Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Packs Can a Mac Handle?

I have a Mac computer that I share with most of my family. So far I have 3 expansions, 1 game pack, and 2 stuff packs, and my competitor works just fine, if not perfectly. About how many packs do you think my Mac can handle before it begins to slow down or break?

Comments

• joyfulsimmerjoyfulsimmer Posts: 50 Member
    I have all the packs except two stuff packs and mine works perfectly. The battery does goes down quicker when I am playing the Sims, but if I am just on the computer my battery is fine.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    It depends on what type of Mac you have. Since you didn't provide more information, I can give you general information. No matter what the Base Game states for amount of RAM required, we (the Helpers on the forums) always recommend 8GB of RAM. Of course more is always better to future proof your computer.

MacBook Airs - not really built for gaming in general and work great as work/school computers if used solely for this purpose. Can handle Base game just fine with maybe one or two EPs (Expansion Packs)/a couple of SPs (Stuff Packs)/maybe one or two GPs (Game Packs).

MacBook Pros - can handle more Sim packs. Depending on how much RAM you have should be able to handle all the EPs/SPs/GPs.

iMacs - definitely no problem handling everything. Since these are Desktop computers, you can throw everything at them and they work just fine. I have very little CC on mine and run everything with no problems. I do not use Mods as a rule, so I have very little problems.

Just to give you an idea of how the EPS/SPs/GPs break down.

Expansion Packs generally will give you more stuff to do. For example, Seasons just gave us weather which is usually very graphics intensive. These packs typically will require more processing power due to the nature of what they deliver. The Expansion Packs are as follows: Seasons, Cats and Dogs, Get Together, City Living, Get to Work.

Game Packs typically will not be as processor intensive, but do again require more processing power as they add more game play to your games. The more of these you add, the more processor power will be used. These usually have more interactions for your Sims, new areas to play with and specific items that add new animations. Game Packs are as follows: Dine Out, Jungle Adventure, Outdoor Retreat, Parenthood, Spa Day, Vampires.

Stuff Packs are just that. More stuff for your Sims such as clothes, furniture, hair styles. These usually aren't as graphics intensive and you can definitely have more of these installed since they usually do not add huge amounts of information and mostly add more "stuff" to your game and usually don't add a lot of different animations or interactions to your game. Stuff Packs are as follows: Backyard Stuff, Bowling Night Stuff, Cool Kitchen Stuff, Fitness Stuff, Kids Room Stuff, Laundry Day Stuff, Luxury Party Stuff, Movie Hangout Stuff, My First Pet Stuff, Perfect Patio Stuff, Romantic Garden Stuff, Spooky Stuff, Toddler Stuff, Vintage Glamour Stuff.

Hope this helps.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.