a custom world when creating them and changing them in a normal game is not possible due to the designation somehow? so for example if empty lots are showing as a base camps in a custom world when I add a building to that lot will it automatically function as a base camp? If not can anyone explain how to make any lot into a base camp as I would be grateful for that info too..

My last question has to do with world objects in game I am almost sure when I was adding lots and touches to a custom world (not in CAW) some time ago that I remember being able to add some world objects around other already placed lots so for example I would add a few trees benches picnic tables and chairs etc and for the life of me I cannot find out how I did it unless I was working on an actual lot and have forgotten that but i am almost positive I was able to add some world objects around lots in game if anyone can also let me know how to do that?

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Comments

• Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited July 2018
    Each objects like clothing has seperate zones some have four.

A couch for example could have

A frame wooden or metal

Cushions

Accent pillows

And a trim line that may run along top of cushions

All are different Some objects just have one zone like a plastic patio chair can only be colored one way.But if you want a same color in another zone without having to match it up drag that areas color zone circle to any part you want.

BDXGW9T.png

See the tiny circles and the squares on left each area a different zone same on objects and you can click drag and drop colors you like instead of trying to remember the color

biiwPbf.jpg

The object has 2 areas that can be changed,the R and G only the other B and A are slashed out meaning 2 options only

Hope I understood your question right.

Post edited by CravenLestat on
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @CravenLestat

You are going to think I am mad but in all the years I have been playing this game I have never taken any notice of those circles you outline in your CAS pic haha as I have mainly just changed clothes colors (and saved them to use later) and occasionally I have wanted to change object colors but stopped doing it so much when I found I was only be able to change one color area and not any others to match..Boy am I going to have some fun with this now as I have so much catching up to do thank you so very much! :)
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited July 2018
    You are welcome @SPARKY1922 And created patterns by players can be changed colors too just by spinning the cursor on color wheel to every spot

Example a snakeskin pattern I made

oJipPlA.png

Wj6H3al.png

DjDywfJ.png

FRwUnSU.png

wQAKb9j.png

So every created pattern is actually like 100s so just say you see a blue dress pattern with pink flowers in my studio it is actually also a pink dress a red dress a black and white a yellow dress a purple dress etc and the flowers change too

Another quick example my sequin

But but you hate purple...

9l1APIS.png

It's ok cause its also gold

RbWibpK.png

And ruby

JYPIeKU.png

and..........................
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    @CravenLestat

As always your sim women are beautiful and impeccably dressed I also love vibrant colors so purple is fine :)
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Regarding base camp lots, if you select it in Edit Town and choose "build," you will see that it has a base camp bulletin board. That automatically appears on the lot when it is designated as a base camp, just as the check-in desk is automatically placed when a lot is designated as an IP resort. With most lots, so long as it's designated as a community lot, you can put any community lot on it, and the lot will be changed to whatever the pre-made community lot is. So if you have a lot designated as a big park, you can put it on a lot that is designated as gym, for example, and the lot will become a big park lot.

I've never tried putting something else on a vacant base camp lot, so I don't know from experience, but it would probably work the same way. If it weren't going to, you would just not be able to place a different kind of community lot on it. If that were the case, and you want to put something else there, you could change the lot type, and the base camp bulletin board would disappear. Then you could place your lot. On the other hand, if you want a base camp and you don't already have a lot designated as a base camp, just choose a lot and change it to a base camp. Then you can build your own. It doesn't have to actually have anything other than the bulletin board on it for tourists to use it as a base camp, and residents to hang out there, so you can put as little or as much on it as you want.

Regarding adding world items, when you go into Edit Town, there's a symbol on the control panel to the left of the bulldozer, that looks like a piece of paper and a pen. That takes you into the World Editor, where you can add and remove items in the world space around and between lots, or anywhere else on the map other than lots.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    @IreneSwift

Thank you for that info soon as you mentioned the edit town and paper and pen I remembered how I have done it in the past..-) I will have a go at the base camp and see what happens as I have never really had much to do with meddling with base camps I will come back and let you know what worked.. thank you for your help :)
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    In one of the Cake Islands - I think is is Chocolate Cake Island - there is a base camp and it is empty except for the board. I built a few things on it for my sims to use - such as bedrooms, kitchen, toilets. What I really wanted was a computer on a desk so I could change them from being tourists to residents. I needed to do this as I was using Traveler mod to move sims there from other worlds. I noticed after I did this tourists started appearing there and using the facilities I'd built.
  • Options
    Hi @Karritz and @IreneSwift

I was hoping to add a building to the basecamp lot (it does have an adventure board) and use that however that does not work so I am assuming I am going to have to build something myself which won't be great but it will be at least functional-) I am aware things can be fiddled around with using the traveler mod but as I have not used that in regards to base camps I don't want to make a mistake at this stage.. I thought when you move sims to another town you could just do that now by the phone or the move to another town notification? I love the traveler mod but have only ever used it to send my sims on vacations not to move them for good..

also does anyone know how I can leave cars and boats on empty residential houses when I am redecorating them prior to moving sims in as I know I used to be able to do that but lately when I try they will not place on the car port or boat trailer?

I have half of cake Island made into a kind of Disney style world that I need to finish as I want to use it as a holiday destination but some many other projects keep getting in the way :)
  • Options
    When you move a sim to another world using the process provided by the game you move using the phone. I've never done this though because it saves the new world over the top of the world the sim is leaving. In effect you lose everything from the old game.

If you use Traveler mod you add the new world to the game. The sim can visit their old home. The old world is preserved. The builds and the sims stay put and you can go back and find everything as you left it.
  • Options
    Thanks @Karritz I never thought about the game saving like that using the phone to move :)
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    When you try to place a building on an existing lot, you're trying to place a new lot on top of the one that's already there, so no, that never works, either for residential or community lots. You can only place buildings on vacant lots. However, you can place rabbithole shells on existing community lots, but I that's probably not what you were trying to do.
  • Options
    @IreneSwift

I was given to understand that basecamp lots are made in CAW as opposed to just in game so for example in game I could not just make a basecamp lot in game and expect it to work? I have a wonderful basecamp lot in a custom world area that I would like to use but as yet no lot will install on it even the ones named basecamp so I am going to presume that these lots I am trying to install were never really true basecamps in the first place or recognized by the game as such? and if this is completely off topic regards what you were meaning when you posted I apologize in advance but I am always grateful when other players take the time to offer their advice anyway even if I might not always understand the advice being given :)
  • Options
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @IreneSwift

I was given to understand that basecamp lots are made in CAW as opposed to just in game so for example in game I could not just make a basecamp lot in game and expect it to work? I have a wonderful basecamp lot in a custom world area that I would like to use but as yet no lot will install on it even the ones named basecamp so I am going to presume that these lots I am trying to install were never really true basecamps in the first place or recognized by the game as such? and if this is completely off topic regards what you were meaning when you posted I apologize in advance but I am always grateful when other players take the time to offer their advice anyway even if I might not always understand the advice being given :)

I just checked because I wondered - I am playing in my Perfect Genetics Challenge game at the moment so I don't want to mess it up - but I went into Edit Town and chose a Community Lot and clicked on it to change lot type and I have two versions of Base Camp in my list of lots. They are Base Camp and Base Camp EP11. Perhaps the second one relates to Into The Future? Not sure.

If I wanted to add a base camp I'd choose one and see what happens - Well I tried it and guess what - the adventure board is there now automatically. So now I'll just shut down without saving as I have to go out now and need to turn the computer off anyway. But I'd say all you have to do is find a suitable lot, make it a Community Lot of the type Base Camp.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    The Base Camp EP11 designation is for the ITF Community/Visitors Center. Different versions of different NRaas mods have tried to fix that so it says something less cryptic, like I don't know maybe ITF Community Center, but some of them made it worse -- there will be two entries that say "Base Camp," but only one of them is the WA Base Camp. We think we have that solved now with the version of Traveler that is currently in beta testing. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Hi @Karritz

Thanks for trying this I did not bother because I honestly thought it would not work so from what you are saying there are 2 basecamps to choose from I am assuming from the debug menu community objects? one of them is WA basecamp and the other ITF I will go check this today and see what the results are :)

@igazor

I would imagine in a modern world the ITF bascamp would look lovely however the world I am in at the moment is medieval style so the camp site would be better although I have put a request in with our lovely DNA creative build team because it's a strange size but very worthy of a being basecamp at the location it is in all the same :)
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    LOL yes, but my point was that one has to select the correct "Base Camp" designation for lot type and it's not always obvious which is the correct one for a WA type of lot.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    @SPARKY1922 not from the Debug Menu. As I said above, go into Edit Town. Find a suitable community lot and change its lot type to Base Camp.
  • Options
    @Karritz

apologies I am not sure why my mind got stuck on the Debug menu :) however I just went into game and tried to change a community lot to a basecamp but there is no basecamp lot designation in the drop down menu?
  • Options
    @Karritz

apologies I am not sure why my mind got stuck on the Debug menu :) however I just went into game and tried to change a community lot to a basecamp but there is no basecamp lot designation in the drop down menu?

Do you have World Adventures installed? If you do have it installed then maybe @igazor can help.

• Options
    Hi @Karritz

Yes I have WA installed and as I have never actually placed or tried to build a basecamp before I have honestly never noticed if I have seen it before in the drop down menu either so here is hoping @igazor can shed some light on it :)
  • Options
    Hi @Karritz

Yes I have WA installed and as I have never actually placed or tried to build a basecamp before I have honestly never noticed if I have seen it before in the drop down menu either so here is hoping @igazor can shed some light on it :)

It is in the Community Lot dropdown.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    @SPARKY1922 I have updated the video on adding a base camp to make it clear you need Traveler mod to do it.

https://youtu.be/DmPUDJjxUQk

The video runs for less than 1 minute.
    Post edited by Karritz on
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @Karritz @SPARKY1922 It's a mod. I wondered about that when it first came up and so just now went in game to check it out. I don't have any base camp options on my community lots drop down list either.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    Hi @Karritz

Thank you so much for doing the info video much appreciated however sadly it did not work for me there is still no option to change a community lot to a basecamp..and at this stage i have no clue why not..
  • Options
    Hi @suzses

It cannot be that for me as this version of the game I am trying this out in has no mods in the game? this is so weird..