Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

PC NEWBIE: Will these prebuilt PCs be compatible with SIMS 3?

Please forgive my ignorance, but I’m very cluesless about computers and such.

I play TS3, Cities Skylines and Left 4 Dead, and I currently own a 2010 21inch iMac, and I’m officially done with it. While the graphics quality is beautiful and all, it’s slow and sometimes annoying. I guess due to all eps and sps I have. Lol anyways

So I’m looking to switch to a Windows and I’m wondering if you all could help me out. Doing some bit “research”, I was guided to the following prebuilt PCs

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by-hp-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-brushed-aluminum/5759916.p?skuId=5759916

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-GXIVR8020A5-Desktop-i5-8400-Processor/dp/B07B6H4GNY

Based on these options, could I sim on max settings? Are these a good option?

Also, what monitors would you recommend for the best HD resolution for ?

If it makes a difference, I’m based in the US.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    The TS3 issues you are currently having are more likely due to TS3 for Mac's built in 2 GB RAM limitation. The Mac version of this game is a mess. Unlike all of the others in the series, EA did not do a proper port of the game into the Mac OS and never returned to fix the Cider-wrapped version they do provide. I still sim on a late 2011 iMac with a decent graphics card, but gave up on the Mac version of the game years ago and play the Windows version instead through Bootcamp. The hardware handles it all just fine, or at least fine enough for a mid-range system from seven years ago. It's starting to get cranky, the system not the game, on startup but that's just its age showing. I'm the same way myself in the mornings these days. :/

City Skylines has some pretty hefty recommended requirements by comparison, so for that one it would depend on which model and configuration iMac you have from that year. Not familiar with Left4Dead, but it doesn't seem to be very resource hungry at first glance.

But moving on... for a "newbie" you picked two pretty good systems to consider.

The HP Omen's specs are fine for all of TS3 (and City Skylines) but there may be better choices. The product line isn't known for having the best of cooling systems and that could take some serious years off of its life expectancy although many players have been okay with them.

I like the sound of the Cyberpower one much better, the price is right, its processor is newer, and its graphics card although AMD rather than Nvidia is arguably stronger. In fact, several of us on the TS3 Tech Discussions board just recommended that same system on Amazon to another player a few days ago. I believe they ordered it but it hasn't arrived yet. Personally I would want a large SSD for a hard drive, but those drive up the price tag like crazy. I would also want 16 GB but that's not required and more RAM can be added later anyway.

On the monitor, it depends on your budget and how much you want to get out of it. There's a billion of them out there in all different price ranges.
    @phoebebebe13 - Any suggestions?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited June 2018
    @igazor @FreakZhio the cyberpower would be the better choice. City Skylines is pretty powerful . The HP would be hard to upgrade, no cooling etc.

monitor 1080p 60 hz

igazor when it comes to desktop and playing heavier games like city skylines @chesterbigbird is best to ask. They might need 16 gb ram