Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How should I create Ramadan?

I noticed that there are three settings for the duration of seasons so I would like to know how to create the Muslim traditions of Ramadan for all three starting with the 28-day duration that essentially turns the game into a micro version of the International Fixed Calendar only with 4 months instead of 13.

The traditions I have for the holiday are: Fasting, Appreciate an Object, Attend Ceremony, and Grand Meal.

The second tradition I might be wrong, but I thought Ramadan was also about appreciating what you have so that seemed fitting to me. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

I did the attend the ceremony because from what I researched there usually are ceremonies that break fast after sunset. Suhr and Iftar for which the latter seems to be held in a gathering setting.

But the problem is that I don't know to translate this into The Sims without literally putting the holiday on repeat for almost the entire summer month which also takes up room for other holidays that don't pertain to a specific culture. I wish this calendar was pure household and in order to make universal holidays for a world, you have to do it in the worldview. But can someone help me out here?

Comments

• GehemidGehemid Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm not a muslim, so I don't know everything about the ramadan. I spoke to some muslims this ramadan and maybe you could add the thankful spirit? They told me Ramadan is about appreciating what you have as well, right?

Maybe after the ramadan you can add the sugar festival (don't know if it's the right word as I am translating it directly from dutch) and adding grand meal, give gifts, festive spirit?

Then again I never celebrated it, so I might be wrong!
  • LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member
    Suhur is the pre-dawn meal, so your sims would get up before the sun rises so they can eat and drink lots of water before starting to fast. Then for the rest of the day until sunset, your sims can't eat or drink anything, including water. Iftar is the meal when they break the fast after the sun goes down. I guess that is when your sims would have their grand meal. After Ramadan is over, there is the day Eid al-Fitr. For Eid, you can have the traditions of grand meal, give gifts, and maybe invite guests to have their family over.

I've only been Muslim for 2 years, so there's still a lot I don't know, but I hope this helps.
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • FreakAboutSimsFreakAboutSims Posts: 795 Member
    Suhur is the pre-dawn meal, so your sims would get up before the sun rises so they can eat and drink lots of water before starting to fast. Then for the rest of the day until sunset, your sims can't eat or drink anything, including water. Iftar is the meal when they break the fast after the sun goes down. I guess that is when your sims would have their grand meal. After Ramadan is over, there is the day Eid al-Fitr. For Eid, you can have the traditions of grand meal, give gifts, and maybe invite guests to have their family over.

I've only been Muslim for 2 years, so there's still a lot I don't know, but I hope this helps.

Should I actually make the holiday on the calendar on repeat and then make a new holiday for Eid al-Fitr? That is what I am having problems with because this would take up almost a massive chunk of the year and I wouldn't be able to add any other holidays on those days. So what is a rational comprise from reality to Sims? If EA were designing such a holiday inspired by Ramadan, what would they do to better adapt to the calendar system? That is what I am having problems with.
  • LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member

Should I actually make the holiday on the calendar on repeat and then make a new holiday for Eid al-Fitr? That is what I am having problems with because this would take up almost a massive chunk of the year and I wouldn't be able to add any other holidays on those days. So what is a rational comprise from reality to Sims? If EA were designing such a holiday inspired by Ramadan, what would they do to better adapt to the calendar system? That is what I am having problems with.

Normally Ramadan is either 29 or 30 days, but the sims only get 28 days per season, so maybe you could make it repeat every day for a week. Then Eid would be the day after that. This way you would still have lots of days left over for other holidays.
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,965 Member
    Could you scale Ramadan to 8 days and Eid the nineth to keep a ratio close to the full year and move the start date to about match up with irl? It’s a bit like Easter which is determined by the moon phases so Easter can be early or late so it would maybe slide a bit on the 28 cycle for some from end of winter to mid spring.
    Could you scale Ramadan to 8 days and Eid the nineth to keep a ratio close to the full year and move the start date to about match up with irl? It’s a bit like Easter which is determined by the moon phases so Easter can be early or late so it would maybe slide a bit on the 28 cycle for some from end of winter to mid spring.

The moon phases from The Sims 3 Supernatural suddenly feel like they would be useful right about now.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2018
    The traditions I would add for Ramadan are Fasting, Festive Lighting, Attend Holiday Ceremony, Thankful Spirit, Remembrance, and Tell Stories.
  • mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    I have my seasons set to 2 weeks each, 8 weeks comprising a year. My sim’s Ramadan is condensed into 3 days in the middle of summer, as this made the most sense to me given the length of seasons and so on.

I have my sims fast from sundown to sunset, taking careful watch that they don’t autonomously sneak off to the fridge. The only exceptions are just as they are in real life: sick sims, pregnant sims and children are exempt from fasting. Only healthy sims, teen and older, fast. I have my sims spend a lot of their free time during Ramadan “in prayer” (meditating/doing yoga) and doing acts of charity, from donating money to cleaning up community lots.

This first Friday in summer marks the first day of Ramadan. The traditions are fasting, thankful spirit, remembrance, tell stories, and grand meal (at the end of the day).

The second day, Saturday, has the same traditions except that remembrance is swapped out for baking. All those who have the ability and skill to do so, bakes and cooks meals in preparation for the final day.

And on the last day, first Sunday of summer, the traditions are fasting, thankful spirit, fireworks, give gifts, and grand meal. When one of my Muslim sim families (the Al Saedy family) broke fast on the last day, they put on a huge celebration at their mosque and invited all the other families who worship there to the festivities. They brought all the dishes they had made the prior day to share with guests, and everyone got full bellies, had a lot of fun talking together, giving gifts, and finished the night with a beautiful fireworks display.

I really enjoyed playing Ramadan this way. It felt significant, but didn’t last long enough for me to get frustrated with constantly having to usher my sims away from the fridge. Boy do they make a beeline for the fridge the second their hunger drops out of green, but it’s worth it to distract them with something else and wait until sunset to break their fast. Gave it an air of realism despite the short length of the in game holiday.
    I just gave up on making it and only made a holiday inspired by it in the same fashion as the other pre-made holidays from both The Sims 4 Seasons and The Sims 3 Seasons. I call it, "Refrainment Day."
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,565 Member
    edited July 2018
    Oh, I was just about to help you out since I'm a Muslim. Hahaha.

But in case you change your mind, I think maybe you could make them fast on alternate days for a sim week. And on the final day where it's after Ramadan, that is where we eat and have a grand meal. Usually, in the morning if Syawal (the next month after Ramadan) and the occasion is called Eid Al-Fitri, like you said. That's when people would go to the mosque for prayers in tee morning, or some just stay at home and eat. They do other stuff too like ask for forgiveness, etc and after that, they go house visiting to their other relatives. :)
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • jenegeejenegee Posts: 108 Member
    I am planning to add muslim sims/holidays to my game so this is all really helpful info, thanks :)