March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best lot type for rinks?

I'm trying to build a new lot for a roller skating rink. My other rink lots were outdoors, so I categorized them as parks. Thing is, no townie / npc sims seemed to use the rinks themselves. What lot type should I use to get townies to actually use the rink?

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I haven't tried it yet, but with bowling allies they always label those lots as Bars, and the other sims use them. I would see if that labeling it as a bar might work, but I'm not sure.
  • BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,323 Member
    I’d say gym. Lots of different gyms in irl have different perks and I’d say having a rink is one of them.I tried to built one with the upper level open so sims can sit and view from above but I didn’t quite get it to look good.
  • mistwolf7mistwolf7 Posts: 78 Member
    I built one as a gym but no one except my sim actually used the rink, everyone else was using gym equipment. I also used one from the gallery that was a cafe lot type and had the same results.
  • BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,323 Member
    Maybe they’re broken, if no one is using them beside our own sims. I remember early on when it released some said on the lots where rinks appear for the seasons, sims still don’t use them
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    there's a new club option 'go skating' that helps with the lack of skaters outside currently played family

as for what lot...i've seen most on the gallery to be gyms. i've made my ice skating rink (...from simsvip) into a cafe, just because it already had most of the stuff for that lot type. just wish they could order cocoa from the barista
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    I had some townies use some rinks specialized as parks. They work well as bars as I've tested.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    I downloaded an indoor skating rink classified as night club and no sims would use it except mine but the bar attracted a lot of sims.

I think their going to have to patch skating rinks like they did with pools so sims will use them.

I still dont know why we didn't get a skating lot type.
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I built mine as a pool (with a pool in the basement), but it didn't cause anyone to use the rinks. And everyone except my Sim showed up in a bathing suit.
  • AloeVistaAloeVista Posts: 326 Member
    I had this same problem =\ I spent a lot of time building this really nice lot with an ice-skating rink at the bottom and a pool at the top level, classified it as a pool at first and people only used the pool showing up in swimsuits. I tried lounge next and I think maybe one or two sims ended up using it or one tried to, but it felt off to me because I needed a mic and music instruments to classify it as a lounge. I even tried generic and that didn't do much either.

I'm hoping that they'll just make a skating lot type as well and I'll just separate my pool from my indoor ice-skating rink.
    rvbRMVD.jpg
    AloeVista wrote: »
    I had this same problem =\ I spent a lot of time building this really nice lot with an ice-skating rink at the bottom and a pool at the top level, classified it as a pool at first and people only used the pool showing up in swimsuits. I tried lounge next and I think maybe one or two sims ended up using it or one tried to, but it felt off to me because I needed a mic and music instruments to classify it as a lounge. I even tried generic and that didn't do much either.

I'm hoping that they'll just make a skating lot type as well and I'll just separate my pool from my indoor ice-skating rink.

Try bar and see if that works.
    edited June 2018
    Tried a skating rink classified as lounge and npc sims still aren't using.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    From what people have reported so far, it doesn't matter the lot type - Sims aren't being attracted to the rink on a lot. :(

@crinrict does this feel like a possible bug to you?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • AloeVistaAloeVista Posts: 326 Member
    AloeVista wrote: »

Try bar and see if that works.

I tried bar and it didn't work. Sims just used any other object on the lot except for the rink. I tried lounge again just to make sure and nothing happened either. That first time I did it probably was just a fluke then.

Seems like no lot type really works then. This is a pretty big oversight from them.
    rvbRMVD.jpg
    I've filed a bug report on the EA Bug Forum.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited June 2018
    Just another question regarding skating...Is the skill visible? I noticed two of my Sims were skating in Granite falls and I could not find skating in the skill list.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Just another question regarding skating...Is the skill visible? I noticed two of my Sims were skating in Granite falls and I could not find skating in the skill list.

It's a hidden skill.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »

It's a hidden skill.

ahh thank you @luthienrising :)
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    it's just like rock climbing from the fitness pack. hidden skill (that caps at 5) but you can see the xp bar rise if they're skilling up (and, like rock climbing, it also boosts the fitness skill at the same time)
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    why did they not just create a lot type for them :#

ice skate rink
    skate rink

this game can so so odd at times
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    I noticed some NPCs using the rink in Newcrest. Also, placed one in gym at Willow Creek and sims use it also.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited July 2018
    I don't really want a new lot type for the rinks, but it would be good to have an attraction update.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I'd say Gym if indoor, Park if outdoor. I first added it to the main park in Willow Creek, but chose the downtown gym's backyard instead.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited July 2018
    I don't really want a new lot type for the rinks, but it would be good to have an attraction update.

I just think its lazy and poor with the continue of using base game lots instead of a lot especially for the special lots.
    A lot for each type would be better.
    you wouldn't have to use it.
    we all have a chose of free will on what we use and don't use!
    having it available at least gives a chose everybody can decide on.

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• rosehrtgirlrosehrtgirl Posts: 252 Member
    edited July 2018
    I haven't seen any npc use the skating rings either in my game. It would have been nice it they had set up a system like they did with the blowing alley where sims actually showed up just to skate in venues, besides making it a little bit more attractive to sims to use.

Also have sims come by and skate for a while just like they use the picnic tables in the neighborhood areas where they generate instead of just walking by. Just have fewer walkways and more sims doing neighborhood activities lot more interesting. I find sims just walking by in a circle quite boring myself.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited July 2018
    marcel21 wrote: »

I just think its lazy and poor with the continue of using base game lots instead of a lot especially for the special lots.
    A lot for each type would be better.
    you wouldn't have to use it.
    we all have a chose of free will on what we use and don't use!
    having it available at least gives a chose everybody can decide on.

The way they did bowling actually gave us more options than just adding a bowling venue would have. If it had just been one bowling venue, every bowling alley would have the exact same visitor autonomy. But with the way it's currently done, we can have bowling lots where the guests behave differently based on what the venue is (ie. a nightclub bowling alley gives a very different experience than a lounge bowling alley). I hope they do the same with the skating rinks as they did with bowling.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)