I've been reading about Players having trouble getting their Sims to eat in the right area... not put stuff in the bathroom or serve food outside. So, iirc, I learned this all back in them there old BBS days.
I made the Tester family to help show how to set up eating areas for Sims 2. They are mostly logical in their choices (kinda).
1. The Testers.
Built a house.
2. Sent Manny to school and Alan to look for a job.
3. I did mess up with the layout but that's how I learn.
4. There are 3 eating areas for them to choose. Breakfast area in the Kitchen, a dinning area, and the outside.
5. Alan got a job and I told him to stand there. I made them all hungry... what will he do?
6. Why he chooses to sit down and wait to be served. Cool!
7. Jill does serve him... now, what happens with little one sitting in the high chair (How quickly I forget their names
Why she gets served, too. (this is my mistake. I put the high chair close to a counter in the kitchen. Not the best place...)
8. Because Sims go to the nearest counter (even if it's in another room) Jill puts the tray in the Kitchen and will eat in the kitchen all alone.
9. Now it's clean up and move time so I can do it right.
10. By moving the high chair near the dinning area's open counter the servings are set there and they all eat together.
11. Want a Sim to eat in the Kitchen? Then have an open counter near where they can fix their cold meal; such as cereal, salad, or sandwich.
One open counter near the breakfast nook-
12. Or get leftovers.
Same goes for coffee and espresso. Where do you want them to drink it?
13. Other layout ideas which show the same concept (some old builds
Think about where you want them to eat when choosing their meals
(or to serve meals)- near the stove for dinning room (hot food) or cold in the breakfast area (or leftovers/microwave meals).
Hope it helps!