Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons and Rotational Play

N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
I haven't gotten a chance to play Seasons much yet but I found it difficult to choose which save game I wanted to test seasons with since most of them I'm a pretty controlling rotational player.
I feel like seasons will have a significant impact on rotational play. Normally I like to play one household for a week, from Sunday to Sunday but I feel like I'm going to need to restrategize.

I think my biggest concern is winter. I don't want to have to set all my played sims hot/cold weather clothes until I actually play that sim/household. Can currently uncontrolled played sims freeze to death while you are playing another household? In other words; if I'm currently playing X and run into Y from another played household at the park during a blizzard...can Y freeze to death since I can't currently control him/her?

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has experienced any interesting ways that seasons have effected your rotational play. I'm thinking gardening will be a little trickier now and having all your households experience the different seasons & holidays, etc.
19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    All Sims have game-generated Hot and Cold outfits to start, so that at least isn't an issue!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    I am so glad you started this thread. I am too a controlling rotational player and I have to say I am going to have abit problem with my rotationals. I play over 20 households in my favorite saves and about a week in those I favor most and about 2-3 days in the others that are my least favorites and really just support, complimentary to my favorites (friends, neighbours and relatives). With seasons being fixed with 28 days on each season in an overall saved game I too am going to have to make some changes.

I just wish we could start with a season on day one in each household and say if I stop playing a household on day 7 and move into another household, when I go back to the former household their season would still be on day 7. That way I could progress each household with seasons evenly.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I have a huge rotation of about 20+plus households. My rotations just got really long but I sort of like it and allows me to connect with the families a little more. I have aging on during the spring for 7 days and then I turn it off and play out the rest of the seasons with aging off. This is the only way I can get all of my household to enjoy all of the seasons.

When I start from the beginning again, I will age through the summer etc so birthday are not always in the Spring.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    The game-generated Hot and Cold outfits can look weird sometimes, so it's probably best to change the worst ones. I've went quickly in CAS with each household to change these.

I plan on doing 28 weeks seasons, but since I don't have exactly 16 households in my rotation, it will most likely shift a bit each year. I initially wanted to one year per rotation, but I didn't realize new year's eve would fall in the middle of winter, and it kinda throws off my plan.

One thing I've noticed so far is that while visiting the family in other neighborhoods, there can be different weather there, which adds another reason to go visit them instead of inviting.
    Wait. Does aging off affect the seasons? Does it stay still if hte household has aging off?
  • N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    I plan on doing 28 weeks seasons, but since I don't have exactly 16 households in my rotation, it will most likely shift a bit each year. I initially wanted to one year per rotation, but I didn't realize new year's eve would fall in the middle of winter, and it kinda throws off my plan.

I wish we could move the preset holidays to when we want them I want to keep them and use them in some of my more "traditional" game saves but I don't like when they fall. Maybe I can delete them and recreate them on the days I want? I haven't tried...I want to play without getting too entrenched in the tedium of setting things up yet.

• AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Before I hit live mode, I made sure all my playable Sims had a hit and cold outfit of my own choice (because you know how weird randomised outfits are in this game :D ).
    I have only 5 households at the moment that I am playing and the settings I have so far are:
    Seasons last 2 weeks. The lifespan is set on normal and for only for the active household. With the first family I set it to also age unplayed households.
    It is working great at the moment because I play from Sunday to Sunday with each household and like this get to enjoy the season dinamically.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
    Stina1701A wrote: »
    Wait. Does aging off affect the seasons? Does it stay still if hte household has aging off?

I don't think so. You can use the weather machine to try and change the weather or season. You can also tweak snow, rain, thunderstorms and blizzards in settings.
    Before I hit live mode, I made sure all my playable Sims had a hit and cold outfit of my own choice (because you know how weird randomised outfits are in this game :D ).
    I have only 5 households at the moment that I am playing and the settings I have so far are:
    Seasons last 2 weeks. The lifespan is set on normal and for only for the active household. With the first family I set it to also age unplayed households.
    It is working great at the moment because I play from Sunday to Sunday with each household and like this get to enjoy the season dinamically.

Yeah...not a fan of sims dressing themselves
  • purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member
    treece01 wrote: »
    I haven't gotten a chance to play Seasons much yet but I found it difficult to choose which save game I wanted to test seasons with since most of them I'm a pretty controlling rotational player.
    I feel like seasons will have a significant impact on rotational play. Normally I like to play one household for a week, from Sunday to Sunday but I feel like I'm going to need to restrategize.

I think my biggest concern is winter. I don't want to have to set all my played sims hot/cold weather clothes until I actually play that sim/household. Can currently uncontrolled played sims freeze to death while you are playing another household? In other words; if I'm currently playing X and run into Y from another played household at the park during a blizzard...can Y freeze to death since I can't currently control him/her?

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has experienced any interesting ways that seasons have effected your rotational play. I'm thinking gardening will be a little trickier now and having all your households experience the different seasons & holidays, etc.

To answer your question about uncontrolled Sims freezing to death.,.yes, they can.

I posted this same story on another thread yesterday, but I decided to throw an outdoor toddler play date during a heat wave. Some of the parents changed into their (hilarious) hot weather outfits, but not all of them. About 2 hours in, they started dropping so fast Grimmy couldn’t keep up.

(For what it’s worth, once I reloaded I tried again but used a different lot; one that has a building on it so they could go inside. This time everyone changed or showed up in the right outfit.)
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg

To answer your question about uncontrolled Sims freezing to death.,.yes, they can.

I posted this same story on another thread yesterday, but I decided to throw an outdoor toddler play date during a heat wave. Some of the parents changed into their (hilarious) hot weather outfits, but not all of them. About 2 hours in, they started dropping so fast Grimmy couldn’t keep up.

(For what it’s worth, once I reloaded I tried again but used a different lot; one that has a building on it so they could go inside. This time everyone changed or showed up in the right outfit.)

Hmm....I'm not opposed to townies dying but I generally don't want my played sims dying without my approval. Lol. But even if I set the hot/cold weather clothes for all my household is that a guarantee that they'll wear them appropriately when I'm not playing them?
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,847 Member
    I rotated just fast enough to see one of my played sims was about to die of freezing, I got the notification but managed to warm him up enough.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Kayla_ElaineKayla_Elaine Posts: 2,240 Member
    Neia wrote: »

I wish we could move the preset holidays to when we want them I want to keep them and use them in some of my more "traditional" game saves but I don't like when they fall. Maybe I can delete them and recreate them on the days I want? I haven't tried...I want to play without getting too entrenched in the tedium of setting things up yet.

You can delete and recreate the Holidays. I did it with Love Day because I wanted it earlier in Spring.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm also a rotational player. So far I've adjusted well but I'm playing in spring, so weather isn't too severe. I've decided that the 28 day length does work for me because I really like dragging each season out. It feels more realistic to me and I notice subtleties in the weather every day.

For my own play, I've just decided that I will not follow an exact timeline for when I play each household. I'll just play them when I want to and they will get to experience whatever the weather is at the time that I'm playing. Because I move between the different worlds, I'm experiencing a lot of different weather. I will admit that when I send sims to visit another world, I have no idea what the weather will be like there. It is kind of fun and also kind of an adjustment.

Weather is basically just another layer in my game but it does impact it a lot. I haven't done too many holidays yet but so far I've found that I just need to decide what household I am playing for a given holiday. None of them are aging unless I say so, so I will eventually repeat holidays with different families.

I've decided that I'll just add new holidays for a given household while I'm playing it and then I'll delete holidays if I switch houses and they aren't appropriate for it. Basically, it's all just another thing that I adjust. I don't think I'll be shortening the seasons with a large rotation though. If I play another save with just one household, I'd probably make each season 14 days. 7 just feels too short for me personally.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
    I rotated just fast enough to see one of my played sims was about to die of freezing, I got the notification but managed to warm him up enough.

Holy plumbob!! :hushed::heartbreak: I hope that will be patched out or someone will create a mod that prevents this. I don't mind townies and unplayed Sims to buy the farm but NOT my played Sims I'm not playing at any given time :lol:
    Stina1701A wrote: »

Holy plumbob!! :hushed::heartbreak: I hope that will be patched out or someone will create a mod that prevents this. I don't mind townies and unplayed Sims to buy the farm but NOT my played Sims I'm not playing at any given time :lol:

You can set your game to where your sims don't feel the temps but personally I don't want to do that. I do want to play with that aspect...but just with my currently played households. I had to quickly jump out of my current household to save one of my other sims from freezing to death. Idiot just kept walking in front of multiple buildings just cheerfully freezing to death. Luckily his son had the sense to warm up with a shower at the gym.
    I set their hot/cold weather clothes so maybe they'll wear them now?
    I guess I should set all my sims clothes but for now I'm just keeping an eye on all my sims and the weather and doing it gradually.