Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

After school activities

I noticed when having my child sim join scouts that it seemed like they set it up so they could
easily add other things later on. I really hope this is the case.
I’d love to be able to have my child and teenaged sims join a variety of sports, choir, the dance team, drama club, and so on. It would even better if we could follow our sims there like GTW but that’s probably too much to ask.

It sort of makes me wonder if maybe a hobbies/education pack is coming up. They both seem to be a very requested and putting the two togethar would make a lot of sense.

Comments

• Options
    WittlemouseeWittlemousee Posts: 58 Member
    I totally agree!! I loved that about Sims 3, and I would love to have my younger sims participate in after school activities!!

I also wish we could follow our sims to volunteer!!
    c22.jpg
  • Options
    SimmerSamSimmerSam Posts: 73 Member
    I agree! I honestly get a little bored with my children/teens because there just isn't enough for them to do. Joining clubs/after school activities would be so fun!
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    edited July 2018
    I hope they're more than just rabbit holes. I hope they add game play objects that assist them in completing tasks for their after school activity. My absolute dream is playable elementary/secondary schools and children could stay on the lot and complete the after school activity, but I don't see that happening. Schooling is very different around the world, so I can't see that they find a way to make it universal enough. Very likely, they will add different after school activities that boost skills while in a rabbit hole.

Sigh
    Playable elementary schools...
    tenor.gif?itemid=7331328
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    simmer_jay wrote: »
    I hope they're more than just rabbit holes. I hope they add game play objects that assist them in completing tasks for their after school activity. My absolute dream is playable elementary/secondary schools and children could stay on the lot and complete the after school activity, but I don't see that happening. Schooling is very different around the world, so I can't see that they find a way to make it universal enough. Very likely, they will add different after school activities that boost skills while in a rabbit hole.

Sigh
    Playable elementary schools...
    tenor.gif?itemid=7331328

Playing school would be the dream but since GTW was so buggy I don't know I'm kind of nervous.

Now a rabbit hole school would be good to because when thru go to school where you see the buttons around their heads they should add take notes to help with homework. Ask questions to raise your grade performance and sleep in class that has consequences if you get caught by the teacher either detention or lower grade performance.

Afterschool I do like the scouts but for teens I would want them to also have a hangout spot not just a lot trait an actual hangout spot. I would also like teens to study for tests and exams especially for a university. Study groups so homework can be done faster. When we get cars have teens study for permit test take the permit test and be taught to drive and go and take the test and depending on how your teen studied will either pass or fail. I also want prom, homecoming game and dance, senior ditch day, grad night, and graduation.
  • Options
    @Briana2425 I agree, I also want more activities for teens. I also want prom, homecoming game/dance, ditch day, and graduation!! Especially with the new holidays/events system they brought with Seasons, I think it would be so cute to have a little grad party for your sims!! I also really love your idea about study groups!!

Also, please bring back slumber parties!!

On a side note, I don't think drivers tests are needed since we don't use cars to travel anymore.
    c22.jpg
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Unless they just made the menu so modders could make more activities...
  • Options
    CeCeDotCeCeDot Posts: 230 Member
    edited July 2018
    @Briana2425 I agree, I also want more activities for teens. I also want prom, homecoming game/dance, ditch day, and graduation!! Especially with the new holidays/events system they brought with Seasons, I think it would be so cute to have a little grad party for your sims!! I also really love your idea about study groups!!

On a side note, I don't think drivers tests are needed since we don't use cars to travel anymore.

I hope they don't make it too American, since a lot of players are from different countries. They did it in TS3 which rubbed me the wrong way sometimes
  • Options
    @CeCeDot I agree, that is a very good point, especially since Sims is such a huge melting pot of different players from different counties, cultures, and backgrounds!! I just hope they expand on after school/school activities in a way that would fit.
    c22.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    CeCeDot wrote: »

I hope they don't make it too American, since a lot of players are from different countries. They did it in TS3 which rubbed me the wrong way sometimes

I see what your saying and I respect it but in my opinion and this is my personal opinion at the end of it all the game is american it's going to incorporate especially with the creator what they see and what they know in their every waking life. That's like myself knowing I'm playing a game made from another country saying I don't like it because it's to much that country It's made from that country so what ever they see and know it's going to inspire the game.

On the other hand it's not like the Sims haven't incorporated any culture or countries at all? In the Sims 4 not only is Christmas is there but Kwanza and Chanukah is incorporated. Dia de los muertos Day of the dead was incorporated. Festival of lights from India is incorporated (I think that's what it means.)

• Options
    edited July 2018

No I meant if and when we have cars I'm just giving out ideas also yes slumber parties for the children and teens I would love that.
  • Options
    Briana2425 wrote: »

I see what your saying and I respect it but in my opinion and this is my personal opinion at the end of it all the game is american it's going to incorporate especially with the creator what they see and what they know in their every waking life. That's like myself knowing I'm playing a game made from another country saying I don't like it because it's to much that country It's made from that country so what ever they see and know it's going to inspire the game.

On the other hand it's not like the Sims haven't incorporated any culture or countries at all? In the Sims 4 not only is Christmas is there but Kwanza and Chanukah is incorporated. Dia de los muertos Day of the dead was incorporated. Festival of lights from India is incorporated (I think that's what it means.)

The fact that they have incorporated making your own holiday and them doing research on other cultures is why I'm positive they won't make it completely American. Scouts is also something present in my country in example, but not Thanksgiving. In TS3 you had most holidays forced on you. Now I don't feel that's the case anymore.

I'm not mad about it, I'm aware they are an American company. But if they say they try to be inclusive and don't follow up on it, it'll be very disappointing.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I just want more hobbies

Archery

Soccer

Sketch Pads

Volleyball (Water Volleyball)
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options

The fact that they have incorporated making your own holiday and them doing research on other cultures is why I'm positive they won't make it completely American. Scouts is also something present in my country in example, but not Thanksgiving. In TS3 you had most holidays forced on you. Now I don't feel that's the case anymore.

I'm not mad about it, I'm aware they are an American company. But if they say they try to be inclusive and don't follow up on it, it'll be very disappointing.

Ok your not talking about the holidays your talking about school activities prom, graduation, and I think homecoming Sims 3 had. Do I want that back yeah because it was fun and it gave teens something to do outside of both school and being at home now should there be an option of going or not going to prom/school dances yeah since sometimes I don't want to go to the late night dance parties that Sims call my Sims around midnight.

Inclusive? what exactly are you asking?

Because the Sims Franchise has been cultural or implementing that represented a culture from the beginning at least for me. I played on console first Sims Bustin Out, Sims Urbz, Sims 2 on console. In my first PC game was Sims Castaway. Sims 2 PC Bon Voyage had what looked like the Hawaiian Island, and a place that looked like China. Sims 3 had World Adventure you traveled to Egypt, France and China again. Sims 4 Jungle Adventure is introducing Latin Culture the jungle adventures location seem like it takes place some where in South America. Now I learned that South America have jungles and other things.
  • Options

Ok your not talking about the holidays your talking about school activities prom, graduation, and I think homecoming Sims 3 had. Do I want that back yeah because it was fun and it gave teens something to do outside of both school and being at home now should there be an option of going or not going to prom/school dances yeah since sometimes I don't want to go to the late night dance parties that Sims call my Sims around midnight.

Because the Sims Franchise has been cultural or implementing that represented a culture from the beginning at least for me. I played on console first Sims Bustin Out, Sims Urbz, Sims 2 on console. In my first PC game was Sims Castaway. Sims 2 PC Bon Voyage had what looked like the Hawaiian Island, and a place that looked like China. Sims 3 had World Adventure you traveled to Egypt, France and China again. Sims 4 Jungle Adventure is introducing Latin Culture the jungle adventures location seem like it takes place some where in South America. Now I learned that South America have jungles and other things.

I'm making comparisons, that's why I talked about the holiday system. They could do a system of school traditions, where you make your own school traditions and school trips. Instead of calling it prom, just call it a school dance/ball. Being able to choose what you wear for graduation and costumazing the outfit.

Vacation worlds are not relevant to this discussion, nor are console games. I'm talking about everyday life of our Sims, like school and holidays and activities. But I have to agree that selvadorada, and TS3 vacation world were representative of those cultures.

And I'm not saying TS4 isn't trying to be inclusive, they are going great in my opinion! It was TS3 that was not inclusive of different traditions and cultures in my eyes. That's why I hope they don't repeat that.
  • Options

I'm making comparisons, that's why I talked about the holiday system. They could do a system of school traditions, where you make your own school traditions and school trips. Instead of calling it prom, just call it a school dance/ball. Being able to choose what you wear for graduation and costumazing the outfit.

Vacation worlds are not relevant to this discussion, nor are console games. I'm talking about everyday life of our Sims, like school and holidays and activities. But I have to agree that selvadorada, and TS3 vacation world were representative of those cultures.

And I'm not saying TS4 isn't trying to be inclusive, they are going great in my opinion! It was TS3 that was not inclusive of different traditions and cultures in my eyes. That's why I hope they don't repeat that.

Now I see what your saying yeah I think it should be something like in Seasons how we can make up different holidays and celebration we can also do for school dances.
  • Options

Now I see what your saying yeah I think it should be something like in Seasons how we can make up different holidays and celebration we can also do for school dances.

Sorry if I was unclear! I find it difficult to discuss through typing. In the end this is just my opinion and if the devs end up with a more American approach I'm not going to be mad, just a bit let down.
  • Options
    @CeCeDot Oooh!! I love the idea of making your own school traditions!!
    c22.jpg
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Same.
    In the end this is just my opinion and if the devs end up with a more American approach I'm not going to be mad, just a bit let down.
    I share your opinion.
    Not just disappointing, but also very frustrating.

To elaborate.
    Prom is not a universal thing. It's a North America specific thing. Same goes for 'home coming' (I still don't even quite understand what it's meant to be about.)
    Around the world, not all schools have a dance, but most will. So it would make more sense, for the game to be more inclusive by having a School dance, than it would be to have a prom or homecoming.

Schools around here don't generally have a school dance as such, but they may have a 'blue light disco', basically a nightclub, at the school, for multiple year levels.
    But most secondary schools will have a Formal, which is a formal sit-down dinner. Outside of the major cities, many schools will hold this dinner at the local pub. (Which can get interesting when it's a year 12 dinner, and half the class is 18.)

High school graduation is also not a universal thing.
    No caps and robes here when you finish secondary school, if you want that, you have to complete a university course.

School sports are not universal.
    In Australia, sports are usually run by community clubs, not schools.

The sports themselves are not universal. American football is an obvious one. Rugby is more universal, and football/soccer is played everywhere. Apparently cricket is the second most popular sport globally (after football/soccer). Meaning that soccer and cricket would make more sense if they're being universal, than american football and baseball would.
    Personally, I think soccer and tennis would be great options for the game... and backyard/beach cricket, and beach volley ball (if a beach pack was to be added).

I agree with @CeCeDot, we need the ability to create our own school traditions.

A school dance can be an option. It's up to the player to add the details. Does it require formal wear or party wear? The player gets to decorate the venue, if they want. The player chooses the music genres (it would be nice if up to 3 are allowed). Will there be a bar or a punch-bowl?

How many field trips do you want? More for the kids, or more for the teens? Where are they going? Will there be a class camp? Some of the options may depend on the packs you have, or else they become rabbit hole excursions.

Graduation? No graduation? End of year party or no? Muck up day or not? Casual Friday or casual everyday? Uniforms or not?

Give the player more control over their sims universe. You can do things one way in one save, and different in the next.

I'd love to see a system similar to GTW for schools, and one similar to the holiday system in Seasons, for school traditions and activities.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    @Movotti yes! Here in Belgium the school doesn't organize after school activities, you have to go to a independent club for that. But we do have a sports day where you can choose to participate in different sports, depending what year you are in. We also don't have school sports teams.
    Our school dance was just a masked party, it tried to be formal, but there was a dj and they played EDM the whole night. They even served alcohol.
    We did have a hat for graduation, but you didn't have to wear it. It was only for a photo. They just called how you graduated (with honors, etc) and then you had to get your diploma from a different building with snacks and drink present.

Camps would be amazing! Especially if you can do it in granite falls!
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    hmae123 wrote: »
    I noticed when having my child sim join scouts that it seemed like they set it up so they could
    easily add other things later on. I really hope this is the case.
    I’d love to be able to have my child and teenaged sims join a variety of sports, choir, the dance team, drama club, and so on. It would even better if we could follow our sims there like GTW but that’s probably too much to ask.

It sort of makes me wonder if maybe a hobbies/education pack is coming up. They both seem to be a very requested and putting the two togethar would make a lot of sense.

I see it more as something they'd add little by little instead of a dedicated pack, like they are doing with the vacation worlds. When we got the first one, it was alone on its own menu as well, for a reeeaaaaally long time. I think/hope adding activities will happen more often than that since they can do it here and there with virtually any GP or EP.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    But wait, I haven't actually had a child in scouts yet. Is it just a rabbit hole, or do we actually get to go with them??
    c22.jpg
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

I agree. I would offer up some ideas from your country. I am sure when they are in a think tank they are thinking about what they did as an American teen or child.