Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims need more whims...

With all those expansions, we really need more than two whims now... With Seasons, we pretty much always have a whim dedicated to a seasonal activity at this point... We have whims related to pets, skills, work/homework, activities... it's just a bit silly that a foodie Sim would almost never roll a whim to eat excellent food, or a scholar Sim a will to gain a skill point, or a social Sim a will to meet friends...

Ideally, the whole thing should be overhauled (IMO), but that would be better than nothing...

Comments

• BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    Yes, the whims system needs a lot of changes.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    Yep, the whim system definitely needs some tweaking with some whims that makes sense to sims with certain traits and aspirations.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Yes. More whims and at least one more personality slot. Two whims is not enough any more than three personality traits is.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yes more whims and a total overhaul!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • mggabstermggabster Posts: 4 New Member
    Whims were way more significant in the sims 3 and it feels like I never pay attention to them anymore. Wish the system got changed somehow so they became more prominent in game.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited June 2018
    I’d like an overhaul of the whims system to work more like The Sims 2/3, or to just have more relevance in the core gameplay of the game.

Our Sims randomly get these negative moodlets if they do not do a certain activity corresponding to their traits. For instance, an athletic Sim, will randomly get a negative moodlet informing us they haven’t exercised in awhile. I think the first step to fixing whims would be to have these various activities show up as whims, so we may know before that negative moodlet arises.

They have made changes to ensure whims are shown based on the environment of our Sim, which I think is great — I hope they can improve it so it updates based on the environment of our Sim faster.
  • BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    You are absolutely correct. It's like there's a pool of generic whims that every sim rolls. Stuff like 'buy this or that'. I find emotional whims problematic, but I rarely get whims like "Try for a Baby", "Adopt a Child/Pet", "Potty Train a Toddler", etc.

I give my sims a washer and dryer, they want a wash tub. So I delete the washer and dryer, give them a wash tub, and now they want a washer and dryer. I get it. They want both. Why?

Sims want a hot tub. A pool that's at least 1x1. These are things that...maybe not every sim should want, depending on traits. And yeah, sometimes they do roll whims unique to their traits, but I think there should be more trait whims and less shared whims. Otherwise, it's just another thing detracting from the point of traits.
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    With all those expansions, we really need more than two whims now... With Seasons, we pretty much always have a whim dedicated to a seasonal activity at this point... We have whims related to pets, skills, work/homework, activities... it's just a bit silly that a foodie Sim would almost never roll a whim to eat excellent food, or a scholar Sim a will to gain a skill point, or a social Sim a will to meet friends...

Ideally, the whole thing should be overhauled (IMO), but that would be better than nothing...

It certainly does.
    I want a thought bubble dedicated to trait related whims, so you always have their personality coming through.
    Emotions have a dedicated whim bubble. The other could be Skills/object/environment/misc. related whims. They could add a fourth bubble to split that one up.
    trait%20whims.jpg
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2018
    I say get rid of whims altogether. It doesn’t matter what they want to do. They do what I tell them to do.

I only pay attention to moodlets anyway.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I noticed the new "Resolution" feature is a neat option that is sort of along the lines of more meaningful whims. But I agree the whole whim system should be overhauled.

Every time I see posts about the whim system I make a link to a post I wrote several months ago about how the whim system might be overhauled in such a way as to please a variety of players.
  • JazzpuzJazzpuz Posts: 83 Member
    My sims CONSTANTLY want to buy pet-beds :| ! Even if they have three of them around the house and the pet(s) never use them, they just can't get enough pet beds....
  • agustdagustd Posts: 946 Member
    Whims don't make sense at all. They're the same for every sim, no matter their traits.

I remember in TS3 when I had my sim at university, they'd get whims to skinny dip in the pool for example. They never wanted to do it at home in their own pool, but at university it was something fun and crazy so they as young adults in college wanted to go all the way and do it! You could see there was a lot of thought behind the wishes sims would get. Now it's completely random and that's why I don't pay attention to whims at all, and when I want to buy one of the special traits I just cheat aspiration points instead of having my sim buy a bunch of objects she doesn't need just because she rolled a whim to do so.
  • caitzelcaitzel Posts: 48 Member
    I think the whims definitely need an overhaul. I also think that a lot more traits should be added. I'm getting really tired of the traits. I think they should be more specific, so that we caan have more realistic game play.

I liked that they added a vegetarian trait, I also like the jealous trait but when I played with it, it was so annoying because they constantly pined over their partner. That may have changed now, but I do like that they added that specific trait.
  • SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    Jazzpuz wrote: »
    My sims CONSTANTLY want to buy pet-beds :| ! Even if they have three of them around the house and the pet(s) never use them, they just can't get enough pet beds....

Pet balls, too. They want a billion pet balls.

I do think the whim system needs a big ol' overhaul. It was never great, even in the beginning, but it's extra doofy now. It could be a way to reflect a sim's personality more - and sometimes it is! - but a lot of the time it's just kind of white noise.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    And the mood-related whims... by the time I get where the object is, their mood changes about half the time and the whim goes away. Not even worth it... so I always ignore those.

I DO like how whims help get rewards points (I really aim to get the need decreasing ones asap, and use whims for that too). It should just really be related to aspiration, traits, weather to some extent, but really, once they've built a snowman, maybe they should be happy with their current snowman instead of wanting to build another one 5 minutes later... and why do Sims who don't care for pets even want to buy pet balls anyway?
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Whims need a major overhaul. They have done for ages. All sims get the same whims regardless of traits or aspiration or even age:

Buy pool
    Buy dishwasher
    Buy puppet theatre
    Buy pet bed
    Buy pet ball
    Do laundry (weirdly enough it’s children that seem to get this the most)
    Cook group meal
    Buy instrument (even if you have every instrument)
    Buy washer
    Buy drier
    Buy wash tub

Even my vampire sim gets whims to eat popcorn in certain moods.

Wishes and wants were not that repetitive in previous games and actually made sense to each sim.
  • aallii2222aallii2222 Posts: 103 Member
    Just out of curiosity, what is a whim?
  • skelebeeskelebee Posts: 101 Member
    I don't pay attention to whims, ever. I don't really see a point to them unless you're grinding for reward points, but I rarely use reward traits to begin with. What I'd really like to see are some new CAS traits and lifetime aspirations (remember how many we had in the Sims 3?!).
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I hope they'll overhaul the whim/aspiration system at some point. It's really not fun for me at the moment. Aspirations are always the exact same objectives. Whims are extremely repetitive (Buy a beehive...) and don't make sense most of the time. I wish we had more middle and long term wants.

The UI is also something that could improved I think. The whims are fairly small and not always distinguable at first glance. The reward store (and all the other store that use the same UI) isn't that user friendly : you can't see the bonuses you already have vs the ones you don't have enough points for without going with your mouse over each button.
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    I hope they'll overhaul the whim/aspiration system at some point. It's really not fun for me at the moment. Aspirations are always the exact same objectives. Whims are extremely repetitive (Buy a beehive...) and don't make sense most of the time. I wish we had more middle and long term wants.

The UI is also something that could improved I think. The whims are fairly small and not always distinguable at first glance. The reward store (and all the other store that use the same UI) isn't that user friendly : you can't see the bonuses you already have vs the ones you don't have enough points for without going with your mouse over each button.

Yup. I second all of this.
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    I have a lazy sim who wants to buy a beehive.. hahahahahaa really? :neutral:
  • HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    I swear! They never roll wanting to have a baby with specific sims, or marriage, even different activities. They've become bland.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, the whims either don’t make sense or don’t even fit the personalities of the Sims making them.

My family Sims keep wanting to buy kids toys—even though there are about a dozen toys all around the house, lol. :lol: I can’t even...

I’m pretty much ignoring most whims (except maybe some emotions-based ones) and mostly focusing on the Needs bars and moodlets.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • FelTaintedFelTainted Posts: 2 New Member
    My Sims either have whims that hardly make sense for their personality, or they have a trait that makes them have obsessive whims to do something, over and over...